• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Community Collection Thought

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok... I just was on my T-Hunter after working a Tamer for a bit... and it generally occurs to me that the deck is stacked against the T-Hunter.

Case in point... On my Tamer I can tame about 5 Unicorns in a minute.

As a T-Hunter a level 6 map will take me about 40 min to an hour.

So in 40 min to an hour a Tamer can rack up 50k to 75k in points... and a T-Hunter turning in his map after completion get... 20 points??????

Now... risk vs reward does this not seem like the deck is stacked???

If they are worried about someone turning in tons of maps well it's not like you can "make" maps. You have to kill things to get them.

How about making "Completed" maps worth about 10X more at least?

I'd prefer 15X more but well... What do you all think?

Not that I think Tamers points should be Nerfed... Heck I've been working on my Points slowly since the beginning and so far I have just finally broke 200k in points on my Tamer. So I think that's just where it should be...... but I think the T-Hunter and Fisherman need to be cut some slack here.

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can tame 5 unicorns in a minute? I know that they take atleast two or three control slots a piece. Add in the time that it would take you to recall or gate back to the zoo and the time it takes you to donate the unicorn to the zoo. At 120 taming I dont always succeed on the first try at taming a Kirin. Not to derail your thread as it is surely quicker and easier to donate a non aggressive animal than to do a high level map but in my experience 5 unicorns a minute is just a bit high.

F

FishinFool

Not levelling any accusations, but I fail to see how anyone could tame anything that quickly and consistently without running a script... even then, the act of taming can take upwards of 20-30 seconds.

Unicorns are a little special due to ilshenar, but you can't gate.

I tried several times to work on the zoo collection, collected about 35000 points before giving up to absolute, repetitive boredom and futility.

The collections decay far too quickly to maintain for "shard-pride" outside of a severe case of OCD.

Kri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not levelling any accusations, but I fail to see how anyone could tame anything that quickly and consistently without running a script... even then, the act of taming can take upwards of 20-30 seconds.

Unicorns are a little special due to ilshenar, but you can't gate.

I tried several times to work on the zoo collection, collected about 35000 points before giving up to absolute, repetitive boredom and futility.

The collections decay far too quickly to maintain for "shard-pride" outside of a severe case of OCD.
There is a spawn in Malas that you can recall to. The quoted times are probably an exaggeration but it can be done in a few minutes easily. At any rate it would be a lot quicker than doing a high level t-map (Not that I'm saying it's right or wrong... I don't really have a horse in this race.)

F

FishinFool

Yes, that's the one I would use for ki-rin. There is one of each in the north section past the giveaway-castle and one spawn south by the pixies.

Only problem is they do not respawn immediately and can appear in a rather large radius.. plus the hostile spawn can interfere with taming activities.

Basically, it can be done rather swiftly and only require recall since you can mount your sex-appropriate mount - but it does require 1 at a time. The ilshenar spawn has a number of unicorns that are quick to get to, but again 1 at a time since you cannot gate out... otherwise if you could, you'd be able to grab a 2nd one in a single trip - cutting your time down.

M

Muu Bin

Yes, that's the one I would use for ki-rin. There is one of each in the north section past the giveaway-castle and one spawn south by the pixies.

Only problem is they do not respawn immediately and can appear in a rather large radius.. plus the hostile spawn can interfere with taming activities.

Basically, it can be done rather swiftly and only require recall since you can mount your sex-appropriate mount - but it does require 1 at a time. The ilshenar spawn has a number of unicorns that are quick to get to, but again 1 at a time since you cannot gate out... otherwise if you could, you'd be able to grab a 2nd one in a single trip - cutting your time down.
:thumbsup:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

They respawn now almost the instant you tame one...

Taming change took place awhile back. And you can recall out and using the EC I can hop off that sucker and quickly target it's bar and turn it in and recall back tame another and yes I can do 4 or 5 in a min.... using the spawn there by that give away castle...... that's regardless of the fact that you are derailing the true issue of a Unicorn that I can tame in less than a min is worth 250 points and a level 6 map is only worth 20.

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not saying that you couldnt do it but youd have to be very fast to tame 4 to 5 unicorns a minute and donate them.

It takes on average 12-15 seconds per tame attempt.
Atleast another 5-7 to recall and donate the unicorn
Another 2-3 to recall back to the spawn area and find the next unicorn and start the process over.
On the low end you are looking at atleast around 20 seconds per tamed and donated unicorn.
So if you were extremely efficient at the process you would be lucky to get 3 a minute.
I think a person would have to be very proficient and dedicated or using a certain program to do as you suggested and accumulate 50k points in an hour donating unicorns.

On a side note yes it does seem a bit unbalanced that something as simple as taming a unicorn would net you more points than doing a high level map. That being said doing high level maps does have the possibility of making you alot more gold than the items from the zoo based on the time required to reap the rewards.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does it matter if you said "in a minute" as an expression or if it's actually literal ?!

I mean common guys...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What I'm really getting at is that at this "rate" I'll NEVER reap a reward from maps.... EVER.

It's taken me over 5 years to get up to 200k in Taming points and I play UO a LOT a LOT... 5 years...

I've got 2k in points turning in maps..... I'm not ever going to reach 200k at this rate. The world will end before I EVER see a reward from turning in my maps.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's got high levels of fluoride, you should know that...

besides I'll have lots more respect for you if you are a woman and endured all along...

F

Fayled Dhreams

What I'm really getting at is that at this "rate" I'll NEVER reap a reward from maps.... EVER.

It's taken me over 5 years to get up to 200k in Taming points and I play UO a LOT a LOT... 5 years...

I've got 2k in points turning in maps..... I'm not ever going to reach 200k at this rate. The world will end before I EVER see a reward from turning in my maps.
If you are only getting 20 points for a level 6 Tmap ...

you are doing it wrong ...

There is "some" junk in that Tchest ...
that >should be< getting converted over ...

to maximize its "value"
for your donations ...

Just the raw gp from the chest and its "guardians" springs to mind ...

*grins*

Learn to recycle/re-purpose your resources ...
and math ...
learn math ... :lol:

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to defend MagaAste a bit here. You guys are right if you only after one of the shared rewards, but if you want to Treasures and Trinkets Reading Glasses and want to stay true to the spirit on not just dump millions in gold or as blank scrols on it, then it is nigh impossible.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey... common now, pls don't "you guys" anyone, it's not polite.

UO is full of incomprehensible and pathetic mistakes which I could correct in about a week of hobby time if given access to the server code.

But in 10 years of raking in millions a MONTH, UO is incapable of even producing a hack-free and nausea-free client.

Go figure !

W

Woodsman

UO is full of incomprehensible and pathetic mistakes which I could correct in about a week of hobby time if given access to the server code.

But in 10 years of raking in millions a MONTH, UO is incapable of even producing a hack-free and nausea-free client.
People who say they could fix it in their spare time have got to be sarcastic or they don't know much about development, and I'm assuming you are being sarcastic.

Sorry, but the CC will never be hack-free, and I would say it goes back longer than 10 years because I remember some of the stuff people were doing back then. As for nausea, I don't think the CC is as bad as some think it is, but I would suggest playing the EC.

Honestly though, even though it's easy to bash the CC and all of the scripting done with it, if they could figure out how to keep people from using illegal third party programs with the CC, those players and script developers would probably just try and move to the EC.

The problem is not just all of the scripting stuff available for the CC, it's a problem of enforcement.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I have to defend MagaAste a bit here. You guys are right if you only after one of the shared rewards, but if you want to Treasures and Trinkets Reading Glasses and want to stay true to the spirit on not just dump millions in gold or as blank scrols on it, then it is nigh impossible.
if ya want to remain "true to your Spirit" ...

Donating to the zoo should ONLY be animals from a tamer ... right?

not scraps from other types ... thunters raggedy old USED maps ... huh?
I mean ...
you gonna go all nose in the air snobbish about mere crass gp ... right?
Shouldn't a miner get good value for the unsmeltable scraps too then?

oooooooo !

Burma dry Shaved ... :danceb:

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Woodsman... I have programmed for OSI back in 1999-2000 and let me tell you that for most in game scripts, they are as easy to edit as a post on stratics.

Expecially such little problems as we are talking about.

The EC gives people nausea...

in what kind of world you been living recently ? I wish I could upgrade to the EC and not feel so sickned...

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
utterly worthless to turn in maps to community box.
15x / map is a good start