• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Commodity Deed Box why ties to vet rewards at all?

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously the commodity deed box is something that should be avaliable as a basic game function. There is no need to complicate the process by making it a vet reward, or by who and what can place the box and use it.
DC:sad4:

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree.
Since the introduction of commodity deeds I have been saying there should be some way to claim/fill deeds in your home. I was so happy when I heard this was going to come true, but then deeply saddened when I found out it was going to be a vet reward.

I really hope the Dev's change their minds on this one and make it available to all of us, regardless of account age.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Maybe a holiday present......an then after that it's only a Vet Reward.......

I

Ifful

Agreed 100%.

I am a 6-year vet (soon to be 7) who spent years enviously waiting for vet reward items. When I was a new player, I could not understand why I should be denied the rights that vets enjoy (dye tubs, ethys, robes). Now, as a vet, I still do not understand why others are denied the rights I enjoy. I certainly do not wish that waiting time upon anyone. The whole idea of vet rewards is plain stupid, imo, and not just because people can buy vet accounts, but because new players are neither more nor less important to UO, and as a matter of course and basic decency should be given equal "rights" to items.

When I was still in my 2nd year complaining about this issue, some "holier-than-thou" 5th-year vets told me that I would change my mind once I was in UO as long as them. Sorry, pals, no sale...

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously the commodity deed box is something that should be avaliable as a basic game function. There is no need to complicate the process by making it a vet reward, or by who and what can place the box and use it.
Geez! It's a First Year Reward! What's the big deal! If they made it a fifth or higher, I could see complaining, but the fact it's a 1st year reward will effect about 1% of all accounts.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need to empower resource scripting on throwaway accounts.

Don't you think that it will be rare for a genuine first-year player will ever need to commodify their resources?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Geez! It's a First Year Reward! What's the big deal! If they made it a fifth or higher, I could see complaining, but the fact it's a 1st year reward will effect about 1% of all accounts.
Look at it this way these are going to become a commodity either way you look at it based on how much functionality they are adding to the game in terms of simplifying game play. Would you rather it be something people are going to sell for high prices or something that you can easily acquire from an NPC? Or like I mentioned do a one time Holiday gift for them, and after that make them a vet reward sort of like what happened with Soulstones. They were a Pre-Order gift Twice before becoming a Vet reward.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Don't you think that it will be rare for a genuine first-year player will ever need to commodify their resources?

Honestly I don't think it's that rare. How often do you buy regs in Bulk quantities for alchemy? Boards for working carp? Ingots for a smith? Ever camp IDOCs? When I was doing it rather regularly I would hit houses with several deeds for 60k boards, or ingots. Ever as a newer player Move houses? I did a lot working my way up in size based on locations, wouldn't it be nice not to have to do all the shuffle of Items to bank to Deed then from Deed to new house or just multiple trips from the old house to the new? I know right now if I was to move houses I would need 4 pack horses just to move my Nightshade.

For the first 2 years my account has been open (I'd left UO and came back with new accounts 3 years later) I did IDOC's when I wasn't working skills. In less than the first year it brought me several million gold enough resources to GM Carpentry, Bowcraft, Alchemy, Inscription, Cartography, Smithing, Tailoring, and Tinkering, enough BODs to claim multiple Barbed Kits, a Keep, not to mention lots of other tasty pieces of Pixel crack.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In your first year? really?

( ok, yes house moving was a bit of a pain I remember, but it wasn't too bad - just a couple of extra trips and it was a good incentive to use the resources )

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many vets do you think already chose thier rewardsa and are out of picks? I would say a lot.

I agree 100% it is rediculous to make it a vet reward.
It should be built into every single house. Just like trash barrels you should simply say you want to place one and poof!!!! its there.

K

KoolAidAddict

/signed

Fess it up, EA.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I initially felt the same way, that this was a lame item to have as a vet reward. It should be something like the smelting bag, where you can buy it from an NPC and everybody can have one. But I think Maplestone made a very good point about not wanting people to use these on throw away accounts which would greatly encourage scripting.

So how about a compromise Devs... Make these items available from NPC bankers, but make it so your account has to be at least 6 months old, or even a year old to use them. This way most everybody could use them and not have to waste a vet reward choice, while at the same time denieing them to throw away accounts?
I love the fact that I will finally be able to use com deeds in my house, but cringe at the fact I will have to use one of my 10 year vet picks to get one. These are so useful to all players, it really should be something each house can have.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I initially felt the same way, that this was a lame item to have as a vet reward. It should be something like the smelting bag, where you can buy it from an NPC and everybody can have one. But I think Maplestone made a very good point about not wanting people to use these on throw away accounts which would greatly encourage scripting.

So how about a compromise Devs... Make these items available from NPC bankers, but make it so your account has to be at least 6 months old, or even a year old to use them. This way most everybody could use them and not have to waste a vet reward choice, while at the same time denieing them to throw away accounts?
I love the fact that I will finally be able to use com deeds in my house, but cringe at the fact I will have to use one of my 10 year vet picks to get one. These are so useful to all players, it really should be something each house can have.
I really like that idea. Would be better to have to be a year old to use and have them tradeable and buyable.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
In your first year? really?

( ok, yes house moving was a bit of a pain I remember, but it wasn't too bad - just a couple of extra trips and it was a good incentive to use the resources )
When I opened the first of my new accounts I placed a house in 3 days..from collecting and selling stuff to NPC's people tossed out around the bank.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I hadn't thought about the impact it would have on scripting with them being available to everyone regardless of age. It's a very good point. That reason alone is a good argument for why it should be a vet reward.

On the 2nd part of your post though, I have to disagree. During my first year of play I gathered a ton of ingots (my first char was a smith) from working up mining. I would say by the time I had finished my mining, and started using those ingots for smithing I had close to 200k. In the meantime I had moved a few times, and schlepping those ingots from house to house was always the biggest problem. Mostly because I was new and fairly poor so housing that I could afford wasn't always in an area where it was safe to have a packhorse running around.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I see nothing wrong with it being a vet reward, special not being a 1 years reward.

C

Coppelia

Here's what wrong : it takes 1 vet reward point away. Get the picture?

H

Harb

Mostly agreed (see Maplestone's comment above), but easily fixed with an additional pick for everyone. Reposted from another thread:

My understanding of vet rewards is that they are a way to say "thank you" from the corporate/ dev side to the players for continued years of loyalty. This is a premise that at times seems lost. It seems to me that what should be important is taking a moment each year to say thanks. Or don't, I'm OK with that too. We say thanks by continued subscriptions and purchases, if EA/ Mythic/ Dev want to say thanks, rewards should be as unrestrictive as possible. I can accept the basis of years of play having meaning, but only because rewards can actually serve as an incentive for times to come. Remember this is the third time reward choices have lagged behind account ages, once everyone was given an additional pick, this seems to mark the second time no additional picks were provided. We'll have to see, we're not at the public release 11th anniversary quite yet. It actually does irritate me when items are backdated and our picks are already expended. It takes the sincere "you're welcome" out of the potentially sincere "thank you." No vet reward creates any form of play imbalance. Keep them or sell them, again, what difference does it really make? Who cares that a player vendor may sell a year 1 reward for less than a year 11 reward - it has absolutely nothing to do with EA saying thanks to an 11 year player. And while I'm ranting, random rewards that can't be redeeded - please :(

My view is 1) when pub 56 hits, give out an additional pick or two to everyone. 2) Establish an NPC that allows players to turn in any vet reward and claim another reward that the player is qualified to receive.

It seems no more complicated than that.

Oh, and for anyone caring to speculate about 11/12 year rewards, Kurgan posted a spoiler alert back in early July that seems to point to what these rewards may be, it's still in the database somewhere!

L

love2winalot

Hail: Here is the thing, most players use what they get. Most turned in their points, and claimed the rewards, most get vet rewards and then use them It is a vast minority that get rewards, ect, and then sit on them.

So, your acct is 83 months old. It turns 84 tomorrow. Oh yea, i can get that cool tree stump, or the bloody pentagam. But Nooooooo, now you are forced to waste a high end vet reward on a first year reward to get the commodity box.

It should be part of the 11th anvy reward for accounts over 90 days old, or some such thing. Anything except a Vet Reward.......:gun:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hail: Here is the thing, most players use what they get. Most turned in their points, and claimed the rewards, most get vet rewards and then use them It is a vast minority that get rewards, ect, and then sit on them.

So, your acct is 83 months old. It turns 84 tomorrow. Oh yea, i can get that cool tree stump, or the bloody pentagam. But Nooooooo, now you are forced to waste a high end vet reward on a first year reward to get the commodity box.

It should be part of the 11th anvy reward for accounts over 90 days old, or some such thing. Anything except a Vet Reward.......:gun:
See that's what I'm saying...not only is this an item that people have begged for years to get, it also is coming out kinda late in the game. With so many other very useful items as Vet Rewards, like the Soul Stones I don't know many folks that have saved any much less multiple vet reward picks.

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/signed

I will have to wait another year to get a box and use up a reward choice for it.

Give it to us as a gift for the anniversary or something. Offer tokens as a gift with the option to pick the deed box.

K

Kyrie_Elaison

Second this idea.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Commodity deeds were originally created as a method to sell bulk items easily from one player to another. Previously you had to trust the seller to drop the item on the ground after you purchased it. They were not meant to be the means of transporting bulk items from your bank to your house. That is what pack animals are for.

Keeping the box semi-rare will help balance item management.

P

PixelPusher

How many vets do you think already chose thier rewardsa and are out of picks? I would say a lot.
*Raises Hand*
3 months until I hit 5 years and get one more pick...

My view is 1) when pub 56 hits, give out an additional pick or two to everyone. 2) Establish an NPC that allows players to turn in any vet reward and claim another reward that the player is qualified to receive.
+

/signed

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Commodity deeds were originally created as a method to sell bulk items easily from one player to another. Previously you had to trust the seller to drop the item on the ground after you purchased it. They were not meant to be the means of transporting bulk items from your bank to your house. That is what pack animals are for.

Keeping the box semi-rare will help balance item management.

I miss those days...I made a killing in the back room of Brit bank....

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about these concepts?:
1) You can't have everything -
2) Pick and choose and live with the choices ( there's also the fact that you will be able to buy them from other players )
3) Buy pack animals

having to wait for something wont kill anyone ... people have been doing without them for literally years now and have still SOMEHOW managed to survive ...Commodity Deed Boxes as a 1Yr Vet Reward is a nice item.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's what wrong : it takes 1 vet reward point away. Get the picture?
Right. It's much better to use a Vet Reward point on a Flaming Head or a Statuette than something that actually has value.:coco:

L

Lore Master

while i do agree it was not the best idea to make this a yearly vet reward it would have been better if it was a gift or new craftable item, or an expensive item you can buy from a npc in my opinion but i am not complaining i am just happy that we are getting them.

C

Coppelia

You can't have everything, you have to make choices.
Yes, I choose to ask for it to be available for all without spending a vet reward.

Who are you to tell me to make choices? UO game designer?
Choices must be made were they have a sense. Like do I follow Shadowlords or not?
But another item to make your game more comfortable? There's only frustration to be here. But if your masochist, I assume you don't get what I'm saying.

The vet reward limit is totally arbitrary and founded on nothing. I don't see how it makes the "choice" so sacred. Do you feel noble elite to have chosen it rather than the ankh or the runebook dye tube? Do you have several accounts to have enough points to spend to fulfill your demands?
Oh now I remember, yes, you have. Don't tell me to make choice when you pay to escape from those choices.

C

Coppelia

Right. It's much better to use a Vet Reward point on a Flaming Head or a Statuette than something that actually has value.:coco:
I'm baffled by your lack of mind presence. Count all the dye tub, the ankh, the banner (probably want several), soulstones, ethies (maybe you want more than one for 5-7 characters)...
You're a big troll I think.

F

Flora Green

That sounds like the most reasonable compromise. I would love to have one, but I'm simply not going to waste a reward point. They are reconsidering the braziers and cacti, perhaps they'll rethink this as well. But, it needs to be fast considering it's already on test, it's the weekend when NO ONE responds and it might be on Origin in a matter of days. Hopefully the box will at least be usable by friends of the house and not account specific.

H

Harb

How about these concepts?:
1) You can't have everything -
True enough, but what does this have to do with a) the box being a vet reward and b) methodology for vet rewards?

2) Pick and choose and live with the choices ( there's also the fact that you will be able to buy them from other players )
Vet rewards themselves are gifts from EA to say "thanks" for years of playing/ paying. If you want additional rewards, sure you can buy them from other players who have chosen not to use them or have gathered them from other sources - but again, this has nothing to do with the process of how EA says "thanks." I don't understand why one might insist on "live with it." I think an NPC allowing for turn-in of unused items to regain your selection fundamental to the process of empowering players. What is the detremental effect of trading in a copper cloak for a crimson one, or a lich statue for an effret statue? You're not going to corner the market on lumber by trading in a banner deed for a tree stump, or adversely affect anyone by trading in a decorative ahkn for one that resurrects! Swap an ethereal horse for a cu, so what? Empower, don't restrict. If you're into player vendors, it will benefit you to redeed the daemon statue and sell a cannon deed. Nobody loses. Everyone wins.

3) Buy pack animals.

having to wait for something wont kill anyone ... people have been doing without them for literally years now and have still SOMEHOW managed to survive ...Commodity Deed Boxes as a 1Yr Vet Reward is a nice item.
Not the issue IMO. Placing items in back of selection is. This part needs a fixin. I'd be all for a means of attaining the boxes other than as a reward were it not for Maplestones earlier observation. Best to ya.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I really like that idea. Would be better to have to be a year old to use and have them tradeable and buyable.
//Double Signed

L

Lord Drakelord

I have to agree, and am glad its only first year reward. Going to use our younger account to get two or three for us.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed.

Should be purchasable from the NPC for like 100k.

L

Lord Drakelord

Agreed.

Should be purchasable from the NPC for like 100k.
Or they could give everyone one of the boxes per account the day this goes live. This way you don't lose a vet reward you saving and you get a box for the account.

F

Fox (Europa)

Commodity deed box for all. Being able to place a banker in your house: vet reward.

Fox

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:coco:
I'm baffled by your lack of mind presence. Count all the dye tub, the ankh, the banner (probably want several), soulstones, ethies (maybe you want more than one for 5-7 characters)...
You're a big troll I think.
No. Categorically disagreeing with the OP's opinion does not make me a troll. I'm just completely baffled why so many feel they should be given things for nothing more than their monthly membership. I believe most of the Vet rewards are worthless and I'm glad to see some new things that actually have value.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter whether you spend the vet point on one of these or something else. You'll be able to buy them within a few days after the publish from Luna Vendors. I have 6 Polar Bears and I only used one Vet reward on them. Those are 9-year rewards; can you imagine how many 1st year rewards you'll find?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, the bears are 8th or 9th year, but your logic still is valid, Setnaffa.

I think the ONLY vet rewards I've claimed in the last 3-4 years (with two accounts becoming 6-year accounts between December and March), have been the account-bound ones. Everything else, I've bought or recovered from IDOCs - and I would have had to have had 8-10 6-year old accounts to claim all the vet reward items I have through just claiming them, instead of 2 5s and a 4.

These boxes WILL be available from people selling them, within hours of their activation. That's because there are so many BOD runner accounts, holiday trading accounts, and the like that stay active at least several months a year, if not year-round, that people also harvest their vet rewards from.

Ethys under 6th year aren't rare anymore, so no one is gonna be saving rewards on a 12 to 48 month old account they only harvest items (be they BODs aor holliday/anniversary stuff) from. They might grab a banner or the like for a quick sale or for personal deco, but they hold onto them, then will spend several on new low-end items that may come out (like these boxes). they still won't spend all their excess choices, but they sure won't be trying to save them for a 10 year reward in 2015.

Perhaps the best thing they could do this anniversary would be to give all accounts a token for a free extra vet reward.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess i don;t understand why people who have everything have to post about commodity deed boxes being a vet reward or not. The elite who never have to use a reward and just buy from others don't seem to realise not everyone is so lucky. I actually use my choices so I don't have to soend million + to get an ethy mount. I'm a 10 yr vet why spend a vet reward on a 1st year choice. They originally said the vet rewards would stop at yr 3. They at yr 4 we got more skill pts. If I could trun in earlier vet choices for new ones sure that would be nice, but you can't. I don't have any vet choices sit on my account. Commodidty deed box is a game mechanic not a reward it kinda like having to chose having a bank box a vet reward. Lastly, I could care less about scripting I already can't hunt in ilsh because the amount of time getting makes the experience unsatisfying without BoS. Another loss for the player because of the scripter. Now pets will have to be walked in also to ilsh with the next publish. I'm a pvmer I like monster bashing my 2-3 hrs of playing time i get per week. moving regs and ingots from house to house should be easy not a pack mule nightmare. Jesus let players get something and just ban the damn scripters for heavens sake rather then stealing from players.
Sorry turned into a rant.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree. It is rare that anyone under 1 year in the game is going to amass that much of anything that they need something like this.

Not to mention we have all lived without such a luxury up until now. New players will survive a year of the game without a commodity deed box just fine.

H

Harb

I guess i don;t understand why people who have everything have to post about commodity deed boxes being a vet reward or not. The elite who never have to use a reward and just buy from others don't seem to realise not everyone is so lucky. I actually use my choices so I don't have to soend million + to get an ethy mount. I'm a 10 yr vet why spend a vet reward on a 1st year choice.
Agreed.

If I could trun in earlier vet choices for new ones sure that would be nice, but you can't.
That's my point, you should be able to.

I don't have any vet choices sit on my account. Commodidty deed box is a game mechanic not a reward it kinda like having to chose having a bank box a vet reward.
I don't disagree, but if Mythic wants to go this route, fine, just give everyone an additional 1 or 2 picks. And Maplestone did make a good point, cited above, which may have been the influencing factor from Mythic's perspective.

Jesus let players get something and just ban the damn scripters for heavens sake rather then stealing from players. Sorry turned into a rant.
OK, agreed. I don't think anyone thus far is really far off point, though some of the "me, mine, me" business may have crept in just a tad a couple times.

S

Sindris

If I can go 11 years without the benefit of resource deeds in my houses, I think new players will muddle through. I keep seeing people talking about "fair" with these vet rewards. None of us had to wait any longer than anyone else. In fact, vet rewards did not even exist for like the first three years. We did not have soulstones for years after that. New players have so many more useful items now than at launch its just silly to complain about older players getting some items first.

With the exception of Ethereal mounts, none of the vet rewards offer ANY real gameplay advantage. Yes, some allow cosmetic changes, (dye tubs) but nothing any of the rest of us didn't have to go without.

Everyone gets the same rewards once they put in the time.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally think this should be an item you can buy from an NPC Banker, a crafted item, or a "tile" tied into the existing housing system.

We have been asking for many years for this feature. It is just that a game feature, something that is functional and will/can alter the way resources are handled in game. It is a little bit insultinting that such a basic (in my mind) alteration of resource use would be deemed a reward. It is a feature that should have been implemented in the basics of the game code ages ago.

I can understand why the devs didnt simply recode the deeds to be used in any secure container. Through the years many of the containers looted from monsters have been unstable when made secure. The need to isolate this code in a specific item is understandable. But wouldnt it be better to have this as part of the housing system itself? Anyone who can get a house IMO should be able to redeem the deeds in their house without it being deemed a reward.

Veteran rewards should be more of a decorative, token nature.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Uhm, no not at all.

My accounts are 7 months and 6 months, the one month difference is due to EA/M's ... choices in marketing and I have had 2 accounts for 7 months. I had to forfiet one to be able to have 2 ML enabled accounts.

Now then, I routinely collect hides and ingots for people on my shard and NOT being able to turn them into deeds is a pita as well as I buy CD's for resources and then need to make all kinds of trips back and forth between the house and the bank.

EA/M should just accept its universal appeal and functionality and make it a Birthday Gift. A UO Birthday Gift. Or perhaps more appropriately a Party Favor handed out by UO to the community.

C

Connor_Graham

Uhm, no not at all.

My accounts are 7 months and 6 months, the one month difference is due to EA/M's ... choices in marketing and I have had 2 accounts for 7 months. I had to forfiet one to be able to have 2 ML enabled accounts.

Now then, I routinely collect hides and ingots for people on my shard and NOT being able to turn them into deeds is a pita as well as I buy CD's for resources and then need to make all kinds of trips back and forth between the house and the bank.

EA/M should just accept its universal appeal and functionality and make it a Birthday Gift. A UO Birthday Gift. Or perhaps more appropriately a Party Favor handed out by UO to the community.
You're also not a beginning player, but a returning vet. Big difference.

Lord Bishop

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This to me has nothing to do with being a 1st yr -11 yr vet and what you amass resource wise. It is a pick from a reward system to get a game function. I have had a difficult time moving scrolls, boards, and hides. Ingots atleast are a 10-1 ratio in weight. What is the terrible tragedy to having this available without it being a reward? Please don't say scripting I don't know much about it but I can imagine you can run a script to move resourses. :coco:

Marcellis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
6 months until I can get one. I'm not going to spend the millions(you know it), just to have one. Should be like a trash barrel, or be part of the increased space code that they sell at the uo game code site. Make it retroactive for those that have already purchased it. :D