• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comment for UO PVPers: UO dev people do quietly fix cheatlike/abusive things.

• Thread starter Revenant2
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

Revenant2

I know of a number of PVP abuses (and have submitted some of them in bug reports if I thought they might not know about them), and I occasionally check to see if the abuses have been removed. I'm happy to report that as time goes on, I see some of the abuses being fixed. You don't necessarily see mention in the patch notes when it happens, you just test and see that the abusive thing no longer works.

The one I noticed most recently is that an abuse of bolas that was related to being mounted has been removed. I saw it being used by the most unscrupulous PVPers I knew of, and indirectly, they were teaching the use of this overpowered, abusive bola method to their enemies and allies alike through their bad example. The most overpowered form of the methodology was affording them the effects of an ethereal mount without any mounting delay, too. Not any more, though! A key step of the abusive process has been eliminated.

This most abusive form of it was generating exclamations from victims like "How did he just bola me while he's mounted! He just bolad me and he didn't dismount!". It was more involved than that though, and the perception that the person stayed mounted or perhaps had no dismount-timer of his own after doing the bola was incorrect. The methodology was overpowered enough to create this impression in some circumstances, though.

I think some of the abuses/cheats must be harder to fix than others, and they all take time to work through and change. I know of two right now that appear to be pretty involved to fix, even though they are not hard to duplicate in testing when given accurate instructions.

So yeah I just wanted to say that. I can't speak for how things were handled, say, 2 years ago and before, but as of right this second there are some cheatlike things which quietly disappear as time goes on. People who aren't doing the abuse or don't realize themselves how the abuse works wouldn't necessarily realize that the bad effect is gone, but their general experiences with this kinda stuff should become more positive.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am surprised they actually fixed that and sneaky bout it at that. Good to see this kind of BS go away silently though. I can't complain a bit with the quality of gameplay correction this year. I think they have stomped out more problems in the game in the last 6 months than all prior fixes up to that point combined lol.