• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Come play on Oceania!

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok so here's the deal. Oceania is in need of some xshard help. There's a loyal and dedicated player base on the shard, but not a large one at all. So this is a call to arms to all UO fans everywhere! Come and make a char on Oceania or xshard a char over.

The shard offers the added benefits of offering ample room to place a house, all the best PvM spots are uncrowded and you'll have almost complete freedom to spawn in Fel and farm PS. 99% of the time you'll even be able to farm rats at Despise and have nobody disturb you, then you can get super rich by xsharding all those scrolls back to Atl or somewhere like that.

More and more Oceanian's have been returning recently but they need to see a shard populated with a decent amount of other players if they are to stay. So jump on Oceania and help the Australian UO community rebuild!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly trying to play on Oceana is like trying to move thru molasses... I've been there.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly trying to play on Oceana is like trying to move thru molasses... I've been there.
Same here. I get the same problem visiting the rares fest at the moment. I can only move one square every 5 seconds or so.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Same here. I get the same problem visiting the rares fest at the moment. I can only move one square every 5 seconds or so.
Right and doing that it just isn't possible to do much more than log in and out for gifts. No way I could actually do a dungeon crawl or anything.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok so here's the deal. Oceania is in need of some xshard help. There's a loyal and dedicated player base on the shard, but not a large one at all. So this is a call to arms to all UO fans everywhere! Come and make a char on Oceania or xshard a char over.

The shard offers the added benefits of offering ample room to place a house, all the best PvM spots are uncrowded and you'll have almost complete freedom to spawn in Fel and farm PS. 99% of the time you'll even be able to farm rats at Despise and have nobody disturb you, then you can get super rich by xsharding all those scrolls back to Atl or somewhere like that.

More and more Oceanian's have been returning recently but they need to see a shard populated with a decent amount of other players if they are to stay. So jump on Oceania and help the Australian UO community rebuild!
Sadly I think many of the shards need "rebuilding". Player base seems wayyyy down. Lot of fairly empty shards. :(

Hope you get some players though!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sadly I think many of the shards need "rebuilding". Player base seems wayyyy down. Lot of fairly empty shards. :(

Hope you get some players though!
Agree... I was remarking to my friends the other day that I believe I just visited the least populated shard on UO and it wasn't Oceana.... It was Balhae... South side Luna almost totally free, 2 maybe 3 buildings about Tokuno.... ONE in New Magincia tram... in the brief look I had about I think I saw at LEAST 4 Castle sized plots open... and that was a short tour... I stopped after that and went wow..... if only my ping didn't stink to this shard! But much like Oceana.... no way I could play there either. Was a beautiful shard though. Lovely decore at Luna Bank... Nice stuff all about. Loved the Dragon. But not hardly a vendor to be seen with anything actually "for sale". One vendor in the heart of luna looked like it was the hidden box storage of someone since that's all it had on it was boxes and such marked "not for sale". But yeah definitely a dying place. My own shard is beginning to look that way.

Not sure what we can do about it. Part of me wants to say that I should quit putting any "extra" money into UO and not buy anymore tokens or anything from the store as it will be a waste as UO is truly dying now... another part says that perhaps if I don't UO will die from lack of funds... I don't know. Seriously concerned is all I can say. But then it is back to school time and it's always slow this time of year. Folk are busy with holidays and family and not with playing UO. But each year it seems to get worse and worse.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Winter is how you know UO's true activity level. Every Summer, people leave to do real stuff, population gets cut in half, then Fall/Winter comes and they have nothing better to do than play UO, so activity increases.

UO's activity level right now in Winter 2014, is about equal to Summer of 2013. That is not a good thing, it means we've lost about HALF of our active players in the last year. (Atlantic).

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Outside of the fact that it's a production server (with insurance), I don't think I could play Oceania...Aussies talk funny...la

Elden of Baja

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly Oceania should just be trying to get all the players back that left for Hokuto over the Great Server Scandal.

Christina Kardos

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Best thing we can do to increase the number of players is to advertise the game ourselves and to tell all our friends who used to play to come back . Oh and facebook is a nice free way to advertise. Btw in my opinion Atl looks fine...

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To fix the lag issue that arises from connecting to Oceania from the US or elsewhere, I recommend using the Lower Ping program. They have just recently opened a server in Sydney (the city in Australia where Oceania is hosted) which will greatly reduce your lag if you use it. I have used it in the past while shopping on US shards and it really does make a dramatic difference. Check it out: http://www.lowerping.com/

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Balhae is quiet. But as someone who has played there daily now for several years and runs a small shop selling essential items (it's not in Luna), I can tell you that the population on Balhae HAS picked up in the last couple of months. Although I have yet to be able to attend any of the events EM Takako has scheduled for Balhae, I have noticed that he IS still diligently scheduling them and he is very good about not letting the town criers bark news for weeks/months after an event has actually occurred. (He's got a Christmas event scheduled for the 21st.) I've run into at least 3 English-speaking players in the last couple of months who recently returned to UO--one Canadian who seems to have returned from about a 6-month break or so and two others who told me they were returning after about a 10-year absence. I see Korean players daily as well and talk to a couple of them fairly often (thank goodness they are gracious enough to have conversations with me in English!)

Yes, it is a very quiet shard and at this point you could easily find a place to put a shop in Luna or place a keep or maybe even a castle. I hope someday a few people are willing to give it a try and actually want to put in the time to run a shop selling some of the items that seem to mostly get transferred off to Atlantic anymore. Not everyone who returns to UO has built up enough time to be able to claim shard shields nor do they want to invest a lot of money, I think, into buying transfer tokens from EA and gold from broker to purchase items on Atlantic and ship them to Balhae. I think a lot of the people who come back to the quieter shards would stick around a whole lot longer if more people would dedicate themselves to trying to directly cater to those shards by selling basics like power and stat scrolls and also useful artifacts. I'm not power-gamer enough to even attempt to do that on Balhae. There is one Korean player who sells 110 power scrolls and a few artifacts and I constantly tell the returnees I see to badger him via his bulletin board if they need specific items. However, I really think there's an opportunity there for people to make a difference and probably rack up some good gold if they wanted to open a shop on Balhae. I really don't think it is as "dead" as people want to believe it is. If you're visiting at peak playing time for North America, I know you're definitely missing the Korean and Japanese players.

Oh well. Enough of my yammering. Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there.
Actually I work nights so when I visit I would think it would be middle of the day there... or late evening or whatever but yeah I play UO in the middle of the night when very few in the USA are on. And I would be glad to do things if it weren't so very, very laggy for me there and on Oceana...

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
A lot of the x shard people build characters on shards that give item drops. Massana in essence stated that the population on Oceania doesn't warrant items to drop for events. Clearly this is a catch 22. You can't get cross shard people without items. Without items there will be no cross shard people.

There is going to be a meet and greet on Oceania at 12 / 14 / 2014 at the counselors hall at 6 PM AEDT Or 12 /13/ 2014 at 12 AM PST Or 5 AM GMT on the 14th.

I know these hours are ruff for most of us but if you can come for just a character count it might help some.

PS- would you guys stop with the doom and gloom. I really don't want to hear it.
Atlantic is drawing more then it should is the problem.

Thank you
Ox

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A lot of the x shard people build characters on shards that give item drops. Massana in essence stated that the population on Oceania doesn't warrant items to drop for events. Clearly this is a catch 22. You can't get cross shard people without items. Without items there will be no cross shard people.

There is going to be a meet and greet on Oceania at 12 / 14 / 2014 at the counselors hall at 6 PM AEDT Or 12 /13/ 2014 at 12 AM PST Or 5 AM GMT on the 14th.

I know these hours are ruff for most of us but if you can come for just a character count it might help some.

PS- would you guys stop with the doom and gloom. I really don't want to hear it.
Atlantic is drawing more then it should is the problem.

Thank you
Ox
I wouldn't play on Atlantic even if transferring there were FREE. What irks me is all the Xshard BS that goes on at events on my own shard. You know I give a rats if someone wants to sell their item/drop to someone else for big dollars... but the fact of the matter is I'd like the opportunity to actually GET a drop on my shard without having to compete for it with 30 people from every other shard there to come and take my chance to get it from me so they can go sell it for hundreds of dollars/billions of gold that I don't have. It's really irritating that folk who come to the event to actually enjoy the event and appreciate the time and effort put into it by EM's have to put up with jerks who come only for the drop, don't care about the shard... and care even less about the event.

Which means that folk like me who would treasure and care about the item as much as the event and actually try to enjoy the event.. keep our items and don't unload them the instant they are obtained... have a drastically lessened chance to get one because folk wanting to make billions in gold or hundreds in dollars feel the need to come to other shards and take that opportunity from us. And again I will say that I wish they would listen to us...

They should either no longer do drops, give a drop to EVERYONE who attends... or make them NON-TRANSFERABLE. WE know they have the capability to do all those things. But since obviously the rares community is the ones the DEV's are catering to... I'm guessing the rest of us are stuck between a rock and a hard place... and it's getting more and more to the point where I'm about to just say forget it the greedy SoBs can have the events... I'm done trying to care.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
since obviously the rares community is the ones the DEV's are catering to
Exactly right. If you want to do a large player event they will not even give you healers.
But the rares community gets everything gates special housing and anything they want.

Sorry... I don't usually buck the system I play along sometimes when I don't even agree with it.
Oceania is being left out because they don't have the cross shard people.
It is a clear case of favoritism.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't play on Atlantic even if transferring there were FREE. What irks me is all the Xshard BS that goes on at events on my own shard. You know I give a rats if someone wants to sell their item/drop to someone else for big dollars... but the fact of the matter is I'd like the opportunity to actually GET a drop on my shard without having to compete for it with 30 people from every other shard there to come and take my chance to get it from me so they can go sell it for hundreds of dollars/billions of gold that I don't have. It's really irritating that folk who come to the event to actually enjoy the event and appreciate the time and effort put into it by EM's have to put up with jerks who come only for the drop, don't care about the shard... and care even less about the event.

Which means that folk like me who would treasure and care about the item as much as the event and actually try to enjoy the event.. keep our items and don't unload them the instant they are obtained... have a drastically lessened chance to get one because folk wanting to make billions in gold or hundreds in dollars feel the need to come to other shards and take that opportunity from us. And again I will say that I wish they would listen to us...

They should either no longer do drops, give a drop to EVERYONE who attends... or make them NON-TRANSFERABLE. WE know they have the capability to do all those things. But since obviously the rares community is the ones the DEV's are catering to... I'm guessing the rest of us are stuck between a rock and a hard place... and it's getting more and more to the point where I'm about to just say forget it the greedy SoBs can have the events... I'm done trying to care.
You have a special bond with your 'treasured' pixels. That's great and we all get it.
Why in the world should that mean that other players should not be able to use legal and approved game mechanics (xfer tokens/shard shields) to visit different shards and try to obtain the same items as you?
Just plain selfish and weird imo.
Am I wrong or didn't you used to complain that people would come to events specifically to grief you?
Methinks that maybe the squeaky wheel gets greased sometimes.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really is a matter of time..everything comes to an end eventually. The idea of mergers and consolidation has been NEEDED for a long time. It'll just never happen due to shard shields/and pay tokens becoming valueless..trust me, not one person gives a damn about your pixel treasure. It's all about money. It should be its a damn business...but instead of changing with the times and consolidating and building new shards for people to all join together, we have 4 shards per time zone and 3 of which are close to completely empty. Maybe if the actually did a shard merge and broke down the cost we could actually get a working server that doesn't suck ass, and maybe gain some players when they log on and actually see another person and don't think UO is just a gateway log in to a single player game

Btw $12.99 a month for an almost completely dead game..no one would mind paying it if when they logged in there was more than 4 people on. Minus ATL and a few others..that's sure what it looks like unless your in a decent sized X-Sharding guild now a days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe if the actually did a shard merge
We've been over this before. If you think certain shards are empty now, the consolidated ones will be just as empty when people cancel their accounts over lost housing spots. There will be people who don't get to place so much as a keep to replace a castle, and those who play multiple shards and will lose characters over consolidation.

It's just not going to happen, purely as a matter of design problems.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We've been over this before. If you think certain shards are empty now, the consolidated ones will be just as empty when people cancel their accounts over lost housing spots. There will be people who don't get to place so much as a keep to replace a castle, and those who play multiple shards and will lose characters over consolidation.

It's just not going to happen, purely as a matter of design problems.
You do realize everyone can keep their houses and still have shards populations merged right? Other games have done this. Last I checked we aren't even playing on stand alone servers anymore but in the cloud instead. There are 0 houses in T2A and the dungeon subserver. You keep the Abyss on each server due to the 2 houses but the 2 spawns inside can be shared. The technology is there, but like the man said, they just don't want to.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You do realize everyone can keep their houses and still have shards populations merged right? Other games have done this. Last I checked we aren't even playing on stand alone servers anymore but in the cloud instead. There are 0 houses in T2A and the dungeon subserver. You keep the Abyss on each server due to the 2 houses but the 2 spawns inside can be shared. The technology is there, but like the man said, they just don't want to.
That would take a real code and engineer which last I checked we don't have. Besides Mesanna and every DEV before her has always said NO we will NEVER merge them.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Other games" are coded differently. UO as currently coded would actually not support "everyone can keep their houses," and it's not worth paying someone to overhaul code (most of which is unfamiliar to the current Devs) when it more than offsets what money EA would save. Who is going to get the castle spots outside Skara and Britain? What will you do about player towns that get split up? How are you going to redesign T2A to support larger houses? And you do realize, don't you, that players with full character slots on merged shards would have to choose which ones to give up?

I keep saying we have been over this before, and I keep explaining that it's not going to happen just because of the lost accounts. Add to this the manpower required to redesign certain parts of the game, and it would most definitely be a losing prospect in the end. EA might save a little money from keeping up fewer shards, but it's a loss overall.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Other games" are coded differently. UO as currently coded would actually not support "everyone can keep their houses," and it's not worth paying someone to overhaul code (most of which is unfamiliar to the current Devs) when it more than offsets what money EA would save. Who is going to get the castle spots outside Skara and Britain? What will you do about player towns that get split up? How are you going to redesign T2A to support larger houses? And you do realize, don't you, that players with full character slots on merged shards would have to choose which ones to give up?

I keep saying we have been over this before, and I keep explaining that it's not going to happen just because of the lost accounts. Add to this the manpower required to redesign certain parts of the game, and it would most definitely be a losing prospect in the end. EA might save a little money from keeping up fewer shards, but it's a loss overall.
You didn't even read my post did you? Everyone who currently has the castle spots would get to keep them. Player towns aren't split up. You don't have to redesign t2a at all since it always has been a no housing zone. You still have the same characters and slots.... Perhaps what I said wasn't clear enough. All of the housing lands stay the same, but when you cross the from one subserver to another like you've always done, instead of being transferred to the dungeon subserver on your specific shard you are transferred to a shared one. That's it. You don't need to rewrite UO from scratch to do it.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You didn't even read my post did you? Everyone who currently has the castle spots would get to keep them. Player towns aren't split up. You don't have to redesign t2a at all since it always has been a no housing zone. You still have the same characters and slots.... Perhaps what I said wasn't clear enough. All of the housing lands stay the same, but when you cross the from one subserver to another like you've always done, instead of being transferred to the dungeon subserver on your specific shard you are transferred to a shared one. That's it. You don't need to rewrite UO from scratch to do it.
I most certainly read your post. The part that stands out is your effective belief in a magic wand. Now that you're more specific in what you think can be done, it's almost comical that you think multiple subservers can be created with any cost effectiveness. "You don't need to write UO from scratch" is not the issue. It's that someone has to put in a lot of work to do what you think. I keep telling you: that's too much for EA to pay, compared to the savings in having fewer shards. And most of all, consolidating shards will drive away more players than it will keep.

Are you talking about putting houses in T2A, or just that there are no houses there? I re-read your statement and am now not sure what you're saying. That it has no houses doesn't matter anyway. But now you're talking about shard subservers for Felucca and Trammel (each has several if you didn't notice) and Malas.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice post Sneaky Que and hope it may bring a few others over to play on Oceania and have fun and new experiences.

Played on that shard years ago and loved every minute I was on it. Really a great and engaging community Oceania had at one time :)

Not sure why there would be such a lag issue as stated. I played on from the east coast and had around a 1.5 second delay but still could do and hold my own on the shard PvP and PvE. Back then (2005) the internet speeds and computers are nothing compared to todays speeds and computers and the shard was very playable.

Not sure why other shards and shard mergers were brought up in this topic. That wasn't the point of the topic :)

The seasonal subject is never right. Summer has an excuse because of nice weather, Fall is school and such, Winter is usually the holiday excuses, Spring is same as fall excuses and nice weather added on population issues. Just repeating what is and has always been posted for lack of population changes excuses over the years here on Stratics. Don't hate the messenger :)

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I most certainly read your post. The part that stands out is your effective belief in a magic wand. Now that you're more specific in what you think can be done, it's almost comical that you think multiple subservers can be created with any cost effectiveness. "You don't need to write UO from scratch" is not the issue. It's that someone has to put in a lot of work to do what you think. I keep telling you: that's too much for EA to pay, compared to the savings in having fewer shards. And most of all, consolidating shards will drive away more players than it will keep.

Are you talking about putting houses in T2A, or just that there are no houses there? I re-read your statement and am now not sure what you're saying. That it has no houses doesn't matter anyway. But now you're talking about shard subservers for Felucca and Trammel (each has several if you didn't notice) and Malas.
If you're reading it you aren't comprehending it based on your replies so let me try again. No where did I say less SHARDS. This thread is about people wanting others to play with. The number of shards stays the same. Picture this, everyone keeps their houses on their home servers. Timmy from Great Lakes recalls to the entrance of Destard on Great Lakes. He walks inside, he is now in Destard on the shared east coast dungeon subserver. Timmy waves at Bob who is from Atlantic. They can be friends and play together, and at the end of the day walk out of the dungeon to their own houses. Who knows, maybe they live in the same exact spot but on GL and Atl.

The subservers already exist, they don't have to be created, in fact sharing dungeon subservers would cut down the the number of subservers. Not that it matters either way since you know, cloud computing. It's not like there is a server blade somewhere with a label on it that says "Atlantic Shard" anymore. They don't have to pay any more than they already are, the programming should be much easier than adding the whole VvV game system to the game. Consolidating like this would drive away who? The people who don't want to play with others?

T2A is The Second Age, the expansion the gave us the Lost lands where Papua and Delucia are along with the dungeon Khaldun and a majority of the champ spawns. If you look on UOAM you will see that it is on the dungeon subserver. There is ZERO player housing so that entire area could be shared without effecting anyone's housing along with all of the dungeons.

Will it ever happen? No, probably not due to the reasons previously mentioned about server xfers making them money. Is it possible, sure it is. Maybe not back in the day where all the servers were physically apart but the way things are now yeah. It's probably too ambitious for the state UO is in today, anyway.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are 0 houses in T2A and the dungeon subserver.
I love this idea. You would certainly have issues with Siege and Mugen due to server proximity (where does the shard get placed?) but to have shared T2A and Dungeons would be awesome. Each character's id would send them back to their home server when they left those areas, the only issue I could see would come with the lose of revenue from x-sharding.

Players would have alts on other shards meet them in the dungeons to make their swaps, or players could have dungeon templates setup and then just deliver the loot to any other shard via alternate characters.

Figure out that problem and I think you have a winner...la

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you're reading it you aren't comprehending it based on your replies so let me try again. No where did I say less SHARDS. This thread is about people wanting others to play with. The number of shards stays the same. Picture this, everyone keeps their houses on their home servers. Timmy from Great Lakes recalls to the entrance of Destard on Great Lakes. He walks inside, he is now in Destard on the shared east coast dungeon subserver. Timmy waves at Bob who is from Atlantic. They can be friends and play together, and at the end of the day walk out of the dungeon to their own houses. Who knows, maybe they live in the same exact spot but on GL and Atl.
So you're not talking about shard consolidation. The term you should have used is shard linking, so that others would know what you're talking about. It does no good if you think you're talking about an orange when you're actually talking about tangerines.

And what you're proposing is not going to happen either. For one, it takes a long time to transfer a character. The character and any items must be given new IDs on the new shard, then deleted from the old shard. Even the character gets a new ID. Because so many other things are happening at once (down to the last forest rabbit moving around), it can take 30-60 minutes to transfer a character, bank box and pack animals. Do you think most players will tolerate waiting even 10 minutes to enter the dungeon subserver? What if they forgot something (e.g. an item or to swap skills on soulstones) and must recall home, requiring another wait to get back?

The secondary issue is that it will cut into EA's revenue, namely that people won't need to buy as many transfer tokens. Someone from Shard A that's linked to Shard B can meet his buddy from Shard B, hand him whatever there is, and how is EA going to recoup that loss? Then there's the problem of many of us who've invested in shard transfer shields that will have little or no use for them afterward. Are we going to get vet reward refunds?

The subservers already exist, they don't have to be created, in fact sharing dungeon subservers would cut down the the number of subservers. Not that it matters either way since you know, cloud computing. It's not like there is a server blade somewhere with a label on it that says "Atlantic Shard" anymore. They don't have to pay any more than they already are, the programming should be much easier than adding the whole VvV game system to the game. Consolidating like this would drive away who? The people who don't want to play with others?
Once again, you aren't talking about "shard consolidation," but shard linking. And once again, it's not as easy as you think, for the reason I've pointed out: characters and items on any given server have their own unique IDs that must be regenerated on the destination. Are you going to have a character go bye-bye for a while as it's transferred to a dungeon subserver?

You claimed UO wouldn't have to be "recoded from scratch," yet tying a single subserver to multiple shards would be a monumental undertaking. For all the expense of paying programmers to redo a shard's structure, EA will not save that money in reduced maintenance costs. That's the bottom line, you realize, not how much players enjoy the game. EA and Broadsword will instead focus on more content to keep us interested.

T2A is The Second Age, the expansion the gave us the Lost lands where Papua and Delucia are along with the dungeon Khaldun and a majority of the champ spawns. If you look on UOAM you will see that it is on the dungeon subserver. There is ZERO player housing so that entire area could be shared without effecting anyone's housing along with all of the dungeons.
At last you're finally being clear. But you still don't realize that the entire T2A area on the Atlantic shard is part of the Atlantic server, while Oceania's T2A subserver (and Malas and Ilshenar and everything else) are separately part of Oceania's server. It's not as easy as you think. Unique character and item IDs must still be created, as well as locations of the character, pets and item locations in the pack. For any decently powered computer, it could be done very quickly, but once again, any UO server must do this while everything else is happening.

Will it ever happen? No, probably not due to the reasons previously mentioned about server xfers making them money. Is it possible, sure it is. Maybe not back in the day where all the servers were physically apart but the way things are now yeah. It's probably too ambitious for the state UO is in today, anyway.
It's "possible" in the same way I could make an automated machine that senses when I get near and turns the doorknob for me. Possible, yes, but not cost-effective. Do you really think EA is going to spend all the money on programmers revamping shard structures, when it will not maintain subscriptions compared to the labor cost?

Don't get me wrong. You have nice thoughts, but they're the equivalent of telling the Devs to bell the cat.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best thing we can do to increase the number of players is to advertise the game ourselves and to tell all our friends who used to play to come back . Oh and facebook is a nice free way to advertise. Btw in my opinion Atl looks fine...
No that's (insert current owner of UOs name here)'s problem.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Maybe they should just add an option to the moongates which allow you to switch shards. Get rid of transfer tokens all together. Then the housing and player base would spread out more evenly.
That is an AWESOME idea. I was thinking exactly the same thing. The only thing needed would be to offer some OUTSTANDING new 14 year vet rewards to choose from, and have a way to turn in the existing shard shields for a "new" pick!

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you're not talking about shard consolidation. The term you should have used is shard linking, so that others would know what you're talking about. It does no good if you think you're talking about an orange when you're actually talking about tangerines.
You were the one talking about shard consolidation not I. I said "Populations Merged" which is a very accurate description indeed.
And what you're proposing is not going to happen either. For one, it takes a long time to transfer a character. The character and any items must be given new IDs on the new shard, then deleted from the old shard. Even the character gets a new ID. Because so many other things are happening at once (down to the last forest rabbit moving around), it can take 30-60 minutes to transfer a character, bank box and pack animals. Do you think most players will tolerate waiting even 10 minutes to enter the dungeon subserver? What if they forgot something (e.g. an item or to swap skills on soulstones) and must recall home, requiring another wait to get back?
It actually takes a split second to transfer subservers, you do it everytime you go from one to another. That little bump of lag you get is your character being destroyed and recreated on another subserver. It's pretty fast. You're still thinking of the age when all the servers were separate boxes instead of on Amazon's cloud. Even transferring a character to test only takes seconds. I'm not talking about people moving 5 packies with 1000 items.

The secondary issue is that it will cut into EA's revenue, namely that people won't need to buy as many transfer tokens. Someone from Shard A that's linked to Shard B can meet his buddy from Shard B, hand him whatever there is, and how is EA going to recoup that loss? Then there's the problem of many of us who've invested in shard transfer shields that will have little or no use for them afterward. Are we going to get vet reward refunds?
You're just restating what Cazador and I already said.

Once again, you aren't talking about "shard consolidation," but shard linking. And once again, it's not as easy as you think, for the reason I've pointed out: characters and items on any given server have their own unique IDs that must be regenerated on the destination. Are you going to have a character go bye-bye for a while as it's transferred to a dungeon subserver?

You claimed UO wouldn't have to be "recoded from scratch," yet tying a single subserver to multiple shards would be a monumental undertaking. For all the expense of paying programmers to redo a shard's structure, EA will not save that money in reduced maintenance costs. That's the bottom line, you realize, not how much players enjoy the game. EA and Broadsword will instead focus on more content to keep us interested.
Once again, consolidation is all you. As for the unique IDs I never said you wouldn't have to write ANY code. However this game is pretty good at generating new item ids on the fly really really fast. As for switching subservers you're still thinking in outdated rigid terms.

At last you're finally being clear. But you still don't realize that the entire T2A area on the Atlantic shard is part of the Atlantic server, while Oceania's T2A subserver (and Malas and Ilshenar and everything else) are separately part of Oceania's server. It's not as easy as you think. Unique character and item IDs must still be created, as well as locations of the character, pets and item locations in the pack. For any decently powered computer, it could be done very quickly, but once again, any UO server must do this while everything else is happening.
Apparently I wasn't clear enough, I know other people have gotten it and commented on it here or elsewhere. I'm very much aware that T2A is part of every server. Funny thing is that is the crux of my idea. Making them common areas that are part of multiple servers... Perhaps you don't play any other games so that's why you are having trouble visualizing it and have this vision in your head of a room with towers with each blade labelled as a shard.

It's "possible" in the same way I could make an automated machine that senses when I get near and turns the doorknob for me. Possible, yes, but not cost-effective. Do you really think EA is going to spend all the money on programmers revamping shard structures, when it will not maintain subscriptions compared to the labor cost?

Don't get me wrong. You have nice thoughts, but they're the equivalent of telling the Devs to bell the cat.
That's why I don't tell the devs to do anything or even think my ideas will become a reality but of course if you read my posts you'd know that. They aren't edited and they are still there for you to look back at to reread.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You were the one talking about shard consolidation not I. I said "Populations Merged" which is a very accurate description indeed.
You said "shards populations merged," but with an entirely different proposal than the usual. You need to be more clear about what you're talking about it. Remember that for future threads, will you?

It actually takes a split second to transfer subservers, you do it everytime you go from one to another. That little bump of lag you get is your character being destroyed and recreated on another subserver. It's pretty fast. You're still thinking of the age when all the servers were separate boxes instead of on Amazon's cloud. Even transferring a character to test only takes seconds. I'm not talking about people moving 5 packies with 1000 items.
You have no idea what you're talking about. There's no "recreated" anything about a character that remains on the same shard. The mild lag is because nothing about a character or the items needs to change.

What you don't understand is that each shard has its own set of data for character and item IDs, as well as locations, and the unique IDs are going to conflict with your idea. Do you even do any shard transfers at all? Don't you understand that a transfer takes time in order to regenerate new IDs for characters and items? So it's going to happen every time a character goes to and returns from a central subserver, unless the game's system of unique IDs is massively changed. And that is just not going to happen because of the programming time required.

What you further do not understand is that "separate boxes" is irrelevant. The shards are still not running as one, nor should they.

You're just restating what Cazador and I already said.
Yes, and it is a point worth stressing. Do you want to pay slightly higher subscription fees to cover what EA will lose, or would you rather people pay for the extras they consume?

Once again, consolidation is all you. As for the unique IDs I never said you wouldn't have to write ANY code. However this game is pretty good at generating new item ids on the fly really really fast. As for switching subservers you're still thinking in outdated rigid terms.
What's actually "once again" is that you have no idea whatsoever of the programming design or actual code that is involved. A central subserver of dungeons would absolutely require generating unique IDs for any entrants. There is no way the game can risk two identical IDs coming into conflict. This means that there will be a lot of programming necessary. How can you not see this?

The game still has subservers. If you think it doesn't, I'll sell you the bridge by the WBB for a really good price, and you can start charging tolls.

Apparently I wasn't clear enough, I know other people have gotten it and commented on it here or elsewhere. I'm very much aware that T2A is part of every server. Funny thing is that is the crux of my idea. Making them common areas that are part of multiple servers... Perhaps you don't play any other games so that's why you are having trouble visualizing it and have this vision in your head of a room with towers with each blade labelled as a shard.
I have not only "played" many other games, but for a time I was doing game design and low-level programming starting in the 1980s. That's why I'm in a position to tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about when you think it's so easy.

If you think it's so easy, then what is your solution for generating new character and item IDs quickly enough so there's no severe delay in gameplay? Don't you realize a simple character transfer can take anywhere up to a full hour? No shard can put a transfer as a priority when it has everything else to monitor, so even if EA were willing to have programmers work on something that won't save accounts (let alone bring in more), players are going to be waiting every time they go back and forth. It's an impractical suggestion.

That's why I don't tell the devs to do anything or even think my ideas will become a reality but of course if you read my posts you'd know that. They aren't edited and they are still there for you to look back at to reread.
And it's a damn good thing they don't bother listening to you, or anyone else who doesn't understand how the game really works.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Maybe they should just add an option to the moongates which allow you to switch shards.
They are called Shard shields... you can get as many as you like between the shards you play.
On Izumo a guy named Aki has 12 shard shields to Izumo. He can go to any shard he wants even piggy back on others shields at any time and come back.

Save up your rewards.

If anyone wants things sent to Oceania I would be happy to help you. Just ask.
Build a character there it isn't that hard to build a character. If you already have the stuff there.

Last edited:

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You said "shards populations merged," but with an entirely different proposal than the usual. You need to be more clear about what you're talking about it. Remember that for future threads, will you?
No. I'm not going to dumb down my posts for the 1 person who doesn't get it. Multiple people got it the first time, only you had the confused reply.

You have no idea what you're talking about. There's no "recreated" anything about a character that remains on the same shard. The mild lag is because nothing about a character or the items needs to change.
A single shard consists of multiple subservers. Your character is destroyed and recreated every time it is handed off from one subserver to another. It's the reason why when you have +stam or +hp items its missing when you get on the new subserver. This has been stated by Developers previously. It's also the reason why many previous dupes have happened in UO's past and why we now have Gate Cohesion. 13 years or so ago people were jumping from one subserver to another while simultaneously killing themselves. They left a corpse behind with loot on it on 1 subserver and were alive on the other one the gate went to with the same loot. So, yes I have some idea of what I'm talking about.

What you don't understand is that each shard has its own set of data for character and item IDs, as well as locations, and the unique IDs are going to conflict with your idea. Do you even do any shard transfers at all? Don't you understand that a transfer takes time in order to regenerate new IDs for characters and items? So it's going to happen every time a character goes to and returns from a central subserver, unless the game's system of unique IDs is massively changed. And that is just not going to happen because of the programming time required.

What you further do not understand is that "separate boxes" is irrelevant. The shards are still not running as one, nor should they.
lol... Yes, yes I do. As for the last sentence you do realize you can just say you don't like the idea? I'll accept that.

What's actually "once again" is that you have no idea whatsoever of the programming design or actual code that is involved. A central subserver of dungeons would absolutely require generating unique IDs for any entrants. There is no way the game can risk two identical IDs coming into conflict. This means that there will be a lot of programming necessary. How can you not see this?
Why would they have to rewrite code they already have that is used every single time someone transfers? That doesn't require any programming let alone a lot of it.

The game still has subservers. If you think it doesn't, I'll sell you the bridge by the WBB for a really good price, and you can start charging tolls.
Pretty sure most of my posts have talked about subservers, since you know the whole concept revolves them and all so you're coming out of left field on this one. They just aren't the rigid 1980's version you're thinking of.

If you think it's so easy, then what is your solution for generating new character and item IDs quickly enough so there's no severe delay in gameplay? Don't you realize a simple character transfer can take anywhere up to a full hour? No shard can put a transfer as a priority when it has everything else to monitor, so even if EA were willing to have programmers work on something that won't save accounts (let alone bring in more), players are going to be waiting every time they go back and forth. It's an impractical suggestion.
I just copied a char to test. They didn't seem to have much of an issue generating a new char or item IDs very very quickly. It's almost like my character didn't REALLY have to travel very far to get from one server to another. Perhaps character transfers take so long is because it's been the #1 source of duping, and the system was designed for separate servers/shards before the move to Amazon. I'm sure shard hopping doesn't have to be slow anymore, they just want it to.

You sure are arguing pretty hard against something I stated in the very first post wasn't going to happen. Anyway I've had enough fun trying to enlighten you, but I can only take so much so I'm done. I'm off to do a dungeon with people from 4 different servers that were formerly on separate blades but are owned by a company that when faced with this very question didn't say no we can't do it, or no it'll cost too much, they just did it instead. :)

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No. I'm not going to dumb down my posts for the 1 person who doesn't get it. Multiple people got it the first time, only you had the confused reply.
That's a nice excuse. "Dumb down" is not the same as being specific so you are not misunderstood, particularly when you chime in about something new when people were already discussing something else. Really, "multiple people"? That's a laugh. You said, "shards populations merged." Even MalagAste thought you were saying what I thought you were saying, replying that we've been told the Devs will "NEVER merge them."

Maybe this will teach you to be more clear next time. Maybe not.

A single shard consists of multiple subservers. Your character is destroyed and recreated every time it is handed off from one subserver to another.
Uh, wrong. The character's data is not "destroyed and recreated," but rather that a server deals with the central data (otherwise a guildmaster wouldn't be able to promote or kick a member, for one thing). You need to stop talking about programming concepts you have no knowledge of.

It's the reason why when you have +stam or +hp items its missing when you get on the new subserver. This has been stated by Developers previously. It's also the reason why many previous dupes have happened in UO's past and why we now have Gate Cohesion. 13 years or so ago people were jumping from one subserver to another while simultaneously killing themselves. They left a corpse behind with loot on it on 1 subserver and were alive on the other one the gate went to with the same loot. So, yes I have some idea of what I'm talking about.
No, it's not "destroyed and recreated," but a sort of reset of the character, like on login. You're erroneously recalling Wilki's explanations. When the character reappears on a subserver, it has to quickly re-equip all its gear. Why this is done predates him. The reason characters are temporarily stripped down is to reset their stats and skills, to fight off old exploits that built huge amounts of mana and skills, especially when "accurate" weapons added tactics and could get someone to 1000 skill.

And you further have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Gate cohesion was never because of subservers specifically, otherwise it would never need to be applied to gates on the same subserver. What you're describing is not because a character is "destroyed and recreated," but because the central data of a character was temporarily on two subservers. And so that's how you were duping then, hmm? You were doing it the hard way.

lol... Yes, yes I do. As for the last sentence you do realize you can just say you don't like the idea? I'll accept that.
Since you don't understand the mechanics behind character transfer, your claim you do any transfers is highly suspect.

And I never once said I was against the idea. For the same reason I'd like every child in the world to have food and shoes but know it's not going to happen, I'm merely telling you why shared subservers won't work. So you can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.

Why would they have to rewrite code they already have that is used every single time someone transfers? That doesn't require any programming let alone a lot of it.
Even if the same code could be used, that still takes programming work. But do you even realize how long it takes to copy? Do you really ever do character transfers?

Pretty sure most of my posts have talked about subservers, since you know the whole concept revolves them and all so you're coming out of left field on this one. They just aren't the rigid 1980's version you're thinking of.
Left field? We have to deal with how the ground level of the game has been programmed, which is not the 1980s but still, you know, 1997. There's no manpower or money to reconstruct subservers, let alone have shards easily share character and item IDs. We're lucky to have so much as character transfers.

I just copied a char to test. They didn't seem to have much of an issue generating a new char or item IDs very very quickly. It's almost like my character didn't REALLY have to travel very far to get from one server to another. Perhaps character transfers take so long is because it's been the #1 source of duping, and the system was designed for separate servers/shards before the move to Amazon. I'm sure shard hopping doesn't have to be slow anymore, they just want it to.
That's because Test Center needs far less sophisticated things to happen. The receiving shard is far less busy (whereas a transfer to Atlantic will need to take extra care as lots of new items are always created, to prevent ID collisions). And TC only receives a copy, rather than the originals being deleted. But if you know so much about how it can be done easily and quickly, then go tell the Devs. Do you think they've put in an intentional delay that doesn't need to be there?

And if you didn't notice, even with the move to the so-called "cloud" (a nonsensical claim considering the game had already been based in "the cloud"), the game still operates on subservers. It's very hard to get around that ingrained mechanic.

You sure are arguing pretty hard against something I stated in the very first post wasn't going to happen. Anyway I've had enough fun trying to enlighten you, but I can only take so much so I'm done. I'm off to do a dungeon with people from 4 different servers that were formerly on separate blades but are owned by a company that when faced with this very question didn't say no we can't do it, or no it'll cost too much, they just did it instead. :)
Really. You're the one "arguing pretty hard" for something that we've been told time and time again is not going to happen. I'm only telling you why it's not going to happen.

Whatever game you're playing, UO is a lot different than different servers to be copied to a single one. EA is not going to let the money be spent on something that's in its twilight.[/quote]

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, just no.

The man wanted to bring some people to Oceania, not necro the age old shard merger dispute. Please cease and desist the shard merge debate as it is off-topic to this thread.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, just no.

The man wanted to bring some people to Oceania, not necro the age old shard merger dispute. Please cease and desist the shard merge debate as it is off-topic to this thread.
And moot. Server mergers have been impossible since the day persistent instead of instanced housing was implemented. Let it go.

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to play on Oceania years ago. I may even resub and start a new character and see if I can find a few people to play with. Not looking forward to starting again though as my original account is long gone. Living in New Zealand, Oceania is really the only shard I can play on because of the generally low ping times. Tried to play Atlantic a while back and still had to deal with pings of 300ish.