• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) Come on Help a brother out here

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look I have Macro economics, taxation, intermediate accounting, and Statistics this semester....I am gonna die of boredom unless people start posting $tuff and give me something to read. So step up and form an opinion, and lets have a few lively discussions.

I will start....do you prefer EM run events or player run events?
Should the various governors be allowed to run their own events and just have the EM's assist them.

thoughts??? opinions??

Last edited:

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like both. Both can be entertaining. I might lean towards player run because at the EM events you get a lot of people who show up only because they are looking to get some sort of item or drop out of it. The people who attend player ran events are morso a croud looking to have some fun. The EMs have more resources and building materials to create stories that include special monster spawns and such. And I do enjoy a well put together EM event, but the players are just as equally creative and when they make things happen without the access to resources the EM's do, all I can say is is that's pretty cool.

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to more or less second what Zuckuss said. The EM events are fun and give an opportunity to fill any pixel crack jones, They almost always entertaining to do and just as often frustrating (either just overly powered monsters or a last second death). I tend to enjoy the player run ones more as they can be off-beat and I always get a feeling of camaraderie amongst the attendees. Every once in a while I will go to an event on one of my lesser known alts and will get treated just as well as (and sometimes better than ) on my well known ones.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like EM Events as they drop lots of shiney pixels which are a great way to make some serious gold.

The only player run events I really attend are the auctions.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's almost an apple & oranges kind of question. Hard to compare the two directly. Each offers different advantages. There are also poor examples of each. There have been a few EM events that have been some of the most fun I've ever had in UO. There are also a slew of EM events that I found aggravating and/or uninteresting. If there was a player event and EM event scheduled at the same time and I could only attend one, the choice wouldn't be based on which category I like more but rather based on the anticipated merit of either event.

Should the various governors be allowed to run their own events and just have the EM's assist them.
Are governors not allowed to run some specific kind of event? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with most of what's posted here. Player ran and EM events share a lot of things. I can do almost everything the EM can do when it comes to my events. The exceptions of course being fairly big like spawning monsters or locking items down in the world. And the biggest difference is of course that if I craft a sash or create an item as a reward it's not worth nearly as much as if the EM does it. I find most of the EM events to be fun and/or interesting especially when it's part of a shard wide storyline that I can really get into. I also find that EM Barnaby does a pretty good job of integrating player plotlines into his events, and really seems to go out of his way to try and work with people in that respect. Player ran events on the other hand are great ways to fill in the gaps. I can run smaller events that are just as much fun for the participants and help fill in the gaps while waiting for the next "official" event to take place. A lot of times all that's required is a post saying that we're going somewhere, for instance the Corgul run we did last month for Trinsic or the Medusa runs we did before that. Anybody can run a player ran event, not just governors. PGoH used to run them before the governor system was introduced, and the Rangers of Spiritwood do them in Skara Brae without the convenience of the governor title.

Governors and other players can already run whatever type of event they like without EM support, and the EM's shouldn't be expected to do things for player events. As I said before, there aren't many things that the players can't already do for themselves, and most of those things can be gotten around by planning or imagination. A couple months ago there was a nice article on events posted on Stratics. http://uo2.stratics.com/posts/46840

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look I have Macro economics, taxation, intermediate accounting, and Statistics this semester....I am gonna die of boredom unless people start posting $tuff and give me something to read. So step up and form an opinion, and lets have a few lively discussions.

thoughts??? opinions??
Okay so you pull all of us back into Stratics World, we give you our updates, thoughts an opinions and then you just leave us hanging like this?

What did we ever do to you Timberwolf!

WHY

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I do prefer player run events, I can also see some value in EM events as well.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so you pull all of us back into Stratics World, we give you our updates, thoughts an opinions and then you just leave us hanging like this?

What did we ever do to you Timberwolf!

WHY
Well I am carefully considering what I have read......I am first to say I don't really know this EM from Adam . My experience with EMs was well before the present EM program. Back then EMs seemed to me to be a wasted resource.
I have however run many events. 2002-2004 were my trammy years, and O*S run regular events at least once a week.... Usually much more. Anne Nomilly was always the face of the event and I would do all her leg work. Friday night hunts were must attend events for many Catskills players. We loved to do it but we always thought it could have been better if we had an EM overseeing, advising and occasionally supplying us with some pixie crack.
In the end because of these events I became a more complete player....and when we decided to start doing fel events I developed an even deeper love for the game. I got way more out of running events as a person then it ever cost me. ....
Our present EM impressed me when he made an appearance at the relay for life event....I would like to see more of it from him/her . I hope he finds away to encourage and support player run events.

Just as I believe it is a moderators job to inspire, provoke, and stimulate great discussions, I think it is part of an EMs job to do the same with player run events......

Those are my thoughts Zuck

TW

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM's are basically part time workers on salary. They are paid but it's based on a set minimum number of hours which I'm sure we exceed on this shard on a regular basis. In addition doing much more then what is already done opens the door for cries of favoritism. There are things that are or could be done to encourage player events but items and lockdowns are a trap waiting to be sprung. The first time he does it he'll be so bogged down in requests he probably wouldn't have time to do anything else, and the first time he said no he'd be accused of favoritism.

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like the player run event a little more then EM, with the EM i die way to much and get very little if i want to die i would just go in to the abyss and die when i am farming i know then i can still walk away with something

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have always liked player run events more than EM events. Seems to me that the EM's are limited to events that offer mobs to kill for a drop that can be sold for billions on Atlantic or for real cash. Player events,such as what Thom offers monthly,runs from fishing competitions to jousting events. And with it being a player hosted event,the host doesn't have to try to make everyone happy.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EM's are basically part time workers on salary. They are paid but it's based on a set minimum number of hours which I'm sure we exceed on this shard on a regular basis. In addition doing much more then what is already done opens the door for cries of favoritism. There are things that are or could be done to encourage player events but items and lockdowns are a trap waiting to be sprung. The first time he does it he'll be so bogged down in requests he probably wouldn't have time to do anything else, and the first time he said no he'd be accused of favoritism.
Sorry Thom I don't buy the favouritism excuse/cop out. Yes I can understand that what I suggest might be difficult on very busy shards, however on the quieter shards it would be too easy for them to be much more involved....and let's face it....EMs are much more important on a quieter shard then they are on a mega shard like Atlantic.

I am gonna let some people in on a secret.....EMs are players.....ya that is right they often have active accounts on other shards and have been playing for years . They read the forums, they eat, drink and sleep UO ( like most of us) they know who the real great community players are and they know who the dregs who suck the life out of a shard are.
When you give as much as most EMs do you have no concerns about favouritism cries....because your boss know the hours it takes and the love and passion you have for this game.

But every time an EMs incorporates player content, or acknowledge player events by dropping in and scattering some pixie crack, or actually acknowledges community leaders that make their shard great....well when ever they do any of those things they improve the shard significantly....they infuse energy and drive into the community.

That is what I want from EMs....sure run an EM event every couple weeks...but you will make more of an impact by dropping Into player events
Semi regularly .....inscribe a weapon as a price for a jousting tournament,,,,drop a couple uber guardians into a treasure map hunt....
These are smart, creative people.....they know how to tweak little events to make them better. Every time they do something like that they encourage someone else to try to host a player event. Then instead of 4-6 people showing up for a jousting tournament....then you get 14-16 players. All because hey the EM might drop in and shake things up a little....or spread some pixie crack.

TW

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I wish I could say the favoritism was an excuse.. It's not.. Unfortunately that cry from drama queen players.. "Oh they like Cartel better than They like Si" (Baja).. "They Like The orcs better than the Gypsies" (Atlantic).."They like Sage Better than they like Elf" (Pacific).. are what's led to many of the EM's throwing their hands up and saying .. "Yeah, sorry.. not doing anything special anymore for any of you.."... Bennu, Sangria, Dudley, Drosselmeyer, Seppo... the list goes on and on and on..And in this case.. you can contact Mesanna and she should tell you that favorites are the go to excuse for anyone who gets huffy with an em... And if she doesn't.. ask most of the Stratics staff. The kicker is.. it's both Rp'ers.. and non rp'er who pull that. That isn't to say they don't go out of their way from time to time. Some do.. But it's rare because they always get it thrown in their faces.

You're right.. they are players.. or were once (on a regular basis). But the Em's cannot inscribe anymore for players. There is a finite list of the things they have powers over. And all of them have been very vocal about saying.. "Sorry kids, Can't do that now."

Last edited:

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry Thom I don't buy the favouritism excuse/cop out. Yes I can understand that what I suggest might be difficult on very busy shards, however on the quieter shards it would be too easy for them to be much more involved....and let's face it....EMs are much more important on a quieter shard then they are on a mega shard like Atlantic.
I'm not sure I agree that EMs are any less important on larger shards. Since coming back to UO almost 3 years ago, I played 2 years on Atlantic before returning to Catskills last year. I've attended a number of EM events and interacted with the EMs of both shards, but I can't say that I found the EMs to be of any less importance or influence on Atlantic than Catskills. The only difference I've seen is in their styles and approaches.

With respect to accusations of favoritism, I think Gillian gave some great examples of their occurrence. Whether these accusations were legitimate or just people being sore losers, that's not for me to judge, at least not publicly. But I suppose any confluence of personalities is going to create its share of politics, and the Developers and EMs are no more immune to that than us regular players. Such is life.

As for your original question, I enjoy them both EM events and player events. I think Thom is right in that players are able to create almost anything that EMs are with the few obvious exceptions. Truly, the biggest resource lacking for player-run events is ... players. I've definitely felt that as a role-player, in what was possible then versus possible now, and I'm sure it holds for all different types of play-styles. I do enjoy the epic-feel of some of the EM story-lines, as well as the simpler ones. But really, as long as I am entertained and don't feel like my time in UO was a waste that could've been better spent elsewhere, I'm more or less happy.

Last edited:

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am gonna let some people in on a secret.....EMs are players.....ya that is right they often have active accounts on other shards and have been playing for years . They read the forums, they eat, drink and sleep UO ( like most of us) they know who the real great community players are and they know who the dregs who suck the life out of a shard are.
When you give as much as most EMs do you have no concerns about favouritism cries....because your boss know the hours it takes and the love and passion you have for this game.

But every time an EMs incorporates player content, or acknowledge player events by dropping in and scattering some pixie crack, or actually acknowledges community leaders that make their shard great....well when ever they do any of those things they improve the shard significantly....they infuse energy and drive into the community.

That is what I want from EMs....sure run an EM event every couple weeks...but you will make more of an impact by dropping Into player events
Semi regularly .....inscribe a weapon as a price for a jousting tournament,,,,drop a couple uber guardians into a treasure map hunt....
These are smart, creative people.....they know how to tweak little events to make them better. Every time they do something like that they encourage someone else to try to host a player event. Then instead of 4-6 people showing up for a jousting tournament....then you get 14-16 players. All because hey the EM might drop in and shake things up a little....or spread some pixie crack.

TW
Favoritism was only a part of the post I made and it's a big part whether you believe it or not. I already knew EM's were players, but I also know that UO doesn't pay their bills with what they make for being EM's. They also have real lives, other jobs, and/or school. Not to mention playing on their home shard. You know why EM's aren't appointed to work on the shard they play regularly? It's a way to keep people from saying they play favorites. I've been playing on our quiet little shard for a good number of years, continuously. I've seen the crying over EM's not doing what the players think they should as far as locking down items, or providing gates, or any number of other requests made of them. And that was when we had two EM's not just the one we currently have. How bad is someone going to cry if the EM pops into my jousting tournament and hands out an item, even to just the winner, but then he has to work the night of Joe's dueling competition and can't be there to hand out something? Joe's most likely going to be really upset that he didn't get something handed out at his event and can/will cry favoritism because I got something at my event he didn't get. Or... say the EM shows up and hands out an item at that event but then the next one he doesn't make it. How many people are going to cry and give everyone grief because they didn't get the super duper 100 million gold lance at that event? How many are going to quit and leave as soon as they realize the EM didn't show up? The EM isn't supposed to make a distinction between the great community leaders and the dregs of the shard, everyone gets treated mostly the same. I'd honestly love him to show up at more events but not to hand out stuff, or do anything for the event, just to watch and be there. But even that becomes an exercise in patience and control all too often because some people see an EM and they immediately start asking for stuff, which disrupts the entire event.

It honestly seems to me that all you really want is the EM to drop in and scatter around multi-million gold items to people at random and not much of anything else. It doesn't work like that, and it really shouldn't. Player ran events can be successful without the EM's involvement it just takes work. People aren't encouraged to do events because prizes have to come out of their own pockets, and in order to draw a crowd it has to be a good amount of gold and/or items. That joust could have drew at least twice as many people if I had offered a better prize. I have spent more gold then I care to think about running events, but I do it because I enjoy it. The people that enjoy running events will run them regardless of what the EM does or doesn't do for them.

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think you all need to take a min and breath, and remember Not all of us are going to get a long when it come to the EM. it just who we are,

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think you all need to take a min and breath, and remember Not all of us are going to get a long when it come to the EM. it just who we are,
Sorry Mare. Just a discussion though. I'm not mad or upset about anything, just voicing my opinion on the matter. Your safe from me at least for the next 8 or so hours while I get some sleep though haha

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How bad is someone going to cry if the EM pops into my jousting tournament and hands out an item, even to just the winner, but then he has to work the night of Joe's dueling competition and can't be there to hand out something? Joe's most likely going to be really upset that he didn't get something handed out at his event and can/will cry favoritism because I got something at my event he didn't get.
That Joe sounds like a real d--- !!!

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Mare. Just a discussion though. I'm not mad or upset about anything, just voicing my opinion on the matter. Your safe from me at least for the next 8 or so hours while I get some sleep though haha
i understand Thom. i just didnt want everything to get over heated

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I don't buy the favouritism excuse/cop out. ...
Favouritism is neither an excuse nor a cop out. I have personally dealt with accusations of being shown "favouritism" by an EM, simply because ICly one of his characters nudged mine in a slightly different direction than she would have chosen on her own in regards to the Trial of Lady Amandine a few years ago on Atlantic.

While Faeryl's original intention was defence, the EM looked at how the board RP was progressing, and I guess noticed that I was seeing both sides of the picture, and as there were many willing to defend Lady Amandine, he came up with an IC reason to merely suggest I consider prosecution.

While I did end up signing up as a prosecutor, I was in no way simply handed the role above all others, which I suppose is what some seemed to think. Perhaps it was the fact that I was also one of Atlantic's News Reporters at the time, and a fairly prominent player, I don't know. What I do know is that they refused to believe that I still had to sign up and was still subject to the same rules and conditions as everyone else.

After the trial drew to a close and Lady Amandine found was guilty, one of her 'defence' (I use that term loosely... *coughs*) started acting rather nasty towards me, making accusations and accusing the EM of showing favouritism. While I calmly attempted to explain to her exactly what had transpired, she would cut me off and would take everything I said out of context to try to use it to validate her argument. She even claimed that she would be emailing the EM to complain about how things ultimately played out.

Why? I can only assume because the outcome of the trial was not what she wanted.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had observed an instance of what I still believe to have been favoritism in the earlier days of the EM program, although I only ever grumbled about it to a few friends rather than fuss on the forums or email devs. Maybe there was explanation for what I observed. Maybe not. The truth is when you're that guy that's getting "cut out", whether only perceived or for real, it can really feel like favoritism. The EM is indeed simply a player, and he will come onto a shard and find people that interest him and people that do not interest him, no matter how well-intentioned and fair he aims to be. Since not everybody will get their special moment in the spotlight, inevitably some will get to be the cool kids and some, not.

That Joe sounds like a real d--- !!!
Joe may be a duck, but he worked just as hard on his event so why, he may reason, shouldn't his event get bells and whistles? The point I am trying to make is not that EMs should attend all or none of the player events; only that player events should survive on their own merit, and an EM appearance or assistance is just a pleasant bonus, not something that should be required or expected.

That being said, EM items shouldn't be a factor in player events.

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if the player run event's take the time to contact the EM, set up and go through the rule's that need to be followed for the EM to show and help m that it should not be a problem. It should be up to the EM on each shard who reports to Mesanna and she approves or denies what the EM and Player Event is asking for.

Mostly what I see at EM events are a lack of respect for the time and effort they put for there shard, Our shard had one just this past weekend and only 5 minutes into the event you heard in general chat this event sucks, that shows a lack of respect for our EM who has a real life, perhaps also attempts to play his/her own char's on another shard, EM's come up with most of the storyline plots and get very little respect for all the hours they plan into events.

I am sure most of you will disagree with me but that is ok as we all have our own opinions and do not have to all agree with each other

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Joe may be a duck, but he worked just as hard on his event so why, he may reason, shouldn't his event get bells and whistles? The point I am trying to make is not that EMs should attend all or none of the player events; only that player events should survive on their own merit, and an EM appearance or assistance is just a pleasant bonus, not something that should be required or expected.

That being said, EM items shouldn't be a factor in player events.
I was more tooling on Thom's fictional Joe with the duck comment, but I agree with all of this. It's perfectly feasible to run an event without any sort of official support, and the over-reliance or expectation on that just stifles player creativity. Oh, and also agreed on the EM item part. I hate it when the drop becomes the focus of EM events.

I think part of the problem is also the low player population factor. These days I follow the EM schedules closely because it's at least a guaranteed something to do in-game that day. Back in the days of the Seer system (which is the closest comparison I can think of ), I don't recall a similar need because there was so much going on that it didn't really matter if I missed some Seer thing.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think if the player run event's take the time to contact the EM, set up and go through the rule's that need to be followed for the EM to show and help m that it should not be a problem. It should be up to the EM on each shard who reports to Mesanna and she approves or denies what the EM and Player Event is asking for.

Mostly what I see at EM events are a lack of respect for the time and effort they put for there shard, Our shard had one just this past weekend and only 5 minutes into the event you heard in general chat this event sucks, that shows a lack of respect for our EM who has a real life, perhaps also attempts to play his/her own char's on another shard, EM's come up with most of the storyline plots and get very little respect for all the hours they plan into events.

I am sure most of you will disagree with me but that is ok as we all have our own opinions and do not have to all agree with each other
I agree about the lack of respect. When I actively attended EM events on Atlantic, it was never the over-powered monsters, lost insurance money, or failing to get the drop that bothered me. It was the way that people would talk to the EM's and completely disrespect the time and effort that went into their planning. I've seen events where people tell the role-played EM character to shut up about the story and get to the drops. Or there was one time I witnessed some idiots harass an EM until he cancelled the event and postponed it. I really don't get what some players are thinking ...

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frankly when I was running events on Cats the last thing I would gave wanted was interference from an EM. I never have enjoyed the Truly Gigantic (INSERT GIGANTIC MOB SPAWN HERE) event of the half century.

But times have changed, and too often events can be more about how much flash an EM can put into the night and less about player driven content. I think that is why I like the simple stuff like the fishing tournaments, jousting or fighting tournaments, and simple nights sitting in a tavern listening to stories or songs.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Favouritism is neither an excuse nor a cop out. I have personally dealt with accusations of being shown "favouritism" by an EM, simply because ICly one of his characters nudged mine in a slightly different direction than she would have chosen on her own in regards to the Trial of Lady Amandine a few years ago on Atlantic.

While Faeryl's original intention was defence, the EM looked at how the board RP was progressing, and I guess noticed that I was seeing both sides of the picture, and as there were many willing to defend Lady Amandine, he came up with an IC reason to merely suggest I consider prosecution.

While I did end up signing up as a prosecutor, I was in no way simply handed the role above all others, which I suppose is what some seemed to think. Perhaps it was the fact that I was also one of Atlantic's News Reporters at the time, and a fairly prominent player, I don't know. What I do know is that they refused to believe that I still had to sign up and was still subject to the same rules and conditions as everyone else.

After the trial drew to a close and Lady Amandine found was guilty, one of her 'defence' (I use that term loosely... *coughs*) started acting rather nasty towards me, making accusations and accusing the EM of showing favouritism. While I calmly attempted to explain to her exactly what had transpired, she would cut me off and would take everything I said out of context to try to use it to validate her argument. She even claimed that she would be emailing the EM to complain about how things ultimately played out.

Why? I can only assume because the outcome of the trial was not what she wanted.
That one was particularly ridiculous. However, I'll refrain from commenting further due to my inability to say anything nice about that player.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree about the lack of respect. When I actively attended EM events on Atlantic, it was never the over-powered monsters, lost insurance money, or failing to get the drop that bothered me. It was the way that people would talk to the EM's and completely disrespect the time and effort that went into their planning. I've seen events where people tell the role-played EM character to shut up about the story and get to the drops. Or there was one time I witnessed some idiots harass an EM until he cancelled the event and postponed it. I really don't get what some players are thinking ...
Agreed there Judas, you can only hear "what are we gonna get, or can I get a sash-or whatever lewtz of the night before you lose track of what the EM is saying, and therefore the event as a whole. Since my character only knows what he learns in game, I do not tend to read the posted stories and feel caught up. I think that is why Aedon truly believes Blackthorn is some sort of undead monster in league with the vampires. After all, he did attend a funeral for the man.

Jacuyl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Breathing is for breathers. I love all events so much that you all should close these browsers and go in game and host some. I.. need.. more!!!

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

First, I hope my posting here doesn't rub any of you the wrong way, or make you feel like you are being put under surveillance *chuckles*.

Secondly, I want to say "thank you" to those who have made supportive comments about the EM team. There is indeed a lot of "behind the scenes" work that happens, and most of us have our own style in terms of how to handle it. Personally, I try to minimize my "robed" presence in favor of RPCs, as I believe that helps with suspension of disbelief - to really get into the affairs of the realm as best as I can present them (not that they are exclusively the domain of us EM...nor should they be). I would like to comment on two things that I have seen both in this thread, and in discussions elsewhere as of late.

The first, is the subject of player run events. As a long time UO player myself, who has run MANY events as a player over the years, I LOVE player driven efforts, and am proud to see our shard being so active in this regard. Thom has spoken very wisely about some of the potential pitfalls of EM-player event interactions. That being said, in the past I have attended events that I was invited to. I cannot always do this due to scheduling issues, but I do so when I can. Recently I happened to be logged in working when I saw the Relay about to happen. Knowing it wasn't an RP event, I decided to stop by to say "hello." I am glad my presence was well received - my inclination (which I'm sure Aedon can appreciate!) is to stay out of your affairs unless they are brought before the King or another official. Though (butt covering time!) that isn't to say the King will be inclined to be involved in everything that is brought before him.

Secondly. It is obvious to anyone who attends events on any shard that there are those whose play style leans more towards being able to acquit themselves well during the final battle of a given event (was that a tactful way of saying it?). Some are very vocal once they grow impatient. It may come as a surprise to you, but other than these instances, I receive VERY little in the way of feedback regarding events. I have seen a number of thoughtful posts in this thread, and I would very much appreciate feedback from any of you in regards to events. What are the things you enjoy? What are the things you don't? If you don't go (Aedon!) what changes would you like to see? You can reach me here, through the Catskills EM site, or directly: [email protected]

Again, I apologize if this disrupts the conversation - I don't think these happen enough (at least not with the level of thoughtfulness that is shown here).

MareJadeSky

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

First, I hope my posting here doesn't rub any of you the wrong way, or make you feel like you are being put under surveillance *chuckles*.
You are all way welcome to post here, and the popping to say hi at the race Sunday was so cool even though you scared the crap out of me lol

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

Secondly, I want to say "thank you" to those who have made supportive comments about the EM team. There is indeed a lot of "behind the scenes" work that happens, and most of us have our own style in terms of how to handle it. Personally, I try to minimize my "robed" presence in favor of RPCs, as I believe that helps with suspension of disbelief - to really get into the affairs of the realm as best as I can present them (not that they are exclusively the domain of us EM...nor should they be). I would like to comment on two things that I have seen both in this thread, and in discussions elsewhere as of late.

The first, is the subject of player run events. As a long time UO player myself, who has run MANY events as a player over the years, I LOVE player driven efforts, and am proud to see our shard being so active in this regard. Thom has spoken very wisely about some of the potential pitfalls of EM-player event interactions. That being said, in the past I have attended events that I was invited to. I cannot always do this due to scheduling issues, but I do so when I can. Recently I happened to be logged in working when I saw the Relay about to happen. Knowing it wasn't an RP event, I decided to stop by to say "hello." I am glad my presence was well received - my inclination (which I'm sure Aedon can appreciate!) is to stay out of your affairs unless they are brought before the King or another official. Though (butt covering time!) that isn't to say the King will be inclined to be involved in everything that is brought before him.

Secondly. It is obvious to anyone who attends events on any shard that there are those whose play style leans more towards being able to acquit themselves well during the final battle of a given event (was that a tactful way of saying it?). Some are very vocal once they grow impatient. It may come as a surprise to you, but other than these instances, I receive VERY little in the way of feedback regarding events. I have seen a number of thoughtful posts in this thread, and I would very much appreciate feedback from any of you in regards to events. What are the things you enjoy? What are the things you don't? If you don't go (Aedon!) what changes would you like to see? You can reach me here, through the Catskills EM site, or directly: [email protected]

Again, I apologize if this disrupts the conversation - I don't think these happen enough (at least not with the level of thoughtfulness that is shown here).
I can't speak for anyone else but i'm glad you popped in on this discussion. I know we can be a bit hard on your time (20 minute meetings that last an hour... 3 hour long governor meetings), but i'd like to see you out and about just enjoying the events from time to time.

I'll toss a little feedback in here for you as well since you asked. I like the way you keep robed appearances to a minimum, and try to include ongoing player plots in your stories. I also really enjoyed the last investigation, and what little I got to see of the fight in Yew. Overall I find your events to be fun, even the meetings that i'm sure you've come to dread.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

Pish, as a player, and a member of the greater UO community you should always feel most welcome to drop in and say HOWDY or join the discussions. It is after all through such intercourse that that things are brought to light or simply worked through to provide a better experience for all.

I do, of course prefer player driven events. I think it is the best of what UO has to offer, and when pulled out well as so many of our shards events are, these events become the springboard to better and deeper RP interaction. But there is always the desire to have some things done within the game mechanics, which we as players do not have the powers to do which help to set the stage for player events. I have seen first hand the contributions made my our EM's, Aegis has a lovely pond through the grace of the Dark lady. These small boons which are greatly appreciated have done so much to enhance the landscape of Sosaria and the ways in which both RPers and Non Rpers interact with each other.

Please never assume that my preference for player driven events is in any way intended to degrade the many contributions you and our past EM's have made. Your have enriched our lives in so many ways, and I am sure any of the community will attest to the genuine fondness we as players have for those who come to our events, clad in robes or dressed as Santa and share your game time and your talents with us all.

Oh and Aedon have not left Sosaria, he just keeps more to his books and tea these days.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great discussion folks.......see how great it can be when relatively intelligent people speak with passion about something they love..... Much better then staring at a list of posts with 60 views and no replies.

I think some may have misunderstood my comment about favouritism being an excuse..... Can the cries of favouritism be heard throughout the shard...of course they can.....do I give one rats bum hole about those cries??? NOPE.

Whether they are 6 years old or 60 some people insist on having it their way. I dont care about their cries.... Nor should any EM, nor should Mes!

I have run teams my whole life, sports team, assault teams, business teams... There will always be people who claim the boss is playing favourites ...ignore it, and if your boss is worth his salt he will ignore it.

If people want pixie crack then yes I want an EM to drop in to 25% of player run events and give some random thing away sometimes. Why? I don't give a crap about items or the gold they bring personally...but I know many do,
and I know the chance that the EM will drop in is enough to increase attendance. And as was said earlier is the biggest problem with player events is lack of players.

The greatest power an EM has is their power to reward the behaviour they want encouraged and ignore the behaviour that needs to be eliminated.

My brain dead cockapoo craves attention.....when he is good and listens to commands he gets attention....when he is bad I stick him in a corner and ignore him. The power of pixie crack is the chance of it gets players to attend. The cries of the spoiled people about favouritism should just be ignored. Let them scream and whine.... Just ignore them, eventually they will either figure it out on their own or they will rage quit and move on....either way the problem is solved.

Again great points and interesting debate.....thanks for chiming in barnaby.
My feed back to you is not all appearances need to be a RP EVENT, some can just be you dropping in to kiss a few babies and pat a few bums....that goes a long way. I don't need you to suspend my disbelief.... I am not a 6 year old :) I can slip in and out of that state easily on my own as I need to :)

What I want from EMs is leadership. I want my EMs to be like the Greek gods of old. Watching and basking in our adoration.... Coming down occasionally to bed some lucky virgin, bestowing occasional gifts...and unleashing the kraken from time to time !

TW

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

First of all, I am SICK and TIRED of the blatant favoritism being shown to the ranger Tserim Arryth. I get it, he's the most handsome and renowned ranger in all of Britannia. No one is disputing that. And sure, his deductions in the case of the missing crate were positively brilliant! Nevertheless, his work would not have been possible without his trusty sidekicks, the Rangers of Spiritwood, as well as his fawning fans in Olympus. Surely they deserve some credit? ;)

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Howdy folks.

Despite how sexy the EM robes are, I'm definitely prefer your approach to using RPCs over the EM as it's always difficult for me to figure out how to react to an "EM" from an in-character perspective.

But seriously, I'm glad you decided to offer your own input and perspective here. These days, more so than in the past glory days of UO, it feels like setting the tone for the shard is a very collaborative effort between players and their EM, and I think it's good to have an open dialogue about what everyone's feelings and expectations regarding their respective spheres.

I was actually surprised to read you don't get very much feedback outside drop-related issues -- my instinct has always been not to e-mail EMs because I didn't want to bother them and figured they were constantly being harassed for stuff. But knowing that you're interested in feedback, I'll try to make more of an effort on this front.

But I'm sure everyone here will agree that what Catskills needs -- even more than Tserim -- is more talking imps ...

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy folks.

Personally, one of the big things that really brought me back into the RP world were the random RP character interactions on Atlantic back when EM Bennu first started up the Crux Ansata. I really enjoyed being able to interact with some of those characters outside of events. So I enjoy most of the appearances being RP characters. Please keep that up!

Also, and @EM_Bennu can attest to this, I love puzzles. Any kind of puzzle. Following clues, deciphering codes... Anything. Best way to keep me happy is to throw in the occasional puzzle that requires more brainpower than the "go kill that big thing over there" events. (not that there's anything wrong with those either, but variety is the spice of life!)

EM Barnaby

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please never assume that my preference for player driven events is in any way intended to degrade the many contributions you and our past EM's have made. Your have enriched our lives in so many ways, and I am sure any of the community will attest to the genuine fondness we as players have for those who come to our events, clad in robes or dressed as Santa and share your game time and your talents with us all.
Thank you for the kind words. It was not my intention to suggest that your preference at all is degrading to any of us EMs, only to prompt, in general, suggestions by those who feel there isn't something for them in EM-driven content but that there could be. This obviously may not even be the case, as the expectations of player-driven and EM-driven content are quite different in terms of audience in general.

What I want from EMs is leadership. I want my EMs to be like the Greek gods of old. Watching and basking in our adoration.... Coming down occasionally to bed some lucky virgin, bestowing occasional gifts...and unleashing the kraken from time to time !
TW
I know you are probably saying this somewhat tongue in cheek, but point taken in regards to non-RP appearances. Some years ago someone commented to me (about the EM team in general) that we were "rockstars" - especially early on in the current program as there was still a veneer of newness present. This is an idea I have never been comfortable with. I don't see my role as such - I just try to provide what creative content I can that is appropriate for our shard's particularities, respecting its histories, while still maintaining global lore and characters, and recognizing the multitude of various play styles. That's a fancy way of saying it is a tightrope walk sometimes :p

So, I don't know about me basking in adoration or coming down from a mountain, and you know we are limited in the gift giving department. I will certainly strongly consider the other suggestions you made in this quote.

Interestingly enough, the precedent for recognizing the presence of "Emissaries" of a higher authority was set by past Catskills EMs, and I continued it under very, very specific circumstances - it has only come up twice in four years. Which leads me to this...

You rang? TeeHeeHEee. What is a Tserim? HeeHeee
Shove off.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all, I am SICK and TIRED of the blatant favoritism being shown to the ranger Tserim Arryth. I get it, he's the most handsome and renowned ranger in all of Britannia. No one is disputing that. And sure, his deductions in the case of the missing crate were positively brilliant! Nevertheless, his work would not have been possible without his trusty sidekicks, the Rangers of Spiritwood, as well as his fawning fans in Olympus. Surely they deserve some credit? ;)
This made me spit coffee.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Just going to play the devils advocate here and restate,in summary,what you said happened about the events surrounding Lady Amandine trial. Please do not take this personally,because I am a disinterested party after-the-fact.It's just what I see from what you have stated.

I)An EM suggested that you apply to be a prosecutor in the trial.
a) Did others sign up before you?
b) Was the sign up on Stratics,of which you were a staff member?
c) Who decided who was to be on each council? Stratics Admins or the same EM that suggested that you apply?
d) What was the criteria of being selected to be on each council?

Again I am not trying to start an argument nor trying to make you upset,but if I saw an EM suggest to you to join the prosecution,of which you were given the position(over other players that shown interest in prosecuting the defendant from the beginning?),on Stratics of which you were a staff member.Yeah,I think I'd be a little upset as well and would have emailed Mesanna and Petra with my concerns. I wouldn't have said anything to you directly,because that wouldn't have gotten anywhere and would have caused nothing but trouble.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just going to play the devils advocate here and restate,in summary,what you said happened about the events surrounding Lady Amandine trial. Please do not take this personally,because I am a disinterested party after-the-fact.It's just what I see from what you have stated.

c) Who decided who was to be on each council? Stratics Admins or the same EM that suggested that you apply?

Again I am not trying to start an argument nor trying to make you upset,but if I saw an EM suggest to you to join the prosecution,of which you were given the position(over other players that shown interest in prosecuting the defendant from the beginning?),on Stratics of which you were a staff member.Yeah,I think I'd be a little upset as well and would have emailed Mesanna and Petra with my concerns. I wouldn't have said anything to you directly,because that wouldn't have gotten anywhere and would have caused nothing but trouble.
a) All of those with an immediate interest sent their emails pretty much as soon as it was opened.
b) No. We were to email the EM directly.
c) The same one that made the suggestion.
d) See below.

#1: Your character's name.
#2: Verify you are available for at least 3 hours and will not be late.
#3: Your choice of positions in order of desire. This is NOT a guarantee.
#4: The ability of your character/yourself to fulfill the role appointed, even if it is contrary to your own opinion.

First off, the suggestion was made purely IC, between one of the EM RP characters and my own. not on Stratics. I was not given the position above anyone else who showed interest, the positions were given based on the time stamp on the email. First come, first served. There were two open positions for Prosecutor and Defence, as well as several for Juror. And as the one that reamed me out applied for and was given her 1st choice as defence, I fail to see the reason for her comments towards me aside from the fact that the outcome wasn't what she wanted.

Edit: I should also add that even after the initial rush, there were still several positions open.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think the best way to answer this objectively is by posting this:

http://stratics.com/community/threa...e-trial-mechanics-and-signup-criteria.279435/

The same post was made on the Atlantic EM site. So I believe it was equally open to everyone at the same time.

Subjectively speaking, from my memory, the trial spots weren't even filled up so quickly to the point where Faeryl had an advantage signing up over anyone else. It was also my impression that Faeryl was suggested as a prosecutor because it was believed she could be an objective, high-ranking Crux Ansata in-character. From what I also recall, this other player wasn't simply upset that Faeryl was chosen as the prosecutor, they were upset that Faeryl represented a successful case against Amandine. This trial was the consequence of an ongoing EM story-line, but the player in question seemed to have a big problem understanding the difference between the in-character and out-of-character. She seemed generally angry with Faeryl the player because Amandine was found guilty.

Obviously, my perspective here is a bit biased because Faeryl is my friend and fellow guild member for about two years now, and most of my interactions with this other player make me want to stab my own eyes out. However, in fairness to my bias, this trial actually occurred before I knew Faeryl outside of seeing her in-game, and definitely before she was part of my guild. And looking back, I'm sure part of how she handled the role-playing aspect of the trial made me want to know her better.

Finally, this other player is hardly an outsider on Atlantic and probably equally as vulnerable to accusations of favoritism.

Dag Nabbit

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Fair replies from both Judas and Faeryl. Kind of a back story on my view on 'favortism' when it comes to games and game forums. I am cynical and untrusting. Too many times I have seen foums admins take on the attitude of "I'm never wrong" and "It's my way or the highway". Also too many times the basic ROE has been broken when I have been attacked. Unless something has changed in ROE,you do not engage someone in a bank area and without first making it known that you intend to attack. One such roe-breaking attack involved a good friend of the GM of the guild I was a member. Naturally there were no repercussions. So yeah,I am a little jaded when possible favoritism is mentioned.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fair replies from both Judas and Faeryl. Kind of a back story on my view on 'favortism' when it comes to games and game forums. I am cynical and untrusting. Too many times I have seen foums admins take on the attitude of "I'm never wrong" and "It's my way or the highway". Also too many times the basic ROE has been broken when I have been attacked. Unless something has changed in ROE,you do not engage someone in a bank area and without first making it known that you intend to attack. One such roe-breaking attack involved a good friend of the GM of the guild I was a member. Naturally there were no repercussions. So yeah,I am a little jaded when possible favoritism is mentioned.
That's completely understandable. I've experienced it myself, particularly during the Seer-era when there were no restrictions about being a Seer on a home shard, both to my advantage as well as my detriment. A fair number of those Seers on Catskills were recruited from the Catskills role-playing community, and at one point a couple of them were even in our guild. There was definitely some abuse of power, as well as perceptions of such where none actually existed. I could go into further detail, but there's really no point since it was so long ago. As for ROE-related favoritism and abuse, I've seen that as well. There was one occurrence on Atlantic in mid-2013 I'm still irritated by.