• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comcast Lag

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awesome. Looks like I won't be playing tonight afterall.

http://i44.***********/1zbdurp.jpg
Looks exactly like mine and why I can do nothing more than a bit of crafting in the evenings anymore, somehow there needs to be some pressure applied to whomever can fix this.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So sad to see a 187 ping from states to Europa/Drach...and 400's to west coast. Guess we can't do anything but crawl around in game.

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's what has been going on today, from 2:15pm CST.

This all starts at IP
204.255.168.213 0.xe-10-3-0.BR1.CHI13.ALTER.NET

That's 157ms ping on the top line and about 55ms on the bottom. It's been constant for the past hour. Virtually unplayable.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
total bs all i got to say............ unplayable 5pm-11pm every night................

V

Vyal

ummmm today is even worse then yesterday..

I mean this is worse then the old days on dial up.
I connect better to shards in Asia then I do to ones down the road :/

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alter.net is the problem. I tried calling Comcast and Verizon they are of no help.

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you see what, if any, the route changes are when you have low latency? Just curious if you're still going through Alter.net at those points.
I'll watch for it, if it ever does go back to low. Usually it's like 20 minutes of suck then 20 of good. It's been 90 mins of suck with no end in sight.

*Edit:

The point where the lag begins is where my qwest.net meets ALTER.NET

67-14-8-190 chp-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net is 25ms average
204.255.168.213 0.xe-10-3-0.BR1.CHI13.ALTER.NET is 160ms average

Also of note, where it leaves ALTER.NET and goes into web.wcom.net it's toggling between servers between the two constantly, like every second.

It's either:

153.63.1.170 to 208.222.8.26

or it's

153.63.88.174 to 157.130.204.26

And it changes between those constantly with some packet loss there as well.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hope someone fixes this issue, many subscriptions could be lost with a huge issue such as this. I can play Star Wars just fine with no lag!!!!!!

V

Vyal

Problem has to be with EA everything else runs fine. On a side note the lag is over for the night so im going to get my pvp on for a hour before I hit the bed.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've found an alternative that will fix your problem. You gotta use our lowerping

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you see what, if any, the route changes are when you have low latency? Just curious if you're still going through Alter.net at those points.
It got better around midnight and has run good since. And it's on the exact path it was before, no change.

T

Ta_Mira

During the day the connections will be good because of businesses that use alter.net. After those businesses close for the day they probably cutback service. This will cause congestion with all the non business traffic until most people go to bed. The the connections will be fine until close of business the next day. If ea doesn't do anything then the problem will continue. The irony is I started playing Napa when all the servers were on the west coast for this very reason and now I can't play Napa but my Catskills connections is great. Too bad my house, all my best characters and stuff are on Napa.

V

Vyal

My cats con is good also but whats strange is I get 50% packet loss but my latency is around 30ms while everything else is 400ms ...

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Alter.net equipment sucks. It's probably old and it definitely cannot handle prime-time internet traffic. I doubt it's being managed and cut-back after business hours. Prime time, 5pm - 10pm is much higher use than during pretty much any day.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jeff Skalski mentioned they have been looking into it with Verizon. Hopefully they will hold their feet to the fire while we hold his to the fire :devil:

source: Jeff Skalski Twitter

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully they can do something.

Here it is so far today:

Starts every day around this time and lasts to 12am to 1am (times are Central) every darn day.

Here's a search for "alter.net lag" that searches back one month link.

V

Vyal

Unplayable lag is back.... Time to quit playing, sucks this happens every night during prime time im done waiting till 2 am to play.
Its good during the time of day there is no PvP then when there is actually PvP the lag starts.
Back to Hybrid & Archlord PvP..

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This sucks, UO is unplayable. I can barely move in game. I really hope they put some pressure on these Alter.net folks to fix this issue. Luckily LOTRO has no lag, guess I'll go do some Holiday quests.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you guys want to play during prime time, you'll have to use lowerping or wtfast. That fixes the lag completely, and is a nice alternative till they solve this issue.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i have to pay extra to play a game I already have to pay to play....

This is starting to become BS....If I cant play after work, then why should I continue to pay for this game. For crying out loud, this is a 2d game that shouldnt require a lot of bandwidth.....

EA, Devs, whatever.....start paying attention to this....NOW....this IS A PROBLEM!!!!!

T

Ta_Mira

I agree. I am seriously considering whether to keep my account active or not.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If the problem is with alter.net the only thing EA can do is request they look into it! And if the owners of alter.net decide not to do anything There is not much EA can do!
Now if all of the people having problems start calling alter.net you will have a improved chance of getting something done!
The only thing EA can do is submit a ticket! Kinda like what we do when we have a problem with them we submit a report!

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regardless if EA is the cause, they may feel the effect.....If i can't play the game, i am not going to continue paying....so. like it or not, it is in EA's best interest to make sure this gets resolved....

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
And what do you suggest they do to alter.net if they are the problem?

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look...i dont care what they do or how they do it....they need to figure it out.

I can tell you this....If this was WOW that had an issue that threatened gameplay for their subscribers during PEAK playing hours, they would not hesitate to do whatever they had to to fix it.

its a numbers game...UO doesnt have enough players for them to pay attention to this or really try....if this issue were really threatening a lot of potential income (if people were to quit over the issue), then trust me....EA would be making it a top priority, calling whoever they had to (yes, at Alter.net if need be)

It sounds as if they are pretty much doing what your post implied....It's an Alter.net issue....hope they can fix it. Now, let's move on to Madden '13.

B

Budwieser

I used Comcast forever until I moved. I have another cable company option now thank god.
Comcast Tried billing me $500.00 for a few months for the equipment that they sent a box for and had alrdy received from me. For 3-4 weeks after they got the equipment back in their hands they still kept calling me, saying I would be charged. Yes Comcast has lost my business for that reason alone. The people where rude and inconsiderate even though they had the equipment the whole time. Amazing. Yes even asking them to track their own package was a chore.

I hope anyone playing UO, reading this whole thread, and working for Comcast takes notes. Go back to your people and fix it. Your not soo big of a company that you won't ever fail. *coughs* (CircutCity) *coughs*.

EDIT:
Just found this;
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Cable-Box-Comes-With-Cockroach-Suprise-117666

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Comcast seems to be ok, I think. When I connect to other games on the west coast, there's no lag. And if I'm playing on servers in the northwest area, it's a lightning connection. It's just these terrible hops to the Ultima servers that's crippling everyone. It's a real shame some of us have had to resort to using proxies for a good connection.

V

Vyal

Here it is again 2 weeks in a row now....
Guess getting done with work then wanting to PvP on UO is totally out of the question anymore. EA doesn't care about UO enough to do something about alter.net and the ****ty equipment they use I don't have any doubt about that.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
started at 7:10 PM, PST

Looks like our new producer has washed his hands of this as well (according to his tweet), so we are on our own....which means we will have to deal with this Mickey Mouse, Half A**ed EA/Mythic company and their lack of concern.

and this is NOT a comcast issue. I have multiple things going on with downloads of videos, and the speed is just fine.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'm sure it does happen on other gaming sites...however...this issue with Ultima has been going on for weeks now...

still not addressed or fixed, and i dont buy this "it's some else's problem so i've done all i can do" BS...sorry...doesnt fly with me

if they wanted to, they could dedicate resources to locate and isolate the problem....if they wanted to

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
if you do a whois look up you will see the ip addresses that are having the problems are owned by mci/verizon no wonder comcast customers are having problems they are direct competition!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
really did not know that the who is just said mci/verizon

I thought they just agreed to work together?

just pulled this from a statment from their rep

·Neither Comcast nor Verizon Wireless is acquiring an ownership interest in the other company, and the operations of the two companies will remain independent, and no customers are being transferred.

pulled from
http://allthingsd.com/20111202/comcast-and-verizon-merge-without-merging/

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there truly nothing that anyone can do about this?

That's nearly 12 hours of this lag today, and check out the last three hours.

Who can anyone talk to, and what do we do if they just don't care?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since Jimmy Pop mentioned about a 12 hours span of bad lag, I'll second it.

My kids have been playing Wizards 101 off & on most of today and I've done my share of UO, surfing and shopping. It was laggy most of the day.

Playing UO sucks during this crap and just surfing the internet it's the difference between pages opening in 1-2 seconds vs. 9 or 10 seconds. It's noticeably slower.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yep...Lag is bad again....312 for me

rest of the internet is fine,,,you tube, downloads....

UO connection sucks again....almost a month now...

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another day of unplayable laggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

V

Vyal

Seems somewhat better lately... Every now and then the lag gets really strange and I stop pinging to some shards others I got 16ms ping with 50% + packet loss in game I run fast but spells and text doesn't work correctly. Seems like someone is trying to fix the problem.

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not better, every day the same thing.

Starts around 3pm Central Time (1pm Pac) and lasts until around Midnight Central (10pm Pac). This is every day.

And the ping plot is the same every time.

After it starts it lasts for ~15 minutes of lag. Then there's 30 minutes of good connection. That pattern keeps repeating itself.

I've had HOURS of lag without any periods of good connection. Currently I'm in a 30 minute period of lag. *Back to good connection after 35 minutes, I have about 30 minutes before it goes bad again.

The lag is always at the same point: 204.255.168.213 0.xe-10-3-0.BR1.CHI13.ALTER.NET

Pings prior to that link are 21ms, once they hit that first ALTER.NET they go to ~155ms.

A whois shows this information. I guess it's verizon.

whois said:
NetRange: 204.252.0.0 - 204.255.255.255
CIDR: 204.252.0.0/14
OriginAS:
NetName: UUNETCBLK252
NetHandle: NET-204-252-0-0-1
Parent: NET-204-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
Comment: ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
RegDate: 1995-02-01
Updated: 2006-12-14
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-204-252-0-0-1

OrgName: MCI Communications Services, Inc. d/b/a Verizon Business
OrgId: MCICS
Address: 22001 Loudoun County Pkwy
City: Ashburn
StateProv: VA
PostalCode: 20147
RegDate: 2006-05-30
Updated: 2011-11-30
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/MCICS

OrgNOCHandle: OA12-ARIN
OrgNOCName: UUnet Technologies, Inc., Technologies
OrgNOCPhone: +1-800-900-0241
OrgNOCEmail: [email protected]
OrgNOCRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/OA12-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE3-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: abuse
OrgAbusePhone: +1-800-900-0241
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]
OrgAbuseRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ABUSE3-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: SWIPP-ARIN
OrgTechName: swipper
OrgTechPhone: +1-800-900-0241
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]
OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/SWIPP-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: SWIPP9-ARIN
OrgTechName: SWIPPER
OrgTechPhone: +1-800-900-0241
OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/SWIPP9-ARIN

OrgTechHandle: JHU140-ARIN
OrgTechName: Huffines, Jody
OrgTechPhone: +1-703-886-6093
OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/JHU140-ARIN

RTechHandle: OA12-ARIN
RTechName: UUnet Technologies, Inc., Technologies
RTechPhone: +1-800-900-0241
RTechEmail: [email protected]
RTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/OA12-ARIN

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PING 700+ WITH PACKET LOSS = LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
287 ping to Pacific, all West Coast shards for that matter. Catskills ping 49. Why?? Very discouraging.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
seriously....this is TOTAL BS!!!!!

yet another evening of 250-350 ping

EVERY EVENING, EVERY NIGHT.....SAME THING

EA/MYTHIC....never mind....what's the use....

enderz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I experienced the same thing.

Since nothing is being done about it and I couldn't play, I unscribed from UO currently and playing other games where this is not an issue. :confused:

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anything be done about this? Ping has been fine most of the day, then about a hour ago I am disconnected. Below is the ping I got.

I wait about 10 minutes and ping improves some.

Here is my speed test to LA. I only have this crap ping with UO and it seems to only happen at night. Lord of the Rings Online, Battlefield 3 have great pings. Speedtest to LA looks good. This is very frustrating since my playing time is in the evenings.

I currently have avg ping of 230 right this moment. This all started around the 1st of this year. I've never had this kind of issue with ping and lag in the 10 years that I've played. Hell this lag is worse than when I was in Korea and playing on Pac.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I experienced the same thing.

Since nothing is being done about it and I couldn't play, I unscribed from UO currently and playing other games where this is not an issue. :confused:
yep...I am cleaning house, donating and selling and going to unsubcribe as well. I'll have some inventory i case someday i may want to return.

although this lag issue is not the sole reason, it has helped my decision move along.

I mean, if I can't play when im off of work...what's the point???? I can't play through that lag and its been going on way too long.

Hope they get it resolved sometime....

C

Carharrt

Why not dump Comcrap and get DSL or some other type of broadband? Only difference I see personally from my old 20mb cable connection(before I moved) to my now 1.5mb DSL is download speed. Hasn`t changed a thing in UO for me.... or Battlefield Hero`s or anything else I play.

Yea,1.5mb sux but when your way back in dem woods... I`m damn happy to have it!

I know I would change ISP`s in a heartbeat if it effected the play in my favorite game like the 5 second step/stop.

Just find it kind of sad that people are so quick to blame EA or devs or whoever when it is something entirely out of their hands. To throw in the towel on UO and quit instead of picking up the phone and changing to an ISP that doesn`t ruin your game.

/shrug

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why not dump Comcrap and get DSL or some other type of broadband? Only difference I see personally from my old 20mb cable connection(before I moved) to my now 1.5mb DSL is download speed. Hasn`t changed a thing in UO for me.... or Battlefield Hero`s or anything else I play.

Yea,1.5mb sux but when your way back in dem woods... I`m damn happy to have it!

I know I would change ISP`s in a heartbeat if it effected the play in my favorite game like the 5 second step/stop.

Just find it kind of sad that people are so quick to blame EA or devs or whoever when it is something entirely out of their hands. To throw in the towel on UO and quit instead of picking up the phone and changing to an ISP that doesn`t ruin your game.

/shrug
I actually dumped dsl for comcast. :) Honestly I don't blame the dev or EA for that matter, IMO they have more clout then some guy in South Carolina when it comes to bellyaching about alter.net being crap.

Anyways I can live with it now, my pings are in the 250 to 300 range for all east coast shards while the west coast are around 120 to 170. This is only affecting UO. LOTRO pings in there normal range of 60 to 70. Battlefield 3 no change. As far as I can tell none of those games are routed thru alter.net.