• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Comcast Lag

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a certain time where UO is unbearable to play. I've asked around in general chat and it seems like the people with Comcast ISP will lag as well. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm having the same issue. Every evening lately, I'm stutter stepping in both clients. I run five steps, stop, run five steps, stop. It's really annoying.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
same here on sonoma shard....

I have comcast and have noticed bad lag this week starting at around 6:30 to around 10pm

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, i noticed it starting around 6ish pm PST.

it doesn't matter what shard you're on. If you have comcast around this time, then you'll lag no matter what. I've speed tested my connection and it's fine. 36mbps. This really needs to get fixed. I also called comcast, they checked my connection and says everything was fine on my side.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YEP... I'm West Coast & have Comcast & just checked my ping. I'm normally in the 40-60 Range & it's 7:32 pst. & command prompt pinging Sonoma (65.216.123.35) shows me @ 231 avg ping atm. Glad to know it's not just me. I think I'll call them & complain !

T

Ta_Mira

I think this is a problem once you get to the uo gateway. I am pinging 80 but once i get to the gateway it wont return packets anymore. I am trying to log on to Napa Valley from TN and I am using comcast as well. However tracing the route everything looks fine with comcast.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Run a UO traceroute and see where the problem hop is located. Most likely a hop or two before the EA routers. Happened to Cox subscribers on the West Coast servers a year or two ago, and it lasted for about a month or two.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am dealing with the same type lag. I am always "stutter-stepping" when casting spells and ending up five or six tiles away after the spell is cast.

RedRum

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been doing the "herky-jerky" since 14December. I ran a check from my end (ComCast-Seattle area) sure enough...fubar on ComCast.

I called their Customer Support to let them know what I found and they said:
"Thank you for the information and we'll look into it."
Which I am beginning to think is a general _____________ (fill in company name) Customer Support explaination of:
"We don't have a flippin idea how this works nor do we want to figure it out...DEAL WITH IT!"

L

Luke Carjacker

Me too. It sucks. I'm glad someone was able to narrow the problem down to Comcast (which I use). Now, wish someone knew how or when it might be fixed.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Olcher, im from the WC, so it affects both coasts. Btw, how do i tracerotue? I know it's off command prompt, but what is the command.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Olcher...

HOW you STEAL MY SCREENSHOT !!! =P

lol... yea Comcast (Seattle Area)...

< CMD PROMPT>
Tracert 65.216.123.35

& the problem is ALTER.NET ..... Most hops 30 ish.. then 162-221 for ALTER.. bleh.....

Anyway, I'll call em tomorrow see what they say also, but not going to hold my breath...

PS... here's the list of ip's for various UO servers that I use... not sure where an official one is, but this seems to work for me.

http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/236266-complete-list-new-server-ip-addresses.html

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless there is a very public outcry via a national news organization or mass exodus of subscribers, nothing will be done. Be honest... what reason would they have to fix this problem if the subscribers have no recourse other than to accept it? All they have to do is flip a switch on their complaint line to play you a canned response about how valuable you are to them. Sound familiar???

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this is a problem once you get to the uo gateway. I am pinging 80 but once i get to the gateway it wont return packets anymore. I am trying to log on to Napa Valley from TN and I am using comcast as well. However tracing the route everything looks fine with comcast.
This is PRECISELY correct for me.

It is the last stop before getting to the actual server that is the culprit for me.

100% Packet Loss, every time.

The IP Address for the Packet Loss for me is: 65.245.224.33. It is the next to the last hop in my trace route.

God I wish they would fix this. It makes for some super scary fights for sure. :sad4:

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same problems mentioned above here. I am on the East Coast and have comcast.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Comcast is a bunch of blood suckers. If I had any choice of cable/internet I'd switch. Direct TV doesn't have the kind of upload that cable provides.

Good luck getting them to fix it. I hate that give Comcast one red cent. Tops on my companies I love to hate.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Comcast is just one of the most shiniest examples of soulless corporation monopolies and how they are ruining the USA. It would be a totally different story if they actually kept up with technology, but they are extremely incompetent and otherwise worthless... and they run anyone else out of town that can do a better job. You think EA has dirt poor customer relations? When you have issues with Comcast and their dropped signals... the first thing they do is blame you. You could never touch anything to do with the cable line, modem, computer... and it's still your fault. Time after time after time, every issue I’ve had with this company is them... not me, and if they would just admit they are the ones at fault it would solve the problem right away vs. prolonging it. hehe. Comcast could be run by a bunch of ducks and be a better company then it is.

I don't know about your area, but where I live 90% of Comcast issues come from the fact the cables are installed, in your yard, 2 inches under ground. Far from being safe from what rolls around the grass on a summer weekend.

I could tell a mighty story about my dealings with this lousy company, but I’d rather dwell on happy thoughts and try and hold onto the small happiness for the Christmas season. ;)

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thing is, my comcast is fine, it's just uo during 7pm = lag. let's see if it happens tonight.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, Comcast has been a Godsend for me with no problems to speak of for years. The only time I have had problems are the recent two events re Ultima connection. I use speedtest.net and have recorded connection speeds daily to the east coast from Calif. and the chart of those tests are quite impressive.

When I have had local problems in the past, where connectivity is an issue that shows up between me and Comcast central, they have a technician out to my house the same day, often within the hour. However if the issue is like the one we have where the last hop through another carrier is at issue, you slam right up to the same customer service issues that plague us all when dealing with businesses that farm out their customer relations.

F

ForTheCity

Don't have lag, but everyday my internet will just die out on me and I have to restart it. Don't know why but only for my laptop and not my desktop.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Comcast has been so ****ty lately that I'm really tempted to ditch them again and stick with DISH and DSL. CenturyLink in my area is up to 20Mbps I think.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's still happening to me, has anyone found a fix around this?

V

Vyal

Lag started about an hour ago latency went from 14ms to 250ms.
East Coast...
Comcast.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried calling and with no help whatsoever... So please tell me if you guys found any solutions. Also, is the lag only evident during UO? Or is it every game?

Did research and found this on an aion forum:

Default Ping/Latency issues after server merges.
Ok, i'll start off, this thread is dedicated to a personal investigation I was doing on my free time.

To start off, I'm on the east coast, in CT. I lived hours away from the old server locations in NY prior to the move. With the release of 1.9, and server merges, AION's routing and server locations were taken from NY, and placed in their center located in Dallas TX.

Under normal circumstances, East coast players should of gotten a slight ping jump while the rest of the US areas benefited substantially. Instead, we have mixed results.

The reason for the mixed results, and players now getting a ridiculously high ping of 150-250 (And some more) when they previously sat at a smooth 30-100, is due to a faulty router.

Below is an example of the latency jump durring hops to the server located in TX...

root@dallas01:~# tcptraceroute 64.25.37.4 7777
traceroute to 64.25.37.4 (64.25.37.4), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 64.120.76.53.ubiquityservers.com (64.120.76.53) 6.369 ms 6.349 ms
6.330 ms
2 * * *
3 65.106.4.233.ptr.us.xo.net (65.106.4.233) 0.347 ms 0.339 ms 0.323 ms
4 te1-0-0d0.cir1.dallas2-tx.us.xo.net (207.88.15.45) 0.536 ms 0.529 ms
0.513 ms
5 206.111.5.202.ptr.us.xo.net (206.111.5.202) 0.495 ms 0.476 ms 0.702 ms
6 0.ae1.XL3.DFW7.ALTER.NET (152.63.96.46) 0.691 ms 0.452 ms 0.921 ms
7 0.ge-0-1-0.XT3.DFW9.ALTER.NET (152.63.0.33) 1.935 ms
0.ge-1-2-0.XT3.DFW9.ALTER.NET (152.63.0.49) 1.805 ms
0.ge-0-1-0.XT3.DFW9.ALTER.NET (152.63.0.33) 11.965 ms
8 POS6-0-0.GW13.DFW9.ALTER.NET (152.63.102.213) 1.692 ms 1.673 ms 1.649
ms
9 ncsoft-gw.customer.alter.net (152.179.113.90) 31.517 ms 31.489 ms
31.459 ms
10 64.25.32.10 (64.25.32.10) 31.454 ms 31.318 ms 31.249 ms
11 64.25.32.26 (64.25.32.26) 31.794 ms 31.775 ms 31.744 ms
12 64.25.37.4 (64.25.37.4) 31.659 ms 31.556 ms 31.573 ms

From hops 8-9, we experience a latency jump above 29ms.

When NCSoft was contacted on this issue, they assured us that it wasn't their router and it was a router owned by Alter.net. After researching, I have discovered that Alter.net is owned by Verizon. So, I myself, contacted Verizon directly.

I had phone conversations and email follow ups with tech support from Verizon. Now, while I am not a NCSoft employee, they could discuss much with me, BUT - I was able to get info out of them.

It turns out, the router before the hop, is owned by Alter.net yes, but that router has gone through a ping test and diagnostic over the past week, and it is getting great feedback with no ping issues. The other router, however, is in fact NOT "OWNED" by Alter.net. It is actually a router owned by NCSoft!!!

NCSoft has been lying to the community about this issue and it was in fact an issue with their own technology. The router creating the jump in ping is owned by them and is either faulty, recieving too much load, or needs to be tuned or re-wired. I have the email I will put below in quotes.

"----------(Deleted, my name.),

I investigated our network and ran non-intrusive tests for troubleshooting.
However because you are not an NCSoft employee I am unable to give any technical details about the findings. However after troubleshooting I did contact NCSoft and report what I found. I spoke with their support staff and they are examining the issue at this time. We checked all the sections of the Verizon Business network (alter.net) and found no trouble on our side. For future reference hop 8 in your traceroute is our router but hop 9 is a router that belongs to NCSoft even though the reverse DNS resolves to an alter.net suffix.

After speaking with NCSoft they asked us to hold our ticket open while they
investigate. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and thank you for contacting Verizon Business.

Thanks again,
Scott Flowers
Verizon Business"

That's the email, I also had phone conversations and other emails prior to this.

(TL;DR):
Long story short, the reason for the ping jump is something that can be fixed by NCSoft. I have proof directly from Alter.net(Verizon). Verizon has contacted NCSoft and there are claims it is not finally being fixed. East coast players may see substantial ping resolution soon close to what we had prior to the server move to TX. But, it is not for sure, because NCSoft may of just blown off Verizon.

My advice, send a support ticket to technical support if you experience issues, give this evidence I provided in the ticket so that our word is out there and don't let NCSoft blow it over like it's not a big deal. This needs to be resolved.

You're welcome in advanced if my personal findings and personal research does actually resolve this finally. It's pretty sad I as a community member had to research this myself because of NCSoft's incompetence. Now they'll have to think of a new excuse instead of blaming Verizon if they want to blow off the east coasters.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other people in other MMO'S are having problems with Comcast as well, so it's not only us. I.E. Star Wars (Bioware) Hmm, see a correlation? This also happened to with the release of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King. Comcast saw a high volume of traffic of specific packets and is throttling is my explanation. So i think in order for this to be fixed. EA needs to speak to them. It took Blizzard nearly 2 weeks to fix the same problem we ALL are having.

V

Vyal

I called Comcast up and they assured me it has nothing to do with them. This could very well be a problem with the EA servers but im clueless here atm as to what the problem is.

Andy316

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is getting very annoying to the point, where im considering of getting another ISP..

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go to control panel
go to network connections
click on local area connections
go to support tab
click on repairs
that don't work try
unplugging your modem from the wall socket for 20 minutes, or unplug it when you go to sleep, and plug it back in when you wake up.
If your using a router reset it my brother calls me from upstairs asks me reset the router I'm getting real bad lag I reset it no more lag, but sometimes that doesn't fix it. He gets on the phone with comcast, acts like an ass and waffles I pay for my cable, and the internet I expect my services to work properly, if you can't get them to work properly I will go with another provider 5 minutes later fixed with a $10.00 credit to the bill.
when they say the have to send someone out.
Guy comes in takes his meter reader gadget reads the internet cable line says theres no problem, and hes done. I still don't have internet, but theres no problem.Its my pc yes my new pc that my brother built me 2 days ago. I ask for a new modem its old that might be the problem guy says Its fine I don't need one doesn't replace it. Our lines are above ground, so I said maybe the line outside need changing we do get alot of squirrels running on it, and they like to chew cables. He went and change the cable made sure everything was tighten even gave me a longer cable for inside, but no new modem, least he got the internet working for about 10 minutes.
My brother goes up to best buy to buy a modem cuz the guy wouldnt give us a new one. He hooks it up calls comcast waffles about how the guy wouldnt give us a new modem. Tells the lady he bought a new modem gives them the model #. It was the modem like I said all he had to do was give me a modem and he was done lol but what do I know.
Later I found this out from a lady who use to work for comcast. If the problem is comcasts we dont have to pay for him coming out. but if the problem is on our end like my pc as he claimed we get charged $60.00. but since we got our own modem we haven't any problems, and we also save I think $9.00 or so a month off our bill now.
LOL almost a year later my cable goes out for my tv. Same guy comes out pulls out that gadget of course its my tv, and he wont give me another box, but changes all my cable wires. Next day my cousin comes out to fix my tv. first thing he sees that my output and input was wired wrong fixes it and, sets my tv up on video feed instead of just the cable wires so now its working perfect. calls comcast, tells them my tv cable was wired wrong he fixed it and he ask for a credit which he got a credit of $75.00.
your the customer your always right, pancake if you have to.

V

Vyal

The fact that I ping 14ms to all the east coast shards then as soon as like 9pm EST comes around I get around 250ms or higher making it seem like the dark ages when I play. Seems like it would either be Comcasts fault or EA's.

Calling Comcast only pisses me off & having techs come out is 90% of time a waste.

Hey don't get me wrong before that specific time everything on the service works way beyond anything you get from DSL/SAT or anything else.
I download torrents at like 10mbs, play UO, stream music, run 2 laptops & have 2 360's hooked up to live while watching shows on demand but it's like a flip of the switch when 9 pm comes around.

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Replying because I have lag too. I'm on the west coast with comcast. This has actually been going on for around 2 months for me. I used to ping around 94ms to the east coast. Now it's always 120+ and on peak hours I can't even move.

I don't know if it's ok to talk about it here, but if you have extra cash to knock around, there's a site called lowerping.com that has helped me get back a good connection.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Are you sure it's just comcast? I've been having some issues with my connection for a couple of days, and my provider is Bright House.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey guys,

Hoping we can get some investigation into this after the 2nd when business starts getting back to normal a bit. It's more than Comcast having the issues though Alter.net seems to be the underlying culprit with latency.

The good news is I've taken up micro-brewing in UO instead of looking behind me before the grey screen and rez'ing to find the monster has long since passed me and searching for others :)

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The issue is with IP's ending with ALTER.NET

I get 25ms pings until I hit those ALTER.NET addresses, where my ping jumps to 180ms or sometimes to 250+ms.

It's a cycle of regular connection then the lag connection. About 25-30 minutes it runs good, then 15 minutes of high pings. That cycle lasts for a few hours every night.

V

Vyal

I don't understand exactly who's fault it is though. Is it Comcasts fault for sending people through the alter.net routers is it alter.nets fault, or is it EA's fault?

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well something is wrong and judging by my Catskills ping I would say the problem is not Comcast. This just started today for me.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand exactly who's fault it is though. Is it Comcasts fault for sending people through the alter.net routers is it alter.nets fault, or is it EA's fault?
I don't give a crap whose fault it is! I send my payment each month to Comcast for my service and THEY are responsible for ensuring we get what we are paying for.

It doesn't matter whose network or routers they pair with. If the service isn't up to the standards of the 50 Mb/s service I pay for, it's their responsibility to FIX IT or demand whoever owns the other parts of the network to fix it.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's nearly exactly how bad mine was earlier tonight. As is usual it's already better at the moment.

T

Ta_Mira

I have done alot of trouble shooting on this in the past with a different isp. Comcast will say it isn't them and technically it is true. I tried contacting alter.net directly however was told by my isp to stop once alter.net realized I was not their customer. I believe that alter.net might be connected to UO's isp rather than comcast.

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's what it looks like. The top line is 160ms and the bottom line is 50ms.

This is from a few minutes ago, but happens like this every day.

V

Vyal

Here we f*kin go again with this lag......
Same time as usual.

This crap is getting old

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same thing today.....it's bad and started about an hour or so ago