Cleaning up the UI ( and a new skin ) WIP

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 30, 2006
The work is slow going on this - here's a screenshot of what I have so far.

EDIT: Looks like the thumbnail doesn't lead to a fullsize for some reason...here's a direct link:
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7875/wipyb.jpg

While this looks like a simple re-skin, there's a lot going on under the hood:

- All needless scaling has been removed from the XML files. This means things in general will look more crisp and less blurry.

- One-use buttons or buttons that weren't used at all have been taken out of the templates and replaced with generic buttons.

- XML files are being "re-organized" - all buttons will be in a button template, all window elements will be in a window template, etc

- all DDS files are being re-mapped and re-made. This will make creating custom skins MUCH easier. Want to re-skin the buttons? Open up the buttons DDS. Want to re-skin the radar? Open up the radar's DDS. Separate items will now have their own separate DDS files to make things easier and more organized. Below are how some of the DDS files are currently laid out:

As you can see, everything is clearly laid out, with boundaries clearly established. Everything on the button template, for instance, is made using dimensions that are a factor of 11 - the smaller buttons are 11x11 pixels, the bigger buttons are 22x22 pixels. Everything on the menu bar template is 50x50 pixels. If you want to make a custom skin, you KNOW where the button belongs on the template. This wasn't the case with the default templates.

There's still a LOT more work to done, but I figured I would post this and get some feedback since it's starting to look like something.

Note: All of these changes are being done to the default UI. In it's current state, this doesn't support Pinco's UI - but, I do have plans of adding support. I just wanted to start with the default UI to get a feel for things.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Looks like a good idea, especially streamlining the code, and taking out unused (and sometimes confusing) textures. I'll be happy to look through the finished project as it may work well for a complete rewrite of mine as well.

For Pinco's UI, I simply took a base version of his, ported over the textures, then tweaked the XML accordingly (mainly because my UI's have taken quite a few liberties with textures and placements).

Oh a couple of ideas/projects you might also look at:

1. A separate background for the paperdoll vs the background used now (which is used for ALL default windows which the paperdoll uses)

2. I THOUGHT I had a number two but I don't remember what it was, so I'll reserve this for if I think of it again.

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 30, 2006
...1. A separate background for the paperdoll vs the background used now (which is used for ALL default windows which the paperdoll uses)
I briefly took a look at this...I know it can be changed...but I'm thinking of the best way to do it. I'm fairly certain I could make a "light_background_default_window" and a "dark_background_default_window"...but I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to do it. Seems a waste to have two default window templates, and just have one used by the paper doll.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

Yeah, I looked into it a few weeks back as well, thinking I could create a separate background call as well, but it looks like it would take an actual "paperdoll window" as a whole to reference instead of just the default window (which may of course be helpful in creating alternative/more intuitive versions of the paperdoll... I dunno.

Either way, keep going, it's good to have another designer working on UI stuff!

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Update:

The paperdoll window now uses a separate window template to give it a different background. Instead of using UO_DefaultWindow, it now uses UO_DefaultWindow_BlackBG.

I'm not sure how many people realize it, but the SA client actually uses the same engine as Warhammer online, which is also owned by EA. As such, it also uses the same interface engine - I'm currently going through WAR's interface coding seeing if I can learn anything useful. So far, I've found several things that aren't documented in UO - the most useful thing I've found so far is the <Tintcolor> command. For some reason it doesn't show up in the UO interface manual, even though it's actually used once for the SnapWindowTemplate's green color. I've used this command to give the black color shown below for the paper doll window:

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 1, 2009
1. DEVS! Take a look a this! All that "under the hood" streamlining should be integrated into the standard game.

2. If this end up as a "start here" package for modders, that would be great.

3. If it could be integrated into pincos or other existing mods, that would be great too.

4. like what you did graphically with the buttons and the paperdoll slots, etc.

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 30, 2006
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/513/wipt.jpg

Graphically, this mod is about 90% done. I've got some more re-organizing and stuff to do in the XML files and what not, but it's nearing completion. The above link has a screenshot of what it looks like in it's current state.