• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

• Thread starter UODevTracker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cal_Mythic

There's something that those agitating for a classic shard don't seem to get, and it is becoming clear in this thread. At no point in it's lifetime was UO ever perfect. There was no point in UO's lifetime, not even way back in whatever mythical time you happen to think was UO's zenith, where there weren't plenty of complaints about all kinds of issues. If a classic shard is created that reverts to a particular time period all the issues that were present in game, all the imbalances and bugs, all the exploits that have been fixed since then will either have to be fixed, or they will be recreated.

There is something in psychology called "the halo effect". It happens when we tend to think of a subject as all good, or all bad, and in doing so ignore or forget all the evidence that contradicts that general impression. This applies perfectly to the views of many who are asking for a classic shard. They seem to think that at some point in UO's history there was a time when the game was as perfect as it will ever be, and forget that there was never a time when UO wasn't plagued by bugs, imbalances, exploits, cheats, haves and have-nots, anti-social pricks, and the list is endless.

I don't have a problem with a "classic shard" if it replaces Siege and Mugen, but I don't want to see a third rules set being supported that pulls development bandwidth away from the core game as it exists now. Because if a "classic" shard is created the devs aren't going to be able to simply set it up and let it run. There are going to be bugs that will need to be fixed, exploits that will need to be fixed, imbalances that will need to be addressed, and development decisions that will have to be made.
Well-crafted :)

C

Cal_Mythic

Well it's obvious at this point that most of the people in the thread agree on the major issues, but to give much needed credence to the idea will require some sort of outreach on the devs part, perhaps a newsletter poll?

Not of the will you support a classic shard nature, but more what would you like to see in a classic shard? In an ideal world I would have the devs approach some of the more populated retro free shard forums and post the announcement of a possible classic shard along with a short questionnaire.

Honestly I think the best way this shard can come to fruition is if we the players agree on the major points and more or less allow EA to hammer out some of the micro issues that will likely never be agreed on completely, either that or just say majority rules on said issues.

But since there are a handful of people here who have done most of the discussing, it isn't like they can justify pitching a new shard idea on the back of these few threads and it will show that the devs are treating it like a real priority.

I think there is certainly a huge potential draw here for EA but I also understand it is a business first. It would be absolutely amazing if we could hear back from Cal or another dev on getting something like this put together?

Anyways just my two cents, keep up the civil discussions everyone and lets remember that no matter how passionate we all may be about the game, we are talking to real people who have real feelings on the other side.
Not that I've been watching this whole thread or anything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.