• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic Shard

• Thread starter The Green Thief
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
T

The Green Thief

Yep. We've all been crying for a classic shard for years. Kinda nice that they are at least considering the idea.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted- thanks for showing this.
Just have to wonder- saw some 80 people or so voted against it. That is like you go to ball games, but I don't, and you are voting whether or not to have cold beer served at them. Since I won't participate and it won't cost me anything, why would I care to oppose it? Just to be contrary? I can't see myself voting against anything that people wanted on a shard I didn't have to even visit

U

Unsatisfied

Don't just vote scroll down the uhall page a little to my classic shard discussion thread and get vocal to what you want and why you want it. 2100 or so replies so far, don miss out on having the say for the thieves side.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
will do. I don't think I'd give up my char on siege- I have quite a bit of time and work invested in him. But I'd definitely have a go at a classic shard. UO seemed simpler and more fun when I started.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Agreed. Think of all the former UO players that would resubscribe if they actually did something with this idea.
What about the current ones? Sure I remember the "Good Ol'Days" and I remember the fun I had then. But to be quite honest as much of a pain as some things are now I'd have to say I'm having more fun playing now than back then.

From a Thief perspective, there's less challenge then than now, now it's about waiting, and searching finding that good steal. When back when you could run a Disarm thief and get away with a nice Vanq a lot of the time where was the risk and the challenge? Now we have to earn what we get....

T

The Green Thief

What about the current ones? Sure I remember the "Good Ol'Days" and I remember the fun I had then. But to be quite honest as much of a pain as some things are now I'd have to say I'm having more fun playing now than back then.

From a Thief perspective, there's less challenge then than now, now it's about waiting, and searching finding that good steal. When back when you could run a Disarm thief and get away with a nice Vanq a lot of the time where was the risk and the challenge? Now we have to earn what we get....
I disagree. But we've had this discussion at length in many other places. Let's try not to take this thread is a bad direction.

Simply stated, I posted this so that people can vote and have a say. If you don't like the idea, vote against it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I disagree. But we've had this discussion at length in many other places. Let's try not to take this thread is a bad direction.

Simply stated, I posted this so that people can vote and have a say. If you don't like the idea, vote against it.
I'm not against a classic shard, actually I'd support it more than the concept of Siege. I'm just stating that nostalgia has it's place, but don't forget the merits of what we have now and there are some merits.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But a lot of us don't play because of what we have now.

It would fully depend on the numbers, but if a Classic Shard brought back a decent amount of players from a business stand point it makes sense. However its never that simple of course - all those who purchased 6th/7th character slots can they use them on the Classic Shard? What about everyone who just bought SA; this surely wouldnt be on a classic shard?

A lot to work on, however its encouraging that its at least been spoken about out loud now.

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes, but remember- this isn't a change to all of UO. This is an addition of a classic shard to please/attract a certain player class that enjoyed it.

If they suggested a shard of naked drunk dwarves, that could only grow bonsai trees and spin cloth, and I knew that a gazillion players wanted it I would just have to vote yes. So what it doesn't meet my play style or aspirations? What it would do would be to increase the player base, add longevity to UO, and let me play the game that I enjoy. Plus, I just couldn't bring myself to nay-say a shard I don't have to participate in, but would bring other people happiness.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes, but remember- this isn't a change to all of UO. This is an addition of a classic shard to please/attract a certain player class that enjoyed it.

If they suggested a shard of naked drunk dwarves, that could only grow bonsai trees and spin cloth, and I knew that a gazillion players wanted it I would just have to vote yes. So what it doesn't meet my play style or aspirations? What it would do would be to increase the player base, add longevity to UO, and let me play the game that I enjoy. Plus, I just couldn't bring myself to nay-say a shard I don't have to participate in, but would bring other people happiness.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against a Classic Shard, it's just going to be difficult to put one in place that makes the most people happy. I was talking about this with some buddies the other night. We all agree that if it's not a UO:R era or LBR era shard it's doomed to be another Siege, attracting mainly those interested in Stealing or PvP and not have a really good stable cross section of the player base. On the other hand the more vocal people wanting it want a T2A era shard, which while it was fun, left much to be desired for those not wanting to live the PvP life. I mean you can only fit so many folks in that little cave in Minoc...

Like I said I'm not against it, just if it happens how are they going to implement it where it has the biggest chance of actually working. The best option would have been to have left {X} number of shards behind (One East Coast, One Central, One West Coast, One Asia, One Europe, and Oceania for example) when they released expansions and opened mirrored copies of them with the new rules and additions and set a date to decide which house you were going to keep, if you had one, but that's water under the bridge.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree in regards to it needing to fit in a 'Trammel life style' in there.

To me one of the main draws to a 'Classic Shard' is it having a player base. I *do* play UO right now, I find working in the Games Industry that I don't really have time to invest into new titles (single or mp) so having a subscription to UO means I can log in and acomplish something and then log out. However I tend to close this account at certain points, primarily those when the game is quieter, the holiday seasons. Which 5 years ago was the opposite, this was when UO was its busiest.

Personally I'd take a shard that had JUST introduced trammel, let both sides of the coin be happy - but let us be happy together and not divided!

I know many will disagree :)

On another note, perhaps the idea is not create an 'Alternative Shard'. One taking the best of now and best of before. Keep in power scrolls but remove items - keeping Fell hunting alive. Keep in custimzable houses but remove Ish/Malas etc - keep the player base in tighter areas.

Personally i'd love to be sitting around the Developers table right now thrashing this out, although I don't envy the person making the decision!

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah, I would be thinking trammel and fel- or a lot of people wouldn't come.

B

Bud_Weiser

I had to chime in here even tho I am an OLD OLD OLD skool UO player who is now a WoW player raiding new content...

.... I would love to see a Classic Shard around Pre Pub 16. That is when I had the most fun. Sure, toss Trammel in there if you want, but that's it.

The nice thing about Tram in Pre Pub 16.... looting corpses in Destard. ;) I would love to see it and I would come back to play it.