• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Clarification on an abbreviation of the word Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Recently, the word "jap" has begun to be used with frequency on these forums, and that has caused a bit of a stir. So, to clarify things for everyone, I'm posting this note. The word is considered offensive by many people around the world. I realize that some people are not aware of this, but it is true nonetheless.

So, our policy is going to be to disallow use of this word. In cases where it appears people are just unaware of the policy, and the word was not used in a malicious manner, they will be asked to edit their post, with an explanation of our policy. This will not be an "official" warning, but rather a simple request. People who keep using the word, after it's been documented that they were made aware of the policy, will have action taken against their account(s).

If you simply must use an abbreviation for Japanese, I believe that JP is acceptable (and one less letter to type).

Please do not start new threads asking about or make posts in existing threads talking about this word, its degree of offensiveness, our about our policy - the same goes for any other word. Direct any questions or comments in PM, or write to [email protected].

For those who are offended by my use of the word here, I apologize, but many people truly don't understand the offensiveness of the word, and some probably wouldn't know what I was talking about if I didn't use it once as an example

G

I am posting this to the public so that you have an idea of the logic behind this decision. I posted a slightly different version in the staff forums discussing this issue and I'd like to pass it on here so that it may hopefully be put to rest and the request respected once explained.

I'm going to let these clips speak to you first:
American Toons from WWII Take a look at first toon on second page and watch it. That demonstrates the connotation the word "jap" has for those who are familiar with it, as a racial caricature that was considered appropiate for that era in American history but is seen as inappropiate and insulting in the here and now which is what we are attempting to address. In a way, I'm glad to see it has lost such an ugly connotation, where people can be oblivious to how nasty it was. I would ask that you who do know forgive those to whom this is news to, we all have such blind spots in knowledge of the world and history.

I am not arguing for political correctness out of control, however I do believe that respecting that while the term is not familiar to you as offensive, or is not used in such a way as to be considered so to your friends and family whom it may apply that for others it IS hurtful and hostile, and weigh which is the priority, respecting others boundaries and being willing to let it go out of a interest in the greater good of a forum, or holding on to it because in your own worldview it is nonoffensive so it's their problem not yours.
Knowing when it is truly a semantic issue, and when it is a broader issue of a genuine insult to a specific portion of a very wide community is indeed difficult, and sometimes I agree some people will look for anything to pancake about but in this case the data behind it being a confirmed slur for decades is enough for me to base my judgement on and ask it not be used.
Even if you are ignorant or innocent of using a term derogatorily, it does not excuse or make right those who will and do so here. Leaving it ambigous and judged as a case by case basis means every time a moderator encounters it they will need to judge that person and assume they know how they meant it in order to determine if it a violation or not and when they do another poster will be able to point to someone else who was allowed to and ask "why can they do it if I can't, you just have something against me....".

I can try to teach my mods to be good mediators, diplomats, and judges but I can't make them mind readers. I hope you understand this outlook in handling the matter and of course, [email protected] reaches myself and the other Admins here.

Ciao,
Bella

Status
Not open for further replies.