• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

City of Heroes goes free-to-play.

Squeax

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Freedom Overview | City of Heroes

This whole F2P thing is just a passing fad I tell you! LOL

So let's see, D&D Online, Lord of the Rings, WW2 Online, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, City of Heroes all F2P now... Jeez pure subscription games are an endangered species.

R

RavenWinterHawk

So let's see, D&D Online, Lord of the Rings, WW2 Online, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, City of Heroes all F2P now... Jeez pure subscription games are an endangered species.
Nothing is free to play. Limited to play. Never free.

Dude and when you pay for upgrades, you are paying a fee.

Its a hustle. Argh.

S

Shinobi

Its a hustle. Argh.
Sooo, being that we pay both subscription fees and upgrade fees, UO would be considered a flat-out mugging?

D

DenAlton036

"Sooo, being that we pay both subscription fees and upgrade fees, UO would be considered a flat-out mugging?"

LOL, perfect.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Sooo, being that we pay both subscription fees and upgrade fees, UO would be considered a flat-out mugging?
Whatever they call it... we pay.

It aint free.

Should read... parts of the game are free to play, want it all pay... if we upgrade pay... want a dash of this pay...

Id rather pay a monthly fee and get it all and decide if I want the additions.

I hope people arent really fooled that is free to play.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Its a hustle. Argh.
If I understand correctly, in both Eve Online and D&D online, if you grind enough, you can get everything though the game, without having to purchase anything.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever they call it... we pay.

It aint free.

Should read... parts of the game are free to play, want it all pay... if we upgrade pay... want a dash of this pay...

Id rather pay a monthly fee and get it all and decide if I want the additions.

I hope people arent really fooled that is free to play.
Actually it IS free. You don't ever HAVE to buy anything. That's the point. People DO buy things, but its not mandatory. You can still play, and do tons of things. And as was mentioned some of them you can do EVERYTHING free, it just takes grinding.

Its not trickery, people know how the f2p pay paradigm works.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
D&D Online

Dungeons & Dragons Online - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DDO Store Guide - DDO Compendium

There are three subscription types:

FREE
PREMIUM
VIP

FREE
Two character slots, can purchase more
Base Quest Difficulty Options: Casual, Normal: Free Hard, Elite: Earn or buy
Existing Packs: Some free, can purchase unlimited access to others individually

PREMIUM
After your first purchase in the DDO Store, your FREE subscription is permanently upgraded to PREMIUM!

All PREMIUM players receive:

Everything FREE players get plus:

Two additional character slots (4 total)
Gold limit increase (5 gold vs 2)
Faster login

VIP
All VIP players receive:

Everything FREE and PREMIUM players get plus:

500 Turbine Points monthly
Shared bank slot
10 character slots
Unlimited free access to all existing quest packs

What is a DDO VIP?

Sounds important, right? Well, it is. DDO VIPs are players who want unlimited access to all of the content DDO has to offer. This newly optional subscription program also allows its gamers to enjoy a number of other exclusive benefits, such as a monthly grant of Turbine Points, priority access to servers, additional character slots, a shared bank slot, and much more.

The cost of becoming a DDO VIP is:

US $143.40 Every 12 Months (20% Savings)
US $77.70 Every 6 Months (13% Savings)
US $29.97 Every 3 Months (33% Savings)
US $14.99 Monthly

UO FTP
FREE

Just remove the 14 day restriction on the trial accounts.

PREMIUM

Some but not many perks.

VIP

Just like D&D online, everything free and I would even pay thier fees for it because it would only be an $23 a month per account.

R

RavenWinterHawk

You all get that it is free to play, to get you there.

Then you pay for more or for conveinence.

Nothing is free to play.... the guy that has to grind for hours might get what they need, but the are put in the position to work harder then others.

Which is fine with me... so your not paying cash... you are paying with time.

It is just marketing... right?

Get you in... get you liking... get your money eventually.

I will say free to play makes it easy for people to jump in and hang around. But something tells me that is done because it aint worth paying a subscription for, if it were, it wouldnt be FTP.

W

Woodsman

Squeax, since you posted a little about f2p, but not much, in one of the other numerous f2p threads, could you expand on this:

Let freebies run around Britannia but not Ilshenar/Malas/whatever. Let them pay a few bucks for that.

Sell one-shot soulstones pre-loaded with GM (not Legendary) skills. Who cares if some newbie gets to bypass beating a golem for 3 days or whatever? He'll still have to get to 120 the old-fashioned way at some point.

Temporary bless deeds. I dunno what the point of these would be really, when we have insurance, but I'll bet people would buy them. God knows being blessed adds WAY more value to an item now than you'll ever save on insurance even if you die more than Kenny.

Pet stuff. Feed your pet this thingy and it bonds instantly. Feed it this other thing and it gains X points of STR toward max. Whatever. Get someone to draw a PROPERLY HUED blue dragon or whatever and sell that.

Create a magical tool doohickey that can change the appearance of an equippable item. You know let people change a bascinet into a plate helm with the same stats, or whatever. Will need a lot of restrictions to not have any real effect on combat. No turning a plate piece into leather to gain medability, etc.
Since you're a big fan of f2p, what else would you do under an f2p system?

Anybody who says they are a big fan of f2p should really explain what they'd like to see under an f2p system, so that everybody else can see what their view is.

W

Woodsman

This is a repost of mine from one of the other numerous f2p threads:

Those of you who keep talking about f2p is the way to go, put your money where your mouth is and start laying out f2p options and packages. Don't be vague. I've provided a link to information on the trial restrictions at the bottom of this post. Use it. Show us what you think an f2p account could be. I may believe that UO has bigger problems than payment options, but I'm willing to consider it and spend a few minutes laying out specifics.

Full monthly subscription ($10 - $13 depending on payment option) required for the following:
- Ownership or co-ownership of a house
- Own vendors
- Own boats
- Participate in guilds or factions
- Have over 85 in a skill and have more than 500 points in skills
- Use any scrolls or soulstones/fragments
- Mining anything above iron or lumberjacking anything above regular wood
- Fishing up anything better than basic fish
- Obtaining color BODS
- Having more than 2 characters on a shard (in keeping with other f2p games)
- Have more than 75,000 in gold (similar to other f2p games)
- Have more than 60 items in a bank box (similar to other f2p games)
- Use checks and commodity deeds

Everything listed for the full monthly subscription above is both to keep existing customers from feeling ripped off, and is to keep the scripters from being able to do some of their scripting on free accounts. The above is also to provide a very clear point for people to decide if it's worth a monthly subscription or not. Finally, it's to ensure that subscriptions/revenue don't drop - the goal is supposed to be additional players, not a dropping of revenue from existing players. A drop in revenue would be bad news for UO.

Each f2p package below is independent of one another. Obviously, anything that is listed in the packages below would be barred on a completely free account.

Package #1 (Montly payment of $4)
- Allows f2p account to be friended to a house
- Allows f2p accounts to buy from vendors
- Allows f2p accounts to visit Felucca, T2A, Malas, Ilshenar
- Allows f2p accounts to do quests
- Allows f2p accounts to board ships
- Allows f2p characters to be created using elves
- Allows f2p characters to have up to 75,000 in gold (free limit - 35,000 in gold)

Package #2 (Monthly payment of $4)
- Allows f2p accounts to have up to 60 items in a bank box (free limit - 30 items)
- Allows f2p accounts to have up to 70 items in their backpack (free limit - 40 items)
- Allows f2p accounts to have higher than 70 in a skill (capped at 85)
- Allows f2p accounts to have amount of skills up to 500 points
- Allows f2p accounts to obtain anything more than basic loot
- Allows f2p accounts to use bags of sending, pet summoning balls, etc.

It is based in part on a thread from last year detailing trial account restrictions:
Did some searching and this is all I could find on what limits there are on trial accounts....

Removed the 15 day character age requirement for house placement
Players are not allowed to place a house while on a trial account
Players are not allowed to co-own or be traded a house while on a trial account
Trial accounts have travel restrictions –
Cannot visit Felucca dungeons or Felucca T2A
Trial Accounts have the following resource restrictions -
Will only receive basic ores and logs (iron, plain logs) even if they'd otherwise qualify for better types
Will not receive sand or stone when mining
Trial Account Misc. restrictions -
Will not receive ML rewards for resource gathering (jewels, ingredients, and white pearls while fishing)
Will not receive rewards, monster kill points, or virtue points from champ spawns
Will not get scrolls while doing champ spawns
Will not gain Justice virtue points for killing murderers
Cannot use Valor or Justice virtues
Cannot Protect or be Protected by another player
Can not join factions or faction aligned guilds
If in a guild they will be removed from the guild, if their guild joins a faction
Cannot use Scrolls of Alacrity, Power Scrolls, Stat Scrolls, or Scrolls of Transcendence
Cannot use Commodity Deeds
Cannot do Community Collections
Cannot use Soulstones or fragment soulstones
Cannot use Pet summoning balls
Cannot use Bracelets of Binding
Cannot use the Bag of Sending
Cannot do any repeatable quests – even if they are normally repeatable
Cannot acquire BOD’s
(also can't have vendors)
The reason why I based my packages on the trial restrictions is partly because the mechanisms are already in place and that simplifies things, and also I'm trying to keep the f2p accounts from losing some of the sandbox aspects of UO, while at the same time preserving the value of the subscriptions and keeping revenue high enough that UO doesn't get in trouble with EA.

F

Fayled Dhreams

This is a repost of mine from one of the other numerous f2p threads:

It is based in part on a thread from last year detailing trial account restrictions:
The reason why I based my packages on the trial restrictions is partly because the mechanisms are already in place and that simplifies things, and also I'm trying to keep the f2p accounts from losing some of the sandbox aspects of UO, while at the same time preserving the value of the subscriptions and keeping revenue high enough that UO doesn't get in trouble with EA.
Well ... if you >insist< on incorporating a new "model" ... just as well consider a "High End" option.

UP the subscriptions FOR the true Elite ... say a $20usd >flat rate< per month ... no bulk time discounts.
Preferred Stock holder type options/benefits
Voting rights (with steering impact)
Direct access to the Board of directors (The code writing Developers)
assignment of proxy votes to sort the monied investors into >self sorting< ranks/groups ...

Just saying ...
opening up the intro levels of the game at reduced impact(limited access/abilities)
is not as likely to result in long term vets
as shopping through established vets playing basically out of habit
by Opening a new option of "putting their money where their opinions lay" ...

Just something to consider
the shuffling masses >will always be there<
NEED intelligent committed/vetted LEADERSHIP ...

this might be a way to get it ...

:danceb: burma shaving with better ideas ...

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ouhh, someone had a nice evening yesterday :p

I like the idea of UO becoming a democracy hehe...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You all get that it is free to play, to get you there.

Then you pay for more or for conveinence.

Nothing is free to play.... the guy that has to grind for hours might get what they need, but the are put in the position to work harder then others.

Which is fine with me... so your not paying cash... you are paying with time.

It is just marketing... right?

Get you in... get you liking... get your money eventually.

I will say free to play makes it easy for people to jump in and hang around. But something tells me that is done because it aint worth paying a subscription for, if it were, it wouldnt be FTP.
The -F- in f2p is talking about money. Not time. Yes, you CAN play for free. No one MUST buy upgrades. You may be at a disadvantage but you CAN play for free.

Obviously the point of f2p is to get money, the same with subscriptions, but they also are aware they there are some people who WON'T buy anything. Probably most people will not.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the issue with some Vets that if UO went to F2P it would not be "fair" that they paid all these years before and then it's all free. F2P has restrictions in most games. I think some of the critics against it doesn't really know how it all works. Plus some of these F2P games have been around almost as long as UO. I posted about it once before.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you noticed, the games that went free to play all suck and that's why they went free to play - it's because they HAD to - noone plays any of them anymore so they went free to play as a last ditch effort to stay alive - that's the main difference between them and us - they suck

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL!!! That made me so laugh. These same F2P games advertise on stratics here. They pay stratics to show them unless stratics is being nice and doing it for free which I "highly" doubt. Boy they must suck if they have money to advertise and UO doesnt.

F

Fayled Dhreams

LOL!!! That made me so laugh. These same F2P games advertise on stratics here. They pay stratics to show them unless stratics is being nice and doing it for free which I "highly" doubt. Boy they must suck if they have money to advertise and UO doesnt.
Speaking of LAUGHABLE ... *ahem*
"Stratics" is no longer a standalone PLAYER run fan site ...
it's a bought and paid for commercial "enterprise"
way way WAY down there in the footnotes
About - TGN is THEGAMENET - Creating communities 10,000 gamers at a time! (and 100,000 YouTube views a day)
*shrugs*
you acting like "the Ads" cost a lot of money ... :talktothehand:
going F2P ... :lol: won't exactly put UO in a "unique" position
Role Playing Games Online - Play Free Multiplayer RPG Adventure Games ... RPG wise
Techno wise?
Perfect World Entertainment - Free Fantasy MMORPG | Play Free Online Video Games
:scholar:OLD persons game be that raggedy UO ... old and perennially busted
Oh! but "we" be thriving on the picked over crumbs from Bioware thru Mythic
uhhuh ... you "think" (to use the term loosely) going F2P would help?
BioWare <<See from the drop down menu "games"?
UO is at the bottom ... ONE step from legacy
ONE step from being a trivia question: when did the oldest get retired to a resthome?
2011-12

Ya know .........

Off Camera: Has there been any thought to offering UO as a free to play game. Here’s a loaded question.
Cal: Has there been any thought given to it?
Off Camera: Sure
Cal: Sure, I give thought to tying my shoes in the middle of the night too, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to happen.
Off Camera: Well, there’s a second part to that question. If so, what if anything has been decided.
Mesanna: *giggles*
Off Camera: Ha!
Cal: Yeah, okay..umm…how do I word this.
Off Camera: Carefully
Cal: Yes
Mesanna: No (?) decision has been made
Cal: Umm…the plans that we make right now for the game are to keep the game viable, and to keep the game entertaining, and to keep players coming, and so whatever decisions we make for that, that is our priority.
Mesanna: Nice
Off Camera: Very good.
Cal: Thanks

No No Cal ... thank you ... :danceb:

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
if you noticed, the games that went free to play all suck and that's why they went free to play - it's because they HAD to - noone plays any of them anymore so they went free to play as a last ditch effort to stay alive - that's the main difference between them and us - they suck
My current favorite game, Combat Arms, began F2P and continues to be F2P. It doesn't suck.

F

Fayled Dhreams

My current favorite game, Combat Arms, began F2P and continues to be F2P. It doesn't suck.
*ahem*
and .... runescape? BEGAN as F2P and remains F2P and "doesn't suck" BETTER than any other game in the F2P class ...
seems to have even migrated to Facebook too!

I am beginning to think that "originally released as" is not much of a relevant factor as to
"what it ends up as"

Humph!

Maybe it is an un-noticed "Fickle-Factor" re: public TASTE for what is popular?

hmmmmm ... :danceb:

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Team Fortess 2 is now F2P on Steam (which is free). It doesn't suck :)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They must be baffled that Maple Story was more popular than UO, and that those facebooooo games are threatning even WoW's dominion...

one day realise it's all my fault and that they're putting all their time and development in a fad that will soon be clasified as extreemly childish and vain. And thats the tip of the iceberg... that phenomenon is a continuity of the "gold selling" market which is obvious to the most trained eye.

I guess a few of you have the brains to connect the dots here... mass hypnosis...

L

Longforge

Pure subscription games aren't endangered, there are just too many.

UO flourished because it was the first of its kind and the market was limited.

With the number of MMO's being cranked out and introduced to the market on an almost continual basis... I think the laws of business and economics is going to tell you something like... not every title is going to survive in a subscription based environment. However F2P models work for dead games that require minimal maintenance to keep going.

A game has to be a real rockstar title with sandbox style play.

Star Wars OR ftw woot!