• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Citizenship Poll

What is the main reason you choose citizenship in a specific city?

• RP reasons

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • City Buffs

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Events

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Starter City/Layout

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So to satisfy my own curiosity I feel like I must ask this question. I feel like I already kind of know how the results will end up, but it will be interesting to see if I am right. I limited it to one response because i'm just after the main reason, even though there are usually several reasons that we choose a city.

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have rp reasons, they would be born in the town or have strong ties to the town. I don't care about buffs because I'm not someone who cares about what 'stuff' I can get out of it, events...I can toss an event without having to tie myself to a city.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I love the RP of it all.... I enjoy the events the most. I think we can find a balance between RP and non-RP, but the events is a common ground of enjoyment for all types of players.

~ Sue.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
To me my characters are all their own individuals. I didn't choose "RP" though because I doubt anyone would classify me as a role player. Even though in my own imagination I very much am. Every character I play has a history that I have created for them. One may have been "born" or "grew up" in a specific city and that is why they consider themselves a citizen. Some consider themselves "above" being a citizen of a specific city. One or two do not claim any city at all.
But unless I created a character just for the role of transporting goods from one shard to another each of my characters has a story, a home, and a reason for being.
Should I have selected "RP reasons" maybe. Am I a role player? Probably not so much.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To me my characters are all their own individuals. I didn't choose "RP" though because I doubt anyone would classify me as a role player. Even though in my own imagination I very much am. Every character I play has a history that I have created for them. One may have been "born" or "grew up" in a specific city and that is why they consider themselves a citizen. Some consider themselves "above" being a citizen of a specific city. One or two do not claim any city at all.
But unless I created a character just for the role of transporting goods from one shard to another each of my characters has a story, a home, and a reason for being.
Should I have selected "RP reasons" maybe. Am I a role player? Probably not so much.
There are many ways to RP and many different degrees of RP. If you have developed a certain character for each of your alts, and keep true to that character then you are a role player. You may be more RPvP then strait RP and you defiantly show signs of being of the Doodish clan, but there is no set style or degree you must be in order to be called an RPer.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with Aedon -- sounds like you're a role-player to me :)

In my opinion role-playing is just playing a role that isn't yourself. It's a style that can encompass various different activities -- fighting, hunting, tavern sitting, orgies, etc. And different approaches are always valid. All that other stuff, like Rules of Engagement for RP/PVP and all that other fluffy has nothing to do with actual art of role-playing. It's just what comes about (or might even be necessary) when people need agreed upon standards to function as a like-minded RP community. That's why I always disagree when people announce the death of role-playing in UO. UO RP will never die as long as someone is interested in logging into UO and playing a role that isn't himself/herself. It's the organized RP communities that are in trouble for various reasons that I won't get into because they're unrelated to Thom's post and I've already said enough.

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So to satisfy my own curiosity I feel like I must ask this question. I feel like I already kind of know how the results will end up, but it will be interesting to see if I am right. I limited it to one response because i'm just after the main reason, even though there are usually several reasons that we choose a city.
I chose other. When the city system was first put in place I wanted all the banners and luckily have two accounts. The original five characters on my main account already had different 'home towns' so they might be considered either RP or starting cities. The remaining 3 cities were then assigned randomly to other characters who had sufficient magery or chiv to travel.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RP for me... I fell in love with Trinsic many years ago because of the beauty of the town.. and believe it or not the soundtrack.. I loved the music that plays in Trinsic.. so when city loyalty came out it was easy to pick.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trying to remember what Ultima that was from.. I think it was 7...

Good post Zuckuss!