• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Checking In

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I realize some may care, and most won't, but I just thought I'd let everyone know that I probably won't be around much for at least the next week.

I was going to be away a lot anyway for the next while, but then the other day when I got home I pushed the power on my computer, and all I got was a loud *crack* and a puff of smoke. My power supply malfunctioned and at least took out my motherboard with it. So I am using my sister's computer now with no access to my chat client, or to UO.

The good news is I've ordered all the components for the major computer upgrade I had planned anyway, the bad news is it was a year or two earlier than I had planned. Anyway, hopefully all the goodies will be arriving sometime this week and I will be back online, and tormenting everyone with my bug sometime in the next couple of weeks.

For those of you who have complained about how fast I move in game. Well, this computer is at least twice as powerful as my old one. My top speed won't be any faster, no one's is, but my rig should handle lots of models on screen better than it used to. I don't actually expect to move any faster than I did, but I should have even fewer problems with lag, especially at large events.

See you in game. Try not to miss me too much... :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Good luck buddy. :)
I'm going to need it. Invariably when I do an upgrade like this, something malfunctions and needs to be returned. Let's hope I've finally run out of bad luck on that score. I'm also hoping I'm not going to run into problems validating my oem version of Windows 7. Most of the components in my computer are going to be new... :(

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep having crashing problems on my main rig. My diagnosis brought me to faulty memory handling by my motherboard.... my nearly $400 motherboard. :rant2:

Needless to say, I just deal with it because 1) taking out the motherboard is taking out EVERY SINGLE component of my keyboard and I am lazy as all hell 2) sending away my motherboard would take 6 weeks and that would mean not being able to work for 6 weeks and 3) I am holding out for the next gen from Intel and then I just replace the whole freaking thing.

So yeah, Llewen I feel your pain!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I keep having crashing problems on my main rig. My diagnosis brought me to faulty memory handling by my motherboard.... my nearly $400 motherboard. :rant2:
I've come to the conclusion that more expensive components doesn't mean fewer problems when it comes to computers. It just means more expensive problems...

So yeah, Llewen I feel your pain!
I'd be lying though if I didn't admit I'm a little excited at the prospect of the upgrade. I'm going from two to four processors, but the thing I'm most looking forward to is having Windows on an ssd (solid state drive). I've heard that makes a huge difference in load times.

I've just started playing Dragon Age, and my poor old rig could just barely handle it, and often I would have to restart it to get it to run properly. It didn't seem to be a video card issue because my fps was always reasonable and it was my cpu that was running at 100% all the time. So I'm hoping that the four processors will make a big difference.

But I'll be on pins and needles until I get everything installed and working, and especially until I get my oem Windows 7 validated. I won't be a happy camper if I have to buy another copy of Windows 7...