• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Chat Channel for Catskills RP

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all role playing guilds on Catskills

Many role players on Catskills use a common chat channel called "RP Community". I recommend to set this channel as your default so you can chat across guilds. I did so on all my characters. Also, try to keep conversation out of this channel that is not relevant to the rest of the community, so people don't receive too much spam on their screen.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I SHALL RAID THINE CHANNEL AND PEEKAY THEE AND THINE MINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
She'd never kill me ... for more than two dollars, and even then she'd sick someone else on me.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Whoo hoo!!
Five bucks!!!

C'mere Scarst I have a cookie for you...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No loyalty geesh. At least get one the other people to do it so it doesn't look like you're the doing the hit!
Pish Posh I'd rather be honest about my hits ;)

And loyalty?? I thought you wanted to keep that a seekrit.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pish Posh I'd rather be honest about my hits ;)

And loyalty?? I thought you wanted to keep that a seekrit.
Ehh screw secrets, but yeah I'd probably do the same, it's more whoever finds out gets to know. =P

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all role playing guilds on Catskills

Many role players on Catskills use a common chat channel called "RP Community". I recommend to set this channel as your default so you can chat across guilds. I did so on all my characters. Also, try to keep conversation out of this channel that is not relevant to the rest of the community, so people don't receive too much spam on their screen.
This is how I understand the use of the channel to be. This is what was told to me by my GM. Iddle chit chat should not overpower your screen to the point that you have to either leave the channel, as some have already done, or scroll through your journal so much you're falling behind in your interactions.

Please use discretion when using this channel for the consideration of others.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The RP community channel is for just that purpose, the community. We use it to talk ooc most evenings. This chat is a great tool to keep those of us who RP connected and a better outlet for chit chat then saying in brackets (ooc I have to go grab a smoke,. BRB)

As I understand it alliance chat can be kept free of any annoying chit chat.

I am sorry if this is unacceptable to a few of you, but as for myself, and those who enjoy having a channel to talk to one another, I will continue to use it as I see fit.

V

Victoria Navarre

I am sorry if this is unacceptable to a few of you, but as for myself, and those who enjoy having a channel to talk to one another, I will continue to use it as I see fit.
This. Though I have slipped up and had some RP stuff land in the chat and other mistells. I just have to remember to be careful using (,),(/) and (\).

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles*
We all slip up form time to time. That is really the good part of the chat channel. It is a good way to let each other know things in a more RP friendly manner.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By my troth! Slayeth thy offendors and be done with it.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This chat is a great tool to keep those of us who RP connected and a better outlet for chit chat then saying in brackets (ooc I have to go grab a smoke,. BRB)
That's its intended use. However, when other players are running events, it would be nice if folks cut down the chatter so players can keep up with their journals. During events is when the chat is especially helpful for those random AFK's we have to take or to explain certain mishaps etc. I know for me its already tough to keep up with we have multiple people all talking at once about various subjects, so I can't imagine for our older players how daunting that must be.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When other players are running events, if it interferes with their being able to function, then they should by all means leave chat for the night. It is counterproductive to ask that we all change our way of using the chat.

I myself have had no problems with chat going on while I run an event. Of course, I do have a mind used to multi tasking.

And by the way my dear, I am an older player and resent any implication that those of mature years has less chance of keeping up in RP then a younger player. If the chat bothers anyone, simply leave it for the night. A simple step that avoids any and all issues.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's true. Probably because most guilds are not in the alliance. :)

*snickers*
Pirate

Yes, that is true. But the ones that are having issues with the chit chat are in the alliance. A simple solution for them is to opt our of the RP Community channel for the night.

Or, create a separate RP Only channel.

But that is really getting into a lot of channels.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my take.

Having people talking about non game related things in the chat channel is not only fine, but normal and expected. I've never seen a chat without some (or a lot) of off topic. If it gets to be too much, turning it off is an option.

Even so, having the chat channel has more advantages than disadvantages. One of the problems I've always had with the community is that I could never find you (and vice versa). In the last two weeks since I discovered the channel, that hasn't been a problem.

That and RP-trash talk is SO much more fun than PvP trash talk that you find in the general channel.

But if some people have problems with the channel, they could always have a designated person watching the channel (I'm always in that channel if I'm in-game) to keep the rest of the crew (guild, alliance, whatever) abreast of what's going on, and is it important.

In short:
I use it. Pike doesn't. That's ok, we still play together!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, sometimes the babble on the RP Community channel is so excessive that I'd have to scroll up my journal to find out what other people in game or in guild chat said to me. Most of the time though I'll miss what was said to me because it wanders off the screen with all the RP Community chat popping up. If I could filter out some persons, my problem would be solved.

(By the way, a lot of the talk in this channel has nothing to do with RP whatsoever anyway.)

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And by the way my dear, I am an older player and resent any implication that those of mature years has less chance of keeping up in RP then a younger player. If the chat bothers anyone, simply leave it for the night. A simple step that avoids any and all issues.
And by the way my dear, she was referring to me as I turn 62 this Saturday. Sorry I am not as good at RP'ing in UO as you, Aedon and cannot magically keep up with all chat logs in the journal.

If I have to leave the chat channel that was created to communicate RL events during RP situations, as you said things like "Brb, grankids need me." etc. then there is no point in staying in it at all. And less and less people will stay in it, and then people like Farsight won't find much use for the channel anymore either.

I don't understand why asking for "minimized chatter during events" is like some big stretch. This is a new tool that Thom and Pand chatted about one day on ICQ and ended up creating, not something that's been part of Cats forever that all the sudden we're asking for flexibility on. I mean if you can't even budge on that and work with others... I don't know. *throws hands up*

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happy Birthday first and foremost.

The chat channel is being used and enjoyed by those that play within the RP community. That is the intent of it and how it is being used.

By the way, keeping up in RP is not that hard a thing, all you have to do is focus on the things and people you are trying to keep up with and let your mind filter out the rest. It is something we have all learned to do over the years in RL and I am sure any of us, no matter the age can apply it to game chat.

You may have a few years on me Bianca, and not many. But to think you are unable to keep up with others due to a few extra years is folly.

And by the way, this new "tool" that you suppose was magically created has been around, It simply had a name applied to it. Stop believing that sop many new and exciting things are now coming into play on Catskills. We have been doing quite well for the past 7-8 years without any of this new innovation. And I saw noticed just as many people using it last night as the nights before.

Life, or game life goes on.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"The chat channel is being used and enjoyed by those that play within the RP community."

Am I not a player of that community? So can you make such blanket statements and speak for everyone in that community. The "tool", as you described it, is not a tool, its a chat channel that did not exist before its creation a few months ago.

And I am dyslexic, reading is difficult for me. My experience is mine, your experience is yours. You shouldn't just bucket me in with how you handle things. That's not even the point.

The point is, some members of that community are asking folks to ease up on the chatter a bit. Sheesh... just say "NO, not willing to work with you." and be done with it. No need to circumvent. If you're going to be a butt, be one, period.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(This is a new tool that Thom and Pand )

As you can clearly see, it was you who referred to RP Community chat as a tool. I was simply quoting you. And it needed little creation. In fact, when all had logged out of it one time, I recreated the channel. Gee, does that make me a great inventor? A regular Thomas Aedon Edison I am.

And yes, all members of the community are and should feel free to use it. Just remember that when you get on that chat and seek to dictate what can and cannot be said by other members of the community you are seeking to infringe on their rights of enjoyment. The same sort of thing you complain they are doing to you.

As far as tomming right out and telling you no, that I will not curtail my chat, I did that quite well in chat the other night.

I will see you in game, and in chat if you so choose to be there.

Zurhet Pebblethief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't some magic created by Thom and Pandora, the day they announced the changes to the chat system people started an RP channel. It doesn't belong to anyone, no one has moderation privileges etc.

There are already two channels regularly labled RP find one that suits your playstyle and use it or start your own. This isn't rocket science folks its a matter of individual choice take responsibility for your own time not others.