• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Character Plan

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really want to try a Treasure Hunting build. However, I don't want to have a total of 5 characters in UO. Four is what I am shooting for. I won't list my pure Paladin as he can stay put but here is what I have with the last three:

Almidar: Mage
Meditation 100
Evaluating Intelligence 92.9
Magery 89.4
Tailoring 78.5
Inscription 77.6

Jareth: Necromancer/Fencer
Necromancy 87.4
Spirit Speak 86.7
Meditation 83.9
Fencing 75.8
Anatomy 64.8
Tactics 59
Parrying 56 (down, gonna kill it)
Magery 53.1

Lothgar: Crafter
Mining 91.8
Blacksmithy 88.3
Tinkering 85.8
Magery 72.6
Lumberjacking 64.8
Carpentry 49.8
Arms Lore 33.9

Soulstone
Musicianship 87.2
Peacemaking 85.3
Provocation 85.1
Chivalry 55.6

Now, here is the thing. I thought about combining my Mage and Necromancer together on Almidar and keeping the Fencing melee skills on Jareth and adding Cartography and Lockpicking. However, I have read that when you do treasure hunting it seems that a melee character would not go well and the escapability of a Bard/Mage would do better.

I also really enjoy my Necromancer/Fencer. So that leaves my Mage. I can move Tailoring and Inscrption somewhere but here are my questions overall:

1. By moving Tailoring and Inscrption and giving Almidar Cartography and Lockpicking that leaves me with only room for two skills from my Soulstones: Musicianship and BLANK. What would be better? Provocation or Peacemaking?

2. Now we have to have a spot for Tailoring and Inscription. Because I am stubborn and do not want to stone them or keep them on another character, I am thinking of dropping two of the following below from Lothgar. Name two skills below which are just not that useful:

Mining
Blacksmithy
Tinkering
Lumberjacking
Carpentry
Arms Lore
Tailoring
Inscrption

3. Am I wrong to think that I melee treasure hunter can't defend himself? If so, what should he dump Parrying for? Hiding?

Thanks!

A

Arnie QuickPalm

bard for the win provo/peace the mobs when they arive and then use magery or a weapon skill to get rid of them

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to solo high end maps there are really only 2 templates that work.
The Tamer TH or the Bard TH, or a combination of both.
Either can solo level 6 maps with a little practice.

360 in tame vet lore ( or as high as you can get)
100 magery
100 for lp and cart switched out as needed
100 for peace
100 for music

This is my fav template...area peace gets you and your pet out of trouble. A suit with built in MR is handy with this but not necessary.
You don't cast too much.

or

360 music provo discord
100 cart or lp
115 magery
120 med
provo and discor the guardians as they spawn

as more spawn pops disco and drop evs

Different strokes for different folks...but these are two excellent templates if you like to solo high end maps.