• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Change to parry gains?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a new character and am trying to work up parry.

Character is elf, 0 skill in swords, 51.4 parry, 0 Bushido.

I have 9 sheep on me.

My past experience tells me gains will come quickest with a 1 handed weapon I'm not proficient with.

It isn't working. I tried it with a 2 handed wep I'm not proficient with, not working. I have tried with a non-proficient wep and sheild. Not working. I tried it just shield and wrestle, not working.

Anyone else having problems with this recently?

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You gain parry with a weapon equipped only if you have bushido, otherwise you need a shield. I think

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fastest way to gain parry is to have multiple opponents hitting you.
Not sure about the gain mechanism for parry, but I would expect that if parry is calculated after the hit, then you have to be getting hit to gain. (So if your weapon proficiency is low you'd get hit more and so more chances to parry). May be similar to weapon skill where you get lower gains if your opponent is too far outside your skill level.
I train parry in shame using mud pies. They dont hit too hard or cast spells, but if you get 3 or 4 of em on you gains come pretty quickly.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a new character and am trying to work up parry.

Character is elf, 0 skill in swords, 51.4 parry, 0 Bushido.

I have 9 sheep on me.

My past experience tells me gains will come quickest with a 1 handed weapon I'm not proficient with.

It isn't working. I tried it with a 2 handed wep I'm not proficient with, not working. I have tried with a non-proficient wep and sheild. Not working. I tried it just shield and wrestle, not working.

Anyone else having problems with this recently?
For swords I use a knarled staff and cheap buckler and all of the sheep in the Yew sheep pen. Have a lot of staffs and bucklers so you can switch when they wear out without having to stop training. I try to have my resists low because it seems to help gains, just make sure you have a way to heal. I also make sure my total skill level is as low as possible. As you get the sheep to declare on you, make sure you tab out of war mode before they are close to you, other wise all you gain in is mutten. You can tell how well it is working by the amount of white flashes on the buckler, the more the better. This will take you to 120 faster than a Golem. :devil:

Last edited:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As strange as it sounds, I had to unequip a weapon so that all I had was a shield equipped. I had 50 wrestling at the time.

Typically - having the sword equipped means you get hit more often therefore increasing the chance to gain. That was not the case, I would not gain at all with a weapon equipped. I gained fairly quickly once I dropped the weapon.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lynk,

This happened to me once. I had the exact same situation as you except instead of having 50 wrestling at the time I had 120 archery. I had zero fencing and had a fencing weapon equipped. I received no gains after like 50 until I soulstoned off archery. I presume having wrestling messed you up in the same way archery messed me up. I didn't plan on using archery and parry together of course I just happened to be working it on a char who had archery.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't try soulstoning off wrestle, but I guess a good rule of thumb would be to soulstone off any weapon skill before working parry.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess you don't have a char that can disarm the women in the pits? 30 of them on you raises it fast.

Dorinda

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LYNK,

ARE YOU HAVING SOME KIND OF PROBLEM RAISING PARRY??? ISN'T THAT STRANGE... I RECALL A LITTLE COVERSATION WE HAD ABOUT GAINING PARRY A WEEK OR SO AGO..