• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Change is hard (RPer's read too)...

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For those of you who know me, you know I try and put a lot of thought and effort into keeping Ultima enjoyable and engaging for people who look for more than just PVP or PVM.

You also know I love my box of wine, but that's another story....

I have tested out various ideas to see which grasped the most attention, which provided the most player enjoyment and what was most logistically feasible.

This is where UO has evolved, for me: events - both RP and non-RP.

So, here I am again.. returned to a group of people and an idea that I find very hard to escape from. Once again, pouring over ideas to not only increase our enjoyment of the game - but also to add extra engagement and marketing for the game.

As it relates to events, I want to take some prizes "out of game" and I need to know what interest people would have in the ability to win tangible objects from in-game events?

Before someone acts up ;) a tangible prize could be anything from a game time code, soverigns (when they appear), gift card, etc.

Engagement is an entirely different story and for that I need our die hard UO players both RP and non-RP to reach out to me.

If this is a game you're passionate about, if it's impacted you, or if it's the RP that drives you.... Reach out.

I love to do anything for the game and it's continued potential - but I need to see that there are people out there, cross shard and here at home, with an interest and desire for that as well.

Alira Drakrul

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'm personally a straight in-character sort of gal with my rp chars. The prizes honestly don't determine if I attend or participate in an event... only if my character would and RL allowed me the time.

If you want to give out tangible prizes, perhaps make the contest something not physically in-game? A writing contest or something.

Just my two cents.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am the same in UO. Aedon is strictly an RP character. I do enjoy events such as Bards Nights, Watching Sparring patches, and Archery competitions. I try to support the events held by all groups, even those Aedon may be on the outs with. My health gets in the way far more than it used to, and I tend to tire faster, or simply lose my way in a conversation which many times leaves people thinking I am ignoring them or speaking over them.

I do love Alira's mention of a writing contest. Many years back I hosted a competition to write a story killing their character off in the most undignified fashion possible. Some of the entries were hysterical, all were well thought out. Prizes awarded in the game never appeal to me, and I am more than likely going to donate anything I win back to the group holding the event. For me it has always been fun that is the greatest prize in Ultima Online.

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm personally a straight in-character sort of gal with my rp chars. The prizes honestly don't determine if I attend or participate in an event... only if my character would and RL allowed me the time.

If you want to give out tangible prizes, perhaps make the contest something not physically in-game? A writing contest or something.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the response. I am just playing around with many different ideas and way to raise the bar on engagement in the game.

I know for the RP crew, it's really about being able to be immersed into the story and game play - and for that 'tangible' rewards hold little value.

I tried to bring that to internet radio and that was not a huge failure, I think it showed excellent success potential - but then real life hit me rather hard and without the direction .. I think the volunteers fell to the side which ultimately ended the lifespan of ElvenSongRadio.

I wish our Catskills family would be more verbal, heck I even posted it to "off topic" hoping for more feedback from the entire community - since cross sharding for events is not uncommon. However, responses have been slow - which makes me love you even more :D

I also have a thing for pushing the threshold of what is already available for people - so I have SEVERAL ideas that I would love to test run, but some of those will require additional hands on deck to make happen.

In the end, my goal is to create additional, extended, engaging entertainment for Ultima Online - our time in game - and utilize such as an additional marketing tool to help create a big more buzz about the game.

You can find better graphics now, sure... but you cannot find a better and deeper bond of friendships in a game anywhere.

Thank you again for sharing!

Baron Arkon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the shiny toys, but in all honesty - I'm he same road ... I roleplay, and PvM. I'm in it for the immersion and community, the "stuff" to me is just "stuff"
I have lost so much "stuff" over the years and gained much more "stuff" that it doesn't really effect me. Now if I lost my worn equipment or cannon ammo, then I'd freak out.

I join events for the fun, and I do my best in trying to stay alive (and fail miserably). But its all fun!