• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

CC seems to be crashing my system.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not done a full exploratory yet. Whole system will crash and reboot and I am returned to a restarted system at the user log in screen. This seems to be occurring with greater frequency as time passes, so it is quite possible there is an infection of some kind. (yes, I have kids, but they can't admin. *shrugs*)

OS is Windows XP pro set to auto update. AVG free runs scans every night and updates every day. Super AntiSpyware was last updated and run 9/22. On boot after a failure and login I get a system problem report option. It always points me back to a specific file in the temp folder under docs/user/local settings/temp/ XXXXX (xxxx being the files in question). I have cleared the temp folder three times now.

This problem originated at first only on an idle login screen for the game. Over the last two days it has begun to occur with me logged in to the CC. Have not had it happen in EC but I have not been using it recently.

I had wanted to upgrade this comp to windows 7, but it now appears that I may need to do a clean install of XP pro before I get that far.
Mainly, I wanted to know if anyone else has reported, or been having, a similar issue.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the patch last night I took advantage of an opportunity to do a full file check on my CC client. Have a bit of time to play today and will report back.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The weekend passed without event, which is good. In fact I would have forgotten about the issue except that it cropped up again this afternoon. I left the comp unattended after logging out, but the login screen still up. Came back to a restarted system that, on login, wanted to report a crash.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you using UOA with the CC?
That temp file may be UOA instead of UO. You can hex edit the file and look through the contents and check.

Maybe your AV program is trying to scan this file. See if the same issue occurs if you tell it to ignore this file/folder.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes to UOA. I will check on these suggestions. Truth is, the problem seems to have corrected itself and I could not tell you if it was the XP patch a week and a half ago or some other update since that patch.