• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

CC 1200x1080 ?

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Grimm,

Am not sure if this ahs been asked before, but ...

For years the max Game Play Window Size in UO is 800x600
Now in this time our screens got bigger and bigger making this Game Play Window Size seem smaller and smaller.

I have no clue what would be involved to making this bigger, I mean you not need to change resolution orso, but just enlarging the view screen.

Do you think 1200x1080 would be possible ?

Regards,

Nature

Reactions: eve

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove limit check please, so anyone can find his affordable resolution. There is option in Uo.cfg
Code:
GamePlayWindowSize=800x600

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove limit check please, so anyone can find his affordable resolution. There is option in Uo.cfg
Code:
GamePlayWindowSize=800x600
Hey Traveler, keep in mind this area is really more for art related discussions!

*EDIT* - Feel free to PM Bleak on this topic!

Cheers,
Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear Grimm,

Am not sure if this ahs been asked before, but ...

For years the max Game Play Window Size in UO is 800x600
Now in this time our screens got bigger and bigger making this Game Play Window Size seem smaller and smaller.

I have no clue what would be involved to making this bigger, I mean you not need to change resolution orso, but just enlarging the view screen.

Do you think 1200x1080 would be possible ?

Regards,

Nature
I'm pretty sure it's technically possible, but there are some gameplay concerns that would arise out of being able to allow for a larger field of view.

-Grimm

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure it's technically possible, but there are some gameplay concerns that would arise out of being able to allow for a larger field of view.

-Grimm
Do you mean by seeing more of the playfield ?
Because it seems for EC this is not a problem, why should it be in CC ?

Nature

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Do you mean by seeing more of the playfield ?
Because it seems for EC this is not a problem, why should it be in CC ?

Nature
In the EC you cannot see players or monsters any farther than in the CC or at least I have never been able to

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*laughs* fess up Storm! In EC we have x-ray vision! *winks*

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the EC you cannot see players or monsters any farther than in the CC or at least I have never been able to
Ok, am confused ...

My screen CC 800x600:

CC.JPG

My screen EC stretched to ????x???? but to fit screen better and graphs about same scale as CC above:

ECCC.JPG

My screen EC zoomed out ( or is this illegal?):

EC.JPG

I mean in both EC cases I can see more then in CC no ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, but monsters don't appear on screen at the outer limits. They have to be within a certain number of tiles to be visible.
The 800 x 600 resolution when first introduced covered pretty much the entire monitor screen. On newer monitors it occupies a tiny corner and everything in it is so small it's hard to see what's happening.
CC players don't necessarily want to see a larger area, they just want to see the same area big enough to play they way they used to.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not asking to see monsters earlier, I currently work with 22" and 27" monitors.
I am not even asking for 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 because I assume not all have the sizes I have.
Was thinking 1200x1080, bacause this would fit the average player.

In my simple mind (I have little to no knowledge about the works behind this), because I can get any size screen I wish in EC (I can have my Game Play Window fill my entire 27" screen even), just by stretching the window with my mouse.
So in my simple thinking, larger view therefore seems no problem in EC, so I just cannot see why it would hurt the CC player.

I am not even asking for the stretch to fit whatever you wish option as EC has, just a bit more view, cause atm it seems more and more I am looking at my Game Play Window like I see a stamp on a letter (well not yet so extreme, but you catch my drift no?).

Plus a bigger Game Play Window makes you more involved with the game, atleast this is how I experience EC and other full screen games I play.

Trust me, if I could stand the graphs in EC I would have moved on and never looked back and not even bring this up here.
As I just loathe how my character looks and moves, and a few other thingies, I just cannot play EC, I just use it for a few options every now and then.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, but monsters don't appear on screen at the outer limits. They have to be within a certain number of tiles to be visible.
The 800 x 600 resolution when first introduced covered pretty much the entire monitor screen. On newer monitors it occupies a tiny corner and everything in it is so small it's hard to see what's happening.
CC players don't necessarily want to see a larger area, they just want to see the same area big enough to play they way they used to.
Thanks for understanding Petra.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the illegal 3rd party programs apparently has a way to do this. I don't know how well it does it, I will entertain no such program on my hard drive, but it was mentioned to Mesanna some time ago and she was going to bring it to the attention of the engineers. I have no idea whether anyone ever got back to her on it.
Probably it's still at the bottom of a 'to do when pressure eases up a bit' list :(

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Exactly! And I would have no idea what technical hurdles our engineers would have to overcome to get that implemented.

-Grimm

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the illegal 3rd party programs apparently has a way to do this. I don't know how well it does it, I will entertain no such program on my hard drive, but it was mentioned to Mesanna some time ago and she was going to bring it to the attention of the engineers. I have no idea whether anyone ever got back to her on it.
Probably it's still at the bottom of a 'to do when pressure eases up a bit' list :(
Grimm,

Any feedback on this then, it kinda suggests it can be done and Mesanna was aware if this.

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm,

Any feedback on this then, it kinda suggests it can be done and Mesanna was aware if this.
Well, this isn't really an art related topic anymore, but if it's been brought to Mesannas attention, then there's nothing really I can add to the mix! I'm sure it's on one of our engineers list of to-dos, or at least, a "Look Into" list.

Cheers!
JP

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, this isn't really an art related topic anymore, but if it's been brought to Mesannas attention, then there's nothing really I can add to the mix! I'm sure it's on one of our engineers list of to-dos, or at least, a "Look Into" list.

Cheers!
JP
Ok, I did not know of this till now ...

Thanks for your time Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not to speak for grimm but I believe art and or rendering art would be fine? when we start to get into the mechanics of how the ui works pertaining to resolution for the game screen is really not what this forum was for! (talking the code stuff)

I will let this thread run a little longer so that Grimm can respond then most likely will put a lock on it to get us more on the art type questions(not trying to make anyone mad but we have gotten a little off course)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to speak for grimm but I believe art and or rendering art would be fine? when we start to get into the mechanics of how the ui works pertaining to resolution for the game screen is really not what this forum was for! (talking the code stuff)

I will let this thread run a little longer so that Grimm can respond then most likely will put a lock on it to get us more on the art type questions(not trying to make anyone mad but we have gotten a little off course)
Agreed totally!

@ Traveler - Both! Anything from an Aesthetic point of view. If you're not sure, you can always just post it and I'll let you know! ;-)

-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ok instead of locking this I will be moving it to The tech forum and leaving a redirect

Bob the Merchant

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I respectfully disagree. While there is a *fade away* of mobiles with zoom, that threshold is not reached until the EC has surpassed the CC perspective. (IMO of course)

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respectfully disagree. While there is a *fade away* of mobiles with zoom, that threshold is not reached until the EC has surpassed the CC perspective. (IMO of course)
I'll confirm this, you can most definitely see further on the EC than in the CC...but this is mostly because on the CC it loads stuff significantly further out than you can actually see (essentially the range offscreen at which their bar remains highlighted is how far off they can be...at that distance they would still be visible in the EC).

The "cheat" program Petra was talking about above achieved the same effect, the same effect was also able to be done wayyyy way back with a simple modification to the client not requiring an external program but I won't go into details on how to do it. The CC can already do resolutions higher than 800x600 there's just no option in the menus to set it that high and it doesnt cache far enough away when you do (things pop at the edge) but both should be a simple fix thats loooong overdue

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man I hope this is done... It kind of seems weird using a 23" flat monitor with only 1/3 of your screen being used and the other 3/4 being BLACK lol.

Reactions: eve

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I am not wrong, both the CC and EC has a max update distance. So there shouldn't be any gameplay/balance issues with large rez on the CC being able to see monsters from further away.

Of course, if update range is larger, more objects will come on screen as you move and more network data need to be sent and be handled by the client. Will slow down the response for low end PCs and slower connections. But players can always adjust the update range to something that they system can handle.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please, please..... this is a simple fix to a problem that effects so many CC users (which is still the majority)..... give us the option.