• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Catskills RP Forums?

Tebryn Denoir

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi Guys, I'm moving over to Catskills from Atlantic. I'm an old time RPer from there and I'm looking for something a little new. I've been away from UO for a few years but as always I get the urge (usually when fall hits) to come play again. One of my old friends from ARPC told me they were playing on Catskills now so naturally I was intrigued and since my RP with my mains on ARPC is pretty much dead I'm looking at where to start anew.

I posted a few days ago as Drayden on my old account. I decided that I'd rather have a new dark elf persona to play and since I played Dray for 5+ years....I figured I'd retire him. With that said, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a central RP forum for Catskills? I like writing and I have some back story I'd like to share with the RP community about Tebryn.

2. What's the housing situation like?

3. How active has the community been? Did your tavern night rotation idea ever take off?

I really like everything I've read so far and it seems that Cats has a good established RP community. I'm not sure how many ARPCers are currently using this board but if you remember me or want to chat then give me a holler. Or if you just want to get in touch with me give me a shout on ICQ @ 206816883

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Tebryn!

I don't believe there is a central RP forum for Catskills, but I could be wrong about that. I do know some guilds have their own forums though. You probably could simply post any stories here in the Catskills forum using the (RP) prefix if you wanted to.

The housing situation seems pretty decent. A fair few open spaces for larger houses scattered all over.

The community is fairly active. Both planned events and more spontaneous RP can be found if you look around. The tavern night rotation hasn't commenced yet, but it is being worked on. :)

That's about the best I can answer, so if anyone else wants to chime in with better and more informed answers, please do. :p

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old RP forums closed down when most of us traveled on to other worlds. I enjoyed your story, and hope you post more here.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello again Drayden... or do you prefer Tebryn?

To answer some of your questions; There are several areas mainly hosted by the various guilds that constitute RP forums. However, posting right here is just fine as well and you will probably get the most readers here (anyone feel free to correct me).

The housing situation is as such that you would be able to find yourself a keep if you look hard enough, or you will be able to find a small size rather easily in any specific location of which you seek.

There are a few active guilds whom participate in RP. There are monthly events, both player ran and EM ran which draws a turn out. There is both random and pre-planned RP.

There are a few RP towns; West Umbra, Olympus, The Glade, Vesper Heights, Spiritwood all player run, as well as the chance of finding folks in the towns of Trinsic, Vesper, Britain and Skara. There may be others so please chime in if I have missed any. Ohh! Red Skull Bay of course. Yes. We have our very own pirates.

The activity comes and goes but it seems to have been increasing as of late and more activity occurs with the more people participating and setting up events.

I am happy that you have joined Catskills! Please do let any of us know if you need anything.

-Zuckuss

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm perhaps you can help me with my plot to over throw Blackthorn.

Also Aegis stands just south of the Yew, Trammel moongate.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The last forums that were once used often still stand, kind of. Nobody has posted in ages but they are still up.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well... I have asked for Catskills to have its own sub-forum here for Role Playing, so I am hoping to see that be added soon enough! :)

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be a good time for this for sure Pandy. It would help if posted stories were not always getting lost in the daily scroll.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be a good time for this for sure Pandy. It would help if posted stories were not always getting lost in the daily scroll.
I agree. I reached out to @Petra Fyde to see if this can be added to Catskills. Chesapeake does have a nice separate RP forum, so it would not be setting a precedent; there already is one. :)

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the forum being there, but I would like to see it only contain stories or RP discussion. Events, taverns, and other things are open to the whole shard and a great way to introduce RP to people that aren't normally interested. Putting it into a separate forum titled for RP would decrease the chances of those people seeing the information and make us lose a chance at adding another person to the community.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. I am worried about any potential division an additional sub-forum will make. We will see how it goes.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be better to leave any event announcements or even just general RP discussions in the usual Cats forums, and only post stories in the RP sub-forum, so people can find them. Putting event announcements in the sub-forum will likely just make people think that there is nothing going on. They aren't necessarily going to think to look in there for it.

That's just me though.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was pondering this sort of situation the other day. I was wondering if the shard forums were becoming too fragmented.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was pondering this sort of situation the other day. I was wondering if the shard forums were becoming too fragmented.
Well, I think it's fine to have the RP stories separated, as to allow both old and new RPers, and even those merely curious, to browse through without having to dig through pages of discussions and announcements. Anything else I personally feel is fine in the general forum.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be better to leave any event announcements or even just general RP discussions in the usual Cats forums, and only post stories in the RP sub-forum, so people can find them. Putting event announcements in the sub-forum will likely just make people think that there is nothing going on. They aren't necessarily going to think to look in there for it.

That's just me though.
Well everything current, I have left on the main page. Everything past I moved over there as well as all recent stories. Flawed logic? Maybe, but it was the logic that came to mind when an additional forum appeared at the top of the screen.

We can make adjustments as needed.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and I did make a few adjustments. Tell me what you guys think.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not a regular role player.... But I do love following along and interacting occasionally... But I agree completely Kelmo, I don't begrudge anyone having their little piece of heaven but I doubt now I will ever access this material.
It is like shopping in Luna..if you have everything all organized and subdivided in various bags and containers...I just close your backpack and move on....if it is too hard to find what I want, I won't bother. I think it might be the same with this.....

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not a regular role player.... But I do love following along and interacting occasionally... But I agree completely Kelmo, I don't begrudge anyone having their little piece of heaven but I doubt now I will ever access this material.
It is like shopping in Luna..if you have everything all organized and subdivided in various bags and containers...I just close your backpack and move on....if it is too hard to find what I want, I won't bother. I think it might be the same with this.....
That's what we are trying to avoid by keeping only stories in the sub forum. They aren't necessary to interact just a nice little bonus for people that like to read them.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this new forum was meant to house anything other than "in character" stories. The events and stuff should still stay here in my opinion for the reasons listed. I just find it hard sometimes to find some stories posted previously (especially if they don't have the RP tag). Works well for Chessy.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this new forum was meant to house anything other than "in character" stories. The events and stuff should still stay here in my opinion for the reasons listed. I just find it hard sometimes to find some stories posted previously (especially if they don't have the RP tag). Works well for Chessy.

Barefoot Scribe

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings citizens of Catskills!
I am an emmissary of the Senior Citizens of Britannia (SCB) guild. We are a coalition guild of Kinship (KIN), Yggdrasil (YGG), and House of Rosemar members who found themselves as often the sole survivors of these ancient institutes and wished to form a strong but small community. We have just begun to re-establish our presence here after nearly seven years away with the placing of four buildings in the area of the old player community of KINSHIP (mainland Skara in Fel). Since there were a surprising number of homes there, we managed a keep and a waterfront plot SE of the cotton fields and a keep and waterfront abbey in North Kinship (due west of the crossroads). The Kinship Abbey, although still only partially furnished is open to the public and accessible easily to weary sailors and fishing boats looking for a spot to drop anchor and rest. We will check this forum for announcements of RP and community events.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am an emmissary of the Senior Citizens of Britannia (SCB) guild. We are a coalition guild of Kinship (KIN), Yggdrasil (YGG), and House of Rosemar members who found themselves as often the sole survivors of these ancient institutes and wished to form a strong but small community. We have just begun to re-establish our presence here after nearly seven years away with the placing of four buildings in the area of the old player community of KINSHIP (mainland Skara in Fel). Since there were a surprising number of homes there, we managed a keep and a waterfront plot SE of the cotton fields and a keep and waterfront abbey in North Kinship (due west of the crossroads). The Kinship Abbey, although still only partially furnished is open to the public and accessible easily to weary sailors and fishing boats looking for a spot to drop anchor and rest. We will check this forum for announcements of RP and community events.
Nice to hear from you. I remember Kinship for sure, and I have particularly fond memories of House of Rosmar, who were really important to my development as a role-player all those years ago. Welcome (back) and glad to have you around. If you guys need anything, feel free to contact me at ICQ #6082388.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to see you seniors back.