• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Casual gamer, I hate thee.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/galleries/seven-signs-the-hardcore-gamer-doesnt-matter-anymore/?icid=aimDBDL3_link3-a

Personally, while I know that the burst of casual gaming has propelled the gaming market into mainstream acceptance, bigger budgets and greater sales, I can't help but feel like the overall direction has been downhill.

It's kinda intuitive, in my opinion. Take a game designed with someone who might sit down to play for fifteen minutes two or three times a week, and a game designed for someone who was going to put two hours into it a day for three months. Which one do you expect is going to have more depth and quality put into detail and storyline? (Or any quality you like and look for in a game other than nice graphics and streamlined interface, really.)

I think the bummer is that, like movies, games are created in a relatively small, finite number per year. And especially when you take genres into consideration, as most gamers tend to stick to one or two genres of games, the list gets even shorter of "your kind of game" and how many of them are created a year.

When the overall development and design shift has almost entirely converted over to capturing the mainstream/casual gamer with every single game title, it leaves a lot of us out in the cold.

What do you guys think?