• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Castles and Keeps in Malas?

Castle and Keeps in Malas?

• Yes

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • Keeps only

Votes: 11 13.1%

• Total voters

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had to really think about this a bit before I voted so that I was neither giving a knee-jerk reaction, nor a "me me me" reaction. Factors I thought about:

They have stated they will be opening up previously-restricted areas of Malas for placing.

They sound fairly sure about opening up new housing in SA.

Average shard population. Even on Atlantic, with the above factors counted, and the dropping of old OSI and fail-to-decay houses, there should be enough housing space by next year.

Footprint/area taken for Keep and for Castle.

In the end I voted Keeps, only. I feel the footprint of a castle has way too much wasted space and is far too large to really work for Malas, however the Keep is significantly smaller than a Castle.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess it would make malas housing worht more than nothing again........ as peeps would be buying up plots to make the keep spaces....so i'd def go for ''keeps in malas'' yes..i think we need to leave castles out of the picture in malas ....as they are the big dons!! we dont want to spoil the castle appeal and keeps are ten a penny.....LOL

Lets face it keeps and castles are the only thing that as not been duped in the game and the most satisfying item to own ingame.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I wish large houses gone from UO. Castles and keeps really destroy playertowns.
I wish them gone from Felucca too. We need more stackable items, seed, jewelry, armor and weapon boxes instead.
If a castle was used of large guilds, it had been ok but most are private houses.
So my vote is a big NO

S

Stucky

Please no. If the initial settlers couldn't place them then it isn't fair.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heck, Stucky, that is like saying customizables should not be allowed in Fel/Tram. The initial settlers couldn't place them ... AND they had to lose any grandfathered houses if they did want them!

Come on now, Malas is 5 years old now, most of the initial placers/houses are long long gone ... I have personally placed and either dropped or lost 6 houses in Malas since AoS.

I could understand if you had just said no, I don't like how they look, or no, they take up too much space ... but your reason is ... shakey at best, imho.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.

It should be 1 castle per large guild with X number of players or 1 castle per player town that meets requirements A, B and C.

:scholar:

edit: I just realized I'm answering a different question. I would be for this as long as they have a large guild or if it serves as a center for a player town.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I wish large houses gone from UO. Castles and keeps really destroy playertowns.
I wish them gone from Felucca too. We need more stackable items, seed, jewelry, armor and weapon boxes instead.
If a castle was used of large guilds, it had been ok but most are private houses.
So my vote is a big NO
edit: I just realized I'm answering a different question. I would be for this as long as they have a large guild or if it serves as a center for a player town.
Have to disagree. I votes yes for both. Who is anyone to say what someone else cannot have in a game they pay for?

Castles and keeps do not destroy playertowns im not sure where that is coming from. Keeps are well used in our playertown for Paladins which makes sense. A castle would be a great addition for if your town had a king or something....so not sure how it destroys them.

Also Castles are ment as an acheivement of good deeds and all that good stuff back in the day.

Castles and Keeps are okay because everyone has a right to own one and not every house has to be "Public useable" I could decorate an entire castle every single little tile if I had one and It would be a very good use of space.
If you could lock down items in courtyard even better hehe.

To some people a castle is a waste of space. If someone gave you one id bet you wouldnt take it down for an 18x18 :)

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to disagree. I votes yes for both. Who is anyone to say what someone else cannot have in a game they pay for?

Castles and keeps do not destroy playertowns im not sure where that is coming from. Keeps are well used in our playertown for Paladins which makes sense. A castle would be a great addition for if your town had a king or something....so not sure how it destroys them.

Also Castles are ment as an acheivement of good deeds and all that good stuff back in the day.

Castles and Keeps are okay because everyone has a right to own one and not every house has to be "Public useable" I could decorate an entire castle every single little tile if I had one and It would be a very good use of space.
If you could lock down items in courtyard even better hehe.

To some people a castle is a waste of space. If someone gave you one id bet you wouldnt take it down for an 18x18 :)
A couple of points:

-Everyone has an equal opportunity to create a large guild, join a large guild, build a player town or join a player town. I'm not trying to restrict it to anyone.

-I'm not saying castles single-handedly destroyed player towns. But player towns should have something that is unique. Unique structures and other oddities. It doesn't have to be a castle. I only said castle, because I do think they are a waste of space. It fit with this thread and my idea at the same time, so I said castle.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I dont want to get off topic to much but when you say they should have something "unique" do you mean Gm blessings?

L

Lord Kynd

Castles and Keeps in Malas?
no
there are already castles in mala's. it has been mentioned many many times by EA that keeps and castles will not be allowed in malas.

the one's that are there now came from a special drawing ( do we need to bring this up again ??? )

if anything , they should remove towers from malas and only allow custom or old school house types.

there is tons of availiable houseing and spot's, even on atlantic. there really is not a need to give us more housing land. ( and housing is fairly reasonable pricing also)

SA is not going to bring in millions of subscribers either.. my bet is it will flop as badly as KR did to be honest.. looking on the run of 'other' clients so far ... 3d (failure )... KR (failure)..

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. should stop making castle and keeps and make towers with the same storage at a keep or castle.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Castles and keeps do not destroy playertowns im not sure where that is coming from.
I will show you, I have 2 maps of Safe Haven Siege Perilous, one from year 2002 and one from year 2008. If the castles and keeps had been used for large and medium guilds HQ, it had been all good but most of them are ghost houses, the owner do not play but he do pay to keep his house if he some day will be back.

First Safe Haven Year 2002, a living town with alot of players.

Now the same town, 6 years later and with alot of castles and keeps and very few active players.

I wish all the small houses back, I wish the town back to life.

[/quote]To some people a castle is a waste of space. If someone gave you one id bet you wouldnt take it down for an 18x18 :) [/QUOTE]

I had a castle, I sold it again. Yes I do have 2 keeps, but I really only need one as guildhouse and I would do fine with a 18x18 if more would stack and we had more boxes like bod books.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No. should stop making castle and keeps and make towers with the same storage at a keep or castle.
I could accept that, towers are nice and do not take up as much room as keeps and castles.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Freja, there probably isn't a community or shard that doesn't wish for those days to return, but I'm not sure the placing of castles and keeps has anything to do with the declining population :sad4:

W

Warrior of Time

I say let them in. The size alone will determin the number How many have towers there now.
True they take a lot of space. Where will you find that much is controlled by the shape and location. take a shot of Tramel with that many spots for castles. They had to pemit the larger houses to be placed first in order to see them there at all. If places are that large you better find it first.

Right now on GL when a tower falls you see smaller houses pop up fast. You never see another tower go bck up. Go to a few IDOCs in any place but Felucca. See what goes in.
Be lucky to see an 18 X 18 placed. You must first find the room befor you can place one.
Most ever even look for a castle spot. They ar happy to just place an 18 X 18.

I say let them in just don't say they can be placed. That will restrict them. Not may will look for castle size locatins.

A size added just under Keep size will excite people enough to place them rather than a castle. Not a custom one. A gargoyal style one possably a new 20 X 20. who would try and place a castle if size alone prevents it if a new 20 X 20 can be more easly had.

Look at the foot pint of a Keep and a 20 X 20.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If keeps and Castles didn't have as many lock down would any one use them? Maybe they should bump the lockdowns in the smaller pre made homes [L shaped,smithys, large bricks] a lot more housing space would open up.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
NO! As someone stated previously, Housing is one if the few things in UO that has not been duped. I understand that people want them, but thats because they are rare. There should remain an aspect of UO that is challenging, even difficult, yet possible to obtain. Castles are rare and very valuable, but if you really want one, it IS possible to get one. Please lets not nerf one of the few aspects of the game that still gives people something to work towards, and feel very good about obtaining. Lets keep Castles and Keeps to Tram and Fel.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should have had a "I don't Care" option.

I voted No. I would have voted I do not care.

As far as I am concerned, the Castles and Keeps are a waste. To much land space per total lock downs. Well not the Keep but the Keep has so much internally wasted space it is not even remotely, to me, worth having.

Now if they were in fact Customizable, then I can see how this would be good for everyone.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Castles really are the only thing worth working for in the game!!!

Everything else as been duped...u cant dupe a castle!! u can only ask for more!!! LoL ..Like this post is doing/asking!!!!

btw - I love the before/after maps of the land on SP...seems some fools are still sitting on potential Keep spots on there smaller tower/customs on the newer map!! they should expand too!!

F

Flora Green

I voted no, but I actually don't really care. Should have had a neutral choice in the poll.

L

Lord Drakelord

I will show you, I have 2 maps of Safe Haven Siege Perilous, one from year 2002 and one from year 2008. If the castles and keeps had been used for large and medium guilds HQ, it had been all good but most of them are ghost houses, the owner do not play but he do pay to keep his house if he some day will be back.

First Safe Haven Year 2002, a living town with alot of players.

Now the same town, 6 years later and with alot of castles and keeps and very few active players.

To some people a castle is a waste of space. If someone gave you one id bet you wouldnt take it down for an 18x18 :) [/QUOTE]

I had a castle, I sold it again. Yes I do have 2 keeps, but I really only need one as guildhouse and I would do fine with a 18x18 if more would stack and we had more boxes like bod books.[/QUOTE]

If they would allow us to place smaller homes, villa or less, then more folks would place on other shards, we have charactors on most shards, including Siege that live at the Inns due to this. We really don't wish to live at someone home as that means joining a guild that we would not be playing with since we are on our primary shard and in a guild there. But if they did allow that then there would be more smaller homes around.

S

ShadowJack

I like keeps better than castles, I never liked the fact you couldn't run full circle around a castle.

Now a customizable castle spot would be dank. You could make a town on that damn thing

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it would be such a bad thing at this point. They would need to open up the ares they had set aside as well.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how people who do not own castles have this hatred for those who do own them.

A lot of the age old "If I can't have one no one should".