• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Castle, Keep or Customizable 18x18?

• Thread starter Alyssa of ATL
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
A

Alyssa of ATL

So I gave up my last customizable home last month, and I'm already getting the customizing bug. This has me thinking...

How important to you is customization?

All things being equal (location, etc), if you could have only 1 house, would you pick a Castle or 18x18? A Keep or 18x18?

Since history/sentimentality can outweigh many things, I don't mean whether or not you would trade your current home... just whether or not you think a Castle or Keep is worth losing the ability to customize.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd have to go with castle for storage, and just use all my creative urges in decorating. :)

Maelwyn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bought a castle on Origin, then took it down so I could place a couple of 18x18s just so I could customize them. There is also space to place a keep behind that area, but I have another 18x18 there too.

Keeps and castles are ugly. I'd much rather have a cusomizable home.

Now being able to customize a keep or a castle...I'd love that. I'd tear those 18x18s down and would spend all my spare time designing with that big of a footprint.

A

Alyssa of ATL

*answers her own question*

I would pick a Castle over an 18x18, but I'm not sure about a Keep.

I gave up my customizable plot because I was able to get the Keep next door to my others.
(one "yay" for lower population shards)

Rubble does help, though. I was on a break during the Magincia event, and it was nice to come back and be able to do some relative customizing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now.... I know myself really well.... "If" I were stuck with just one property... I'd have to say a Castle.... despite the fact that my true love in UO is design and deco... I have to say this because I could design all I like on Test.... if I really had the bug .... but I can't packrat like I do in only one 18x18.....

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd take the 18x18. I love designing and feel like I do my best when my base matches my deco, instead of forcing the deco into smaller areas (although if I could have 2 plots I'd go with a tiny one as well, just for the challenge). Also, castles and keeps feel like too much space for me... I'm rather used to my little 18x18 :D

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Folks,

From the first moment I set foot upon Sosaria I longed for the day I would move in to my first Castle. It remains my favorite form of lodging. That said, I also enjoy my Keeps and customizables.

So my answer to the question is -- Castle, but I love all my homes and put great love and thot into their decoration and designs.

Elladan of Baja

W

Wilde1

castle > keep > 18x18

Im closing a second acct, having trouble getting everything into my keep, cant imagine only having an 18x18. If the customizables had equiv storage, they'd be fun to play with.

The Scandinavian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

its mainly two things that have kept me playing the last few years.
Blacksmith and house customization.

From start of runics my goal have been to make the best weapon in UO, for my screwed up template that is.Ofcourse my crappy luck makes that abit challenging.

And back to topic.House customization is so fun that I cant stand a boring castle,not even because of storage.If I have that much junk I trash some.
:D

I would rather change the plot system.Let me have 18x18 tiles and I can have as many building I want.Im currently building a "town" and that would be more fun with more smaller plots than two 18x18.

I go for 18x18.
Keeps and castles are equally boring.

Regards
The Scandinavian

X

XCodes

I don't think I'd go for the full 18x18. Don't 17x13 and 15x15 plots have the same storage? If so, I'd just stick with one of those so it wouldn't take as many lockdowns to decorate. Also, it'd be nice to just have customizable plots go up to castle size. I really don't get why you can't do that. You could make a kind of mini-village with that kind of real-estate.

Regardless, Castles have more than any one person needs and Keeps aren't enough of an improvement over 18x18's to make their really bland layout worthwhile.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only one acc it had to be a castle. But I rather have an 18x18 with castle storage. I have nothing to trash in my two 18x18 and one smaller.

D

Dragonchilde

No castles (or keeps) for me. I'm not a huge hoarder, although I do have a lot of stuff, I regularly clean it out and give it away.

I LOVE customizing, and I regularly redo my houses. I'm not the type to pay for multiple accounts just to have housing, and I can't stand how those keeps and castles look. Not to mention, I USE my house, and having to navigate around castle or keeps halls is irritating.

I'll keep my 18 x 18 in a sequestered grove surrounded by reapers.

I could do without the reapers, though.

S

Shantia

Love'em all. Love to customize a beautiful home, but i also long for the prestige a castle holds. Tho i think in the long run i'd get highly annoyed with the lay out of the castle. Running through 3 doors just to get inside? yuck.

T

Teeshy

I downsized from a castle to a 18 x 18 just cos I missed being able to have my house look how I wanted it to =)

ONLY thing I missed was the storage.

So I opened a second account and placed a second 18 x 18 =P That's my preference ;) LOL!

S

Shantia

hehe i was running 3 side by side 18x18's until i got my grubby paws on a keep today *squeals* I'll probably end up missing that set up tho, and now my hubby is demanding a keep for his account too *groans* gonna break up my strip mall dude! so wrong..*giggles*

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id have to pick a castle. Although I often get the urge to customize, I would pick a castle for all the storage.. I have alot of stuff. :) And if all the decorating wasent enough to get rid of my urge to customize I would go to the test and customize all day long :D

P

PlayBoy. Inc.

I had to make this decision not too long ago actually.

I gave up my 18x18 to move into a keep. I love the extra storage space and decorating it was fun! I don't think I can handle decorating a castle though. It's too big!! o_O Too many hallways/corners. Maybe I am also just being a bit lazy though. lol

N

Ni-

I would choose the biggest customizable I could get. I don't redisign my 2 customizables all the time, but they are both alot more of what I want than a castle or keep. So I will gladly sacrifice the additional storage.

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats a hard one! I have two side by side 18x18's that I LOVE and a large tower. I know the towers aren't that impressive but its my first non customizable home. I didn't think I was going to like it cause I couldn't change the walls and the floors but I am actually enjoying decoing this house a lot! Its fun to have to force your imagination to decorate an almost identical floor plan on all levels. I would imagine a keep or a castle would be a lot of fun...So much room to play with!

C

CaptainRon

18x18 so I can do what I want But
if I could place a castle my self I would choose the castle
I would never pay for anything I couldnt place
It is just me
I have my own little village on the pac and love it
placed them all
3 18x18 one about 16x16 and a small little look out tower
I like to try new things

D

Devilicious

I always wanted a Keep then got it had it for 2 months and only went there a few times. I sold the keep to buy the 3rd house in my row so now I got 3 18x18 in a row and I love them. So I say.. 18x18 always and forever! *always changing my 18x18s..*