Casting speed

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
R

RObert j H

i think it may be my keyboard or something but i have an issue where i can cast absolutely perfect on myself but in pvp i have a major delay between even spells like magic arrow, anyone know what the problem is?(I am 6/2 casting)

Jagerstadt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 25, 2004
Is your client just not responding to the button pushes or are you getting a message saying you must wait to cast another spell? This sounds like a classic lag case...especially so if you're pvping with large groups of people.

Also, you don't turn protection on when you pvp do you? That will drop your FC to zero.

Jag

R

RObert j H

No, I don't use protection for pvp. But i don't think it's lag either, it seems like the client just doesn't receive the key.

Edit: What do i do IF it is the client not receiving it? any ideas? anyone??

I

imported_mr.blackmage

are your spells macroed to a wait for target, target last or something? The spell cursor still comes up, right? If you are clicking, or hitting your last target key, and the spell doesn't hit them right away... then yes it is lag.

also, you said magic arrow, I assume you know the damage delay of spells though.

R

RObert j H

yea and with a spell then target last macro it still delays and not all of them even hit

I

imported_mr.blackmage

Explosion, eb, fs, magic arrow, fireball, meteor swarm/chain lightning, mindblast,... all of the damage spells except for harm, have a damage delay. It's around 1.25 seconds (although MB & explode is longer).

Do not make macros that have wait for target/target last in them. Just have your spell macros through UO, and use last target through UOA. Besides the .5 seconds added to spell time recently, nothing else has changed (that I have noticed).

J

Jakylpops

When i was taught mage dueling, i was told never to use lazy spell macros with the "last target" built into them.

Use a last target and a target self macro button after each spell, if you're using UOassist try using the mousewheel. Roll forward for last target, and roll backward for target self, your timing doesn't have to be quite as perfect since the macro gets spammed each click of your mousewheel.

R

RObert j H

<blockquote><hr>

Explosion, eb, fs, magic arrow, fireball, meteor swarm/chain lightning, mindblast,... all of the damage spells except for harm, have a damage delay. It's around 1.25 seconds (although MB &amp; explode is longer).

Do not make macros that have wait for target/target last in them. Just have your spell macros through UO, and use last target through UOA. Besides the .5 seconds added to spell time recently, nothing else has changed (that I have noticed).

[/ QUOTE ]no, it's not a delay in the damage, i know the damage delay stuff. what happens is once i cast a small spell(arrow,harm,fireball,etc.) a couple times it doesn't let me continue to cast, even if im hitting the key.

and i cast w/e spell then hit my last target/target self key

I

imported_archite666

Hm I have the same problem when using my nostromo.

ofatlantic07

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 3, 2007
[/ QUOTE ]no, it's not a delay in the damage, i know the damage delay stuff. what happens is once i cast a small spell(arrow,harm,fireball,etc.) a couple times it doesn't let me continue to cast, even if im hitting the key.

and i cast w/e spell then hit my last target/target self key

[/ QUOTE ]

Exact same thing happens to me A LOT. It drives me insane, makes me want to start pvping with a dexxer again. I really don't think its an overcasting issue. When its overcasting you get that message in the corner, saying you haven't recovered or whatever. This isn't lag either, my conn is perfectly fine. I don't use UOA, I told someone my problem before and they said that NOT using UOA was my problem..yet I don't see how that would make a difference. Does anyone who uses UOA have this problem?

Again, its not lag or overcasting. Its exactly what the OP said. I'll be in a duel, I'll cast a spell, then try to cast another one and nothing, no messages about overcasting, no lag, just absolutely no spell. I'll continue hitting the key over and over as well for up to 3 seconds (3 secs is a good while for not having your spell come up), and still no spell. Just me looking like an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing in a duel =/. By the time my damage spell does work I have to either heal or cure myself by that time.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

I

imported_mr.blackmage

no you don't get the message in the corner, that just means that you don't have 6 FCR. It has been in place since AoS, and it will piss all mage pvpers off at one point or another. You will know it happens when you see the spell words but you are not frozen in place. Again, you don't get a message for overcasting. This is why it can literally be impossible for a pure mage to kill a 4/6 chiv caster. You can hold down chiv spells, and they will go off. Try that with magery, you won't get a spell cursor.

After you realize you overcasted, wait a 1/2 a second before you hit the key again. It will work.

ofatlantic07

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 3, 2007
<blockquote><hr>

no you don't get the message in the corner, that just means that you don't have 6 FCR. It has been in place since AoS, and it will piss all mage pvpers off at one point or another. You will know it happens when you see the spell words but you are not frozen in place. Again, you don't get a message for overcasting. This is why it can literally be impossible for a pure mage to kill a 4/6 chiv caster. You can hold down chiv spells, and they will go off. Try that with magery, you won't get a spell cursor.

After you realize you overcasted, wait a 1/2 a second before you hit the key again. It will work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2/6 though. I don't know, maybe you're right and thats my problem. It doesn't always happen when I'm trying to fast cast though. For example, I have a tact mage as well. I'll cast a spell, then I'll hit my special key and run in close on my opponent (obviously not casting anything for a good second or 2 until I hit with my special), then I'll try casting a spell after it hits and nothing. No spell words coming over my char or anything. Very frustrating.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

it also happens if you get interrupted and try to cast again too fast. I wouldn't be surprised that the few changes that they have implemeted already are causing other occurences of this to happen. Those changes being the special move toggle change, and the rubberband fix.

I

imported_mr.blackmage

yeah I just tested it. It happens when you cast another spell a split second before you are unfrozen from casting your current spell. A result of the latest change to fix the rubberbanding. So just wait until you are sure the spell will be done. Yes, this means that all spells that are casted while you are trying to run will take about .25-5 seconds longer. Sucky change

G

This has happened to me numerous times in the field and dueling since I started playing again. I think it has to do with the delay they put into casting, but they didn't smooth it out with the other features of the game. I wonder if they consider this a bug or a "feature." :\