• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Casting Focus

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I'm working on a new suit of armour for my mage. I pretty much always run the protection spell when in combat.

I'm thinking about using "Protector of the Battle Mage" along with "Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings"

The protector has 3% casting focus and the kelp leggings have 4%. I also have GM inscription.

After looking online it states "Inscription also grants a 5% bonus in addition and can exceed the item cap."

Is this still the case?

as if so it means I will have the 12% cap.

Also if I have 12% does this mean my spells won't be interrupted? Surely it would need to be 100%?!

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Casting Focus is an item property found on certain armor. It provides a chance to resist any interruptions while casting spells. It has a cumulative cap of 12%[1]. Inscription also grants a 5% bonus in addition and can exceed the item cap.

From reading this you have a chance that your spells wont be interrupted. There is no 100% and no guarantee that you will always get your spell off

Z

Zero Day

Casting Focus is Capped at 23%
Casting Focus from Items = 12%
Casting Focus from Inscription = +5%
Casting Focus from Preservance= 6%

---------------------------------------

@ 23# Thats Just under 1/5 hits you can continue to cast through and its nothing to sneeze at.
Saved my bacon quite a bit. Though as it is a Roll stat, its not dependable so if you're banking on it going off, dont.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I will just try and up my physical resists to counter for using the protection spell.

L

Luke Carjacker

The physical resist isn't the major problem, increasing resists is a piece of cake. What you should be concerned with is that protection has a Faster Casting penalty, and further caps FC at zero (in other words you can add more FC to offset the penalty, the most you can ever have in protection is zero FC).

What that means, obviously, is that you'll cast slowly. You didn't say if you're planning to pvp or pvm, but in pvp you won't be able to cast quickly enough to kill anyone (unless you're just loading up a spell to drop during a gank). In pvm you're seriously limiting your damage output because, well obviously, you're doing less damage if you cast spells slowly.

Protection is useful in certain limited situations, but having it on all the time pretty much guarantees that you'll never be more than a mediocre or worse mage, in pvp or pvm.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you should be concerned with is that protection has a Faster Casting penalty, and further caps FC at zero (in other words you can add more FC to offset the penalty, the most you can ever have in protection is zero FC).
Do you mean can't compensate?

Last edited: