• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can't stealth with +stealth items?

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was playing with one of my chars and thought it would be cool to be able to stealth around some fel dungeons. I added GM hiding and equiped enough +stealth items to get me to 80 and I can't stealth. Do i need a certain amount of real stealth skill?

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing other than:

+20 cloak
Ring and bracelet +30
shadow dancer +20
Bandana +10

For 80 stealth. I hide and take one step and not stealth

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aren't shadow dancer leggings platemail? You need more than 80 stealth to stealth in platemail.

F

Francois_Villon

I have 60 real + leggings (20) + robe (10) + cloak (20) + bandana (10) = 120 boosted

Just tested on Cats and had no problems.

Maybe you need at least .1 real to "activate" it? I dunno.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you aren't running when attempting to stealth. Even if you run for one step you will get revealed if you aren't in stealth mode yet. If you are walking then I have no idea, I think you need at least 80 hiding so there shouldn't be any problem with GM hiding. Perhaps the last post here is right and you need at least some real skill for it to work.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In the options on CC there is a run all the time box. For some reason over the last few months all of mine got checked *shrugs*. Make sure that is not clicked.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried adding .1 using the EC and CC same result, no always run selected. Maybe I need more real skill?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm stumped then. Have you tried activating the skill from the menu?

Only other idea I have is that you carefully check all your real skills and make sure you have high enough real hiding, try dieing and resing, logging off and on, and maybe try moving hiding off the character then back on.

Worse comes to worse maybe you do indeed need more real skill. I never tried using 0 real skill for stealthing.

Titans1

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Found this on uoguide: Once you have hidden successfully, activate Stealth and you will be able to move a distance dependent on your skill. If you have 25 points or more you can automatically activate Stealth by walking a step while hidden.

I can't vouch for its accuracy because I have never tried to stealth with less than 30 real skill but it would seem to explain what is happening.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That could be, I'll try and buy 25 stealth on another character and add items to 80 and see what happens.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just activate stealth manually before you try to move.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep tried that too and I fail stealthing... it must be that you need a certain amount of base skill.

C

chrae

Is your character very old? From way back in the day? The same thing happened to me. My character was created late '98 or early '99 and at some point much later I decided to mess around with stealth a little even though I was not very fond of the skill (it's not my style). I bought up my skill from NPC and put on similar equipment that you did, but nothing could make me succeed even once.

My guess is that maybe if you created your character before stealth was added to the game, you might just be completely unable to stealth with that character ever. I doubt GMs will help you either, they'll just refer you to the UO play guide like they did with me.

As a test, you should create a newbie character with the NPC bought stealth skill and equipment you were wearing and I bet that you'll be able to stealth. Which is not what you want to do because you want to stealth with that character, but at least then you'll know for sure by experiment what your problem really is.

M

Melissa Rohan

I believe you need 30 real stealth skill to begin stealthing... then you can add stealth items to boost your skill.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info!
I am searching for info too. My character started new from scratch and bought starting skills in Haven recenty.. now has real stealth but is totally stuck at 75 and isn't gaining.
!00 Hiding ... low magery Have been wearing every kind of clothing, to try gain.. cloth to full plate armor and nothing helps.
All arrows lock at 0 except for the ones she is using so has room to gain. Also have a 120 PS for stealth waiting to be used. HELP.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Was playing with one of my chars and thought it would be cool to be able to stealth around some fel dungeons. I added GM hiding and equiped enough +stealth items to get me to 80 and I can't stealth. Do i need a certain amount of real stealth skill?
Stealth requires you to have at least 25 real skill if you want to use items to push you past the "Fail" limit. Until you stack on some real skill you will fail.

I am searching for info too. My character started new from scratch and bought starting skills in Haven recenty.. now has real stealth but is totally stuck at 75 and isn't gaining.
!00 Hiding ... low magery Have been wearing every kind of clothing, to try gain.. cloth to full plate armor and nothing helps.
All arrows lock at 0 except for the ones she is using so has room to gain. Also have a 120 PS for stealth waiting to be used. HELP.
This seems common.. but if you intend to mainly wear leather it won't be an issue, you will not fail (maybe extremely rarely though I can not recall doing so) a passive stealth check at 75 skill in Leather or Cloth.

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gave up on this a while ago and never tested adding the 25 real skill. As it stands Stealth requires a second skill, Hiding to work why the heck would they make you have 25 real stealth skill to use when you're already commiting at least 80 real skill in hiding to be effective. No other skill i'm aware of has a "real" skill minimum to work before adding +skill items AND requiring a second skill to function. It's crazy...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No other skill i'm aware of has a "real" skill minimum to work before adding +skill items AND requiring a second skill to function. It's crazy...
Probably because stealth is one of the only skills where we can stack up on "fake" skill to a ridiculous level?

Although I know with tactics you need the proper amount of "real" skill to perform special moves. So stealth is not the only skill that has those requirements.

Last edited:

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was that way before the items came out, and besides it's not exactly OP when you can be detected with far less skill investment

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally don't see a problem though. Makes sense to me to require a base to actually use a skill before stacking up on items. 25 skill investment isn't demanding, especially if you're going to rely on that skill often. But once you learn how to stealth around crowds, being revealed wont be a big problem. I employed ninjitsu to my template, just enough to use shadow jump. With that ability you can get in and out without risking passive detect at all.

Last edited:

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stealth is basiicallt ythe ONLY skill where with items you can hit 80, which is absurd, so requireing SOME commitment in STEALTH (real skill) only make sense.

I want items so i can have 80 archery without any skill used lets see how well that plays out,

Sheesh :gee: