• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can we have a patch to un-screw High Seas?

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Keep the price of saltpeter high. It is one of the few ways a legit miner can earn a living since the ruining mining via the randomized ore, made mining predominately a scripter only activity.
As far as I can tell there's a grand total of one player vendor on Atlantic stocking saltpeter, and they're only stocking like 500 at a time, which is enough for a whopping 20 powder charges or something. Under no circumstances should they keep the price of saltpeter expensive to preserve this dead non-existant market.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I can tell there's a grand total of one player vendor on Atlantic stocking saltpeter, and they're only stocking like 500 at a time, which is enough for a whopping 20 powder charges or something. Under no circumstances should they keep the price of saltpeter expensive to preserve this dead non-existant market.
Only expensive if you buy it. So I will give you one of your typical short answers.... Spend a few hours mining 3k of it per hour. Saltpeter availability since they upped the niter deposits while dungeon and Ilsh mining is pretty much a non issue. Most of us that sell it sell direct to the alchemist. Typically 135,000-170,000 per 500 hard to sell it to other players because everyone wants to pay less than the alchemist but will buy the alchemist back up almost every day. Adding more alchemist selling saltpeter on prodo will not change that as shop prices if I am remembering right are global now. As far as a dead market I sell it till it is only bringing in 130k per 500 and then wait for the non existent market to buy it back up so the alchemist is paying high again. . It literally is the only way a non scripting miner can dig out a honest living in UO now. No need to completely make mining a worthless skill.

Edit that being said I will be happy to log onto my atl miner and mine it for you at the alchemist buy price :)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The entire expansion's worth of content is dependant upon that one resource. Frankly? Screw your miner. I want to finally play the expansion I paid for in 2010.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I know but come man this it total CHEEZ that is beyond even my acceptable CHEEZY levels. Limiting them to working light cannons and having to kill the crew would atleast be kind of fair :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The entire expansion's worth of content is dependant upon that one resource. Frankly? Screw your miner. I want to finally play the expansion I paid for in 2010.
Then mine it yourself, the player buying demand is what drives the price up and keeps it up. You know that non existent market. It is totally free to mine it yourself BTW, otherwise STFU and pay up ;)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well there's finally some fuse cords for sale on Atlantic. Two whole bundles of 10 for only 24k gold each. Boy I can practically taste that sweet 10k pirate reward already. The developer's attempt to make this entire expansion dependant upon some kind of player economy was a trainwreck from the beginning and did nothing but strangle the expansion in the cradle.

Then mine it yourself, the player buying demand is what drives the price up and keeps it up. You know that non existent market. It is totally free to mine it yourself BTW, otherwise STFU and pay up ;)
Okay guys, never mind, guess we can leave the expansion dead for another five years. This guy is having too much fun indirectly selling saltpeter to the 3 people on his shard who use it.

"STFU and pay up... or just ignore this garbage completely while thread after thread fills up with complaints about how worthless the expansion was for year after year."

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well there's finally some fuse cords for sale on Atlantic. Two whole bundles of 10 for only 24k gold each. Boy I can practically taste that sweet 10k pirate reward already. The developer's attempt to make this entire expansion dependant upon some kind of player economy was a trainwreck from the beginning and did nothing but strangle the expansion in the cradle.

Okay guys, never mind, guess we can leave the expansion dead for another five years. This guy is having too much fun indirectly selling saltpeter to the 3 people on his shard who use it.

LOL you are just really opposed to mining it for free aren't you :) Saltpeter availability is a total non issue, you can pay the alchemist, you can get it cheaper hiring a miner, you can GASP mine yourself. Yet you pick the one NON ISSUE to cry about the most.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Takes more than 3 people buying alchemist up to take it from 130k per 500 to 160k per 500 on a regular basis :)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
LOL you are just really opposed to mining it for free aren't you :) Saltpeter availability is a total non issue, you can pay the alchemist, you can get it cheaper hiring a miner, you can GASP mine yourself. Yet you pick the one NON ISSUE to cry about the most.
"Sure you're hitting Vendor Search for the resources required and getting either nothing or stuff so expensive that playing the content actually loses you money, but I'm making money so the economy is fine! You can just roll a miner specifically for this if you don't like it!"

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They could always sell the Ship Painting from the King's Collection in the store. That thing cuts out the hassle and produces heavy powder charges, up to 250. I have several and am sitting in 8K+ in charges... :eyes:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They could always sell the Ship Painting from the King's Collection in the store. That thing cuts out the hassle and produces heavy powder charges, up to 250. I have several and am sitting in 8K+ in charges... :eyes:
If it crapped out fuses too I'd buy the collection for that alone.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Sure you're hitting Vendor Search for the resources required and getting either nothing or stuff so expensive that playing the content actually loses you money, but I'm making money so the economy is fine! You can just roll a miner specifically for this if you don't like it!"
If the alchemist was the only option for obtaining it I would agree with you, but there are 3 other options other than the alchemist. Last time I was on Atlantic a few weeks ago there was a guy spamming 60k saltpeter for sale for 14.4 mil only 240 each. Alchemist was buying for 273 each. Two guys at the alchemist buying the hell out of it and complaining about the high price. Offered to sell them the 20k I was getting ready to sell of at 270 each and one told me I was Fing nuts if I thought he was going to pay that much to a player for it. I walked away from the NPC with 5.3 mil, two hours later the guy spamming 60k was still spamming it........ Now I wonder if the guy at the alchemist that told me I was Fing nut was you :) Can see you paying 300+ to the NPC just to have something to complain about when there were 3 considerably less expensive options available.

The biggest issue it the time once you have the Saltpeter Personally I would not sell fuse cords for less than 2000 each just because of the time involved. cut that time by 2/3s and I would probably sell them for 500 each. When you can easily mine 3k+ salt peter per hour the availability is a non issue and if it is a issue you simply are too lazy to mine it yourself and are at the mercy of the market. You have a choice in that, you don't have a choice in the the waste of time after the easy part is obtained. They specifically greatly increased the mining rate of Saltpeter just to shut everyone up that was crying about it how unfair and expensive it is. No one is making you buy it and no one is stopping you from mining it, you have free will and choice there ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just make the ship painting where it can be set to heavy charges or fuse cords......... problem solved.

Then I can set 30 of my prodo paintings to cords and 30 to charges and sell them and just delete my miner character all together.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I know but come man this it total CHEEZ that is beyond even my acceptable CHEEZY levels. Limiting them to working light cannons and having to kill the crew would atleast be kind of fair :)
I used to do that since High Seas was released. I'd take a Tamer with a Nightmare & Rune Beetle, and a Bard and go kill the crew, then scuttle and loot the ship. I never even imagined you could start shooting at the ship and they wouldn't shoot back, then someone on Siege tipped me off that I could ignore the crew and just scuttle the ship. Haven't used the Taming skills to hunt since. :rolleyes:

Since it's the only way to get high end ores, ingots, and woods without buying from scripters, I don't want to see it screwed up by making the ships difficult to scuttle and loot. That would force us to buy from scripters as the only way to get the goods in quantity again.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to do that since High Seas was released. I'd take a Tamer with a Nightmare & Rune Beetle, and a Bard and go kill the crew, then scuttle and loot the ship. I never even imagined you could start shooting at the ship and they wouldn't shoot back, then someone on Siege tipped me off that I could ignore the crew and just scuttle the ship. Haven't used the Taming skills to hunt since. :rolleyes:

Since it's the only way to get high end ores, ingots, and woods without buying from scripters, I don't want to see it screwed up by making the ships difficult to scuttle and loot. That would force us to buy from scripters as the only way to get the goods in quantity again.
Nooo they don't need to pirate ship hard there needs to be some low end worthwhile content in high seas and the merch ships are great for that. There are multiple other ways to CHEEZ both the pirates and the merch ships, but it would be neat to atleast have a little risk, I find myself using grape shot on the merch ships just to the crew will aggro on me and make it a little more exciting. If you want and don't know the other CHEEZ I will take you out and show you, its a little tricky and easier to show than explain.

After they randomized wood and ore I was ready to just quit UO for good. I had always been a miner, LJ crafter and Zoogie hunter and knew by heart ever Val, verite, and Ag spot in the hive and mined them as I made my powder runs or farmed BOS. Then one day that was ruined and literally broke 2/3s of the game for me. Then high seas came out and my miner was relevant again even if only mining salt peter. My half baked PvM toons were trained up in the interlude and could do the pirates and merch ships easy enough and the saltpeter and merch ships were a good way to supply my crafting addiction and sell the surplus to fund my other fetishes. I refuse to buy resources from other players as they are most likely script farmed and I am not going to support that crap. So when Spocky says screw my miner, my only thought is between breaking mining and making it a scripter only activity........ I think my miner has been screwed enough over the years to the point his backside is raw and bleeding. Saltpeter is the one and only way a legit miner can earn a decent income engaging in a legit in game profession. I don't want to break merch ships just add a little spice to them and have this idiotic randomized resources reverted back to static resources. So I can spend hundreds of hours finding and marking the locations and not be able to get more high ores and woods from merch ships in two hours than I can gather with my miner and LJ in two weeks.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I scuttle the merch's, loot em and leave em alone, then I scuttle the orc ships, board it and whoop everyones butt, then i kill the dread in about 2 minutes. I take everything except the matches. :) With no taming.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I scuttle the merch's, loot em and leave em alone, then I scuttle the orc ships, board it and whoop everyones butt, then i kill the dread in about 2 minutes. I take everything except the matches. :) With no taming.
LOL DPs are sooo easy to kill, only reason to take a pet is to cut it from 2 minutes to 1 min 30 seconds :) Pet alone is like 10-15 minutes to kill the DP. But come on man you take the gourds and pumpkins???

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Two guys at the alchemist buying the hell out of it and complaining about the high price. Offered to sell them the 20k I was getting ready to sell of at 270 each and one told me I was Fing nuts if I thought he was going to pay that much to a player for it.
At the prices you reference we're talking about 7200 to 8100 gold worth of saltpeter alone just to fire one shot from one cannon, never mind all the other crafting and assorted crap that goes into the whole ordeal. Once you do factor that stuff in, one shot from a cannon likely costs more than the quest reward for defeating a named pirate. Of course they're complaining. High Seas is an economic trainwreck, but you don't care because you're making money.

They specifically greatly increased the mining rate of Saltpeter just to shut everyone up that was crying about it how unfair and expensive it is. No one is making you buy it and no one is stopping you from mining it, you have free will and choice there ;)
Somehow I doubt any developer is thinking "Yes it's intended that shooting a cannon once costs as much as the quest reward from defeating a pirate, this is exactly how this economic model was supposed to work, and High Seas is really supposed to be an expansion about mining, so everyone should make a miner if they want to do it and not lose money!"

All I see is an utterly broken economic system, and the only guy making money off it arguing that high seas adventures are totally supposed to to be money-losers meant to prop up the price of fossilized bat crap.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the prices you reference we're talking about 7200 to 8100 gold worth of saltpeter alone just to fire one shot from one cannon, never mind all the other crafting and assorted crap that goes into the whole ordeal. Once you do factor that stuff in, one shot from a cannon likely costs more than the quest reward for defeating a named pirate. Of course they're complaining. High Seas is an economic trainwreck, but you don't care because you're making money.

Somehow I doubt any developer is thinking "Yes it's intended that shooting a cannon once costs as much as the quest reward from defeating a pirate, this is exactly how this economic model was supposed to work, and High Seas is really supposed to be an expansion about mining, so everyone should make a miner if they want to do it and not lose money!"

All I see is an utterly broken economic system, and the only guy making money off it arguing that high seas adventures are totally supposed to to be money-losers meant to prop up the price of fossilized bat crap.
Spock either you are playing devils advocate or are not nearly as intelligent as you think you are :) I will type really slow for just in case it is the latter :) IT COST NOTHING TO FIRE A CANNON, UNLESS YOU CHOOSE FOR IT TO. As to making money don't even go there because the only thing that exceeds your ego is your admitted greed. The problems with Fuse Cords is not and only was early on the availability of saltpeter. The problem is time and tedium in the actually making the fuse cords. Typing really slow for you again. THEY GREATLY INCREASED THE RATE AT WHICH NITER DEPOSITS SPAWNED and ADDED SHIP PAINTINGS. IN THE START YOU DID GOOD TO MINE 800-1000 SALTPETER PER HOUR, NOW YOU CAN MINE 3000+ PER HOUR WHICH MAKES 300 FUSE CORDS. Guess you missed the long debates the miners were having about increasing the niter rates and driving the price of saltpeter down. 300 fuse cords scuttles 21-22 ships (actually more from looting them from the scuttled ships) I find it humorous that you had no problem with the price from the alchemist until I said my OPINION was to leave that alone. You were calling for all alchemist to have saltpeter stocked, which would as you very well know NOT lower the global NPC price. As there is a easy alternative to buying out the alchemist (Which people doing is why I make money) Spend a few hours mining and you PAY NOTHING for them. From reading many of your post, I know that you doing anything to achieve anything goes against everything you believe in, so you are stuck paying the miner or the alchemist, as you will not even acknowledge that mining saltpeter is a viable option.

and at 270 per (which seems to be the atlantic alchemist buy price more often than not it is 1620 per fuse cord. and 19,680 to scuttle ships give or take. You must have missed where I said increase the gold for the pirates to 30k but you also seem to have a selective reading skill so that is not anything new or amazing. So instead of losing 10k doing a Dread Pirate Ship you would come out 10k + Ahead, 20k more if you are smart enough to make your own fuse cords and mine your own saltpeter. It is only a economic train wreck if you make it so ;) Again the time and tedium of actually putting everything together is the problem. On Siege the niter rates are about 1500-1700 per hour as no one in their right minds runs a top tier luck suit. But that is a whole different can of worms.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL and I am also very far from the only guy making money from mining saltpeter :)

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Spock either you are playing devils advocate or are not nearly as intelligent as you think you are :) I will type really slow for just in case it is the latter :) IT COST NOTHING TO FIRE A CANNON, UNLESS YOU CHOOSE FOR IT TO.
When you're telling someone to roll a whole new character you've already conceded the argument. Saltpeter is horribly overpriced to the point that shooting once costs as much as the quest rewards (powder takes saltpeter too) and your personal sense of entitlement over some random ass mining nerf from years ago doesn't make that any more acceptable. Even at 100k for the quest you'd better off farming ettins given the current cost of saltpeter.

Last edited:

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Introducing High Seas: Adventures in Mining! Enjoy a life of excitement and poverty as you ply the oceans of Sosaria in a thrilling quest to earn Tyrath's miner the money he's personally owed because of randomized ore spawns! Capture fabulous pirate treasure worth less than you paid for fossilized bat poop! Search fruitlessly for cannon supplies nobody will make because this system is so economically sound! And by economically sound we mean Tyrath's making money, STFU and roll a miner if you don't like it!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come to Siege, the saltpeter price here is something like 22 gold each and stays there.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The more relevant question is why even have the toggle when there are more natural ways to solve the problem
Like the "natural way" the gave us: baby dragon turtles?

Uhm. No. That was an epically numbskull move from concept to finished product.

We asked for a simple way to make dragons smaller at events. They gave us the failure that is the egg lottery. One egg per dragon turtle champ. One. 90% of those hatched don't even get tamed because they're utter crap. Nobody is going to give up their trained 4.+ greater for a lesser turtle.

If baby dragon turtles spawned in the wild, people might farm them for a replacement, but then that would make the champ even more pointless to do than it already is. :rolleyes2:

A toggle fixes the problem at hand without the need for another overwrought, needlessly gimmicky system. As Spock said, you don't have to use it, nor begrudge those who would.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My final thought on this, since it clearly won't get fixed anytime soon, because it's not a personal friends rares losing value., issue.Yeah I said it. Most of us don't have the time it takes in real life to gather all of this crap up. I don't have time to mine for 6 hrs and then craft for another 2 hrs to produce the amount of ammunition I shoot up during my 2 or 3 hrs of log in time. That same log in time doesn't produce enough income for me to buy it from others that do have 10-12 hrs per day to gather it up. Yes the ship paintings help, with charges...charges aren't the issue. I spent 2 hrs last night grinding just to produce the necessary black powder, still gotta make the fuse cords now. This could be fixed in one, emergency overnight patch. Many of which we've had in the past for totally ridiculous fixes that some very small portion of the community complained about. I'm not giving examples because there have been lots of them. This has been complained about for years now, with long drawn out threads containing lots of well thought out compromises. Goes to find something else to complain about, because hell, there are plenty.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
friends rares losing value., issue.Yeah I said it.
:ohsnap: you're not alone in that thought

But back on topic, sorta, regardless of how much gold can be made mining niter or how many you can get in three hours ( 3hours of mining just numbs my mind, OMG!) the fact remains that time and again we have complained about the long drawn out clickfest busywork tedium that is HS ship battles. Regardless of which team put it in, it seems that at sometime in the past someone on some team should have played this, NOT in godmode, but as a normal player, and realized "Hey! this is stupid!"

The team that put it in probably didnt play it either, I can see them sitting around drawing it up, and going, "We really need to break some of this up into smaller steps and give every possible trade skill a chore in it" .

Seriously, just fix it. Don't blame someone else, we know who did it. Don't pass the buck, just make it fun to do. And then, you can fix some of these other clickfests we have to deal with.

My rant of the day: Quit introducing short-term soon to be abandoned stuff-like almost anything Eodon- and make what we have already less tedious, and FUN to do, then you will have a happier player base. And for clarification:
FUN: Noun-
something that provides mirth or amusement:
A picnic would be fun.
enjoyment or playfulness:
She's full of fun.

Being overly time consuming and clicky is not listed in that definition. /rant

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come to Siege, the saltpeter price here is something like 22 gold each and stays there.
Saltpeter on Siege is a whole different critter than prodo. On Siege it makes more sense to buy it at 22 than to mine it. The drawback to Siege is you have to buy it up to 999 from 20. Prodo there are always 500 in stock and if you buy the 500 there are another 500 available right then. Just checked Legends prices today the Alchemist buy price is 245 and the sell price is 329 Selling it is down to 122500 per 500 buying it cost 164,500 per 500. Once bought up Siege price per 500 is 11,000 and as we all know you can't NPC sell on Siege. Same shop mechanic for gems, salpeter and a few other things that are kept stocked at 500 on prodo and the buying and selling causes the price to go up or down I believe every 1000 sold or bought and you can only sell in increments of 500. Every 1000 sold drops the price by 1 gold per and every 1000 bought raises the price by 1 gold per. There are a couple of new people on Legends selling and not as many people buying so over the last two weeks the sell price per 500 SP has dropped from 160,000 to 122,500 at the same time the sell price has dropped at the same rate. Siege and Prodo are two very different shop systems. Initially the sell price at the alchemist was very low and the buyer demand drove it to where it is today. If the same shop mechanic were in place on Siege as prodo the price would most like be in the 230-250 per range. I can mine it faster on Siege than I can buy the shop up to 999 so I still mine what I need. On Prodo I mine at about 2.5X the rate I do on Siege and usually go until I have 20k salt peter and use around 10k to make 1650 black powder and sell 10k to the shop and pocket 2.4-2.6 mil from it. or save it to 120k and then shield it to Atlantic and sell it usually at 20-25 more per than Legends because the demand is higher on ATL. Anyway the biggest challenge on Siege in obtaining saltpeter is keeping the alchemist bought up, not the price.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Introducing High Seas: Adventures in Mining! Enjoy a life of excitement and poverty as you ply the oceans of Sosaria in a thrilling quest to earn Tyrath's miner the money he's personally owed because of randomized ore spawns! Capture fabulous pirate treasure worth less than you paid for fossilized bat poop! Search fruitlessly for cannon supplies nobody will make because this system is so economically sound! And by economically sound we mean Tyrath's making money, STFU and roll a miner if you don't like it!
Again you had no issue with price until you found out someone was profiting from it. Your issue was with time and no one stocking the fuse cords. And at 6 salt peter per black powder at 329 shop sell price, that is 1974 gold per shot but as usual Spocky roll with the over exaggeration and claim it cost more per shot than the quest returns Which is just not true. The increased niter mining was not a bug. I believe it was pub 69 where they said they were increasing the rate. Niter popping in Ilsh. Was a bug that they said they would review and consider leaving in, obviously they decided to leave it in. Following your logic if I don't like rolling a combat type but I want 120 scrolls I should be able to easily do champ spawns with a pure crafter/LJ/Miner and easily be able to obtain the scrolls. Because I don't want to roll a combat type, and paying 18-20 mil for 120 mage scroll is just crazy I mean after all those guys that built templates just for spawning well, screw them...... Right? Same with Crims, tangles, slithers etc. That stuff should all be low cost. Unless of course it is what Spock does and then it should 150mil minimum.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok i'll follow up one more time. The issue with Ilsh was, niter was supposed to only be mineable in a dungeon, however they said all of oveland Ilsh is considered a dungeon. Funny though that doesn't apply to fishing. As far as Siege and our pitiful single Alchy with his horrific respawn rate, I emailed several times on this and was finally told by Mesanna that the alchy was working as designed for Siege, no matter how many times I tried to tell her the respawn times were fubar'd. I"ve bought enough from there to know. One day you can buy the 20 and in 15 minutes it will respawn to 40..then you can buy the 40 and sometimes it will be 2 hrs later before it respawns. It's nice when it finally reaches 999 because that's an awesome price, but it can absolutely be mined faster than that npc will spawn it. And for the record, I was also asking about xfers to and from Siege being a future thing and was told no, due to a Siege specific mount that exists (yes I"m sidetracking here but that's what I was told) however no long term vets from Siege have ever heard of such a thing...but again, that's another story, it was mainly mentioned because of the inadequate communication that exists, you know, like "because of a delivery issue".

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a lot of gold on Chessie buying saltpeter from the fel Sea Market and selling it at the Tram Sea Market. The prices got seriously different at times. :party:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:ohsnap: you're not alone in that thought

But back on topic, sorta, regardless of how much gold can be made mining niter or how many you can get in three hours ( 3hours of mining just numbs my mind, OMG!) the fact remains that time and again we have complained about the long drawn out clickfest busywork tedium that is HS ship battles. Regardless of which team put it in, it seems that at sometime in the past someone on some team should have played this, NOT in godmode, but as a normal player, and realized "Hey! this is stupid!"

The team that put it in probably didnt play it either, I can see them sitting around drawing it up, and going, "We really need to break some of this up into smaller steps and give every possible trade skill a chore in it" .

Seriously, just fix it. Don't blame someone else, we know who did it. Don't pass the buck, just make it fun to do. And then, you can fix some of these other clickfests we have to deal with.

My rant of the day: Quit introducing short-term soon to be abandoned stuff-like almost anything Eodon- and make what we have already less tedious, and FUN to do, then you will have a happier player base. And for clarification:
FUN: Noun-
something that provides mirth or amusement:
A picnic would be fun.
enjoyment or playfulness:
She's full of fun.

Being overly time consuming and clicky is not listed in that definition. /rant
Setting the Saltpeter aside which I am not going to change my opinion so long as there is a totally free mechanism that takes minimal effort to mine significant amounts of it as an option. I hate farming Black Thorn arties but I like the 140 luck robes my options pay some crazy price for the robe or collect the arties. There is a choice same holds true with mining or buying salt peter.

You hit the Major problem on the head which is the clicking and time sink involved in making the components that go into making the fuse cords and to a lesser extent the cannon balls and grape shot. Then the Clunky system of firing the cannons. The mining is a fraction of the time involved with making 300 fuse cords. The time in making is the single biggest issue, the bugged NPC ships are the second and the clunky cannon system is the third. Increasing the gold for a pirate turn to 30,000-40,000 is a must and improving the pirate loot to include some unique stuff other than the white cloth dye tub that all of us that do use high seas have hundreds of or dump in the trash for the turn in points. All simple fixes that streamline the entire system and don't screw the miners over yet again.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a lot of gold on Chessie buying saltpeter from the fel Sea Market and selling it at the Tram Sea Market. The prices got seriously different at times. :party:
The fel side and the tram side don't sync with the global shop prices :)

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out on the water. Make at least the cleaning and charging one click, would prefer the whole process one click with the same time and just set the cannon to fire balls or shot via some menu. Just streamline the entire process but NOT reduce the time it takes. Fix the Pirate ships from firing after scuttled and the crew is killed.

Very annoying watching your slightly damaged ship get trashed while fighting the dread pirate. About half the time you can park on the back of the ship and not take damage and about half the time the pirate ship flips and keeps firing and trashing your ship from the nose cannon.
@Kyronix The poster above hit some of the big issues on the head. Here are some of the worst problems I see with the High Seas ship mechanics:

1) When my ship gets scuttled, I can't sit there flipping my ship around like a fish out of water, but a dread pirate ship can?
2) I can kill all the pirate crew, board the pirate ship, have the dread pirate engaged in hand to hand combat, and the cannons on his ship keep firing.
3) Cannon balls are not grenades, shooting one "close enough" to a ship should not cause damage. You should have to actually be lined up with the ship for the cannon ball to hit, not do damage to a ship when the cannon ball hits off to the side (falls in the water).
4) Grapeshot is worthless IMO. I just keep stacking it up to turn in for clean up points. The damage it does is so minimal it is a waste of materials to use it. Make it worth using or double the amount of cannonballs we get from looting ships.
5) Ship repair: I have an entire hold full of boards, cloth ,etc. Why in order to repair my ship, do I have to drag 300 boards & cloth at a time & then choose permanent repairs over & over? The tillerman should know how many resources are in the hold & ship repair should be a one click deal as long as you have enough resources in the hold.
5) 4 steps to load a cannon that you then have to fire is too much for a video game. 2 steps to load (clean + load) would be realistic enough IMO.
6) The cannon menus are awkward to use. Why can't the game remember where I last put them? Having to re-position the menus every time I recall home for more supplies, log off, etc gets annoying. And once they are "up", why can't they stay activated - often when I move around too much, the menus stop working & I have to re-click the cannon for them to work. An open menu will close if you click it while not close enough to the cannon. This is very annoying. The cannon menus need a lot of work.
7) Why do I have to be near shore to replace a cannon? Can't my "crew" simply drag one from the hold? I understand ship repairs needing to be near shore, but not cannon replacement.
8) Recall to Sea Market. Having to permanently park a characters ship @ the sea market just so I can recall to it & then take a rowboat from it to the dock is just a romantic notion.

I like the expansion despite its many flaws. I would like to see it fixed & people enjoy it instead of something you do for a couple of weeks and get fed up with it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix The poster above hit some of the big issues on the head. Here are some of the worst problems I see with the High Seas ship mechanics:

1) When my ship gets scuttled, I can't sit there flipping my ship around like a fish out of water, but a dread pirate ship can?
2) I can kill all the pirate crew, board the pirate ship, have the dread pirate engaged in hand to hand combat, and the cannons on his ship keep firing.
3) Cannon balls are not grenades, shooting one "close enough" to a ship should not cause damage. You should have to actually be lined up with the ship for the cannon ball to hit, not do damage to a ship when the cannon ball hits off to the side (falls in the water).
4) Grapeshot is worthless IMO. I just keep stacking it up to turn in for clean up points. The damage it does is so minimal it is a waste of materials to use it. Make it worth using or double the amount of cannonballs we get from looting ships.
5) Ship repair: I have an entire hold full of boards, cloth ,etc. Why in order to repair my ship, do I have to drag 300 boards & cloth at a time & then choose permanent repairs over & over? The tillerman should know how many resources are in the hold & ship repair should be a one click deal as long as you have enough resources in the hold.
5) 4 steps to load a cannon that you then have to fire is too much for a video game. 2 steps to load (clean + load) would be realistic enough IMO.
6) The cannon menus are awkward to use. Why can't the game remember where I last put them? Having to re-position the menus every time I recall home for more supplies, log off, etc gets annoying. And once they are "up", why can't they stay activated - often when I move around too much, the menus stop working & I have to re-click the cannon for them to work. An open menu will close if you click it while not close enough to the cannon. This is very annoying. The cannon menus need a lot of work.
7) Why do I have to be near shore to replace a cannon? Can't my "crew" simply drag one from the hold? I understand ship repairs needing to be near shore, but not cannon replacement.
8) Recall to Sea Market. Having to permanently park a characters ship @ the sea market just so I can recall to it & then take a rowboat from it to the dock is just a romantic notion.

I like the expansion despite its many flaws. I would like to see it fixed & people enjoy it instead of something you do for a couple of weeks and get fed up with it.
This reminds me of another bug that is annoying. It has only happened 5-6 times but while firing at the opposing ship, it is like the cannon I am firing is back firing and destroys the cannon on the opposite side of it on your ship. And occasionally destroys itself. Not the normal wear and tear destroyed. Heavy cannons are bit on the expensive side so when one you are not firing goes from pristine to poof.......... atleast for me it is a desk pounding WTF just happened moment.

Another bug when you board the pirate ship and half of your body is below the deck and only your top half is above. Always feel like I am swinging my war hammer at the pirates knees.

The ship flipping is the most annoying of all to me. if all of the pirates gun pads have a cannon there is no where to park your ship and not take damage. Alhough sometimes you can put the back corner of your ship against the back corner of the pirate ship just right and not take damage. Once the crew is dead the cannons should go silent. Once the ship is scuttled all movement should stop.

And just as pure bonus content let us hire NPC crews to man and work the cannons. Even if the gold and loot is bumped I doubt it will be lucrative enough to split 4-6 ways with a player crew. If you can find 4-6 players that would even serve as crew.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What you're actually hitting is the side of the mast/sails, which will in fact do damage to the whole of the ship. It's a tactic I use often with dreads that allows me to hit them but not them to hit me.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Especially with all this talk of Salt Peter . . .
Salt peter in your food in basic training was a myth. The drill sergeants ate the same food as the rest of us. Doubt they would do that if there were nasties in the chow.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you're actually hitting is the side of the mast/sails, which will in fact do damage to the whole of the ship. It's a tactic I use often with dreads that allows me to hit them but not them to hit me.
I just park my ship right at the very edge of cannon ball range and scuttle them, they never move and never fire and the merch ships don't take off running :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just park my ship right at the very edge of cannon ball range and scuttle them, they never move and never fire and the merch ships don't take off running :)
Yeah they need to fix the "ships run away when you steer bug", the ships don't move if you let your tillerman do the driving, at least it seems that way to me.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah they need to fix the "ships run away when you steer bug", the ships don't move if you let your tillerman do the driving, at least it seems that way to me.
Yep. I think they did fix the hiding bug, where you could hide sail right up to the pirate ship and work the cannons hidden and they would not attack. Last time I tried that I unhid as soon as my boat moved. Never explored it further after that.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never head of that, I scuttle every ship I see while hidden, always have. Edit..yes I reveal if I'm actually driving the boat manually.