• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can Someone Help Me?

• Thread starter Sabra Stillyour
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Sabra Stillyour

All right, I used to play UO when I was 11 and 12. I don't know which one it was, but I remember that it was UO. I'd love to start playing again, and want to get the game. But, I'm facing some problems.

One problem is this: Can UO work on a Windows & and a CPU called Premium Vision AMD? I'm really not computer savvy, and I am LOST!

Please, help me out here!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All right, I used to play UO when I was 11 and 12. I don't know which one it was, but I remember that it was UO. I'd love to start playing again, and want to get the game. But, I'm facing some problems.

One problem is this: Can UO work on a Windows & and a CPU called Premium Vision AMD? I'm really not computer savvy, and I am LOST!

Please, help me out here!
Telling us that you played when you were 11 doesn't help unless you also say how old you are now :D With no frame of reference, we don't know how long ago it was.

Unlike single player games like Diablo I, Diablo II etc where you have totally new versions, there's only 1 UO released. We've had add-ons/expansions/new lands almost every year, but it's the same UO.

PCs classified as Vision Premium are moderately high end PCs. Your PC is definitely more than enough for playing UO. UO has pretty low system requirements anyway.

Next important part is your internet connection. Lag is important most online games, including one as lag tolerant as UO. Any decent broadband connection is fine. Ideal ping to the game servers is 100 ms or less. You will see the ping speed to each server when you logon to UO.

S

Sabra Stillyour

Telling us that you played when you were 11 doesn't help unless you also say how old you are now :D With no frame of reference, we don't know how long ago it was.

Unlike single player games like Diablo I, Diablo II etc where you have totally new versions, there's only 1 UO released. We've had add-ons/expansions/new lands almost every year, but it's the same UO.

PCs classified as Vision Premium are moderately high end PCs. Your PC is definitely more than enough for playing UO. UO has pretty low system requirements anyway.

Next important part is your internet connection. Lag is important most online games, including one as lag tolerant as UO. Any decent broadband connection is fine. Ideal ping to the game servers is 100 ms or less. You will see the ping speed to each server when you logon to UO.
XD Sorry! I'm 19. I played back in 2003-2004. lol I read a lot yesterday, but didn't realize that all those "games" I read about were add-ons! >< lol But, I do know that I miss playing so bad, it's not even funny...

And, I never knew that! I really never knew that they were add-ons! I really thank you for helping me with that! :)

YES! XD I recently got this laptop for my college classes, and hoped and prayed it would work with it. I was worried when I read the requirements that my PC wouldn't accept it! I thank you for helping me with this fact, too!

So, I will see this info when I get an account and log in, is that right? And, any decent broadband connection is fine. My dad says we have excellent connection. So, that's good. But, what does ms mean? And, anywhere 100 or below is good for it. Ok, I thank you so much! :)

S

Sabra Stillyour

ms .. milli seconds..thousands of a second
Oh! Gotcha! Thanks! I understand it now! :)

May I ask one last question? I'm in the US, on the East Coast. Which...Shard, if I am correct in asking? Should I go to?

B

Beer_Cayse

Up until I retired recently, I played Lake Austin (West Coast) on TimeWarner RoadRunner basic service and had little problem. I'm in N. Central NY - Syracuse area - if that's any help.

I also had little issue with Europa except for a bit more lag, or Great Lakes.

East Coast ... Atlantic, Catskills, Chesapeake. Each has their pros and cons.

S

Sabra Stillyour

Up until I retired recently, I played Lake Austin (West Coast) on TimeWarner RoadRunner basic service and had little problem. I'm in N. Central NY - Syracuse area - if that's any help.

I also had little issue with Europa except for a bit more lag, or Great Lakes.

East Coast ... Atlantic, Catskills, Chesapeake. Each has their pros and cons.
^^ Thanks! I really thank everyone for their help! Chesapeake sounds awful familiar to me. I asked, cause I'd rather play with people near my own time zone. Less hassle, see? I thank you for helping me out, 'cause while I'm not good in PC talk...I'm also not good in geography and timezones! XD

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
XD Sorry! I'm 19. I played back in 2003-2004. lol I read a lot yesterday, but didn't realize that all those "games" I read about were add-ons! >< lol But, I do know that I miss playing so bad, it's not even funny...

And, I never knew that! I really never knew that they were add-ons! I really thank you for helping me with that! :)

YES! XD I recently got this laptop for my college classes, and hoped and prayed it would work with it. I was worried when I read the requirements that my PC wouldn't accept it! I thank you for helping me with this fact, too!

So, I will see this info when I get an account and log in, is that right? And, any decent broadband connection is fine. My dad says we have excellent connection. So, that's good. But, what does ms mean? And, anywhere 100 or below is good for it. Ok, I thank you so much! :)
You are very welcome ^^

2003-2004 would be the Age of Shadows era. So you would have had weapons and armour that showed you exactly how much damage increase it has and how much durability it has left. Plus Malas, Luna/Unbra, Paladins/Necromancers, Doom, Artifacts etc.

It was a great expansion imho.

If you were happy with AOS, you would be happy with it now as well :D

ms stands for milliseconds, as someone already answered. Ideally, you would want your ping to the shard to be around 100 ms or less. the lesser, the better. That way when you are on a mount, you can move at galloping speed without slowing down.

UO is playable up to 400+ ms (as in it won't disconnect you), but at that kind of lag, you won't even be able to run on foot without stopping for a sec every 2 steps. Very dangerous when hunting the more powerful monsters.

Safe travels!