• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can someone explain the difference?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So.. Ultima Online is rated T for teen supposedly. Or that was the reason we could not have the killer artwork of the Dev's head on a spike and had to settle for the watered down version of them. Aight.. fine. Whatever. I personally got a little ole ban when I first started playing because I was rp'ing an evil Necro/Mage and as I killed a Brigand female I jumped off my mount and emoted *R-words the still warm corpse*... and now in gen chat 90% of the time there are F-bombs dropped left and right, nothing but continual cussing and carrying on from the PvP folks who apparently ever grew up.

Before someone can get in the 'Well, just ignore the people talking that way. You do not have to see what they say." line... that same logic could have been applied to the Heads on a Spike and multiple other things as well. Folks who found it offensive could have just not double clicked on the things... Not to mention the last I checked in game profanity in UO was still against TOS/ROC... so what gives?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That art was impolite and uncomfortable.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So.. Ultima Online is rated T for teen supposedly. Or that was the reason we could not have the killer artwork of the Dev's head on a spike and had to settle for the watered down version of them. Aight.. fine. Whatever. I personally got a little ole ban when I first started playing because I was rp'ing an evil Necro/Mage and as I killed a Brigand female I jumped off my mount and emoted *R-words the still warm corpse*... and now in gen chat 90% of the time there are F-bombs dropped left and right, nothing but continual cussing and carrying on from the PvP folks who apparently ever grew up.

Before someone can get in the 'Well, just ignore the people talking that way. You do not have to see what they say." line... that same logic could have been applied to the Heads on a Spike and multiple other things as well. Folks who found it offensive could have just not double clicked on the things... Not to mention the last I checked in game profanity in UO was still against TOS/ROC... so what gives?
That might have been slightly OK in the US but the rest of the world told EA clean it up or leave.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
My issue is focused on the language in game. It is often very vulgar, inappropriate, and filled with cussing. I am fine with a bit of taunting and commenting on someones latest dirt nap. But there is no reason to go into what you did with or to someones, sister, mother, brother, or dog.

That's about all I need to say on that.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
That might have been slightly OK in the US but the rest of the world told EA clean it up or leave.
Ok, I understand that aspect. But wouldn't that same line of thinking apply across the board? As a parent I would much rather my kids (now grown) at the time see artwork as opposed to seeing F-bomb and worse laden communication between people.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scripting is cool, a constant stream of F bombs cool, explicit descriptions of sex acts sure why not, Name character Rumpled Furskin 14 years ago and get a name change to Peter and a mark on your account 14 years later :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I agree with you @Kylie Kinslayer its incredibly childish the kind of stuff said publicly in Gen Chat and when they are told to knock it off they tell you to STFU... and call you a Trammy..... whatever. But I still say that you should be put automatically in a Fel Spam channel where you can't leave if you abuse Gen Chat. If you still can't follow the ToS then you ought to be given the 3 day vacation... but we all know that sort of stuff is NEVER enforced anymore... so every shard has become TC pretty much where anything goes.

Rather sad but true.

As for the art kids watch The Walking Dead all day long so really? But it also is dependent on what Country you live in and what you can market there... remember there was some sacrilege or whatever attacked to cutting up a corpse and that's why we don't have bounties and human jerky anymore.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Not offended mind you but...
"r-words the still warm corpse"???
Really? What in the name of everything that is fun would it even occur to you to say such a thing?
I like you Kylie but that right there is some twisted ****. And yes I just said "****"

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not offended mind you but...
"r-words the still warm corpse"???
Really? What in the name of everything that is fun would it even occur to you to say such a thing?
I like you Kylie but that right there is some twisted ****. And yes I just said "****"
No argument outta me on that one Flutter. For me it was just absolute evil RP was all... but others around and a GM felt otherwise. I did my "vacation" and haven't repeated the error since though ;)

..but yeah.. I can get really sick and twisted at times, especially when it comes to fiction. Some of my writings years ago wouldda give King, Barker and Craven nightmares :eek:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
As far as rating goes: online interactions with other players is not rated
Yeah, I get that... but rating to a degree seems to set TOS/ROC kinda like it does in movies. Games with M ratings seem to allow a lot more language than those with T and under ratings when it comes to ROC.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basicaly: Rating dictates that certain words is not allowed to be used to obtain a teen rating, online games get around this by having a bad word filter, uo has one too (though noone use it), besides that it's up to the individual game developer how they wish to handle bad language, verbal assults etc.

To draw the parallel to movies, should rate the audience in the cinema too in that case. it's really unrelated.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, I understand that aspect. But wouldn't that same line of thinking apply across the board? As a parent I would much rather my kids (now grown) at the time see artwork as opposed to seeing F-bomb and worse laden communication between people.
You ask why it is/was not allowed and I gave you the reason as for me IMHO UO need to seriously clean house with all the **** talk.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally I agree with you @Kylie Kinslayer its incredibly childish the kind of stuff said publicly in Gen Chat and when they are told to knock it off they tell you to STFU... and call you a Trammy..... whatever. But I still say that you should be put automatically in a Fel Spam channel where you can't leave if you abuse Gen Chat. If you still can't follow the ToS then you ought to be given the 3 day vacation... but we all know that sort of stuff is NEVER enforced anymore... so every shard has become TC pretty much where anything goes.

Rather sad but true.

As for the art kids watch The Walking Dead all day long so really? But it also is dependent on what Country you live in and what you can market there... remember there was some sacrilege or whatever attacked to cutting up a corpse and that's why we don't have bounties and human jerky anymore.
That is the difference between adults acting like adults and children trying to act like adults. Adults do not need to cuss to be adults where children think they do. You will notice I never qualified those statements with a specific age.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That is the difference between adults acting like adults and children trying to act like adults. Adults do not need to cuss to be adults where children think they do. You will notice I never qualified those statements with a specific age.
Well I for one try to stay in Gen Chat to help people but it can be horrible at times and anyone that knows me knows I can curse enough to make a sailor blush if I die and get really annoyed with something... from time to time but I don't do it in Gen Chat...

And sadly the state of UO IMO of late is driving more and more decent folk away, but I think that change at this point might be too little too late for most people to think about returning.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I for one try to stay in Gen Chat to help people but it can be horrible at times and anyone that knows me knows I can curse enough to make a sailor blush if I die and get really annoyed with something... from time to time but I don't do it in Gen Chat...

And sadly the state of UO IMO of late is driving more and more decent folk away, but I think that change at this point might be too little too late for most people to think about returning.
Believe me when I say you would never have made me blush, USN Retired LOL

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How about the "your mama" jokes that don't use obscene words at all but are just annoying as hell?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
All in all I think a lot of people log on UO just to be able to get stupid without any consequences. In your every day life you can't act like a jackass no matter how nice it would be to let off some steam. Getting in UO and blowing up the general chat is a way people can do just that without having to worry about their jobs, or their kids, or whatever else they have on their shoulders at the time. So long as it's left there in the game and isn't taken outside the game it really doesn't matter all that much. We all have our "real" lives. If you're left thinking about some douchebag from UO outside of UO... that's when you have to admit that you're not having fun anymore and go find something else to do.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But there is no reason to go into what you did with or to someones, sister, mother, brother, or dog.
If you cant handle a "your mother..." joke, you need to repeat the 2nd grade & learn not to take things so seriously.
Half my material in Chat is covered in your sentence and damn it..... some of that $hi# is funny ! :D

Ghaval

Visitor
One of the first things I had to do as a returning player was TURN OFF GENERAL OR HELP CHAT! Ask a question on Atlantic and more often than not I was told where to stick it and to kill myself in real life. The rest was people arguing and insulting anyone that tried to send any messages. You can cuss all you want I do not care, but do not go into personal insults on everyone. I know several people that were on the verge of leaving because they ask a question and get flamed for it. THAT is the behavior that needs to stop or be dealt with.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main problem I notice in like atlantic general chat is that 9 out of 10 times, people answer back in an equally insulting tone to that of which they received, at which point it goes to the "takes two to tango" policy and one is not better than the other. and no actions is made to either.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
If you cant handle a "your mother..." joke, you need to repeat the 2nd grade & learn not to take things so seriously.
Half my material in Chat is covered in your sentence and damn it..... some of that $hi# is funny ! :D
I would say if you are still using that after the second grade then you have not grown up yet and may not qualify to play a teen rated game.

We all know I am not talking about second grade giggles around this.

It's not an issue of whether I can handle. The issue is its not appropriate for the online community that has a very wide range of ages

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Racial slurs and the r word can get you banned/suspended.

As for the teen rating, it was going to me Mature, that's why they got rid if the blood / chopping up bodies in the game.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And if you can't be ADULT enough to not say a "your mother" joke then maybe you need to go back to preschool.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I feel i need to re-post this. Even a 20 year old game had this available 20 years ago. And there is almost no game today that doesn't have this option.

It is there for a reason.

If you dont want to see obscene words, then please take a whole 11 seconds out of your day and check that little box and stop complaining.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I feel i need to re-post this. Even a 20 year old game had this available 20 years ago. And there is almost no game today that doesn't have this option.

It is there for a reason.

If you dont want to see obscene words, then please take a whole 11 seconds out of your day and check that little box and stop complaining.
Has nothing to do with not wanting to see things or anything like that has to do with acting like an adult and treating people with respect. And the lack there-of or inability to do that. Immaturity and acting like a know it all or completely trashing someone for asking a simple question is the problem and then screaming and crying when there is no one left to play with because no one in their right minds would play a game where they are constantly demoralized and ridiculed, will happen... and the doors will close and UO will be no more.

It doesn't take much to be mature. Infact I know several children that are far more mature than so many I've seen both in and out of game lately. In a world where bullying is being treated ever more harshly I think it's high time more places did as well.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give the trash talkers a break, lol they are just trying to compensate for every way they fall short IRL.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Give the trash talkers a break, lol they are just trying to compensate for every way they fall short IRL.
Thanks for the laugh but next time I wish I had warning almost splattered the screen with my Dew!

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After all these years people still don't know how to use the IGNORE function in options. No one should get banned for saying any cussing or **** talk in Gen chat. People should just put them on their ignore list. Whats the point of having this feature if you're going to ban people for what they say?

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could compile an hour long video of a certain PRO guild members rage rants at me in gen chat about my rl. As hilarious as it is, he gets away with that more in game than he would on here and id probably get banned for posting the video. Thank god the stratics admin don't police Gen chat. There would be no players left.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After all these years people still don't know how to use the IGNORE function in options. No one should get banned for saying any cussing or **** talk in Gen chat. People should just put them on their ignore list. Whats the point of having this feature if you're going to ban people for what they say?
Because such talk violates EA's Terms of Service for UO. See section 11 of the Terms of Service document that is linked to the uo.com website: http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section11 .

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I would say if you are still using that after the second grade then you have not grown up yet and may not qualify to play a teen rated game.

We all know I am not talking about second grade giggles around this.

It's not an issue of whether I can handle. The issue is its not appropriate for the online community that has a very wide range of ages
the use or lack of use of profanity and/ or vulgar language is not a measure of maturity. perhaps it is according to your sensibilities, but it is not a general measure at all.

and why seek to impose your narrow sensibilities (as compared and contrasted w/ the greater range that exists beyond your circle) on others? is the filter obscenity option not enough to keep your version of the world happily spinning?

some people are disposed to let others live freely insofar as they can... others cannot bear to allow others to even speak in public

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
"Hey guys, big news! Random people on the internet are frequently rude and don't seem to care about my personal standards of maturity! This is a new and tremendous problem that must surely be unique to UO! If someone doesn't solve it soon, it'll drive people away to all those other online games out there where random internet people are all cheerful and mature!"

Seriously, if there's anything that paints Stratics as a bastion of coddled know-nothing nongamers who've never poked their faces outside their little bubble, it's these intermittent threads where they tear their vestments over people using swear words and telling off-color jokes on the internet.

Cluebat: Chat in World of Warcraft was so bad they sold t-shirts making fun of it. But even with a billion dollars a year and a massive well-funded GM staff, they never actually solved the "problem" of people being immature on the internet. This is how it is everywhere, and nobody out there cares what you think of it.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Scripting is cool, a constant stream of F bombs cool, explicit descriptions of sex acts sure why not, Name character Rumpled Furskin 14 years ago and get a name change to Peter and a mark on your account 14 years later :)
And the name "Peter" would never sound the same no more... lol

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Hey guys, big news! Random people on the internet are frequently rude and don't seem to care about my personal standards of maturity! This is a new and tremendous problem that must surely be unique to UO! If someone doesn't solve it soon, it'll drive people away to all those other online games out there where random internet people are all cheerful and mature!"

Seriously, if there's anything that paints Stratics as a bastion of coddled know-nothing nongamers who've never poked their faces outside their little bubble, it's these intermittent threads where they tear their vestments over people using swear words and telling off-color jokes on the internet.

Cluebat: Chat in World of Warcraft was so bad they sold t-shirts making fun of it. But even with a billion dollars a year and a massive well-funded GM staff, they never actually solved the "problem" of people being immature on the internet. This is how it is everywhere, and nobody out there cares what you think of it.
Yet here is Spock on stratics complaining about people complaning...........