• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can I control a Fire Beetle without Taming

Coals McSteel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I have a bonded fire beetle to use with my Miner, do I need to keep taming (I will still have Lore and Vet) on the miner to control, heal, res the beetle? I plan on using the beetle as monster defense as necessary.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't need taming / lore to control it. To res it you will need vet. You can heal it with magery heal.

Carl

Visitor
As a defender it's surprisingly fragile, I use one with my miner (duh) along with a pack llama and a pack horse for long mining session, and a troll or earth elemental can kill my three pets without breaking a sweat ...

To defend myself I've gone back to a bit of Magery and Mind Blast (that spell doesn't need Eval Int, just a straight comparison between my INT and the monster's INT), while I invis/stop the pets ... that makes for some really bizarre battles with the miner running circles around the mobs while regenerating enough mana for that last Mind Blast, but it breaks the monotony of mining thousands of ingots.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My usual defence when mining is jump on the beetle and leggit tbh. - that and Carl's solution of mindblast. Rezing a miner's pet is one of the reasons NPC vet res was added to the game.

If you really feel the need for a defender when mining try a Vollem or Lowland Boura.

[anchor]s2s-dummy-link[/anchor]

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You can really train the beetles to be pretty good. All untrained pets are pretty bad. As they gain Dex/Wrestling they get a lot better. I like to get Dex up at least so they follow me faster.