• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can connect to UO in daytime, cannot at night...

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use Time Warner roadrunner and have for about 10 years in the same location to play UO. Have not had serious problems until now. Ping is about the same in daytime and night. (not wireless) CPU usage from UO is fine.

It began with freezing and lag at night , progressed to as soon as I saw the game screen connection lost.
TW workers said it was UO. He replaced my modem and I could connect that night. The next night it all began again. Lag, freezing, connection lost.

Anyone have a clue as to what is happening? It is like I just do not have enough something to stay on at night. They check signals and say they are fine.
I am getting no real help from TW other than them blaming UO. At&T is available and maybe Verizon.

I have another appointment with TW. Is there anything anyone knows I could ask the tech that might help us find the problem? Thanks for your time.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would suggest running a trace and poll
You can read how to do that here:
UO Stratics *New* | Server IP Addresses

if you post your results here, post between [ code ] [ /code ] tags (remove the spaces) That keeps them formatted and easier to read.
a trace and poll during the day and another when you're having problems should show where the problem lies.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did trace and poll (many at both times), it is about the same both times and very good. Thank you for replying though.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the lag specific to UO? Does internet browsing or other programs work fine when UO starts lagging?
First part is to try and isolate the problem when it happens.

1) Is it a PC issue?
Lotsa stuff can cause this, but luckily identifying this initially will be easy. Because this will affect all other applications. Just fire up a couple of applications and check if they become sluggish as well when UO starts slowing down.

Further isolation will require more tests - whether your PC is overheating, network card errors or faulty network cable causing noise (if you are using cable), someone using the phone line that you are connecting with (in case you are for some reason using dialup), antivirus software trying to get updates and actually running a system scan, whether other programs are hogging CPU or Network resources etc

2) Is it an internet connection issue?
To check, just fire up your browser and check if surfing has slowed to a crawl. If you know how, do a tracert to Google and save it to a file so that you can compare the speed and number of hops.

Cause can be faulty network card/cable, someone using your shared connection to download torrents (if you have unsecured WiFI enbled on your router/modem, your neighbors may be secretly using your bandwidth), signal interference from some electronic devices nearby

3) Is it a UO issue?
If it only happens to UO, check if it happens to both the classic client and the enhanced client.
Do a tracert to the server you play on, save the results and compare the results with results when UO isn't lagging. Scrutinize each hop.

4) Or, simply ask the TW technician to prove that it's not their connection but it's UO. Let them do the dirty work and convince you :D

Hope that helps!