• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can ANYONE tell me why they put in 50 stone items?

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if ANY of you DEVS think for ONE second it will stop scripters you should turn in your access cards to the game and go write code for Candy Crush.

This was one of the most pathetic things anyone has ever come up with.

Completely useless and just make some loot, and hunting even less desirable.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if ANY of you DEVS think for ONE second it will stop scripters you should turn in your access cards to the game and go write code for Candy Crush.

Yeah the part that I find funny is you hardly EVER see the 50 stone items if your killing higher end stuff..... Anything peerless level or even things like Coil hardly ever drop it that I know of.... I've never seen a LEGENDARY or even MAJOR with that negative mod either & that is the level of item that would be required for me to consider wearing a 50 stone piece which is funny....

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is one of the curses.
Brittle, unwieldy (high str requirement, think that is what is was called) , WEIGHTY, cursed, prized.

However it's bugged to not give the name of the curse on the items that are weighty or unwieldy

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is one of the curses.
Brittle, unwieldy (high str requirement, think that is what is was called) , WEIGHTY, cursed, prized.

However it's bugged to not give the name of the curse on the items that are weighty or unwieldy
its not a bug. was discussed somewhere with and kryonis said thats how its supposed to be.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's to keep overpowered t-hunters from being able to haul off all the loot in one trip.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
I don't mind if they keep adding those dull antiproperties, IF we just get a way to get rid of them! I'd be happy to pay 250k to have brittle, cursed or antique removed by an NPC Artificer or something.

Last edited:

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Yes, makes the whole game less desirable.....uh huh, you can exit stage left at any time.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "negative" properties are so useable now that we're really in a situation that could be gamebreaking. its very possible now to max out all "class" stat and even all stats. trade forums are hot right now, but 2 years? its gonna be dead. everyone will have everything. stats will be maxed.
whats next? new properties? the game wont last that long? i guess we wont know till it happens.

So, complaining about how heavy an item is, when its still very usuable should be the least of the UO worries. Honestly i cant believe brittle is 255 dura. i think 150 would have made a lot more sense for balance of game itemization.

The 50 stones is a negative, and being able to carry it isnt the point. its to have to pick and choose how many of these items you can work into a viable character. its not really even that much of a negative.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, considering the current gear, getting 150 Strength isn't hard. That gives you 565 Stone carrying capacity (625 if Human), meaning you can wear 50 stone Armor on all 6 armor slots, as well as a 50 stone 1 Hander and 50 stone Shield, for a total of 400 stones of weight in worn equipment, and still not cap out your carrying capacity. For PvPers, that tend not to loot gold off of corpses, this still leaves plenty of weight for potions/bandages/etc.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's not supposed to be good, you know...

Though I must say, one (or more) probably wouldn't kill a suit, even for a pvmer, especially if you have high str.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "negative" properties are so useable now that we're really in a situation that could be gamebreaking. its very possible now to max out all "class" stat and even all stats. trade forums are hot right now, but 2 years? its gonna be dead. everyone will have everything. stats will be maxed.
whats next? new properties? the game wont last that long? i guess we wont know till it happens.

So, complaining about how heavy an item is, when its still very usuable should be the least of the UO worries. Honestly i cant believe brittle is 255 dura. i think 150 would have made a lot more sense for balance of game itemization.

The 50 stones is a negative, and being able to carry it isnt the point. its to have to pick and choose how many of these items you can work into a viable character. its not really even that much of a negative.
Man I agree about brittle. It's actually a more of a BONUS on siege than it is a curse, since everything we wear is generally imbued, so if you can find a good brittle piece it just saves you a ton on PoF. :/

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to quickly pick up rings, jewels, gloves ... the 1-2 stone stuff, so I could carry a lot back home to unravel. Now I have to spend more time looking at the weights of everything I pick up. Not a big inconvenience, but since I can't figure out any benefits to the game at all from making this change, it's another 'improvement' that I could have done without when so many other things are badly in need of fixing.

Edit : Though it did just strike me, they deliberately added the ability to loot 'all' to the EC with a single mouse click - and now have made it a stupid thing to do.... ah well, since I play CC I'll stick with taking longer to sort through stuff and keep on being baffled by the lack of 'joined up thinking' that seems to be the future of the game.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CYA Yadiman, easier to just block people such as you. And you are a veteran more like :loser:

As for the post not one person can state or has stated why this was put in, it is completely pointless.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CYA Yadiman, easier to just block people such as you. And you are a veteran more like :loser:

As for the post not one person can state or has stated why this was put in, it is completely pointless.
it was put in as a negative property. just like brittle, cursed, prized, antique, 125 str req. the "point" was to add something to an item that would make it less desirable in some way.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I was there for the fire fields leveling magic resist in a guard zone. I was there before metal armor limited meditation. I was there when you could mana vamp vendors. Earthquake vendors to make em wander off. I was there for leather armor / harm spam. And I quit because of a combination of perm stat loss, trammel, and EQ pvp server / 3d world.

So yep, I'm a veteran. Not that you can see this. But this community loves to judge others on their stupid forum account. OP post is a prime example. If the OP was a visitor, it would have been flamed to hell and back.

yadiman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess bashing the devs is OK, but bashing OP gets your post deleted. So i'll copy the OP's sentence structure.

And if ANY of you OP/people think for ONE second that your forum account status means anything, you should turn in your access cards and go PLAY Candy Crush.

This was one of the most pathetic OPs anyone has ever come up with.

Completely useless and just confirmed my loss of faith for this OP/ community.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Some have stated why, you're just avoiding them. But if you're just here to complain I guess the whole question your looking an answer for is quite irrelevent.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like i said earlier, 50 Stone weight equipment is still completely usable, you can even wear a full set of it. You just can't loot a crapload of it and lug it all around.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Not sure I understand your point.....

I am referring, to where you say "everyone will have everything" ...... how on earth, I wonder, would that be bad ???

I mean, this is a game that has players vs. players fighting, how is that supposed to be done in a balanced way unless all players have all of the same quality gear and weaponry ???

When modifiers make a whole world of a difference in PvP, UNLESS all participants have the same quality equipment there will NOT be balanced fights and PvP WILL die out.....

Who enjoys losing fights ? I suppose not many....

So, that "everyone will have everything" is a GOOD thing for PvP in UO, IMHO, not bad at all !!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually it was answered, it's a curse property, they were put in to keep people from getting uberest gear all at once. Clearly you don't like this specific curse, but then again you aren't supposed to like them, they are supposed to be a trade off for the higher power of the item.
Also, they are not a big deal any time other than when you are out hunting for items, and you have to pay a LITTLE attention. I would prefer that there were an item tag rather than just higher weight just to make it easier to spot though.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It would be nice if the item with such a negative property had a different hue, much akin to brittle items, and cannot be repaired items before that property was scrapped.
They can fill your loot bag pretty quick if you loot one or two by accident on the EC and finding them within the rest of the loot can be quite time consuming.

Right now, the different hue for brittle plays in favour of it. When I see an item with that hue, I immediately hover over them to check the them before I even look at the rest of the loot. Brittle stuff now can be quite awesome.
The different hue for 50 stone items could play in their favour in such way, as well. And would make it easier for those who don't want to bother with it to ignore such items when looting.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure I understand your point.....

I am referring, to where you say "everyone will have everything" ...... how on earth, I wonder, would that be bad ???

I mean, this is a game that has players vs. players fighting, how is that supposed to be done in a balanced way unless all players have all of the same quality gear and weaponry ???

When modifiers make a whole world of a difference in PvP, UNLESS all participants have the same quality equipment there will NOT be balanced fights and PvP WILL die out.....

Who enjoys losing fights ? I suppose not many....

So, that "everyone will have everything" is a GOOD thing for PvP in UO, IMHO, not bad at all !!
well, if thats the case, slithers should have been a cleanup reward. i dont agree that a suit has to equal to be fair. it just has to be competitive. 15 de vrs 30 fire / kinetic isnt going to win someone a fight in 99 percent of cases.