• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Calador's Smithing Guide (Pub-16, Fast)

C

Calador

Calador's Smithing Guide (Pub-16, Fast)

This is my guide to GM'ing smithing fast and cheap:

< 35.0% - Buy from Blacksmith Guildmaster (Minoc has one)
35.0% - 43.0% ... Cutlass
43.0% - 47.0% ... Scimitar
47.0% - 52.0% ... Kryss
52.0% - 57.0% ... War Axe
57.0% - 59.0% ... Katana
59.0% - 70.0% ... Spear
70.0% - 100.0% ... Plate Gorget

it took me 4 days and 50k of ingots to GM smithing using this technique.

Important things to know

1) this system assumes your character has GM mining. The reason is because a GM miner will smelt items and get back a 60% return in ingots (so in effect, its not really 50k of ingots, but actually 80k of ingots when you factor in the smelted ingots you will use).

2) your UOAssist macro will look like this:

Use Item Type
Menu selection
Menu selection
Pause 2000
Use Item Type
Menu selection
Target Item Type
Menu selection

to set up your macro, you do this: before you start recording, make one item so your smith hammer has a 'make last' item in its list. now start recording. double click hammer, click 'make last', when the smithy menu returns click 'exit', insert a pause for 2000 (2 seconds), double click hammer again, select smelt, target the item you just made, click 'exit'. stop your macro and change the 'Use Item' to 'Use Item Type' (so it uses any smithy hammer in your pack). change the 'Target Item' to 'Target Item Type' (this is so any item of the type you just made will get smelted). Periodically, as you move from making one item to the next, you have to reset the smelt target type (eg. when you move from Katana's to Spears, you need to set your macro to smelt Spears instead of Katana's).

Too bad there isnt some kind of looping program that you could set to run your macro every 6 seconds. anyway, sometimes you wont have an item of the correct type to smelt and this will slow the macro down, but don't worry about this.

3) the items in your pack should be as follows: 16 smithy hammers and 2600 iron ingots. this will last for hours because when you factor in the extra 60% of ingots you get back from smelting (so its more like you have 4160 ingots in your pack).

What's this About Plate Gorgets?
Yes, that's not a mistake, make plate gorgets from 70% to GM. You will hit a 'wall' sometime in the mid 90's and you will think its because you are making gorgets. its not, you'll hit that wall no matter what you are making (even plate chests) - just 'power' through it stubbornly. Pre-pub16 guides for smithing are no good because they are based around powerhour. To gain well in skills with pub16 you need to succeed more (seeing you rarely gain on fails) and you need to go 'long and steady' (which is exactly what this technique does).

<font color=blue>[Edited by Nadia: Removed embedded reference to an illegal 3rd party program]</font color=blue>

D

DarkRanger

i agree gorget all the way to gm from 70ish. good idea calador posting this as the old guides dont work and ive seen many aspiring smiths getting frustrated wasting their ingots on tunics. Put this guide in the faq!

G

Heh, a little late, I sent a similar suggestion to the moderaters a while back...they just haven't included it in the smithing guide yet.

My system is a little different, because it involves selling back the plate gorgets after you've made them...you end up using alot less ingots this way...and you can go on all the way to about 107-108 with plate gorgets, then plate arms the rest and you'll make tons of surplus ingots by selling the gorgets and arms.

Right now I am working on some tests on exact returns.

btw, I've never hit any wall at the mid-90's...for all my GM smiths it was smooth sailing all the way through, with the usual bumps in the road here and there.

G

btw, <font color=red></font color=red> is an illegal program and is not something that is allowed to be promoted and discussed here.

If it was, then I'd recommend <font color=red></font color=red>, a genious program for automating UO.

<font color=blue>[Edited by Nadia: Removed program names]</font color=blue>

C

Calador

'Ray_Nitschke', im not sure if im allowed to really talk about <font color=red></font color=red> on stratics (waiting to hear from mods).

'Lord_Chaos' the idea of using gorgets towards gm came from you, i've just adapted the system a little. the reason being your system of selling the gorgets is very good if you have the time and arent in a rush to gm your smithing. but smelting the gorgets on you, you can run your char for longer and without the interuption of selling to a vendor or running out of ingots and having to go vendor hunting for them. i think what you call 'bumps' i call 'walls' same thing.

<font color=blue>[Edited by Nadia: Removed program name]</font color=blue>

G

No, you're not allowed to talk about illegal programs on Stratics. Been that way for aaaaages.

M

mephisto113

"1) this system assumes your character has GM mining. The reason is because a GM miner will smelt items and get back a 60% return in ingots (so in effect, its not really 50k of ingots, but actually 80k of ingots when you factor in the smelted ingots you will use). "
1) more than 80K actually, as you use 50K, smelt them back to get 30K, use them, smelt them back to get 18K, use them... and so on...
2) DO NOT smelt, that's a waste of resourses...
sit near ore vendors, sell what you make, buy ore with that gold...
this way you don't get 60% ingots back, more like 120 to 150% depending on what you are making...

H

Hornace

Buy ore for the 3 gp at Fel faction vendors, smith only armor parts: don't know below 50, I do ringmail tunics from 50 to 60, chainmail leggings from 60 to 70 and plate gorgets from 70 to GM. You will use a lot of ingots, but you will end up with some 500k or more profit when reaching GM.

And selling is much faster than resmelting: put 2000 ingots in an UOA hot sell bag, make the armor until all ingots are used, say vendor sell two times; everything is sold and you bring +10k gold to the bank. And no need for mining as well /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif. In case your char is new you might have limited carrying capacity, so you have to sell more frequently.

R

raveX

I'll agree with mephisto(and others) that smelting used to be a good idea, but with the frequency of 3gp/ingot faction vendors now, you get a MUCH better return just selling what you make and buying back ingots. Under 70 smithing you may only break even or even lose a couple hundred gold each time you sell, but once you get above 70, you should really start to see a profit.

C

Calador

'mephisto113'<blockquote><hr>

...more than 80K actually, as you use 50K, smelt them back to get 30K...

<hr></blockquote> good point, but you are still only investing 50k of ingots, no more. you may smelt that back into more than 30k of ingots, but im not going to try and calculate that amount. the point is, you just need 50k ingots to start with.
<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>
anyone is welcome to do this, you just want gm smithing as fast (because you are using time doing things other than smithing).

'Hornace'
ore vendors arent always running (especially on small shards like oceania). 50k ingots to gm smithing isnt a lot. if someone is looking for a fast guide to gm'ing smithing, this is it. if someone is looking for a profitable guide to smithing, this is not it.

'raveX' speed vs profit. your choice.

G

I do agree with you Calador.

The fastest way would simply be to buy an ample supply of ingots beforehand, have a beetle, load the beetle with ingots, go to a blacksmith shop and just smith away...then add plate gorgets to the Sales agent of UOAssist and you'll be selling them at 50 gorgets at a time...always only sell when you're loaded, because then you get checks.

Once the beetle runs out of ingots, you just go to the bank, restock the beetle and cash in the checks.

repeat.

This is amazingly fast. (for even faster, have 2 runes, one for each spot, and a few recall reagents, then recall to bank and back...saves the walk...but thats for people in an ultra hurry /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

T

Tinnian

I'm not saying I disaggree, but I got my scroll and anxious to make my way to legendary started busting out tunics. It's been about 2 years since I originally GM'd and just started where I left off before reading the update FAQ's and this post....

I started with 10000 ingots making plate tunics, using the smelting method I made it to 103.2 in about 2 hours with 55% - 60% of my gains coming from failures, and an overall gain rate which seemed slightly higher than the old PH gains. After smithing and resmelting id estimate my starting 10000 ingots gave me about 23000 ingots worth of attempts.

After reading the newer methods I switched to gorgets and burnt thru another 4000 ingots for about 1/2 hours with not one gain.... Well a little frustrated I swithed back to the tunics and got a gain on my first attempt... and it was a failure at that....

I know you were only talking about gaining up to GM, but from the FAQ and other posts it seems the same is being said about gains above GM.... But from what I've experienced first hand it seems that tunics still give the fastest gain.... Though I have no doubt the method as you described may be the most economical, I have doubts that it is the fastest.... any thoughts?

R

raveX

I got great gains after 100 skill making just gorgets. I would take roughly 10k ingots with me, then smith and sell till they were gone and got 1.0-2.0 every session. Would take me only 20-30 min till they were all gone. Did this 5 times and stopped making the gorgets at 106.6 skill. I moved on to plate helms last night, burning through 10k ingots and got another 1.3 in skill gain.

BTW, I'm kinda shocked that it took you 2 hours to get through 10k ingots making plate tunics, even with resmelting.

As far as gorgets being the fastest method, no it's probably not, but it is not far behind. If we both start at the same time, I reach the same goal a couple hours later, but I am also 400k+ richer. Is a few hours really that big of deal compared to an extra 400k+? Maybe for some of you, but not me. And, yes, from 100 to 106.6 I made over 400k in gold just selling back the gorgets.

R

raveX

(mephisto113)
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; 2) DO NOT smelt, that's a waste of resourses...
&gt;&gt; &gt;&gt; sit near ore vendors, sell what you make, buy ore with that gold...

(Calador)
&gt;&gt; anyone is welcome to do this, you just want(won't?) gm smithing as fast
&gt;&gt; (because you are using time doing things other than smithing).

Selling back is no slower than resmelting. In fact, if you want to get picky, I could say it's faster(by about 30 seconds). I say "Vendor Sell" twice and my pack is empty(UOA sell agent), and I'm ready to start making items again. To resmelt, I push a key and UOA smelt function takes over, 30 seconds later I can once again start to smith.

Not a valid argument.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Buy ore for the 3 gp at Fel faction vendors, smith only armor parts: don't know below 50, I do ringmail tunics from 50 to 60, chainmail leggings from 60 to 70 and plate gorgets from 70 to GM. You will use a lot of ingots, but you will end up with some 500k or more profit when reaching GM.

<hr></blockquote>

Do you mean the faction ore vendors? If so, what's the trick?! I'm at the ore vendor right now, with plate gloves and gorgets in my pack, and he's not interested in buying my wares at all... I can buy from him, but not sell to him.

D

dragoonhighelf

im at 96.3 and i just saw this.. how many ingots/how long will it take to gm from here? any estimates? also to the question above u buy the ore off the ore venders make stuff and sell it to the venders from what i hear

G

See, that's the problem -- I tried to do that, to sell plate gloves and gorgets to the faction ore vendors, but they won't buy them. "You have nothing of interest to me" or something like that. I mean, I use the context menu for selling... if that doesn't work, then what will?!! lol

Please try it out and let me know if they buy anything from you.

D

dragoonhighelf

no no dun sell to ore venders u only buy ur ore off them sell to the smiths around the shop

G

See, Mephisto113 made it sound like you sell to the ore vendors, which is why I was asking about that...

<blockquote><hr>

this way you don't get 60% ingots back, more like 120 to 150% depending on what you are making...

<hr></blockquote>

I was hoping that selling directly to the ore vendors would cause ore to spawn. On GL, there are lots of vendor campers and you have to be quick, diligent, and a bit lucky /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Maybe I should PM Mephisto, see if he meant sell to the smith NPCs or the ore vendors...

D

dragoonhighelf

i dun see how people get ingots with lots of people ther cause when i buy they drop to the floor luckily im usually the only one ther

G

I was on the other morning at 5:30 am (don't ask) and stopped by to try to buy ore. There were still two other people there, and the vendors were sold out, of course. Jeezus.

When I'm trying to buy from the vendors -- in bulk and quickly -- I use the 3D client. Using the features it has, I can buy all the ore (5 x 999) and get it in my bank account in under 10 seconds. I'm sure it pisses off the guys in 2D.

H

Hornace

Haven't looked into that thread for some time...

Isol:

Looks like you have found out that the faction ore vendors in Fel don't buy stuff but only sell iron ore.

Calador:

I'm quite sure, that the sell method is not very much slower but much more profitable compared to the melt-method. Other advantages are: You do not need to train mining to 70+ beforehand, and you can start with very limited ressources since you sell anything you make with a profit (given you buy your ingots at faction ore vendors) and therefore need only something like 10k gold for the first 3.3 k ingots to start with. The ringmail tunics you made out of this ingots will sell for around 12k gold. Buy the next set of ingots and continue. You will need time for buying the ingots and might have to pause the one or other time since no faction ore vendors are placed, but you can GM a smith with very low ressources in terms of gold that way.

In case you can afford ingots for 100k gold for the start (33k ingots), you need to restock your ingots supply around low to mid 80 skill (given your smith has started with 50 skill) and will have enough gold to buy something like 50 to 60k ingots. This will be enough until mid 90 and you have to buy again. Buy as much as you can, most probably this amount will be enough to GM. In case you do not need iron after having GMd the skill, you can sell all ingots with a 1gp profit each to NPC vendors. All in all, when you reach GM you will have something like 500k gold in your bankbox just from selling what you made and surplus iron ingots to NPC vendors.

And well, it's just nice to cash in what you made... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

L

Lazy Monkey

Maybe I am doing something wrong here....but how are you quickly selecting 999 ore in the 3D client? When i hold down on the '+' it counts up to 999 VERY slowly. What am I missing here?

J

Joe_Fission

If you're in the 3d client, you can hold Shift while double clicking the item you want to buy to automatically select the entire quantity available.

S

south fla guy

is my client just screwy? that never works for me..........i shift and double click and all that happens is just like holding down the +key on the menu :-(

G

You're doing that in the 3D client, right? If so, I don't know... it always works for me. :^/

G

hehe well Calador you said this isnt a profit making guide, but it is really, i mean all you do is replace the number of ingots and change the word smelting to selling and its :p, thanks for the info, my second smith is in the works, and this will work good for him /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

H

Hornace

When you want to earn gold while training a smith, you should only make armor parts. The ingots used / gold earned ratio is much, much better than with weapons.