• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Broadband speed

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, Just wondered, Ive read ina fewe places that oz is really bad for getting a decent broadband conenction. Any truth to this?

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you dont live in a main city or connecting suburbs you cant get the 'fastest' broadband or cable. Least in Vic anyway.

D

Dain

Australian internet is terrible, we have one of the worst systems in the world, I think the worst of the developed nations, it's scheduled for a complete overhaul soon I believe.

If you're just looking to play UO then yes there is sufficient connectivity in most places to allow you to play lag free, but not much beyond that.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Australian internet is terrible, we have one of the worst systems in the world, I think the worst of the developed nations, it's scheduled for a complete overhaul soon I believe.
^
this

F

Fink

^
this
Yeah K-Rudd's stated the national broadband scheme is on the agenda along with the road rail & port overhauls. It's part of the recent budget, to improve accessibility & transport efficiency (actual & virtual). Don't know exactly how soon it'll happen, one would assume :)eek:) sometime this year..

Linky wherein K-Rudd kicks Kochie's ass

F

Farscape

Yeah K-Rudd's stated the national broadband scheme is on the agenda along with the road rail & port overhauls. It's part of the recent budget, to improve accessibility & transport efficiency (actual & virtual). Don't know exactly how soon it'll happen, one would assume :)eek:) sometime this year..

Linky wherein K-Rudd kicks Kochie's ass
Doubt if it will get off the ground as long as the upper senate is controlled by morons
Unless a party liberal or labour can rule in their own right everything one supports the other does not its like sand castle wars lol:coco:

E

Elwood

tis true

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone play from on on the europa shard or is the lag too much to bear?

S

siyeng0

Does anyone play from on on the europa shard or is the lag too much to bear?
I have attempted to play on the Europa shard and my connection is fairly fast wireless. (Fast enough that I now play on an American shard with little difficulty.) The lag was bad, but it was manageable. Just as an indication, until about seven months ago I was on standard 56kps dial-up - yes, it still exists! - and played Oceania on that connection about as well as I play Europa with my current wireless. Even then I was able to do peerless and take part in events and so on (if I really put my mind to it.)

So yes, the lag from here to Europa is bad, but it's manageable. However! You sound like a PvPer, which I am not, and I have never tried to PvP on Europa; I imagine that would require a considerably faster connection.

K

Katlene

The further you get from the exchange the worse the connection and go to far and you just cant get dsl at all.
Some places dont have dsl full stop.

So yes some places are bad, but there are some places that are worse.

D

Dain

To participate in PvP you need a Ping under 70 (in my opinion), you won't get under 180 on any English speaking shard, or under 90 on any Asian speaking shard.

These might vary a bit, but this is based on what I have seen as someone with 12ms on Oceania.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To participate in PvP you need a Ping under 70 (in my opinion)
nope

most people in WA ping 70-120, NZ maybe a bit more.

Maximum to PvP with would be around 200, at 150 or above you would be limited to a dismount archer.

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am headin back to oz and from what i remember it was horrific lag trying to play on europa, only other option is to change shards and from what ive read oceania is not as active?

I wouldnt say i pvp really more pvd, player versus death...solo in fel with a stealth mage, hide hide hide o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am headin back to oz and from what i remember it was horrific lag trying to play on europa, only other option is to change shards and from what ive read oceania is not as active?

I wouldnt say i pvp really more pvd, player versus death...solo in fel with a stealth mage, hide hide hide o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
Xfer to oceania. It wont be worth playing europa from oceania. I generally ping 12ms to oceania. and i just check europa which is ping 375 atm which is quite slow even running on foot.

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back when we were in NZ, Lantrieve and I would ping anywhere from 66 to 130 to Oce with ADSL. Here in Melbourne its anywhere from 15 to 30 (except when, for some unknown reason, we got routed through Singapore), but I have to agree the network in Aus sucks you-know-what. Hate to say it, guys, but NZ is leaps and bounds ahead of you there... back home, if you can get a phone line, you can get broadband (and that was the case two years ago, when we left). I remember looking at a house for rent in Hawthorn, and after some investigation, the only net available to that street was dialup :coco:

F

Farscape

Back when we were in NZ, Lantrieve and I would ping anywhere from 66 to 130 to Oce with ADSL. Here in Melbourne its anywhere from 15 to 30 (except when, for some unknown reason, we got routed through Singapore), but I have to agree the network in Aus sucks you-know-what. Hate to say it, guys, but NZ is leaps and bounds ahead of you there... back home, if you can get a phone line, you can get broadband (and that was the case two years ago, when we left). I remember looking at a house for rent in Hawthorn, and after some investigation, the only net available to that street was dialup :coco:
I think Aust has a bit more land mass to cover and a lot less competition