• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Britain Town Hall

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Britain Town Hall meeting was held this weekend by Lady Pandora..Governor of Britain.
Many things were discussed... trade deals etc.. but an issue that is important to ALL the land also was discussed..
Britain really should have a jail..
As everyone knows the RBG has been actively recruiting now for some time.. both Town Regiments and the special Regiment being formed by The Crown..
Back in the day it was totally acceptable if one found a criminal on his land he could have his kids "string this miscreant up on yon tree and get back to your chores"...
Times have changed.. Now we are urged to bring said criminals up before the local "Law"...
This policy is going to require the larger towns to build jails or remodel existing buildings into holding cells..
How do the citizens feel about this? Do they want jails built in their downtown areas? And who's gonna pay for it? New taxes are always looked upon with ill favor.
This is an issue I think every town is going to face sooner or later... Britain just hit the lucky draw and has to deal with it first..
Guess the eyes of Sosaria will be watching how Britain deals with this sensitive issue..

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
As discussed in the governors forum I again vote no. There are already jail cells in the dungeon under the castle. There is no reason to disrupt the Ultima Lore any more than some people already have.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lock them up in Trinsic or Yew. They are already set up for such near do wells.
FYI no one can access the cells in the Britannia Prison of Yew. They are all locked out to us and we cannot use them.

Trinsic, is a big enough city to have its own jail and there are other cities with jails, so the Capital of the Kingdom should have one as well. A small jail for Britain is happening... we've already discussed it and the majority of the votes from citizens was AYE to a rework of an existing building for this purpose. A separate independent construction of a building was in fact VETO'd and most that did so also agreed that a small set of holding cells for the city is a great addition.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As discussed in the governors forum I again vote no. There are already jail cells in the dungeon under the castle. There is no reason to disrupt the Ultima Lore any more than some people already have.
As previously stated in other forums, the cells of Blackthorn's Dungeons are not to put prisoners in, they are to hold monsters, hence it being a dungeon.

I have read through every piece of history for Britain on Stratics, which has the most complete set of histories for the cities, and there is no reference to a specific reason to why Britain does not have a jail yet is the central point for one of the most consistent law enforcement organizations in all of UO across all shards --- The Royal Britannian Guard --- created by Lord British himself. And lore is meant to be expanded upon, added to, and grown off of ... its an ever breathing living thing. It should not stay static.

If we were keeping to lore ... Purple Guardians of Honor, Guardians of Light, and Knights of Yew would have never received their protectorate statuses over the three cities they did and that's something that has ENHANCED the players of this shard, specifically this shard, throughout many many years. Its not something I regret as a player... it was an addition to the lore made specifically for us on Catskills by Richard Garriott. That's fantastic!!! And Mesanna continues to add to our lore like that by adding small things with her EM program, in case you have not seen Commander Olivia Kanlocke's office in Castle British, that builds on our lore. I for one love the idea of an ever growing and changing environment.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Plus you know... The people who have spoken against it aren't even citizens of Britain. So, why be against it if it does not even affect you?

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind folks from all towns chiming in. But votes are for BRITAIN citizens only! I provide a Town Hall every two weeks for anyone to come and voice concerns, suggestions, etc. ALL are welcomed, but only Britain Citizens' votes count for me.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Plus you know... The people who have spoken against it aren't even citizens of Britain. So, why be against it if it does not even affect you?
Sosaria isn't really a democracy anyway so the "voting" point is moot.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
As previously stated in other forums, the cells of Blackthorn's Dungeons are not to put prisoners in, they are to hold monsters, hence it being a dungeon.
The very definition of dungeon is
A dungeon is a room or cell in which prisoners are held, especially underground.
For further investigation and to perhaps enhance your roleplay, here is some information on dungeons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon