• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring Back Power Hour

Bring back Power Hour

• Yes

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 61.7%

• Total voters

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Title of the thread says it all. More Incentives to log into the game on a regular basis for new/returning/older players.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Title of the thread says it all. More Incentives to log into the game on a regular basis for new/returning/older players.
Could work, depending on how long players have been gone. I can definitely see it helping for new characters as well. But actual content that isn't pointless (which is 99% of the game) would be a MUCH better option than this, IMO.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could work, depending on how long players have been gone. I can definitely see it helping for new characters as well. But actual content that isn't pointless (which is 99% of the game) would be a MUCH better option than this, IMO.
The majority of the content being added is end game and does very little for new/returning players who will be already overwhelmed with the amount of content, properties, skills, races, cities, etc etc etc that have been added to this game.

But something as simple as power hour, may restore some of the nostalgia to them and give them a reason to log in at least once a day.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The majority of the content being added is end game and does very little for new/returning players who will be already overwhelmed with the amount of content, properties, skills, races, cities, etc etc etc that have been added to this game.

But something as simple as power hour, may restore some of the nostalgia to them and give them a reason to log in at least once a day.
No... just NO....

Do none of you remember...
"Hey guys lets go do X"

"Oh no can't."

"what why?"

"Dude it's my power hour.."

"Yeah it's power hour... I gotta work my crafter man."

So you couldn't get a group together to do anything as everyone had their power hour the min they got on... for the next 4 or 5 hours... and now that we have 7 characters... could you just imagine?

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
And skill training in it's current form stops players from already doing this, how so? With SOT's and SOA's freely available, skill gain has never been so easy - more so than power hour ever was...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

And the majority of said end-game content is simply not worth doing. ML Peerless? Loot sucks. Crimson Cincture, Paroxy Swamp Dragon, and Mark of Travesty are worth it though. Exodus/Shadowlord/Shadowguard all have good loot, but Ararat drops aren't that great, Scrolls of Valiant Commendation usually sell well, and Shadowguard speaks for itself. Corgul/Scalis: Scalis has 1-tile soul forge, I'm not sure off the top of my head what Corgul has. Same with the Stygian Abyss bosses (except Slither from Medusa and Tinker Legs) & Navrey (outside Tangle.) I've seen some decent Harrower loot, but by & large, I'd venture to say that most Fel Champ loot SUCKS (although they do have Powerscrolls & a couple replicas are worth the effort.)

If anything, there should be a bump in the quality of loot on the "lesser" bosses & "high-end" non-boss monsters (i.e. named ML monsters), especially if done in Fel (if not Tram-exclusive) - I'm not saying it should match the quality of the endgame content (Exodus/Shadowlord/Shadowguard), but it should be better than it currently is. For that matter, I don't think even monsters like Putrefier are worth it - the quantity of loot is undeniable, but you have to spend so long doing it to get anything decent to find anything with decent quality. For that matter, they should fix Luck, because, to be perfectly honest, I don't think it really does ANYTHING.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No, don't ever bring back Power hour, you have SOA, that mainly do the same, but let you choose the time and SOT are easy to get too

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll pass on a new power hour as well, it simply got in the way of people playing the game.

However, I might be amenable if it were a player toggle-able hour of enhanced gains (sans an additional SoA boost) which reset at server up instead of the god-awful "24"-hour timer. Meaning the player says/does something to initiate it at time of their choosing.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll say yes IF they let us choose when to turn it on. Just having it turn on when you logged in was crap.

A newbie dungeon worth anything would be nice too since they ruined Despise.
Heh.. same idea :p

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll pass on a new power hour as well, it simply got in the way of people playing the game.

However, I might be amenable if it were a player toggle-able hour of enhanced gains (sans an additional SoA boost) which reset at server up instead of the god-awful "24"-hour timer. Meaning the player says/does something to initiate it at time of their choosing.
I'd be for this.

Skills should decay over time, that would be fun. Pets should age and eventually die. There should be no such thing as pet bondage. Especially if it's available as a liquid in the store.
Gear and houses should rot and decompose. Let's free up some castle plots.

Broadsword should try to concentrate on making UO more fun.
Crafting armour today basically means... abusing Excel. Excel calculations are not the kind of fun I'm looking for in a game.

I know that my suggestions never will be taken into consideration. Nor would they be able to resurrect UO. But I really don't understand most of the game changes at least since UO:SA. Balance here, nerf there... where is the fun, though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Skills should decay over time, that would be fun. Pets should age and eventually die. There should be no such thing as pet bondage. Especially if it's available as a liquid in the store.

Crafting armour today basically means... abusing Excel. Excel calculations are not the kind of fun I'm looking for in a game.

I know that my suggestions never will be taken into consideration. Nor would they be able to resurrect UO. But I really don't understand most of the game changes at least since UO:SA. Balance here, nerf there... where is the fun, though.
Fun? You think having to continually grind out crap is "fun"? What warped sense of reality do you live in?

First off... IRL yes pets die... fact of life... but it's heartwrenching and in a world where YOU don't die... if you wanted to get "technical" than all you humans should already BE dead. No one lives 500 years. Save Elves and the immortal.

Secondly... there are castles around today that are still maintained and fully functional 500+ years later... and will be here yet likely if still maintained in another 500+ years IRL so the idea that a lived in castle would just rot away is ridiculous. Also... well built armor from that period has also been maintained and yes is still around today... as well as swords, halberds and many other weapons of old. Granted they aren't used and abused everyday but I imagine if they were and were maintained they YES would still be just fine today... It's called repairing it... that's part of what Blacksmiths do... IRL and in-game.

Nothing is fun about grinding.

If you want to resurrect UO first it has to actually DIE and then it should be reborn in full 3d. And it'll have to stop being subscription based and move to the pay for every tiny thing they add model as most "new" generation players have the attention span of a gnat and don't want to pay for anything at all.... no matter how good it is. And they don't stay at anything long. Most want to "beat" or "win" the game and move on... but since there is no end to UO it really doesn't work for that.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

I could see some degree of skill deterioration... but it would probably have to be slow.

People losing castle plots (or any house for that matter) due to some type of auto-decay system would push a lot of people out of the game. Pets dying... I mean, you could then make the same argument about your characters as well. That probably wouldn't go over well.

I give you credit for proposing some unique ideas though. I concur that it shouldn't take an Excel sheet to have to put together a suit, but I don't have any solution to fixing that either.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I think to encourage new players , that new accounts (similar to what WOW did) should allow one character slot either advanced or given an advance character token....but as far as what you are saying I agree with Merlin and Malagaste

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First off... one of the MASSIVE problems with UO of late is the lack of any sort of new player experience...

There is NO tutorial at all if you start in the CC client... the EC has some god awful thing that sort of teaches but mostly just confuses people...

Many gamers today are used to games like WoW and FF that pretty much stick a nose ring in you and lead you around with a series of quests to get you from one level to the next... but those are leveling games.

UO while being one of the best Sandbox games ever lacks anything to direct a player...

Often new people start off using one of those seriously outdated and obsolete templates at the character creation... NO ONE plays that way anymore... those have gone the way of the dodo ages ago...

Anyway top that off with a lack of communication, lack of direction and lack of advertising UO will never again be what it was. There is no way to bring people back to a game filled with a bunch of greedy soloistic players who honestly would rather insult people and give them hell and scam them than help anyone...

And while yes I do know a great many people that do like to help... chances are slim that new or returning players will find one of those before being berated by the other crowd. And then folk wonder why we live in a ghost town...

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

At any rate to bring people back you need to bring back pride and a sense of community... and stop FEEDING THE GREED.

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fun? You think having to continually grind out crap is "fun"? What warped sense of reality do you live in?

First off... IRL yes pets die... fact of life... but it's heartwrenching and in a world where YOU don't die... if you wanted to get "technical" than all you humans should already BE dead. No one lives 500 years. Save Elves and the immortal.

Secondly... there are castles around today that are still maintained and fully functional 500+ years later... and will be here yet likely if still maintained in another 500+ years IRL so the idea that a lived in castle would just rot away is ridiculous. Also... well built armor from that period has also been maintained and yes is still around today... as well as swords, halberds and many other weapons of old. Granted they aren't used and abused everyday but I imagine if they were and were maintained they YES would still be just fine today... It's called repairing it... that's part of what Blacksmiths do... IRL and in-game.

Nothing is fun about grinding.

If you want to resurrect UO first it has to actually DIE and then it should be reborn in full 3d. And it'll have to stop being subscription based and move to the pay for every tiny thing they add model as most "new" generation players have the attention span of a gnat and don't want to pay for anything at all.... no matter how good it is. And they don't stay at anything long. Most want to "beat" or "win" the game and move on... but since there is no end to UO it really doesn't work for that.
Uo did die and was resurrected it's called shroud of the avatar. Check it out!

Eh. First of all - stop the personal attacks.

All I did was: I woke you up. This thread made me think everybody in here in this thread is asleep. Much like UO - you look around and the whole world seems asleep. Even the players, if you bother meeting any of them. So if you don't like the word "resurrect", take a "wake up" instead. Wake up UO!

Actually I agree with you that the never ending grind is any fun. Don't take everything I said word by word, please. It's more like a "read between the lines, too" thing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Uo did die and was resurrected it's called shroud of the avatar. Check it out!
What @Dot_Warner said... really... Why people think he's some genius he isn't I'll never know.

Eh. First of all - stop the personal attacks.

All I did was: I woke you up. This thread made me think everybody in here in this thread is asleep. Much like UO - you look around and the whole world seems asleep. Even the players, if you bother meeting any of them. So if you don't like the word "resurrect", take a "wake up" instead. Wake up UO!

Actually I agree with you that the never ending grind is any fun. Don't take everything I said word by word, please. It's more like a "read between the lines, too" thing.
I wasn't personally attacking..... I asked a question...

The never ending grind multiplied by a factor of 10 and then some since every single thing added in the last 2 or 3 years has been yet another grind... is getting old.

Sick of it... find a new way for me to get stuff DEVs... something that is actually fun and rewarding for my effort... not disappointing, aggravating and never ending...

I've been awake... I was screaming from the top of my lungs on the largest mountain I could find that I wanted things to change... to bring back the community that I'm watching slowly fade away before it's too late! But it falls on deaf ears.

I've begged, pleaded and begged some more till the tips of my fingers hurt from pounding the keys in a futile effort to get the gods of UO to listen and to get the folk at EA to let this game fly free once more and to give this game the care and love that it deserves... but again... it falls on deaf ears.

I've been fighting the fight for years. But was shackled by pom pom wavers who thought that giving the DEVs nothing but rainbows and unicorns was the way to tell them that we care...

Meanwhile one by one things have been destroyed and torn down and turned into a soloistic greed fest of grinds and gifts and drops and insanity... and all that was here and was great is dying. Meanwhile some grow rich not only in-game but out of game and so many others have become brokenhearted... left or just keep going through the motions in the hope that what we lost will somehow magically return.

But while the game continues down this path that its on... those days will never return... And I'm not talking about Pre-Tram or any of that... I'm talking about when the community got together and made magic happen... When they banded together and defeated true wonders like the Void Shadow Demon... or Blackthorn (now the retconned doppleganger)... and things... when it wasn't about getting some item "worth" something... when the worth of doing what you did was the fun and the friends... when worth was measured in a good times... not gold and dollars.

That's what I miss more than anything... and those days are gone... if I have been "sleeping" it's because I've recently realized that they will NEVER be again.

I give you credit for proposing some unique ideas though. I concur that it shouldn't take an Excel sheet to have to put together a suit, but I don't have any solution to fixing that either.
Thank you very much for this highly appreciated reply. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that you disagree on many or most of my pretty... strange suggestions. My ideas, however, are not unique. Houses usually always decay if you stop paying for your account right now :) So we... kind of... have that already.
----------------------

Fixing the excel sheet problem for runic re-forging and all that jazz? Well, for one, everything should be in game, not on excel sheets.
One suggestion for a "fix":

Introducing Blue Prints

- Identify players who are adept at creating good or even extraordinary suits and weapons.
- Some of them enjoy doing the crafting - even WITH Excel. Let them do it.
- Let them craft blue prints.
- A blue print is a "recording" of a suit, including artifacts and crafted items.
- The blue print will have a maker's mark, so you always know you're talking about Merlin's "basic LRC mage suit"
- The blue print cannot be simply copied, but it can be sold to other players (maybe 10k for a simple suit, 75m for a high end suit?)
- Those other players need to come up with all resources, skills and artifacts needed to craft the very same suit
- With the help of said blue print the buyer can go on crafting a copy of Merlin's basic LRC mage suit
- Maybe a special house addon and / or a special NPC is needed to make use of the blue print
- The original crafter may add a usage counter for each blue print: "Use once only", "use unlimited times", "use 5 times max"

--> The original crafter can gain profits from his design - by selling blue prints
--> The buyer can craft his own "copy" via the blue print - WITHOUT the need for his or her own Excel sheet
--> The buyer still needs all skills, resources and artifacts (if applicable)
--> You don't change the current system, you only make it more accessible
--> You indulge player interaction because a crafter crafts for OTHER people, sells things to OTHER players

---------------------

Pet age and pets dying of age:

Yeah, well, this is not going to revive UO on it's own. I just wanted to shake up a few thoughts.
I did not mean to make anyone feel miserable because of this!
Please don't think I am killing any of your pets. I'm not one of the devs, so I can't really do that to you! Worry not! :-D
Well, pets maybe never died of age, but at least the bonding thing is kind of lame considering the fact we can hardly hoard more than maybe 10 pets. I mean, come one, we see a lot of billionaires in UO, why should a billionaire be unable to pay rent and food for more than 10 pets? Kind of doesn't make sense. Also, if you roleplay a rancher or shepherd, you might feel a strong need for a couple of hundreds of sheep or cattle. Impossible in UO. In 2016. Weird!

Oh and skill decay:
We had that in UO in the beginning, didn't we. (I joined after that but before skill locks were introduced).

Malagaste, you talked about GREED. And about castles in real life that last 500 years. Combine this: Why should the same person own said castle for over 500 (game) years? It will make returners yawn to see "Gosh, I will NEVER be able to compete with this guy who played for 15 years. Even worse, I'll never own a castle on Atlantic."
This, of course, shows kind of greed. But castles and valueable items are kind of the ongoing achievements in UO, aren't they.
To conclude, I don't think Malagase and I actually disagree too much on things. We just have very contrary believes of what could "wake up" UO.

One more thing @MalagAste :
I've seen returners and even new players leave the game - fed up (!) with all the cute help they got from other players. "Here's a house", "Here's ten armour suits for your sampire", "Here's 10m gold", "Here, grab this event item and sell it for 140m".
They were kind of fed up with how 'easy' the game is, how basically everything was served for free.

Be it new player experiences, be it end game addictions... I think there should be one single paradigm for UO: fun.

Right now I see too many paradigms: Balance, balance and overly complicated stuff like the dreaded runic re-forging.
My point of view seems very limited, you say? Yes, I can see that this is probably true. But I insist on my personal paradigm for a game, for this game in particular. It should be "fun", it really should.

What @Dot_Warner

The never ending grind multiplied by a factor of 10 and then some since every single thing added in the last 2 or 3 years has been yet another grind... is getting old. .
I couldn't agree more.

I don't agree 100% with everything you said in this post, but actually I agree with most of it. Let's buy Broadsword, shall we?

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I concur that it shouldn't take an Excel sheet to have to put together a suit, but I don't have any solution to fixing that either.
I kinda disagree with Excel sentiment. It does not take Excel to put together a suit. You can even put a pretty good one together without spreadsheets. However, it you want an top end, highly optimized suit, yeah - Excel would help (although I know a crafter who gets away with using flashcards instead). I see nothing wrong with that just as I don't see a problem with PvPers and top PvE players dissecting damage formulas. This is what gives UO depth, but it's also completely optional.
I also like the suit crafting system in UO because every suit is unique. Moreover, it takes real player skill to design and craft one. Compare this to a typical MMO crafting set up where apart from grinding your skills, all you need is ingredients to devise a cookie-cutter top end suit. IMO dumbing the crafting system down would be a disservice to UO.

Well, real skill to put together a suit? Mh, I disagree. It feels more like a grind to me. You'll need more endurance than skill.
Even if I were to agree that it requires real skill, I'd still call it a boring and very mundane task.
Flash cards aren't any better than Excel to me. I want to have a system in game ready. A system that guides me, a system that makes playing the game actually feel like playing a game.
I am sure people can be proud of their insane suits, especially if it took a whole month to plan out, gather resources and possibly artifacts.

My solution is: Let me copy your suit then.
Not buy it off you, I have all the resources myself, I have the artifacts and I have trained all UO skills needed.
I don't want to buy it off your hands. Those days are gone because everyone is a legendary blacksmith today.
I want to copy your suit.
My personal copy may bear your name: "railshot's magical bunny suit 2016".
I will "proudly" wear a copy of your armour and I'll pay you lots for the blue prints. I'll even let you decide if I can use those blue prints 5 times or only once.
You did the hard work and you had a lot of fun doing so. I skipped the "ugly" part of crafting a suit and paid you for that service.
We both profit.
Even worse, my copied suit might be brittle all over so it won't last as long as your original suit. Strong magics prevent that. I'll have to buy your blue print again.

I know that some of you will say "if you don't live through the hell of the suit creation grind fest, you don't deserve a top notch suit!"
Well, you are entitled to this point of view. You totally are. Looking around in UO - and even here on Stratics - I can see extremely little participation, though. Medium house plots empty in Luna on some shards. UO feels silent nowadays, asleep, almost dead.
I am sure of this one thing, though: I think everyone wants some of the candy - and if that's what helps revive the game, I believe Broad Sword should give it to them. Maybe not as durable, because brittle. Maybe not for free, either: In case of said armour suits, force them to train all skills needed and have all resources, tools and artifacts ready just as if they would have to do it from scratch. Just make it more accessible.
Just think of the raised garden beds - AND HOW MUCH PEOPLE LOVE THEM. Tending plants in UO was such an evil grind fest. People used unapproved 3rd party software for that all over the place. Then they introduced raised garden beds - and people love them.
I think they went a step too far, though: I think it's good that those raised garden beds require little to no attention. But I don't understand why they don't use up resources. They should. They should have added a container that needed to be filled with bottles of water, health potions, poison potions. They left that out. It's a pity they did. They should have added a requirement to add the resources.

Look at items that have come back available like the Harvester's blade. I am pretty happy there is SOME new way again to get this item. I think Broadsword already took some steps into the direction I feel would be right for UO: Make it more accessible. Making Harvester's blades accessible again is one thing. Dread War Horses would be nice to have, too. I know it's cool to stand out from the crowd and have that one dread war horse that is left on the shard. It's cool to have the one and only top notch armour suit that cost 500m gold and took 3 months to craft. If that makes you happy, ok, I understand.
But you'll have to understand that other people have the same desire to own a top notch armour, have the same desire to own a dread war horse.
They don't deserve it becase they weren't there? Because they didn't spend 115 hours to craft the armour suit?
Ok, point taken.
But don't be surprised if they leave you alone. Leave UO.
That is just the other side.
They might be called GREEDY because they don't want to endure the suffering that suit creation means to them.
Call them greedy.
But don't expect them to stay in UO if you keep all the rewards to yourself.
Don't expect them to stay in UO if the same people keep their castles for 16 years and they are meant to shell out $ 2000 to buy it from one of the owners.
Don't expect them to stay in UO if everything is such a grind fest that takes dozens or even hundreds of hours. I do mean everything at the moment, (almost) everything feels like an unsatisfying grind to me. A lot of things should be more accessible and a lot more rewarding. It doesn't necessarily mean instant gratification like in a Free 2 Play game. That's disgusting.
But even though they aim hard at balancing PvP, they left out the other kind of balancing:
Balancing grind versus reward.

I can see that you're one of the players who enjoys this armour crafting grind fest. You are not alone!
I am kind of happy some people enjoy this, so there is a faint chance I can reach out to one of you and buy an armour suit.

But I am not alone either with my disgust for this kind of excessive grind.

To add, even people who enjoy the excessive suit creation don't necessarily have the time to do it for everyone. Even if they've been offered a 1 bn gold extra, I've seen them decline the offer. Not because they don't enjoy crafting suits. But because they don't want to spend all their valueable time on this. You can only craft so many suits in a month even if you play 5 or 10 hours a week.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I just made a new character and it took me the whole of 5 days to max 6 skills out at 120. No need for a power hour anymore
GSG is fine.

Took me less than two days to grind out a new wrestle parry Mage with the exception I need to finish parry from 90 to 110.

Not sure why they nerfed Jhelom pits for that. Female fighters now do damage and none of them spawn in the pit which a slight annoyance.

Aside from this, there's no need for power hour. They'd be better off either making alacrities more abundant or increasing the time on one to 30 mins.

You add power hour in on top of GSG these will be pretty pointless.

If you decide to do power hour in lieu of GSG, well that's just a bad idea.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
GSG is fine.

Took me less than two days to grind out a new wrestle parry Mage with the exception I need to finish parry from 90 to 110.

Not sure why they nerfed Jhelom pits for that. Female fighters now do damage and none of them spawn in the pit which a slight annoyance.
Get a two handed weapon (any will do if you don't have a weapon skill, otherwise pick one that isn't of your weapon skill) and hit old haven. Get a few zombies and skeletons on you and enjoy your fast parry gains.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Get a two handed weapon (any will do if you don't have a weapon skill, otherwise pick one that isn't of your weapon skill) and hit old haven. Get a few zombies and skeletons on you and enjoy your fast parry gains.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.
I always preferred 9 sheep.

If you have bushido, you hold a 2 handed non-skill weapon.

Without bushido, you hold a shield and a 1 handed non-skill weapon.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Old "Power Hour" was just an hour... I like more the new version
+
, it's much better :thumbup:
I think they should put back the ability to use both at the same time for the super duper gains! A 5.0 pink + an alacrity would be anywhere from 10-25 points of skill.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I always preferred 9 sheep.

If you have bushido, you hold a 2 handed non-skill weapon.

Without bushido, you hold a shield and a 1 handed non-skill weapon.
I'll have to see how this works. The Pitts are still pretty quick up to around 85 parry. After that the gains are horrendous.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Doing this tonight, wayyyyyy better than jhelom pits.

The gains are almost ridiculous in comparison.

Thanks again!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Doing this tonight, wayyyyyy better than jhelom pits.

The gains are almost ridiculous in comparison.

Thanks again!
With two alacrities, I went from 0 to 120 in less than 3 hours doing this before. It is most effective.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
With two alacrities, I went from 0 to 120 in less than 3 hours doing this before. It is most effective.
That's what i did is an eat an alacrity. the difference is just disgusting lol

i dont even want to say how much its went up and i havent even finished the first alacrity.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, real skill to put together a suit? Mh, I disagree. It feels more like a grind to me. You'll need more endurance than skill.
Even if I were to agree that it requires real skill, I'd still call it a boring and very mundane task.
Flash cards aren't any better than Excel to me. I want to have a system in game ready. A system that guides me, a system that makes playing the game actually feel like playing a game.
I am sure people can be proud of their insane suits, especially if it took a whole month to plan out, gather resources and possibly artifacts.
Your 10th suit of the same type can be boring or mundane. Not boring at all when you are learning how for the first time. Not boring when you are trying to improve on your last creation and experimenting with possibilities in *gasp* Excel. And it's very exciting when your creation comes together and it's better than what you made before.
It is grindy. Making thousands of pieces looking for the right combo is very grindy indeed. However, we are talking about a top end suit. Any top end, rare content is grindy, simply because if it was not, it would not be rare. As I said before, if we define a mythical uber suit that requires many many hours of grind as 100%, you could probably get something on the level of 80-90% with little to know grind. In this context I don't mind the grind, because it rewards supreme effort with supreme reward.
Your idea of selling copies of a suit is an interesting one, but I don't see it as a viable alternative to a crafting system. Do you have anything specific to suggest? Most MMO's crafting systems are very easy and quick once you "trained" them. The difficult part is farming the ingredients (grind again). In that regard, there is no crafting to speak of. It's a primitive boring system with a cookie cutter end product. Some MMOs try to add some sort of a mini game to it. You still get a a cookie cutter end product, but now the process has become annoying.

TL;DR: UO's system is not perfect, but it's the best of the ones I've seen out there.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Parry and Resistance are the two fastest skills to 120... They can both be done in just a few hours if you know what you're doing.

I highly recommend that everyone building characters acquire themselves a suit of Virtue Armor!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Parry and Resistance are the two fastest skills to 120... They can both be done in just a few hours if you know what you're doing.

I highly recommend that everyone building characters acquire themselves a suit of Virtue Armor!
I finished parry in less than an hour all the way to 120 with Beas suggestion and eating two alacrity scrolls.

Will be doing this to a few more characters.

Meltedmantis

Adventurer
terrible idea. It's not a incentive, it annoying. and it's annoying for "new players". it sucked pre-10 years ago. it would suck now. Skill gain is the fastest that it has ever been. I don't understand the supposed "need" for this at all.