• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bring Back Balloons!

G

I was discussing this with some friends.
I'm not sure I understand any longer why the friendship web needed to be changed. Keeping up links is the biggest pain in the game I hate it more than skilling.

To think this came about because of people being afraid of having enemy links?
I know that in the past I may have agreed that this was system was the best course of action but my position has since changed.

Not only do I think they should bring balloons back, but I think the limit should be lifted to either have way more, or unlimited friends and enemies.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Bring back black gloves!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!
But I'd like some black balloons

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Bring back black gloves!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

NAW...let's bring it into the new millenium..

I think we should be able to throw a cup of water in their face like on Sims2.

OMG that would be soooo worth it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Bring back black gloves!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would totally do that... I just can't take the interacting anymore.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Bring back black gloves!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would totally do that... I just can't take the interacting anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO...let me rephrase....One cup of water in face= enemy.

I vote yes on the balloons too!!! Pleeeezzzze!
I'm sick of the 'linking' emotes too....serenade, worship, blow kiss,serenade, worship, blow kiss,serenade, worship, blow kiss, over and over...OMG!! We need balloons.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

TTL

And...I wish that friendships would not dwindle to ZERO. Just because we haven't kept in touch doesn't mean our friendship should show it never happened. Let it read 1 or something low, but losing the data on how long we've known each other is awful.

I'd love to have balloons back. Black gloves...they were the source of so much griefing that I'm not a fan of them. There were griefers who thought it fun to "collect" enemies with certain sims, especially those on the top of the 100 list, so it was like having a bounty on your head. Griefers tend to be the most obnoxious and persistent of players, so nah...I vote against gloves. Why put out bait for the players we least want to attract?

D

Dogsoffour

Yes! The new friendship web was the worst update ever brought to the game. The new web show no signs of friendship but of who hosts their skill house most often and serenades everyone who walks in.

Even if you did link with actual friends, it would be completely lost in the huge webs. I don't bother trying to keep friendships up with other people. The constant work involed sucks every bit of fun out of the game. I can barley keep 10 outgoing frienships to get my interactions.

The webs get huge and cause me and others to lag. I refuse to even open friendship webs now because I'm so likely to crash. Some sims have up to 2,000 links on their web. MANY who they have no idea who they are, let alone talked to them. The comments on the web are almost all "retrieving..." because of the huge size of the webs.

Not to mention the role play aspect that is brought to TSO by the enemy links. Whether some people like it or not, a huge number of subscribers are associated with mafias or familes that would love to see this role play friendly system brought back
What I wouldn't give to be able to tag another sim again

D

Dogsoffour

<blockquote><hr>

No thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point...

G

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

And...I wish that friendships would not dwindle to ZERO. Just because we haven't kept in touch doesn't mean our friendship should show it never happened. Let it read 1 or something low, but losing the data on how long we've known each other is awful.

I'd love to have balloons back. Black gloves...they were the source of so much griefing that I'm not a fan of them. There were griefers who thought it fun to "collect" enemies with certain sims, especially those on the top of the 100 list, so it was like having a bounty on your head. Griefers tend to be the most obnoxious and persistent of players, so nah...I vote against gloves. Why put out bait for the players we least want to attract?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dali, I'm going to go along with what Dogs is saying. I played tag once or twice, but it wasn't really something I dug doing, however that does not mean that other people did not enjoy it.

I'm trying to figure out where things went wrong for aspects that I personally enjoy within this game and the "OMG I'm scared of meanies" mentality that many have is something I have a problem with. I don't want to play in.. who used to call it "Candyland"? Bo I think. Either way I don't want to be at war with the world, but I don't want some homogenized game that is easy peasy for everyone.

Thats what this game has become. One thing I notice within game is the formulas for everything. "You dance I'll blow kisses we'll be friends faster."
"When we get to the new city we'll pool our money together, skill buy some jam tables and within a week we'll have a size 8."

If we were to get red balloons back, why not the gloves? B/c its negative?
It doesn't make any sense.

The one thing TSO needs to get rid of is the soccer mom mentality.

G

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at it this way....

You'd make an acquaintance maybe, speaking in RL terms, by handing them a balloon, but the interactions we have to do to show friendships actually take time, representing the time it takes to form close friendships, which to me is what 100/100 represents. If anything I wish it wasn't so EASY to get to 100/100, or that you could only gain 10 points in a calender day or something, because as it is the friendship web doesn't mean what it should mean, it represents how long someone has to sit and click interaction after interaction, and then most likely they never see the person again until they have to get in touch to 'freshen up' the link.

The only way I'd be in favor of bringing back balloons is if gloves/enemy links were done away with all together. Yes, some people thought it was fun to collect enemy links back in the day, but that was because of the 'top 100 lists', it was easier to be the Most Hated than the Most Popular. Now that we will be doing away with top 100s in the new game, I see no constructive reason to need enemy links, only the griefing tool that was the reason they were done away with for to begin with.

So no, I'd have to say I don't want friend balloons back, or if they do come back they shouldn't be called 'friendship' balloons because that is not a representation of the time it takes to really cultivate a friendship so much as the interactions are. Maybe a compromise of this would be if somehow the coding could be set up so that chatting with the person, either in room chat or IM could build the friendship, since that IS really how friendships are formed, by getting to know the person you're talking to....but I don't know if it's possible in the coding to set that up, only our glorious saviors (dev team
) could tell us that.

I quoted Dali though because she does bring up a good point...if I had a best friend...in game terms someone that I had 100/100 relationship with, and say 5 years went by between conversations for whatever life circumstance happened, when I finally talked to them again, our relationship probably would not be as close, the 100/100, and maybe not even 50/50, but I doubt I'd forget I ever knew them, which is what 0/0 seems to mean to me. Maybe there could be a way that we could have 10 'friendship locks' as we had friendship balloons, that would allow us to pick 10 people with whom we have links that we NEVER want to see them disappear. Have it be the same as skill locks, based on earned time of the account rather than age of the sim, with 10 being the maximum, the catch being that locks can only be 'swapped around' once every 30, 60 or 90 days, whichever....to really make them mean something and prevent people from swapping the locks around so that none of their relationships decay. At first I was going to say make it where you could not unlock a link that you'd locked, but I thought twice about it because I didn't know how many people would actually go for that.

Anyway, that's my opinion

I

imported_DutchAmerica

You mean kinda like a BFF's list? ("best friends forever")

G

Yeah Carrie, for a while with the current friend web I thought we should be able to earn locks for friends as we do for skilling. But.. .Ijust want balloons back.

Even if balloons only friend us and then we have to interact to get up to 100/100... I could deal with that.

But I still don't see what the bfd is about enemies.

I

imported_Spacey

YES, balloons please! Just expand the number of balloons we are allowed to give out, or better yet...let there be no limit. Maybe crazy greening serenaders will stop lol. Those that are really concerned at helping your sim with energy and social will continue. But if there is no top lists, guess it won't matter anyway.

I

imported_corpatortis

I think balloons should bring people into your circle (as opposed to everyone you meet) and then you can still have the 100/100 that is needed for actions like proposal or to properly do the flying hug.

unlimited, yes. or ways to earn more.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

But I still don't see what the bfd is about enemies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have two takes on the enemy tag thing.

Personally, I found it annoying and no bfd. I have yet to meet a glove thrower who was anyone I wanted to associate with, though. (Maybe I didn't hang with the right griefers!) The griefers who pursued me were juvenile, annoying, and persistant to the point that I dreaded logging into the game at times. It was like having mosquitos at a picnic. At a certain point you just want to leave.

It was necessary in those days to have someone talk to your avatar when you were landing, because it was then that you were most likely to be gloved. You would land at a place to find out three or four griefers had tossed gloves at you before you were "conscious." Fun?

It was often asked why we have to give permission for other interactions but not gloving. It does beg an answer.

While I find griefing to be juvenile and annoying, I can attest that people left the game over it. While I would log off and avoid the game intermittantly, I have known players who left because they were hounded out of the game by griefers, or were people for whom the emotional toll was not worth it. I know some of you will belittle others for having emotions tied to the game, or you'll say they are weak, but not everyone is as strong and healthy as you are.

Griefing is a big issue in games, and we cannot discount it in these days when attracting players is a major concern.

I

imported_SimTripps

I miss balloons... but if I remember, weren't we limited to only give out so many? Alrighty then... bring back balloons, and make the number UNLIMITED too! lol..

L

legscroft

I am for my friendship web being more of an indication of who my friends are rather than being made up of random serenaders.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am for my friendship web being more of an indication of who my friends are rather than being made up of random serenaders.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here. I have people who are on my web that I'd rather not have as friends, I'd rather have them as enemies. Why pretend? Right?

And yes Dali I do understand your point, however, this is only because people are afraid of the red link there.
Its just a red link. At the end of the day we are still alive, and our prospective employers will not hold this red link against us.

Its just a red link.

I

imported_corpatortis

The red link issue was because you only had 10 balloons and each gave you an interaction. Each red link minused you because apparently 10 friends + 1 enemy = 9 friends.

mafematiks

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here. I have people who are on my web that I'd rather not have as friends, I'd rather have them as enemies. Why pretend? Right?

And yes Dali I do understand your point, however, this is only because people are afraid of the red link there.
Its just a red link. At the end of the day we are still alive, and our prospective employers will not hold this red link against us.

Its just a red link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy for you to say glibly, and easy for me to discount, as well, but the reality is that many players do not take it so lightly. There is a real problem that you and I cannot wish away just because we take the thing less seriously than others.

This is why other games, even WOW, have different flavors. Many players don't like the feelings generated by being put down, be it a red link, ray gun or atomic cellular vaporizor. If TSO wants to attract and keep players this is not a concern you or I should brush off.

There was a reason the devs removed the gloves. It was a major source of customer complaints. The people who played only to give out gloves created an atmosphere of hostility, similar to the aggressive mafias. Do we really want to take a feature that was hated by so many and add it back to what is being touted as the "new" game? Do we really want to add a feature that panders to adolescents when the devs are working to create a game to pull in potential adult EA gamers?

Give me "atomic wedgie" interaction, and maybe "snap towel," and that will be enough immature fun for me.

Dali "Sissy fight" Dalinza

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Its just a red link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy for you to say glibly, and easy for me to discount, as well, but the reality is that many players do not take it so lightly. There is a real problem that you and I cannot wish away just because we take the thing less seriously than others.

This is why other games, even WOW, have different flavors. Many players don't like the feelings generated by being put down, be it a red link, ray gun or atomic cellular vaporizor. If TSO wants to attract and keep players this is not a concern you or I should brush off.

There was a reason the devs removed the gloves. It was a major source of customer complaints. The people who played only to give out gloves created an atmosphere of hostility, similar to the aggressive mafias. Do we really want to take a feature that was hated by so many and add it back to what is being touted as the "new" game? Do we really want to add a feature that panders to adolescents when the devs are working to create a game to pull in potential adult EA gamers?

Give me "atomic wedgie" interaction, and maybe "snap towel," and that will be enough immature fun for me.

Dali "Sissy fight" Dalinza

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I do understand that Dali, but with lists and bonuses aside, it wasn't a big deal. If those things are no longer an issue, then would the actual red link be an issue.

The red links are still in game, and still easy to put forth.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

I'm not sure I understand any longer why the friendship web needed to be changed. Keeping up links is the biggest pain in the game I hate it more than skilling.

I know that in the past I may have agreed that this was system was the best course of action but my position has since changed.

Not only do I think they should bring balloons back, but I think the limit should be lifted to either have way more, or unlimited friends and enemies.

[/ QUOTE ]
There were more problems with the balloon system then just enemy links. Players used other players just to get their balloon. Someone would think they made a new friend only to see the balloon popped a short time later so they had an outgoing friendship only. Also some people paid for their balloons so they were not real friends. The other abuse I saw was when owners of popular houses pressured their guests to give them balloons. The old system was not good.

That said, I dislike the current friendship web system also. In fact why do we need a friendship web at all? Don't you know who your real friends are?

I would like to see them do away with the friend and enemy lists entirely. Nobody needs hundreds of fake friends. Social interactions that are now earned by how many friends you have should just be given to you. That way when you are interacting with someone it is for fun and not for maintenance. I also think that your job rank should be based just on skill not on how many friends you have. Forcing players to make and keep friendships they may not want just to stay ahead in the game never made sense to me. It was OK for the offline game but I never thought it translated well for online.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The red links are still in game, and still easy to put forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those little itty bitty red lines, pshaw, they are not enemy links. Those are indications that the avatar was AFK when someone was trying to get to YES.

To make a red link now takes lots of effort. With gloves, you just find someone who is landing or otherwise not paying attention and blast them with a glove. Making a red link now takes as many interactions as friending. You have to work up a sim sweat and say "YES" to many eye pokes, pile drives, and other interactions in order to establish a true enemy.

G

Each of the friendship webs have their own pro's and cons, but I certainly appreciated the balloon method much better.

The biggest problem with the current web is not the serenading sims... the problem is that, if you even just arrive on a property, and have interactions with NO sims, every sim on that property still appears on your web. That's why the webs are so huge.

I liked the idea about handing out balloons to initiate the friendship, but needing to interact to create that 100/100 friendship... That way, every sim on the face of the sim planet does not appear on your web unless you want them to.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
There were more problems with the balloon system then just enemy links. Players used other players just to get their balloon. Someone would think they made a new friend only to see the balloon popped a short time later so they had an outgoing friendship only. Also some people paid for their balloons so they were not real friends. The other abuse I saw was when owners of popular houses pressured their guests to give them balloons. The old system was not good.

That said, I dislike the current friendship web system also. In fact why do we need a friendship web at all? Don't you know who your real friends are?

I would like to see them do away with the friend and enemy lists entirely. Nobody needs hundreds of fake friends. Social interactions that are now earned by how many friends you have should just be given to you. That way when you are interacting with someone it is for fun and not for maintenance. I also think that your job rank should be based just on skill not on how many friends you have. Forcing players to make and keep friendships they may not want just to stay ahead in the game never made sense to me. It was OK for the offline game but I never thought it translated well for online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its usually the comments I like... Its sweet. But I guess the facebook ap could put an end to that.

And coz you are right as well.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Each of the friendship webs have their own pro's and cons, but I certainly appreciated the balloon method much better.

The biggest problem with the current web is not the serenading sims... the problem is that, if you even just arrive on a property, and have interactions with NO sims, every sim on that property still appears on your web. That's why the webs are so huge.

I liked the idea about handing out balloons to initiate the friendship, but needing to interact to create that 100/100 friendship... That way, every sim on the face of the sim planet does not appear on your web unless you want them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best idea yet......

Why not combine the two? Have balloons to start the friendship then have the interactions to get the relationship to 100/100. I too think that landing at any lot and sending time there automatically makes me friends with every player that was on that lot, this is a farce. If i'm skilling i might be friendly with the owner/roomie or a friend or two in the house, but not every tom, ****, and harry that comes and goes while i am there.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

[quoteIts usually the comments I like... Its sweet. But I guess the facebook ap could put an end to that.

And coz you are right as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
You know Jackiee, I never thought about Facebook because I do not use it but I think you hit on something there. Why not just get rid of the in game friendship web and move it entirely to Facebook. That way if you enjoy social networking you still have it but you don't have to bother with it if that part of the game doesn't interest you.

G

Ah but you need a certain number of friends to succeed in the job tracks. That was one of the problems with gloves - griefers could get you demoted by slapping you with a glove and reducing your friend count.

Polly

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

Ah but you need a certain number of friends to succeed in the job tracks. That was one of the problems with gloves - griefers could get you demoted by slapping you with a glove and reducing your friend count.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
In my earlier post I said I thought that your job rank should be based just on skill not on how many friends you have so I would make that change.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather see new things brought into the future of TSO/EA Land rather than a revamp of the past failures.

F

festrmentmagnet

I agree: no to anything that automatically gives an enemy link.

I

imported_TheCookieFamily

Maybe just, once you become 100/100 with a Sim, it automatically locks!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

The balloon system was even more stupid than the current system. It was too limited and provided too much fuel for griefers playing the enemy tag game with innocent victims.

The current system doesn't work much better because we can gain friends from total strangers without ever getting to know them. I have had friends pop up on my web and I never even remembered meeting the the sim. I'm sure it happened in a skill house that I was afk in too long.

Using interactions to gain friendships is a game. Re-linking those friendships is also a game. I don't mind the friending game so much. I would however like to control who gets on my web and who does not. A control that would allow me to de-link with anyone I chose would be great. This would help me to maintain who on my web is an actual friend.

I do like the idea of "locks". Perhaps we could earn friendship locks in order to lock some of those friendships and not have to constantly maintain them due to decay, we could improve the friending "game".

G

*ttl*

I havent had time to reply to this thread, but Ive been keeping up in it. Friend webs are of course long a source of a good debate and over the years sometimes my opinion has changed.

The old system sucked because of the points mentioned, limits, griefing, demotions, etc. For me it was the limits, who should tell me how many friends I can have?!?! Then there was the competition of who could get in the inner circle of the most popular sims...pfft.

The new system was great at first in comparison. I enjoyed having a reason to keep up with my friends and I spent alot of my time flitting around IH visiting people. Some of them I got to know alot better because of this and are still close friends today. Of course then there was the "friend ****" issue when players discovered they could friend or enemy someone without permission. That was one of the most incredible threads ever to hit CH...oh the drama!! Now its all about serenading in game, this disturbs me greatly. I guess thats why I prefer needs free lots now, I never got to show off my jammies anyway.
So the 2nd system ultimately didnt work very well either.

A while back in the pub we discussed this with Greg. He told us he would like to see the web change so that we may choose who we friend, dont friend, enemy, ignore. I believe he said with a checkbox. He also wanted to see the ability to ignore someome and all their sims and all their friends. So if you have a griefer you could do away with the whole gang. We were most impressed with this concept.

So take heart folks the devs are listening and this one they allready thought about. Maybe Simone has notes from that night, I think she was there.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

*ttl*

I havent had time to reply to this thread, but Ive been keeping up in it. Friend webs are of course long a source of a good debate and over the years sometimes my opinion has changed.

The old system sucked because of the points mentioned, limits, griefing, demotions, etc. For me it was the limits, who should tell me how many friends I can have?!?! Then there was the competition of who could get in the inner circle of the most popular sims...pfft.

The new system was great at first in comparison. I enjoyed having a reason to keep up with my friends and I spent alot of my time flitting around IH visiting people. Some of them I got to know alot better because of this and are still close friends today. Of course then there was the "friend ****" issue when players discovered they could friend or enemy someone without permission. That was one of the most incredible threads ever to hit CH...oh the drama!! Now its all about serenading in game, this disturbs me greatly. I guess thats why I prefer needs free lots now, I never got to show off my jammies anyway.
So the 2nd system ultimately didnt work very well either.

A while back in the pub we discussed this with Greg. He told us he would like to see the web change so that we may choose who we friend, dont friend, enemy, ignore. I believe he said with a checkbox. He also wanted to see the ability to ignore someome and all their sims and all their friends. So if you have a griefer you could do away with the whole gang. We were most impressed with this concept.

So take heart folks the devs are listening and this one they allready thought about. Maybe Simone has notes from that night, I think she was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I have with greg's suggestion is that it becomes just a choice of preference and not a game at all. Again, they are taking the "game" out of TSO instead of improving the game. "Friending" is a game, just like "Skilling" is a game, just like "making money" is a game.

If we take away making money, skilling and friending there is even less game to play.

G

I agree with you Gracie, how about we have to option to check the box after we friend them to lock them for our more solid relationships, others decay normally or if we have some reason or another to take other action?

J

JRock

If you bring back the balloons, don't make having friends a requirement to advance in jobs. I hated that whole fiasco that involved people asking you to give them a balloon so that they could advance in their jobs and then the next day break your link. That was not cool at all. No thank you for me as well.