• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Breath of the Dead vs Dread Horn?

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOGuide recommends using a Breath of the Dead against Dread Horn (because of the 100% Life Leech). Any thoughts on this?

Would it be a decent weapon with which to attempt solo'ing the DH?

T

Turdnugget

Someone asked this before if it's viable in any PvM... it used to be... but not anymore. It's too slow.

What template do you plan on using? You gonna do it in a group or solo?

You can get better weapons from bronze runics than the BotD.

If you're in a group with a healer, it's not as big of an issue w/what weapon mods you have... however, doing it solo, most will say you need HSL/HML + vampire form from necro (sampire template) or wraith form using Curse Weapon for life leech (whammy template)

It all depends if you're grouping it, or solo.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm hoping to solo it and I have some decent weapons (I think). Mostly radiant scimitars with lots of mana/stamina leech. I'm still trying to find a good ornate axe with good mods including SSI.

Cool beans, thanks. I was just curious about the Breath of the Dead because I used to have one but tossed it. ;)

Btw, I have a whammy/sampire (no soul stones.. so I just stick with spirit speak as opposed to anatomy, resist, etc.)

Lately I've been playing in vampire form using curse weapon, enemy of one, and spamming lightning strike.

T

Turdnugget

Ok then. You should be good with a radiant scimi w/HSL/HML/DI etc etc...

Just practice on higher end creatures before you do DH so you know what kind of tactics you're gonna use =)

T

Turdnugget

Connor, that too =)

Didn't wanna go into detail, as i'm sure he's read other threads already talking about the pros/cons of each style template.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To learn my character, I first played in wraith form for a month. Now I'm playing in vamp form. I think my personal preference is vamp form so far. But I have 55% Mana Leech on my sword so... :D
Yeah low to mid 50s is nice, especially on a hard hitting 2 hand weapon. Just pack the SSI and as long as you have mana leech/stamina leech on it you are golden. Hit lower defense and hit lower attack are nice as well, but not necessary. Personal preference would be hit lower attack with the other mods since you can already have gear on your person that would have hit lower defense. But...not hit lower attack. Most underrated mod on a weapon in my opinion.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree there. Hit Lower Attack makes all the difference in the world.

In fact, the one and only time I ever soloed Rend was with the arctic death dealer (I was in wraith form too), which is a slow weapon with hit lower attack. Once HLA kicked in, the only time I had to regroup was from hit breath attack.

Without an HLA weapon, I never could defeat Rend.