• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Book for gems

K

Kazar

Anyone know where I can get the book to learn how to mine gems?

EvilIan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't need a book. Once you have 100 real or modified mining skill you start pulling them.

K

Kazar

There is a new option on the shovel and pick axe that reads "Set to ore and gems" Like the option that reads "Set to ore and stone" and you had to read a book to mine stone. So since I already can mine the big gems I'm thinking this has something to do with the new SA.

K

Kazar

You are suppose to be able mine regular gems I think. When I click on the option it reads "You have not learned how to mine gems or you do not have the skill" And I've been GM for years and mining up the big gems since they came out. So I figure there has to be a book.

M

miss uo

Not sure what the new option is mining tools, but you can still mine gems as normal. I had to go check it out after reading this thread.

S

SpaceYourFace

I just used the book on my miner and it lets you mine normal gems. Went out for about 15 min and I got about 50 to 60 regular gems. The reason they did this is because you need massive amounts of normal gems to train imbueing. Im guessing that by the time you get to gm you will have used up thousands of gems.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is fantastic!!! Thumbs up to the devs. It takes me forever to loot regular gems... no more!

S

SpaceYourFace

You get it in the Garg City in Ter Mur. At the blacksmith shop.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can get the book off the blacksmith in Ter-Mur for 10625 gold, it teaches you to mine normal gems, giving crafters another option than buying them for imbuing.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there might be a bug with this.. due to space i have only 95 mining, use the +5 gloves.

i got and read the book and started mining gems, took my gloves off and seem to have lost the option in the menue.. back to just ore, sand, digging graves..

seems like i just wasted 10k on a book :(

T

truth10k

I don't have the SA add on, can I just pay someone to go and bring the book out for me, or is it something that has to be done only in the Garg city?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You should only get the option for gems, sand and stone to work with the gloves on. If you can (or have been able to) dig any of them at under 100 total skill, you're bugged.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no i got it figured out, it wasnt a bug.. it seems if your under 100 and use the +5 gloves to get to 100 you can mine gems.. the problem is, if you take off the gloves for any reason the default goes back to plain ore..

you gotta go in and move it back to ore and gems.

D

Drawde2

Yes, you still get special gems when mining for gems. You usually get ore, but occasionally get a single gem instead, random type.

And yes the Fel bonus works on the gems as well. I get the "single gem" message, but get two gems there.

A

Alexi

Yes, you still get special gems when mining for gems. You usually get ore, but occasionally get a single gem instead, random type.

And yes the Fel bonus works on the gems as well. I get the "single gem" message, but get two gems there.
When you say you usually get ore, presumably you usually get ordinary gems, then get a single special gem occasionally?

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you get the regular ore per swing, then about 1 in 10 it says you get a glistening gem, then about 1 in 30 or so you get a special gem.