• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Site Feed Black Watch : Mandatory Monster Bashing

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Saturday 27th May 2017, 5 pm EST / 10 pm GMT

“I appreciate the report, but there are more important issues at hand than a pile of rubble, loyal knight.” King Blackthorn told the messenger standing before him “You should also know that particular pile of rubble only holds unpleasant memories for me. I have no desire to do anything other than letting the grass grow over it, and the birds and creatures of the wild make their homes in it.”

“Aye Sire, I understand.” said the highly-polished knight “But it is not just the ruins of your old fortress that is a concern – you know of the tribesmen who live nearby? They are imperilled, just as our own citizens. Perhaps more so. Gigantic beasts have been seen prowling nearby. Not minions – something far worse.”

“Ah. I see. ” The king was thoughtful for a moment, then wrote something on a scroll, sealed it, and handed it to the knight. “The Black Watch are gathering for festivities this eve. Hand the commander this, and tell him not to allow them to drink too much. They will need their wits about them.”

“Aye Sire.”

The knight bowed and turned, steel clanking on stone as he left.

What you need to know!

• This is a Black Watch meeting.
  • There will be a significant role play element to it.
  • The first half of the event will be in a custom house.
  • The second half of the event will not be in a guard zone.
  • Please refrain from beating each other senseless until the second half.
  • The designs of the Black Watch uniforms will be revealed.
  • Those who have made application to join the Black Watch will receive their first sashes.
  • Please Note: Sashes are character bound. This means that. only the character who first wears a sash can ever wear that sash. You will want to keep yours, because if and when you are promoted, you will need to present your sash, so it can be updated. If you cannot present yours at a promotion ceremony, you will lose all points gained during your current rank, so it is probably worth obtaining a clothing bless deed.
  • After the ceremony, we will be heading to Ilshenar to investigate an incident in the Savage village.
  • This event will not feature a drop, but you do have a chance at paragon chests.
  • Gates will be made available from the usual places.
  • Announcements will be made by town criers.
  • Reminders will be broadcast in General Chat approximately one hour before the event starts.
Apologies that this event did not publish earlier – the soulless minions appear to be having a party inside the printing press.​

Continue reading...

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So how do we petition to get a sash / be a member? I will be available at the time but I'm not sure how to do the petition part?

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks Tanager
You're welcome! Spread the word - the more folks who join up, the more fun we all have. I hope that people can join later, and just get their sashes for the first time when others have earned promotions or something along those lines, but I don't know.

Is this Black Watch business something for other shards, too? Or just Siege? I read something in passing about sashes, but with a different name and I wonder if they are related.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
You're welcome! Spread the word - the more folks who join up, the more fun we all have. I hope that people can join later, and just get their sashes for the first time when others have earned promotions or something along those lines, but I don't know.

Is this Black Watch business something for other shards, too? Or just Siege? I read something in passing about sashes, but with a different name and I wonder if they are related.
In the early days of the EM program, there was the forming of the RBG (Royal Brit Guards) and sashes were passed out for that on all shards. Also today most EM when newly assigned to a shard will pass out sashes, with name and year. Now the Black Watch is only on Siege as far as I can tell. As to Black Watch being the same as the RBG, that will be up to the direction the BW takes in regards to its jobs, one question some will have is I am an OLD member of the RBG, how does that affect being a BW member with regards to rank?

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
one question some will have is I am an OLD member of the RBG, how does that affect being a BW member with regards to rank?
That sounds like a great question to ask before the ceremony! If you have an old RBG sash, perhaps bring it (CBD'd!) to the ceremony? It would be a shame to let such history fade into the past without honoring it in some way.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just my opinion, but they could have at least let the sashes remain blessed here, They're not game breaking, but what's the point of having them when they're going to sit in a chest out of fear of losing them. I can't even carry around my stinking music box because of this ridiculousness.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Just my opinion, but they could have at least let the sashes remain blessed here, They're not game breaking, but what's the point of having them when they're going to sit in a chest out of fear of losing them. I can't even carry around my stinking music box because of this ridiculousness.
IDoC battles.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yes, but it is old. Maybe it is like the Trinsic Roses? I read somewhere that newly claimed ones are not blessed anymore, but I have not looked into it.

MusicBox.jpg

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if you leave a book, how do you actually 'pick up' the sash? Only asking as my timezone is rarely going to be able to make any event :(. By the time USA and Europe are covered I am on my own little island!

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I believe the awarding of the sashes and later on the promotions are done during an EM event, which we are probably expected to be attending. But it cannot hurt to e-mail @EM Kincaid and ask if it might be possible to pick up your sash after the fact. Or maybe there can be multiple ceremonies on the same day or different days? EM Kincaid is a busy fellow, and I'm sure you are not the only one that won't be able to make it to this ceremony, but it would be a shame for folks to be left out of this particular long-term event just because of time zones.

Last edited:

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Tonight we were shown the new Black Watch Barracks, and members of the Black Watch received their sashes or promotions. Several presented sashes from the Royal Britannian Guard, which were converted to Black Watch sashes and honored with the additional tassel of (veteran).

BW House.jpg Sashing.jpg

We were also shown the Black Watch uniform, and I made careful study of these as a Black Watch crafter.

BW Uniforms2.jpg

Afterwards, we were invited to join the commander for food and drink, but a messenger cut him off. The village of savages in Ilshenar were under heavy attack, and needed the Black Watch to rise to arms! I think that perhaps the savages did not understand that it was not WE that were bringing these wretched mechanical creatures down upon them, for they kept attacking us! Despite this however, after much blood and death, whatever dark portal into the abyss these creatures poured from closed and there were no more. The ruins of Exodus were too close at hand to call a coincidence.

Thank you @EM Kincaid for some lovely RP and a nice hunt!

EM Kincaid

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves!

Here are a couple of pictures that I took while the blood flowed deeply.

2017 05 26 Black Watch battles.png

2017 05 26 Black Watch.png
Thanks to all who were able to come along!
To those who could not make it, I will try to arrange an award ceremony at a later hour sometime in the near future.