• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Black ops comercial... over the top?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
[YOUTUBE]Pblj3JHF-Jo[/YOUTUBE]

This comercial has been a very hot topic. News, sports all of it. Is it demeaning to soldiers? Are the media types too sensitive?

What are your thoughts? i would be very interested in what the gaming culture thinks.

K

Kiminality

I personally don't see it as any more demeaning to the armed forces than the games themselves making war into entertainment.
If anything, the advert somewhat hangs a lantern on the fact that the people playing the game (and other such games) aren't soldiers.

Edit: I actually quite appreciate the creative approach to it.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Xanth de Orlig

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked it.

Guy at the end cracked me up (ice cream driver? butcher?)

People tend to take things to seriously ...

As far as war into entertainment ... I can see your point .. but it doesn't stop at games ... movies, books, toys ... it's the world and it is what it is ...

I remember playing with sticks for guns when I was knee high to a grasshopper ... also getting in trouble for trying to watch Hamburger Hill when I was not much older heh

For better or for worse, war has been a part of entertainment for many a moon .. and I don't see it stopping any time soon ...

not sure I see it as demeaning though per se ... heck I bet a good percentage of our soldiers are playing that same game ;-)

Just my opinion. Though, as one of the greats said once "I ain't often right, but I ain't never been wrong" :p

Signed,

a Veteran

*edit* I seriously didn't mean to rhyme moon and soon ... lol *

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love that commercial; first time i saw i was like "oh no this better not be an add to join the army because it looks like a videogame" a half second later... oh wait, it probably is for a videogame.

Anyway, anyone actually play Black ops? I read up on it and dont really like what i read, said they made it more casual, eliminated the stopping power perk, regen of health. It sounds like Halo combat...

Might go with Medal of Honor, or just get both and sell the one i like less.

K

kemistry

I managed to rent the game, the advert is alright. Its not controversial its good. The game is alright, havent really had the chance to play it fully yet. My favourites were call of duty 2 and modern warfare 2.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally don't see it as any more demeaning to the armed forces than the games themselves making war into entertainment.
If anything, the advert somewhat hangs a lantern on the fact that the people playing the game (and other such games) aren't soldiers.

Edit: I actually quite appreciate the creative approach to it.
^This^
Imo it just shows 'everyday people and beyond' gaming.
An eclectic group of peeps at that.

B

Babble

Is a cute way to say that all people play shooters.

Though the shattner wow shamman still is better :p