• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Big changes to the Pet Power Calculator! (details)

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pet Power Calculator - http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-power-calculator/

* Calculator now ranks pets on a 5-star basis
* Resists = 65% of the score
* Hit points = 25% of the score
* Stats = 10% of the score, unless skills are entered, in which case stats = 5% and skills = 5%
* Min and max skill numbers have been updated on -most- pets to reflect the 10% decrease in skills upon taming. (I'm working on updating them all - though this is such a small difference when skills are only weighted at 5% that it doesn't really affect the score).
* Input form now includes a field for your pet's name
* Pet name displays on result page and on printout
* Thanks have been added to the notes at the bottom of the front page

This calculator now clocks in at 1,258 lines of code :p

In terms of usability, here's my ballpark pet ratings:
5 stars = perfect pet (just about impossible - literally perfect)
4 stars = exceptional pet
3 stars = good pet (personally, I'd say 3.4+ is a keeper)
2 stars = below average pet
1 star = relatively useless pet in battle, unless you're just keeping it for looks

Thanks again to everybody, especially Baldguy at UOForums.com and Llewen in the Stratics tamer forum, for all the help on this calculator!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This deserves a sticky, and not just because I had some input into it...

Just a note. Rune beetles do have anatomy, although, as I said, I don't think it is important.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Actually, I do have one request that would add another 1000 lines to your code. It would be very cool if your results were saved to a database and you could see where your pet ranks among all the pets submitted. I'm not sure how you would prevent abuse though...

Maybe set it up so that you have to register with a valid email (confirmation) if you are going to submit a pet to be ranked, and every pet submitted would have to be "approved". Then you could also submit the shard along with your pet and maybe compare to other pets on your shard as well.
(all this is easy for me to say... I'm not the one doing the hard work...)

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with the 1-10 ended up being that people were misinterpreting the numbers. Even a pet with the absolute minimum skills/stats/hp possible ranks around 75% of the max possible values, making its rating a 7.5/10. People were equating that 75% to an "average" pet (much like getting a grade of 75% in a US school would often be a C - an "average" grade) - when in reality, that 7.5 was the WORST POSSIBLE PET!

So I had to equate the worst possible pet with zero. The easiest way to do this was base it on a 5 point scale (kind of like, A-F in school).

So - the new calculator, if you think of it in terms of school grades, is more like:

5 = A, exceptional
4 = B, above average
3 = C, average
2 = D, below average
1 = F, failing

This seems more intuitive than a 10 point scale where no pet will ever score lower than a 7

I appreciate the feedback! Please send any other comments or suggestions my way!!

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm considering adding a database as a future feature. Preventing abuse is the hard part.

For example, one tool I used to have on the site was an "ingot price pulse." People would input ingot prices on their shards, and you could get an up to the minute look at the going rates. But then people would put in phony data just to be jerks, or put ridiculously inflated or depressed prices to affect the market to their whims, and I had to just take the thing down because I was spending so much time policing the input. *sigh*

I'm thinking an alternative would be, add a button to the result page with something like, "Submit your pet to the hall of fame!" and then I could filter the incoming pets before approving them for the database.

Lots more coding, though, and a lot more hands-on management than I'm up for taking on at the moment
Maybe this summer when I'm off work!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You'd definitely need some admins to help you, and probably include a note to the effect that if you want your pet to be in the hall of fame you have to be prepared to produce it for an admin, or risk having it removed. That was why I was saying a valid email address would be a good thing (ie. registration).

I

imported_Legacyee

With most shards holding a chicken fight clubs at some time or other, is there any plans to include greater chickens into the list of pets at any point.

H

hiai

Just have to comment, like so many others, what a GREAT tool this is, and thank you for the hard work you put into it. I've raved to all my tamer friends about it already, and with the new changes, I'm certain it will be even more useful. I've already determined which pets I need to spend time farming, based on this (can't have a pet less than 9.5, right? lol) Say hello to endless Mare hunting hours. hehehe Thanks, Kitiara!

G

Please sticky this!!!!!! it deserves it....heck if it doesn't get stickied here....I may have to sticky it in the treasure hunters forum....for tamer/treasure hunters!

LOL

G

This calculator now clocks in at 1,258 lines of code :p

From a fellow programmer and scripter, I'd have to say you should look through your code and see if you can cut down on a few lines. 1200 lines for a calculator seems a bit much, especially considering a complete chat system can be coded in 95 lines of code.

I haven't had the chance to use the calculator yet-- afraid the results will tell me the only pets I can tame are the weaker ones. LOL.

H

Harvest Moon

Can you add Kirins to the list while you are at it? You have unicorns but don't have their male counterpart.

G

Great job! Thanks! Can I request squirrels and Fire Beetles for us crafters and RP'ers?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I`ll second that. Even though Ki-rin are Modest compared to their counterparts. The Noble Ki-rin do deserve to be listed.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Literally over half of the code is just storing data for each type of pet (min phys, min fire, min cold, min str, max phys, max fire, max cold, yada yada yada). I could have just strung one variable for "min resists" and "max resists" but I wanted to have the flexibility to add features in the future (such as weighting individual resists, which the calc does not do now).

This is currently just a straight PHP script - no database interaction. That's another thing on the backburner. Storing all that info in a database would cut down the lines of code significantly. If the length of the script appeared to affect performance, I'd make this a higher priority, but response times seem just fine on my end, so I'll leave this sort of tweaking till summer when I'm off work!

This calc was originally born from my own desire to have a quick way to rate pets as I tame them, to see if I should kill them and go for another or keep that one. I was manually calculating each resist on a calculator, then made this so I could just type in the resists. It has grown to much more than I ever anticipated when I started :p

Also - I've got on my notes here to add chickens, kirins, squirrels and fire beetles. Will try to get to that today!

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New pets added 4/29: Ki-rin, chicken, squirrel, fire beetle

Also, fixed a problem in the pet stats where I was misunderstanding the notation for the Anatomy skill on the Vetmaster web site. I was reading a 0 anatomy skill to mean the pet could not gain anatomy, when really it just means the pet has 0 anatomy upon taming. Skills that cannot be gained are denoted with a --- on the web site. (I guess that's the downfall of trying to glean data from a site that is not written in my native language - English!)

All pets have been fixed re: their anatomy skills.

G

Kit if you are interested in having this added to stratics.....send me a pm...I can't promise anything..but I will put you in contact with the Admins that deal with content!

I think this deserved to be added to stractics....like the parry calculator was!

TW

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the suggestion (and the sticky!)

A couple more small tweaks coming to the calculator this weekend:

* When seeking the "perfect pet" (the 95% of max numbers at the bottom of the pet report), values that are lower than the minimum possible will no longer display.

* The scale that the untrained versus trained pets are measured on will be evened out so that the trained power rating is truly comparable to the untrained power rating.

More huge thanks to all who have helped out - this week to Gyeager, who has been a godsend in debating the math of pet values! He's responsible for suggesting this week's tweaks

G

gyeager

Anytime Kit, just let me know if you need anything, you have my e-mail address.

Glad to see the calculator really coming together now, I see it as a priceless tool tamers will use for years to come. Definately deserving of the sticky!

G

Kitiara, I'm delighted & grateful, too, that you've shared your Pet Power Calculator with us. It's both working & looking great for me and is clearly an asset as well as an invaluable tool for tamers of ALL templates.

I waited as long as I did to sticky this thread as it appeared the calculator was still very much in the process of refinement. Let me know if you're happy to keep this as your sticky thread or whether you'd prefer a shiny, brand, spanking new & uncluttered one to share your Pet Power Calculator. Welcome to respond here or PM me as you wish.

To all your fellow contributors, from BaldGuy at UOForums to Gyeager & Llewen here, please accept my thanks on behalf of Stratics Tamer Forum as well as my own thanks & appreciation as just a plain ole tamer.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks Lady Nico for stickying this. I only have one more minor request. Could someone rename the thread so it is very clear exactly what it is. A simple "Pet Power Calculator" would suffice. I just think that anyone coming to the forum for the first time might be confused by the title.

G

I've done an extensive (well, maybe 50 readings as opposed to Stratics' 100 ;P) study on Frenzied Ostards and have found their hit points vary from 71 to 110 while their STR has varied from 111-164 for me, and so I know STR and HP do not correlate in the animal kingdom, but I am curious, while HP should get a 25% weight, I wonder why STR isn't given more weight given that the STR determines the melee damage of the critter? Perhaps it makes for an insignificant difference, but when I look to tame I first look for max physical resist, max STR, and then everything else. Like, on a Cu Sidhe, for example, I'd want more STR for a regular bite than INT for bleed attacks. But then again, on a Bake Kitsune, maybe STR doesn't matter much? (I'm not a Bake Kitsune owner
). Either way, great tool! =)

G

By the way:

Compared to the most powerful Frenzied Ostard, your pet [Social Parasite] has:

97% of the maximum Strength (164 / 169).
100% of the maximum Dexterity (125 / 125).
1180% of the maximum Intelligence (118 / 10).

For Trained pets, might want to change the INT to 125. My guy got a 5.6/5.0 :p

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

By the way:

Compared to the most powerful Frenzied Ostard, your pet [Social Parasite] has:

97% of the maximum Strength (164 / 169).
1180% of the maximum Intelligence (118 / 10).

For Trained pets, might want to change the INT to 125. My guy got a 5.6/5.0 :p

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! Will check what's going on with the frenzied. You said yours was input as trained? Thanks for the heads up!!!

T

Thadius856

Perhaps I just don't understand. When I put in my strongest Cu Sidhes, they get rather low ratings, even though they have superb resists and decent HP. I scroll down to the bottom, where the page tells me...

<blockquote><hr>

Searching for that Perfect Cu Sidhe?
Here are the minimum numbers to look for to find a Cu Sidhe that is at least 95% in each category at birth:

Stats: 600 / 81 / 276
Hit Points: 570
Resists: 62 / 43 / 81 / 48 / 81

[/ QUOTE ]

So, out of curiosity, I wrote it all down, went back a page, and entered in those numbers as a fresh tame. Surprise, surprise. Those 95th-percentile figures merit a 4.0 star rating.

Am I missing something here? I thought 95% in all areas are server bird was supposed to be a perfect 5.0 and anything past that would be slightly above. *scratches head*

[Edit: Just tried again, with a Kit this time. 95th-percentile gets a 4.1 rating, though only because of rounding error - two items report at 96% instead of 95%. Is the entire calculator way off? I must be reading this wrong...]

G

Not that it really matters but you added "a chicken" instead of "a greater chicken" so those %'s are also skewed at max trained:

Power Ratings (% of max):

Stats: 2500% / 833% / 2500%
Hit Points: 4167%
Resists: 200% / 0% / 0% / 0% / 0%

Nice job all around though. I like the utility of it.

G

I also think that the addition of "a giant ice worm" would be beneficial... if anyone wants to second the motion...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Let me know if int on the frenzieds is still whacked. Should be fixed now

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks great =D, thanks!

M

Martino_Bianco

First of all I would like to say that this calculator rules ^^ very useful.

I don't know if you still update it or correct any errors but here's a couple:

Ki-rin (Trained option) - It shows max possible DEX is 105 when really it can be raised to 125

Dragon (Trained option) - It shows their max meditation skill as 0 not 100

Not sure on this one but Tamed Dragons maximum meditation is always 0? If not that would need a change also.

Just thought I would make you aware of this. =) Thanks!

I

imported_Jimmy Pop

Kitiara - Please check your PM's on UOForums.

I've been putting together my own spreadsheet for pets, and wanted to match up with Kitiara's excellent web page for calculating pets power.

But we've discovered a pretty major flaw in the calc.

If I put in the stats for my Bake, I get a power rating of 3.9

When I change it's Hit Points to 0 I get a power rating of 3.8 and when I put in Hit Points of 999 I get a rating of 4.0 which is only a .2 difference for a Hit Point difference of 999!

The problem is in the calculation for hit points. Since the Bake hit points can be 300-350, putting in a 325 *should* result in 50% of max. Instead it reflects 93% which would be correct IF the Bake's minimum hits was 0.

The correct formula for calculating the percentage of a number in a range would be:

Max - Min = Spread
Spread - (Max - Selected) = SelectedDif
(SelectedDif / Spread) * 100 = Percentage

Single Line Calc
((( Max - Min ) - ( Max - Selected )) / ( Max - Min )) * 100

Example:

Bake Kitsune Hit points 300-350, Mine = 348

350 - 300 = 50
50 - ( 350 - 348 ) = 48
( 48 / 50 ) * 100 = 96%

Or

((( 350 - 300 ) - ( 350 - 348 )) / ( 350 - 300 )) * 100

The other calculations are using averages. To make them all play "on the same field" those averages should be converted to % using the scale thats available.

If HP's are going to be a % then the other numbers should be a % as well.

Math pros - please jump in and help out. I'm sure Kitiara wouldn't mind some calculating help here.

G

Great team work, Jimmy Pop!

I think you may have nailed what was niggling at me about the calculations. Since I completely reek at anything remotely mathematical, I am the absolute last person who might have been able to help.

Kitiara requested positive, constructive feedback and you've provided exactly that. I'm certain together you'll be able to improve the wonderful tool that is Kitiara's Pet Power Calculator.

Thank you for contributing in such a positive spirit, Jimmy Pop, and I hope we'll hear from Kitiara soon.

C

Chris686

I don't care to read the entire thread since I don't have the time, so I don't know if this has been suggested yet.

But one thing I'd like to see is less emphasis placed on intelligence on non-casting pets.

e.g. My Cu is only a few points from max resists, HP, Str, and Dex, but has low int.
Therefore he is rated at 3.8 stars out of 5. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, seeing as how the Cu doesn't exactly need a large mana pool to be effective.

D

dum3886

Does it matter if ur pet has been trained or untrained for this calculator?

G

Your Pet's Power Rating: 3.6 [3.8 with skills included]

Compared to the most powerful Cu Sidhe, your pet [VadersFist] has:

98% of the maximum Strength (602 / 612).
94% of the maximum Intelligence (272 / 290).
99% of the maximum Hit Points (591 / 600)
94% of the maximum Physical resist (61 / 65).
93% of the maximum Fire resist (42 / 45).
89% of the maximum Cold resist (76 / 85).
92% of the maximum Poison resist (46 / 50).
96% of the maximum Energy resist (82 / 85).

And that's only a 3.6/3.8?

J

JoyousGard

That is a nice calculator. Where do you learn PHP? I want to do that!!

For my hellkittens HP/STR are most important for me. I tamed one that is 66HP/52STR. According to Stratics, both #s are one off their ideal number (67HP/51STR). So based on the ranges from Stratics for kittens' HP and STR (48-67 and 51-100), I figured the odds of getting an equal or better HP/STR kitten are 1 in 250 attempts.

If the math is right then I feel good knowing that.

I don't know if you can do it without doing a lot of extra work, but a "Your dog[Rattler] is 3 in 67,000!" might be nice.

G

Is this calculator still being updated? Would it be possible to have deathwatch beetles, gamans, and giant ice worms added?

M

Mr Sal

At the stats part of the calculator, I don't think intelligence should be factored in for pets with no spellcasting ability.

Your calculator said my cu sidhe was worse than it was because it had really low intelligence, but intelligence does not matter since it cannot cast spells

G

I'm still trying to understand why a Cu Sidhe with this stats are rated at 3.4. Like the others said, int don't really matters for them. And meditation is capped for trained pet to 0%, when should be 100%. Besides, it's a great idea and I'll favourite the site

Stats: 98% / 100% / 48%
Hit Points: 100%
Resists: 94% / 91% / 98% / 90% / 95%

I

imported_jamison

Odd my white wyrm gets a score of -5.9...

He's a mean SOB too

Hit Points: 433
Str/Dex/Int: 737 / 123 / 395
Resists: 50 / 0 / 50 / 43 / 0

Skills:
Wrestling: 90.6
Tactics: 90.6
Resist: 89.9
Anatomy: 50.5
Healing: 0
Poisoning: 0
Magery: 90.1
Eval Int: 90.5
Meditation: 65.3

How can you get a negative number? Note: This is untrained.

I

imported_JoJo_LA

Probably because of the two 0s in resist. How is that possible anyway?

I

imported_jamison

The fact that the Wrym is pre-resists?
It's years and years and years old. Just never trained.

I quit uo a long time ago and came back. Found all my pets waiting for me!

I

imported_JoJo_LA

yea, the power calculator scores most on resists. With 2 0s, it think your pet is worthless.

To many it'd probably be good for it's uniqueness, kind of like the meat eating unicorns

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It moved today!

UOCraft.com has been moved to a new server and redesigned. I'm glad to report that the move took less than 4 hours, which is much shorter than I expected! You can find the Pet Power Calc at the UOCraft.com home page in the main navigation, or directly here:

New address:
http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-power-calculator/

Here are the latest changes:

- Added Greater Dragons - please feel free to provide feedback, as these numbers seem to still be in flux (ie. we don't have the skill ranges set in stone yet).

- Tweaked the math to more accurately reflect the weighting of resists vs hit points vs stats vs skills.

If you experience anything funky, please let me know! Thanks!!

T

Thunderhammer

I can only put in 999 as a maximum strength, which is far below a Greater Drags capability.

W

Warrior of Time

I think the calculator is a great tool. The trouble is that my pet is rated less with the skills than it is without.

You see she is a squirrel. (cute creeatures) She rates 14.4 (4.4 star) without training. Once trained she is rated at 12.5. (2.5 star)

She is

hp________132
str________125
dex_______125
int________125

The resist is

ph_________34
fire________14
cold________32
poison______22
Energy_____21

Skills

wrestling____100
tactics______100
resist________100
anatomy_____100

We don't even want to talk about a greater chicken, but reg one is useless. No need put a reg one on the list.