• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

BEWARE!!

• Thread starter King Frankie
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
K

King Frankie

Just an warning not everything you click are safe on stratics.

E

Edina Monsoon

And I bet no one at EA Mythic even checked that site to see if they are advertising stuff for sale, and have banners.

"I don't want more things, sweetie, I want better things"

K

King Frankie

i would be pretty embaressed by now if it was me wounder how many that has been hit by it :(

K

Kyrie_Elaison

WOW!

And that's part of an FoF, I know cuz I went there to check it out.

*runs home to check for a Trojan*

T

T_Amon_from_work

You are aware that some products have different threat thresholds that can deliver a "false positive", right? AVG (ver 8, all processes on and updated) does not report anything abnormal from the site.

That said, thank you for the warning ... and if it truly is harmful I will be the first to know, won't I? <chuckle>

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm guessing this is fairly serious. That being said, "Beware" was the best you could do for a title? Not a real attention grabber.

J

Jeremy

My evil corporate antivirus doesn't kick up a warning either - is anyone but the OP getting it?

K

King Frankie

i shouldnt have to say anything at all it shouldnt be there from the start.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Symantec Anti-Virus doesn't find anything wrong with that page. My AV Definition is dated today.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing on Kaspersky. I can't even see any particular code or scripts on that page that would cause that to show up.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Sorry, but someone else in this thread stated a trial version of NOD reported it, bu Norton, AVG, Sophos and others are NOT reporting it.

If you are on a trial version or beta release it may well be a false positive. Honest, what you've done is good, but it really could be this. Please don't get defensive at others words when I believe they are trying to help.

I once saw McAfee do a false positive on a MS Office CD - gotten at work from the MSDN (MS Developer Network) subscription we had. Norton also barfed on it. Why? Because the heuristic code used in Office for internal macroing and detection created a string of characters that reported as a virus. It does happen.

K

King Frankie

Sorry, but someone else in this thread stated a trial version of NOD reported it, bu Norton, AVG, Sophos and others are NOT reporting it.

If you are on a trial version or beta release it may well be a false positive. Honest, what you've done is good, but it really could be this. Please don't get defensive at others words when I believe they are trying to help.

I once saw McAfee do a false positive on a MS Office CD - gotten at work from the MSDN (MS Developer Network) subscription we had. Norton also barfed on it. Why? Because the heuristic code used in Office for internal macroing and detection created a string of characters that reported as a virus. It does happen.
Might be it, but i dont see why NOD would make an quaratine file without something in it?! the virus signature file got updated just before i checked that link i felt it was quite alarming to have that pop up in my face when i know alot of iffy sites are out there. I thought a warning was in place and did so.

peace

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Might be it, but i dont see why NOD would make an quaratine file without something in it?! the virus signature file got updated just before i checked that link i felt it was quite alarming to have that pop up in my face when i know alot of iffy sites are out there. I thought a warning was in place and did so.

peace
Are there anymore options in NOD to display what script it was blocking?

It lists it as a JS trojan downloader, so there should be some further documentation as to what it blocked.

K

King Frankie

Are there anymore options in NOD to display what script it was blocking?

It lists it as a JS trojan downloader, so there should be some further documentation as to what it blocked.
i have the option to quaratine it or open the file i dont dare doing that becuase i dont wanna sit there like a fool seeing my computer beeing eaten :) i can rar the file and mail it if you want then you can check it out. if you arent here tomorrow we would know why ;)

A

AdamD

Seems like a false positive to me
It only happens with nod when you click the link in the fof
But, "Noscript" doesn't show any suspicious scripts running on the site.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spyware Doctor did not react either on the elverorder link...

My last auto update was 2 hours ago...

-Mina-

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen others reports turning up of false positives for ESET's NOD32 - here for example.

No security programs will ever be 100%, ESET themselves acknowledge that false positives will sometimes creep through, as their website says

"Low False Positive Rate
A very low false positive rate ensures that the “good” files on your computer will not be flagged as malware. This is due to the intelligent synergistic use of advanced heuristics and generic signatures. ESET ThreatSense has produced the fewest false positives in its long history of testing with Virus Bulletin. "

I don't personally use ESET, but I don't doubt they provide excellent software - just looks like, this time, it's been a little too sensitive and triggered an unnecessary alert.

A

Amathist of PoC

no issue from Avast either viewed the site fine no virus detected. Mine updates every day sometimes more then once lol.

U

ultima online

it most possible that they had a .php script error that was flagged as a trojan, and since on their site they said they where having issues with their forums that may be the case and nod has an over-sensitivity to .php scripts

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my mac anti-virus reports a threat for windows but none of my windows stuff reports a thing.