• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Better Performance through SoundProofing

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes you read the title correctly. This is one topic I have been wanting to discuss for a long time. The term is pretty self explanatory. Soundproofing is the blocking or absorption of sound waves (aka noise).

Now if your in the music and recording industry, you probably are well aware of Soundproofing, but if you are a PC enthusiast, be it business or home you might want to look into this technology.

The benefits of soundproofing is well apparent. The absence of background noise helps on ones focus, concentration as well as your mood and often promotes efficiency. In plane words no distractions.

Discuss..

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've thought about trying that, but the fiance would find her way in anyway.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've thought about trying that, but the fiance would find her way in anyway.
If you were to go all out, say with double pane windows, sliding doors etc it could fall under a home improvement loan.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe even an energy efficiency tax rebate from 0bama.

O

Old Man of UO

Maybe even an energy efficiency tax rebate from 0bama.
LAUGH... but this CAN be done and get the whole system paid for.

As of the September report, of the infrastructure portion of the ARRA $800 billion earmarked for infrastructure rebuilding, only 14% of the money has been spent and of that 92% went to non-infrastructure projects.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm shocked that 8% of anything touched by any government went to its actual intended purpose.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a more serious note, yes, I do utilise soundproofing. There is a wonderful product on the market called Dynamat. It is marketed mainly to automotive sound people to reduce vibration in cars. One strip of this stuff, about 1" by 6" stuck to the inside of a PC case with eliminate virtually all vibration inside the case.

O

Old Man of UO

On a more serious note, yes, I do utilise soundproofing. There is a wonderful product on the market called Dynamat. It is marketed mainly to automotive sound people to reduce vibration in cars. One strip of this stuff, about 1" by 6" stuck to the inside of a PC case with eliminate virtually all vibration inside the case.
Does it make a noticeable difference in the noise level? Users should be aware that this stuff also acts as insulation, so you want to be sure you have good ventilation or temp monitors on.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think a 1x6" strip would insulate anything, just slap it on the inside of the case somewhere. Noise difference is noticeable.

O

Old Man of UO

I dont think a 1x6" strip would insulate anything, just slap it on the inside of the case somewhere. Noise difference is noticeable.
OOOOh! I thought it was 1" thick! doooh!

They do (or did at one time) make an insulation that covers the whole inside shell of your PC to reduce noise.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have any of you seen the fanless Coolermaster A/C case? Freakin mini A?C compressor on top of the case that cools everything! Rated sound is less than 10db

O

Old Man of UO

Have any of you seen the fanless Coolermaster A/C case? Freakin mini A?C compressor on top of the case that cools everything! Rated sound is less than 10db
Sounds pretty cool. I've been a fan of Shuttle cases with their CPU cooling pipes, but they still use a fan for the power supply. I've got a nice, large copper and fan CPU cooler on my latest tower, but still wish I could get rid of the noise.The problem with these Coolmaster cases is they are limited in the heat dissipation to 35 Watts (newer and larger versions to 55W and 85W for the Cube), and starting price just for the case is $250. But for am Atom or dual-core driven net appliance, this would be great, just not a gaming machine.