• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best regen for non-med template?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Discord Tamer template on Siege. Mana is mostly used for spamming heal/greater heal at pets, though having enough mana to survive PvP encounters is a consideration.

Is it better to go with studded leather for the 55 LMC cap, or leather armor for the passive regen boost in a template with 0 meditation or focus? With 125 int and a disposable suit with 6 MR, capped LMC. MR could be taken to 12 if there's a significant difference, though the disposable suit then becomes much more expensive.

I like to think the extra LMC will counter the less effective MR but I've been away for a while and I'm not sure. Any input is appreciated.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The LMC bnus
Discord Tamer template on Siege. Mana is mostly used for spamming heal/greater heal at pets, though having enough mana to survive PvP encounters is a consideration.

Is it better to go with studded leather for the 55 LMC cap, or leather armor for the passive regen boost in a template with 0 meditation or focus? With 125 int and a disposable suit with 6 MR, capped LMC. MR could be taken to 12 if there's a significant difference, though the disposable suit then becomes much more expensive.

I like to think the extra LMC will counter the less effective MR but I've been away for a while and I'm not sure. Any input is appreciated.
Without Meditation, you are probably better off going with the Studded Leather for the additional LMC. Each piece of studded armor (up to 5 pieces) gives you 3% LMC, beyond the LMC cap of 40%. You will still need to have 40% LMC on your suit, in order to reach 55% LMC. The LMC will effectively increase your maximum mana, but you will still notice the poor mana regeneration (even with regular leather armor).

You can use these sources to further explore the specific mana regeneration rate:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/meditation.php
http://www.uoguide.com/Mana_Regeneration

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you test this out please post your results, I am very interested in what you find. I am a disco/peace tamer and primarily use my mana pool to sustain the bard masteries (I use vet to heal my pets). Right now I am using leather armor for the passive mana regen with 40 LMC and I think around 16 MR. I don't have med or focus either as my template is pretty tight. I have toyed with the idea of trying out a studded set but I don't have time to put one together right now (stupid RL).

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been running a studded LMC55 MR6 suit for a few days now and it's definitely acceptable, I just wasn't sure on exactly where the cutoff would be for which is better.

I did some math. Double check it, because I did it on break during a long day at work.
Below are the costs of relevant spells/masteries after LMC. I'm not sure which way the rounding goes, but lets say that if a spell costs 2.4 mana, it really costs 3 mana.

40 LMC
---
Heal - 3 (2.4)
GHeal - 7 (6.6)

Trib - 18, 6 upkeep
Desp - 18, 8 (7.2)
Resil - 18, 3 (2.4)
Pers - 18, 3

55 LMC
---
Heal - 2 (1.8)
GHeal - 5 (4.95)

Trib - 14 (13.5), 5 (4.5) upkeep
Desp - 14 (13.5), 6 (5.4)
Resil - 14 (13.5), 2 (1.8)
Pers - 14 (13.5), 3 (2.25)

At 6 MR you have 0.6 mana regen per second in non-med and 0.9 in medable armor, 50% faster regen in LMC40 than LMC55.
At 12 MR you have 0.9 mana regen per second in non-med and 1.2 in medable armor, 33% faster regen in LMC40 than LMC55.

Spamming Heal is 50% more expensive in LMC40 than LMC55.
Greater Heal is 40% more expensive.
Bard Masteries are 28% more expensive.

In conclusion, both are fine for everyday use. I don't have the time right now to draw a conclusion about which is better when pushed to the limit.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Spamming Heal is 50% more expensive in LMC40 than LMC55.
Greater Heal is 40% more expensive.
Bard Masteries are 28% more expensive.
This is wrong. It doesn't depend on a spell used.

To get 45 mana for 10 sec you need 4.5 MR.
To get 60 mana for 10 sec you need 6.0 MR.
So having 4.5 MR with 55 LMC is the same as having 6.0 MR with 40 LMC.
So to compare MR you just need to multiply non-med value by 1.33

For example, 1.0 non med MR (55 LMC) is the same as 1.33 med MR (40 LMC).

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
On SP I suggest you to use studded armor and get as much focus as you can.
1. Reforging 3 MR is much cheaper than imbuing 2 MR.
2. SR from focus will be useful as well

Having MR, LMC, LRC, MI, HPI on each armor piece and some FC, FCR, DCI, resists, skills on jewels sounds good for me. You also can reforge DCI instead of MR on some armor pieces (depending on a book and a shield you use).

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is wrong. It doesn't depend on a spell used.
The circle of spell really does matter due to the fact that mana cost is rounded.

If you're spamming first circle spells, 55% is really 50% LMC, and 40% is really 25% LMC.
Every 9% LMC makes a difference for fourth circle, and every 5% LMC makes a difference for sixth.

I'm working on getting some runics for reforging already, and I've got focus in RoT. Even in the mid 70s it's definitely useful, but it'll probably end up being soulstoned off for most PvM.
I run with Swords of Prosperity for defense. Not without their flaws, but convenient enough when Siege blessed.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And thanks for your input as well. I hadn't really considered putting MI/HPI on a suit, but I suppose it would add up nicely with it on every piece.

There's no realistic way to reforge for both luck 150 and MR3, is there? At least, not without burning billions trying?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I think it is near to impossible to get both 150 luck and 3 mr.
Even 150 luck alone will be very expensive since you need to use Forged Metal of Artifacts for enhancing.
With 3 MR you can enhance without the tool. Chances to succeed are reasonable taking in account low reforging price.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
190 luck needs spine enhancement, but 150 luck can be straight reforged.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I don't know.
The data I gained with tests is not the same as I get by formula/calculator.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as you enhance it with something that doesn't touch the luck doesn't it have the same chance of failing as any other piece with equivalent resists?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I think so. This means about 30%. You need horned tools for 150 luck and spinned tools for 3 MR.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be the best use of a barbed tool? Are they just rolling the dice and hoping the extra mods are useful, or can they be used reliably?