• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Best MS OS?

F

Fink

I'm having a PC built, just wondering which version of Windows to run. I'll post the specs for the techies to decipher..

G31 Motherboard
Intel 5200 Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz
4GB RAM
320GB HDD x 2
9800 GT 512MB DDRx3
23.6" LCD HD 2ms x 2

I'm leaning toward Win XP as that's what I know, but I'm told it's getting hard to find a new license (something about buying a business license and downgrading?). I've heard less than brilliant things about Vista, and I know nothing of Windows 7. I've also tried running *nix systems but it's a bit too much DYI for my feeble brain; I'm afraid I'm more of a consumer than an operator.

My questions would be..

- Which Windows will best take advantage of my hardware?
- Which is considered the most friendly to Enhanced Client?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd definitely recommend Windows XP.
Anything below XP is outdated. Vista is toxic waste. Windows 7 is anything but an efficient operating system, only with less bugs than Vista.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Shrug*

You can still get XP Home and Professional from TigerDirect.

For all that read what follows, IT ONLY APPLIES TO THE RC / RTM of Windows 7 (because I have them in my hand so to speak). In short I do NOT TRUST MICROSOFT any further than I can throw the collective work force.

Windows 7 stands to be the most significant improvement in Windows since 2K was vs 9x/ME/NT. XP vs 2K was fundamentally just a user interface improvement.

On a system very close to yours, we would mostly only differ in these items.

My CPU is a Q6600 @ 2.66GHZ and a G43 (or is it a G42) Mother/Main Board.

I have found that Windows 7 on average, has approximately a 15% to 20% better performance that Windows XP Professional.

I base that on XP Prof 32B vs Windows 7 32B.

I run Windows 7 RTM 64B.

I will not upgrade any of the Windows 7 systems until the 6/1/2010 expiration date. As I said I DO NOT TRUST MICROSOFT. So I will use that time to evaluate if they pull a last minute switch. Now having said that, I do NOT believe they will.

If I were you I would put my money down on the Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Home, if your looking to economize.

Now having said all of the above, do you have a XP License that you bought from a Store somewhere or are they all Manufacturing/OEM Licenses.

If you have a Store bought License, then you have a valid License that can be transferred to this new machine (unless they have snuck some change to the agreement in within the last 2 years).

The challenge would be to get it installed. Mostly any more for the newer machines (your G31 chipset just may work) the NON SP2 (or later) Installation CD will quit because of, mostly, the PCI driver. There are ways to get around this, but it gets increasingly more technical and in the end may be more expensive (time wise) than to just buy the Windows XP Home SP3 (or is it SP2) from Tiger Direct for I think under $100.

What follows is just my opinion, Windows VISTA was made with RIAA as Microsoft's Bed Mate.

Recoding Industry Association of America

To this end Microsoft via Balmer believed they could FORCE everyone in the world to conform to Microsoft/Balmer/RIAA as being the worlds legal enforcement tool/agency for Digital Rights management. As such they deliberately coded Non support/Limited support for devices and software that did NOT pass their ... well agenda. Enough said, it is all yesterdays news.

Windows 7 RC / RTM has demonstrated, so far, a divergence from that posture.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd definately go with Win7 if you're going to get a new PC. Why go with an 8 yr old OS that's being phased out?
I've tested Win 7 and I love it. I've managed to put it on an old Pentium4, 1.8 ghz, 512MB Sdram (older than ddr) and it works. Vista was too powerful for it, yet Win 7 is streamlined to function more efficiently. And it's polished!

Win7 is coming out Oct 22, and this may in part be why EC is in beta. (A selling point for later?)

If you get a new PC with Vista, make sure they give you the free Win 7 upgrade voucher.

R

Radix

Install win xp proffesional, this O.S should fly in your system.

i dont know win 7, maybe this os is ok, but its too new, sure it have a lot of issues with all programs for a while, a friend have tried uo (2d!) in win 7 and says it crashes a lot.

Or install both, in two diferent partitions, compare and decide ;)

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never Windows XP all over 3 GB Ram should use Windows Vista or Windows 7 x64.

I recommend that you use Windows 7 x64 which version should be equal and depends on your cashflow ;).

O

Old Man of UO

Never Windows XP all over 3 GB Ram should use Windows Vista or Windows 7 x64.

I recommend that you use Windows 7 x64 which version should be equal and depends on your cashflow ;).
Do as Lucitus says, Windows 7 x64... and do yourself a big favor and add an additional 4GB RAM for 8 total. There's a noticeable difference.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Install win xp proffesional, this O.S should fly in your system.

i dont know win 7, maybe this os is ok, but its too new, sure it have a lot of issues with all programs for a while, a friend have tried uo (2d!) in win 7 and says it crashes a lot.

Or install both, in two diferent partitions, compare and decide ;)
UO 2D crashed infinitely more in XP than it does on either Vista Home Premium 64-bit OR Windows 7 RC 64-bit.

Go with Windows 7, 64-bit. Pick whichever edition you want. It runs amazingly.

F

Fink

I'd definitely recommend Windows XP.
Anything below XP is outdated. Vista is toxic waste. Windows 7 is anything but an efficient operating system, only with less bugs than Vista.
Went with XP as this was the response I'd had by the time of purchase. Old or phased out doesn't bother me or I'd have given up UO long ago.

I typically reinstall the OS every 6-12 months, depending on how much work I have on at the time (I wait for a lull before tearing things apart). I might skip Vista and give Windows 7 a shot next time around. I gather it's in beta at the moment?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might skip Vista and give Windows 7 a shot next time around. I gather it's in beta at the moment?

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Not really, the RTM designation means it was Released To Manufacturing and as such should equal the commercial release that is scheduled for midish October. Or in short less that a month from now.

D

Dar_Napa

I've actually been running Windows 7 sence beta and it works great. I am now running Window 7 Ultimate release version with no problems.

O

Old Man of UO

Not really, the RTM designation means it was Released To Manufacturing and as such should equal the commercial release that is scheduled for midish October. Or in short less that a month from now.
October 22 is the official release date.