• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Best Method to Raise Swordsmanship

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, I finished my parry training (finally). I'm working swords now. I'm interested to hear what you all recommend as the fastest method to raise. I'm at 86.5 now and scrolled to 115 (max). I've been whacking hired male paladins, but even with a skinning knife, I'm destroying them. I'm almost constantly healing them. Fortunately, through my parry training I'm at 88 healing and anatomy so I'm able to keep him alive (so far). My dex is 122 so I'm swinging fairly fast.

What do you all recommend? Thanks for your inputs.

-OBSIDIAN -

L

LadyMargaret

I just train my guys in Shame, and maybe get some virtue rewards out of the deal. That might take longer than you like though.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not a fan of powergaming stats and skills right up (with very few exceptions). I try to gain mine to game play. I finished my swords off by fighting harpies in ilsh. You can usually get 2 stones at a time there, plus regular ones. They do the trick pretty well.

But shame is also a great place to train. Eath ellies on level one, and air and dull copper ellies on level 2.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are many many places where you can gain from upper 80's to 115 skills, and in most cases, you don't have to go to different places to work different levels of skills.

A few of them:
Ilshenar: Harpies, blood elementals, cyclopses, juka
Tokuno: darn near anything. Fan dancers, samurai, Yomotsu (in the mines) assassin and thieves, rotting corpses- Tokuno is great for the high spawn rate as well.
Legacy dungeons: earth and ore elementals, blood elementals, ogre lords, cyclopses, dragons
ML dungeons: Anything named (Miasma, Coil, etc), minotaur, ogre lords, cyclops, poison elementals, troglodytes, changelings

And that's just a few. There are others, such as the denizens of the crystal dungeon, who work great for training, but are too dangerous or troublesome to go at it alone sometimes. But they still work.

If you're just into training with little risk and a lot of reward, than cyclopses, fan dancers or troglodytes will take you to 115 quickly, easily and with a lot of gold on the side.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one thing I can tell you for certain, the golem method did not work at all for me.

I'm glad it didn't too. I don't know if I would be able to enjoy my achievement knowing how I got it.

1needy1

iwant to do trap removal can u advise me and tell me how and howlong it takes thx

G

GFY

I'm not really big on golem wacking either. :coco:

What I do when working up a weapon skill is get max hci (bushido lightning strike works very well) and a fast weapon that doesn't do much damage. (remember your not going for kills you want to gain skills!) Then I go down to Ice dungeon and kill Artic Ogre Lords. They are slow moving, they spawn regularly but 1 at a time, and they don't cast spells. Plus you get a decent amount of gold in loot. You'll need good physical and cold resist but you should be able to max out a weapon skill very quickly.

Good Luck & Good Hunting :thumbsup:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not really big on golem wacking either. :coco:

What I do when working up a weapon skill is get max hci (bushido lightning strike works very well) and a fast weapon that doesn't do much damage. (remember your not going for kills you want to gain skills!) Then I go down to Ice dungeon and kill Artic Ogre Lords. They are slow moving, they spawn regularly but 1 at a time, and they don't cast spells. Plus you get a decent amount of gold in loot. You'll need good physical and cold resist but you should be able to max out a weapon skill very quickly.

Good Luck & Good Hunting :thumbsup:
I help my guildmates power train. I hop on a spell weaver and cast Dryad Allure on the artic ogre lord. Take it back to my house and tell it to follow me. Works up your weapon skill fast. Use a 100% psn dmg weapon and you wont hurt it at all.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
iwant to do trap removal can u advise me and tell me how and howlong it takes thx
Try starting a new thread in the UO Players corner forum. Someone there should help you.

And not to be a jerk, but It's kinda rude to ask for advice in someone else's thread when it's not even asking for advice on the same topic as the thread you're posting in.

G

GFY

Try starting a new thread in the UO Players corner forum. Someone there should help you.

And not to be a jerk, but It's kinda rude to ask for advice in someone else's thread when it's not even asking for advice on the same topic as the thread you're posting in.
Ditto:twak:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All,

Thanks for your inputs. I usually "train" my skills up to max before I engage in serious combat. That's just the way I've done it for a while now. I'm gaining well with the Paladins (and healing too). I'm going through a billion bandages... fortunately wool is free. So far I'm at 97 swordsmanship. I took a break and went to Shame to kill Earth Elementals for money. It worked pretty well. I even got a nice Demon Slayer kryss. Won't help this guy, but it should fetch him a little cash on a vendor.

I was just wondering if you had any other methods to help me raise quickly. My big problem is that I've over skilled the character. While I worked parry and swords, I worked bushido simultaneously... and meditation. I figured I might as well work the med. It was free. But now I need to move off the skill points so I can finish training some of my skills. I'll just soul stone the meditation and move it to a future mage/bard or mage/tamer.

Thanks again for the inputs!

-OBSIDIAN-

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best advice I can give you for training any skill, is to keep your total overall skill low. I was having a terrible time training my tamer (on average he'd gain .1 every 2 or 3 days), so much so I thought he was bugged or something. Finally someone suggested I soulstone off the skills I wasn't currently training. I did that, and his total skills dropped from 720 down to mid 300's, and I started gaining without any trouble again. Granted I can't really take him into combat anymore because his only 3 skills right now are taming, lore and vet. But I figured he deserves some time off to get his taming maxed out.

When it comes to serious training, soulstones are one of the most important tools you could have in my opinion. For the most part though, as I mentioned before, I prefer to raise my skills naturally though game play. But on the rare occasions that I do try to concentrate on one skill, and just grind until it's done, soul stones are the way to go.

B

Bouche835

I am almost done with my swordmans. The last skills I am working is Bushido. I am 105 now but going to 120...but back to the skill at hand. I started training swords in the painted caves once I hit the high 80 or low 90 and I trained all the way to 120. If you don't have one..get a soul seeker and wack away. The trog response rate is high. Just pick a corner and go at it.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had great success training macing, fencing, and swordsmanship on juka warriors once I've exceeded 95 skill. The gains from earth elementals slow way down after you reach 95.

Stayin Alive,

BG

L

Lady_Mina

I'm not a fan of endless boring training either.

So i go to dungeons to train my chars...you gain skill and you get loot.

S

Salty Pete

I'm not a fan of endless boring training either.

So i go to dungeons to train my chars...you gain skill and you get loot.
It also gets you comfortable with specials, timing heals and deciding what kind of strategies to use in combat.