• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] Before you start freaking out - MAKING BOARDS HAS CHANGED!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As of the mini-publish of 26 March 2009, the method of making boards out of logs has changed.

No longer does it involve the use of a carpenter tool.

It does, however, require EITHER the Lumberjack or Carpentry skill needed for the wood type to make the conversion.

Boards are now made by using your axe on the pile of logs (in your pack), theyby bypassing the wood type check that made lumberjacking on a carpenter such a pain.

Making boards does not require the axe to be in hand (the way chopping trees to get the logs, actually does).

As making normal boards was a 0-skill job before, it is likely that anyone should still be able to turn normal wood logs into bards.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just happened to have picked up some dumped logs with a char that has neither lumberjack nor carpentry. She is, however, a tinker. So with a hatchet she turned 50 logs into 50 boards in her pack. Targeting logs in a beetle's pack gives no message or result, targeting 50 logs in a secure gives the message 'this item must be in your back pack to be used' Same message when targeting logs on the ground.

[edit] These were plain logs.

S

Sharantyr

As Petra said....seems any character can now make boards from logs as long as they're in your backpack.

F

Facehugga

And how about colored wood?

Is that true that now needed Carpentry AND Lumberjacking to make colored boards off from logs?

If yes there will be a big problem by any pure crafter template :(

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, you're reading it wrongly - not helped by the boards not being able to do the table the same way.
It's carpentry OR lumberjack.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I just tried it with my lumberjack and he can make wood out of logs using the axe in his backpack. I tried it with ash and frostwood and it works well for those (no carpentry skill)

F

Facehugga

Ah cool

so i dont need lumber on my crafter template

i was just scared of this idea heheh

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SWEEEEET!

This is how it should have been from the get go.

I can understand needing high carpentry or bowcraft to make stuff out of the rare woods but the idea of having to have high carpentry to simply turn the logs into boards was about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Thank you EA for changing this. Big improvement. HUGE.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Adding this as a sticky, since people can't seem to notice there's a big "Update for BOARDS!" tag on the carpentry FAQ.....
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's carpentry OR lumberjack.
Not Bowcrafting. I just verified this on TC1 with a character that had 100 Bowcraft, 0 Lumberjacking, and 0 Carpentry. I tried to use an axe on bloodwood logs and got a messeage "you don't know how to work this unusual wood". I didn't see any mention of Bowcraft in this thread, but now it is.

Stayin Alive,

BG