• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Beetles

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't their packs be opened as the packs from horses and llamas can? IMO, this should be changed to allow us nosey thieves to look inside their packs when they are not mounted...la

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't see why you can't. However, I don't see a "pack" on the beetles themselves. I assume the storage space is in the beetle itself in some kind of cavity. In that case I doubt it would let you poke around inside it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Double clicking a packhorse/llama opens its pack
double clicking a horse mounts the horse
double clicking a beetle mounts the beetle - therefore to open the beetle's pack needs an alternative action. Currently via the context menu. You wish to add 'snoop' to the context menu of tame beetles owned by other people?

D

DHMagicMan_1

I don't like theives so I don't think they should get anything new.

Nothing new for thieves!

((I'm just kidding. I don't play a theif and don't play in Fel so if this is something that would make sense for people who play this style I have no objection. I'm just being objectionable the way some people post about "No more colors" or whatever in threads that don't affect them or they could easily ignore. ))

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Double clicking a packhorse/llama opens its pack
double clicking a horse mounts the horse
double clicking a beetle mounts the beetle - therefore to open the beetle's pack needs an alternative action. Currently via the context menu. You wish to add 'snoop' to the context menu of tame beetles owned by other people?
Alt or Ctrl / double click would be fine with me...la

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To save you some valuable time. My Siege chars never have anything worth stealing in their beetles rolleyes:

S

Sheridan

Don't see why you can't. However, I don't see a "pack" on the beetles themselves. I assume the storage space is in the beetle itself in some kind of cavity. In that case I doubt it would let you poke around inside it.
Snooping + Anatomy or Veterinary then? ;)

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can't their packs be opened as the packs from horses and llamas can? IMO, this should be changed to allow us nosey thieves to look inside their packs when they are not mounted...la
Perhaps it was done this way to discourage the theives and perplex them. LA! lol

F

Flora Green

Don't any of you care about the poor beetles? They are beaten into submission before entering captivity. Their abdominal cavity is used for storage, they have ingots smelted on them which means somehow they are being heated and they poop ingots. On top of all that Rico wants to snoop around in them!:sad3:

R

Rix/\

introduce a new thieves tool for snooping beetles, like some kind of bug spray.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be interesting if a tinker who owned a pack horse/llama or beetle could tinker trap them so that if a thief snooped them they would take damage from the tinker trap.

Sort of like the current system of trapped items; the higher the tinker skill the more powerful the trap.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love for thieves to be able to unlock items in other people's packs...heck for that matter disarm traps too...It would require a lot of extra skill points used for a thief to get something out of a players pack...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't any of you care about the poor beetles? They are beaten into submission before entering captivity. Their abdominal cavity is used for storage, they have ingots smelted on them which means somehow they are being heated and they poop ingots. On top of all that Rico wants to snoop around in them!:sad3:
That part got me to thinking. If a fire beetle's shell is hot enough to melt ingots, how are people managing to sit on top of them and ride them around? Just a thought.

BTW Rico, I'm with you. We need to be able to snoop those beetles!

U

UOKaiser

That part got me to thinking. If a fire beetle's shell is hot enough to melt ingots, how are people managing to sit on top of them and ride them around? Just a thought.

BTW Rico, I'm with you. We need to be able to snoop those beetles!
I try to think of it like in the movies where a type of ridable fire creature can tone down all the heat to nothing for its rider and turn it up for people it dont like. So assume fire beetle turns the heat off to acceptable levels when the rider gets on or the cavity of the fire beattle is super hot to melt that ingot like the cavity of the blue beetle can hold items.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, you know your sticky fingers would be in danger, if you as a stranger put them into the Beetles pack. Since these eat meat - your fingers would be welcome as food. To save you from this pain, you do not even get the chance.
You see - its all to your best ...

S

Sheridan

I prefer to think of the fire beetles eating the ore and crapping out the ingots as if they had a specialized stomach for it. :D

OldAsTheHills

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree...but if your sticky fingers are in the saddlebags when the beetle
owner mounts, may your fingers be smashed and ouch... you are revealed!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd accept that. I just want to be able to see what all those people are hiding when they are moving house locations...la

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or the cavity of the fire beattle is super hot to melt that ingot like the cavity of the blue beetle can hold items.
So, if there is this super hot cavity on the fire beetles, shouldn't (by logic) I be able to stuff the largest piece of coal I can get my hands on into that cavity and have it produce a diamond?

If that's the case, I'm renaming by beetle, because that analogy reminds me of a guy I used to work for. The office opinion of him around the office was he was so uptight if you stuck a lump of coal up his butt you'd have a diamond in a week. Maybe I should rename by fire beetle Kevin? :D

E

Evilminion

Snoop + Veterinary + shoulder length gloves ...
TOO MUCH INFORMATION! Heehee!

Seriously, though, I've never played a thief, so I didn't realize this wasn't an option. Leaving aside the question of where exactly the beetles store all that stuff... :eek: ...I see no reason thieves shouldn't be allowed to peek in the beetle's "pack".

S

Sweeney

I don't see why snoop can't be made an active skill (with the blue button on the skill list). It follows the same mechanics as Stealth which can be used by walking or manually clicking the button, even if I have no idea why stealth has an option to be done manually.

It's an easy add-on.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do to the mechanics of a beetle I don't think it's snoopable..... just my opinion... But I don't think it has a "bag" per say as it has more of a compartment..... which I am SURE if you had to lift his wing to get into he definitely would notice.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see why snoop can't be made an active skill (with the blue button on the skill list). It follows the same mechanics as Stealth which can be used by walking or manually clicking the button, even if I have no idea why stealth has an option to be done manually.

It's an easy add-on.
I think that's a throw back to when stealth didn't automatically work when you started walking. Back in the old days (if memory serves me correct) you had to actually hide, manually use stealth, then count your steps and manually start to stealth again. Talk about a huge P.I.T.A.

What about what Anakena asked? Is it possible to random steal from them? (Yes, Rico, I know REAL thieves don't random steal, but humor me.)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, you can random steal.

I parked my crafter's loaded beetle in our Felucca house on Europa. Logged in (different account) my light fingered beggar . (She's not a 'proper' thief, she doesn't have snooping) She was able to randomly acquire several things from the beetle - and totally screwed up 9 orange petals, The game now insists they're feathers, can't eat them. Tried putting them in a secure, closing the client, still feathers. Can't make arrows with them though :D